PDA

View Full Version : Dippin' Dots and Astronaut Ice Cream

Rye
01-25-2006, 09:55 PM
I'm not really one for food threads, but this is something I have to discuss. I've finally tried Dippin' Dots after years of never trying it but always wanting to. I had Rainbow Flavour, it tasted like sherbert a bit, but much better. It was so good and very pretty. Do you like Dippin' Dots? Do you find them crazy or a good idea?

It reminds me ever so slightly of Astronaut Ice Cream, only because they say it's the ice cream of the future.

Ever try Astronaut Ice Cream? It's really expensive, or at least was in the gift shop, but delicious. We went on a field trip to some place with a Planetarium when I was in 6th or 7th grade (Which would make me 11-12 at the time) and the gift shop had some, so my friend bought some and gave me a piece. It's so hard to describe it since it's been a while. It tasted a bit sweeter than ice cream, and it had substance, it wasn't like cotton candy, but it was really soft. It's vacuum packed and all. Astronauts eat that since you obviously can't eat ice cream in space, it'd float around and make a bit mess. :)

EDIT: It looks like this, actually:

http://nasastore.jsc.nasa.gov/photos/snacks.JPG

And Dippin' Dots, for those who have never seen it, is attached. :)

Chris
01-25-2006, 09:57 PM
I'd love to send Old Manus out to space with some of that. Maybe then he'll learn! xD

Old Manus
01-25-2006, 09:58 PM
I like the look of those ACTION SNACKS

Other than that I have no idea what these things are

EDIT: omg chris I thought you were my g/f

kire mayn
01-25-2006, 10:02 PM
I've always had issues with how expensive that astronaut ice cream is. Why would you pay that much for that little of dehydrated ice cream when you can buy a carton of real ice cream for just as much. And no, dippin dots does not remind me of astronaut ice cream.

Darkone311
01-25-2006, 10:07 PM
I LOVE DIPPIN DOTS they taste better than regular ice cream to me

-N-
01-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Dippin' Dots - the ice cream from the future!

mooglebunni608
01-25-2006, 10:09 PM
omg i haven't had that atsronaut stuff in years! that stuff was so awesome!!!
Yeah, the reason i bought dippin dots in the first place was cause i tought it'd be like the astronought stuff.... but it wasn't . It was still good tho....
yummy.....

Kamiko
01-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Dippin Dots is SO MUCH FUN!!
Mainly cos it's easier to lob at people than regular ice cream.

Reine
01-25-2006, 10:24 PM
lol, that stuff looks odd

Shlup
01-25-2006, 10:37 PM
I always get Dippin' Dots when I got to Six Flags. They make me happy. :}

It's just regular ice cream, but frozen with nitrogen so the freezing process is much faster, causing the ice cream to bead. It was invented by a couple of farm boys screwing around with ice cream and the freezer-thing farmers keep bull semen in.

Shoeberto
01-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Dippin' Dots is yumfun!

Rye
01-25-2006, 10:43 PM
I always get Dippin' Dots when I got to Six Flags. They make me happy. :}

It's just regular ice cream, but frozen with nitrogen so the freezing process is much faster, causing the ice cream to bead. It was invented by a couple of farm boys screwing around with ice cream and the freezer-thing farmers keep bull semen in.

Wow. xD Messing around with ice cream and bull semen freezers is the formula for success!

Rase
01-26-2006, 12:17 AM
I don't see the point in paying as much as I see them being sold for if all I get is a little bowl of frozen ice cream.

Little Jane
01-26-2006, 12:45 AM
Always got to treat yourself with some Dippin Dots from Six Flags :D one of the greatest icecreams to have on a hot day. Much better then regular icecream. Tastes different.....Ducks like them too. :)

rubah
01-26-2006, 01:11 AM
I had a space peach and chocolate space cream. For free. At space camp.

It was sorta cardboardy, but delicious.

Dippin' dots are just weird.

Necronopticous
01-26-2006, 01:21 AM
I don't like anything invented by curious farmers.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
01-26-2006, 01:41 AM
Ive always walked by in the mall wanting some so bad!!!!
I' ll try it next time I go to the mall :)

kikimm
01-26-2006, 01:47 AM
I never understood all the big fuss over Dippin Dots. I don't think they're all that great. Regular ice cream is so much better.

I've never even heard of astronaut ice cream, but if it's expensive, I think I'll steer clear.

Markus. D
01-26-2006, 02:51 AM
Cold Rock icecreamery.

or.

Good ol Wendy's cookie dough flavour.

MoonsEcho
01-26-2006, 03:06 AM
I don't really like Dippin Dots at all. To me, it just tastes COLD, with no real flavour. The only time I've halfway enjoyed it is when I let it all melt together just enough to form the beads into normal looking ice cream, at which time I decided it would make more sense to just get normal ice cream in the first place.

Never tried the astronaut kind.

Miriel
01-26-2006, 03:35 AM
The astronaut ice cream is a sad mockery of all that is wonderful about ice cream. I detest astronaut ice cream.

Dippin Dots are ok, nothing special.

Cold Stone's ice cream, now that is what good ice cream is all about.

Luc
01-26-2006, 03:47 AM
I love Dippin' Dots. I always get some when I go to Knott's. =P

However, I'm gonna have to agree with Miriel. Cold Stone's ice cream = yummy.

Markus. D
01-26-2006, 07:45 AM

:D :D :D

Chemical
01-26-2006, 12:35 PM
I've experienced dipping dots before and I can't say I like it. No sir.

Loony BoB
01-26-2006, 01:26 PM
I don't know about no dipping dots or astronaut ice cream but I do know that I approve of Neapolitan ice cream.

Xaven
01-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Dippin' Dots... I guess they're all right. My friends obsess over them whenever we venture off to Knott's. They taste just like normal icecream, but are way more expensive (though this might just be the whole amusement park effect), so I usually pass.

As for space ice cream, last year the band went on a trip to Orlando and New Orleans, and when we were at the Kenedy Space Center, I bought an icecream sandwich. I still haven't eaten it, and I'll probably save it forever.

Cold Stone's ice cream, now that is what good ice cream is all about. :<3:

Roogle
01-26-2006, 02:21 PM
I love Dippin' Dots, but it's very expensive...

fire_of_avalon
01-26-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't really like Dippin Dots at all. To me, it just tastes COLD, with no real flavour. The only time I've halfway enjoyed it is when I let it all melt together just enough to form the beads into normal looking ice cream, at which time I decided it would make more sense to just get normal ice cream in the first place.

Never tried the astronaut kind.
Word up. If you don't eat it right, it HURTS. Ice cream should NEVER hurt.

Also, word up to the Cold Stone, Miriel. I love you more everyday!~

MoonsEcho
01-26-2006, 08:58 PM

:<3: Yes. Definitely. It's right up there with Marble Slab and Shake's Frozen Custard. I think I'll go have a Strawberry Shortcake Serenade later on. :D

Is this astronaut ice cream stuff only available at space centers or camps?

Zeldy
01-26-2006, 09:04 PM
They look so yummy..

Elite Lord Sigma
01-26-2006, 10:03 PM
I've never had astronaut ice cream. I've had Dippin' Dots once or twice, and I loved them.