PDA

View Full Version : Hunter S. Thompson

TheAbominatrix
01-26-2006, 04:09 AM
Fiends, it's time for me to lament over the loss of my beloved Hunter.

I probably wont be here long enough to read many replies (lack of internet), but it's almost the one year anniversary of The Good Doc's suicide.

Most of you probably don't know who he is, but if you've seen Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, you have a pretty good idea. Johnny Depp's character Raoul Duke is Hunter, as he wrote the story using his favorite false name to avoid implicating himself in the long string of drug related offenses (Dr. Gonzo is also a false name, for his pal Oscar Acosta).

When I first saw Fear and Loathing I fell instantly in love with it, and my boyfriend at the time turned me on to Hunter's books. I had the extreme pleasure of meeting him at a book signing, his last public appearance before his suicide. I've grown rather obsessed, and wear his symbol (the Gonzo fist/freak power symbol) on my leather, painted on my clothes, and drawn all over my house (and soon to be tattooed on my back). I even met the man I love (though I'm not with him) because of my Hunter obsession.

So anyway, for those of you interested, discuss The Good Doc and his works. For those of you curious, check out his books. I honestly think he's the greatest writer ever, and I'm awesome so you know my opinion matters xD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_S_Thompson

And by the way, I miss the boards <3

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-26-2006, 04:25 AM
I've been thinking about Hunter a lot lately. Didn't even realize it's almost been a year.

DMKA
01-26-2006, 04:41 AM
Wow, I remember the thread about his death. Time sure flies.

Madame Adequate
01-26-2006, 12:57 PM
It's been that long already?

I'll be damned. Time really does move.

Can't say I share your enthusiasm for him, but he was good, I can't deny that.

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-26-2006, 05:06 PM
He's the cat's pajamas, man.
I've read Fear and Loating and Kingdom of Fear. Both wre great.

eestlinc
01-26-2006, 06:27 PM
his name does seem to be popping up in a number of places lately, which is cool.

*~Endless Night~*
01-26-2006, 08:20 PM
I think he was great, I cant believe that was a year ago :( I;ve seen the film fear and loathing hundreds of times coz I'm a big Depp fan and I just got the book to read recently. ive read a couple of other books of his too

yunafan11
01-26-2006, 08:22 PM
sorry dont know who he is. I bet he made an impact though.

GooeyToast
01-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Fear & Loathing was an awesome movie, I am going to read the book sometime soon. It sucks he committed suicide, from what I saw he was a really talented and unique writer.

SquallsAngel
01-30-2006, 05:48 AM
I was just thinking the other day that it's been almost a year. Very tragic loss for the litterary world indeed.

"You will have to trust me on this one, Ralph. I know it sounds strange but in fact it might even be sane." November 25 1985 in a letter to Ralph Steadman

Chemical
01-30-2006, 05:53 AM
I've been thinking about Hunter a lot lately. Didn't even realize it's almost been a year.

A year already.

It seems like just yesterday that they launched his ashes from a canon.

A true innovator of his time. Hats and shirst off to Hunter S. Thompson.