PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS Redesign Officially Announced

Tidus Andronicus
01-26-2006, 12:46 PM
From 1up.com:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3147494

Nintendo Unveils DS Redesign
Smaller, more compact, and hitting Japan March 2nd.
by John Ricciardi, 01/26/2006

Nintendo today announced a newly-redesigned version of their DS handheld in Japan, confirming rumors that have been floating around the internet for the past few weeks. The "Nintendo DS Lite" features a smaller case design than the original DS and a higher-quality screen with four brightness settings. According to Nintendo, the name "Lite" is a play on words meant to emphasize both the system's lightweight design (it's about two ounces lighter than the previous DS) as well as its lighter, brighter screen.

We contacted Nintendo for further information and were able to confirm a few extra bits of info beyond what was issued in the release. For starters, the new DS Lite will continue to play Game Boy Advance games as well; some users have already expressed concern that the GBA slot might have been removed from the new design in order to save money, but we can confirm that this is not the case. In addition, Nintendo is planning to launch the system in three different colors in Japan, though the actual colors have yet to be determined. The only image released thus far shows a white DS Lite, but Nintendo hasn't yet decided if that will be one of the final choices come launch day. Furthermore, while the physical size of the new DS is smaller (133.0 x 73.9 x 31.5mm -- the old DS was 148.7 x 84.7 x 28.9mm), the actual screen itself will remain identical in size to that of the original. And finally, those of you with giant man-hands can rest easy, as the original DS will continue to be sold alongside the new Lite version (at least in Japan).

The DS Lite will be released in Japan on March 2, 2006, and will retail for 16,800 yen (approximately $145 at the current exchange rate).

(Hiroko Minamoto contributed to this story.)for images go here:
http://www.1up.com/media?id=2651921
http://www.1up.com/media?id=2651922
http://www.1up.com/media?id=2651923

Since I just bought my blue one a few months ago... I feel no need to get the redesign, yet... And since there probably wont be any new features, it probably wont be nessisary. XD Still, it looks nice! ^_~

Markus. D
01-26-2006, 01:37 PM
I'd instantly rename that "DS 360"

ecsDea, it looks so much like that type of colour swap.

ljkkjlcm9
01-26-2006, 03:50 PM
they just made it smaller and more compact, oh, and lighter, it's a good idea, and if I didn't already have one for over a year now, I'd get this new version

THE JACKEL

Lindy
01-26-2006, 03:59 PM
I am a consumer whore and will thusly trade in my old one for this new one.

That and I'll have probably butchered my touch screen by then with all the stylus games I have.

Yamaneko
01-26-2006, 05:23 PM
I'll probably give my DS to my brother and get this little guy. I'm guessing it will retail for cheaper than $145 in the States considering everything is more expensive in Japan. I'm also hoping that they fixed the contrast of the screen edges with the brighter screen.

yunafan11
01-26-2006, 05:35 PM
I think it looks good. Is the the pen thing wireless?

Lindy
01-26-2006, 08:12 PM
I think it looks good. Is the the pen thing wireless?
That is the quote of the year.

yunafan11
01-26-2006, 08:14 PM
what? why? lol.

Tidus Andronicus
01-26-2006, 11:50 PM
my only question is, will it still play GBA games? cause it kind of needs that slot, especially since they just released a rumble pack for the DS that uses the GBA slot. lol

If it doens't have the slot for GBA, and they dont release a blue or black version, i dont think I'll get it, but its still cool.

Zeromus_X
01-26-2006, 11:53 PM
my only question is, will it still play GBA games? cause it kind of needs that slot, especially since they just released a rumble pack for the DS that uses the GBA slot. lol

If it doens't have the slot for GBA, and they dont release a blue or black version, i dont think I'll get it, but its still cool.
it says in the thing you posted that it would:eep:
:cat:
and yunafan, the stylus doesnt use a wire.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-27-2006, 12:30 AM

If it doens't have the slot for GBA, and they dont release a blue or black version, i dont think I'll get it, but its still cool.It still has the GBA slot. Didn't you read the article you quoted?

edczxcvbnm
01-27-2006, 12:43 AM
It reminds me of an iPod.

Tidus Andronicus
01-27-2006, 01:23 AM
It still has the GBA slot. Didn't you read the article you quoted?
XD woops, i must have missed that line... i saw the part about the concern for the GBA slot, but I like totally missed the next sentence...XD

Oh well, then i guess the only other thing i was wondering, was the colors it will come in! ^_^;

btw, how come when sometimes we say "lol" the forum changes it to "I cried aloud with mirth and merriment." O__o....

Del Murder
01-27-2006, 02:44 AM
I have man-hands so I do not need this. I wish the screen was bigger. GBA games play so tiny on it and I'm pretty blind as it is.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-27-2006, 02:47 AM
Making the DS screen bigger won't change the fact that GBA games are fixed at a small resolution. They could include an option to stretch out the dimensions to fill the DS screen, but that would only serve to make your GBA games ugly.

vampirepiggyhunter7
01-27-2006, 02:49 AM
I see no point in getting it...

Del Murder
01-27-2006, 02:52 AM
Making the DS screen bigger won't change the fact that GBA games are fixed at a small resolution. They could include an option to stretch out the dimensions to fill the DS screen, but that would only serve to make your GBA games ugly.
Well that wouldn't matter to me because it's so small now that I can't even tell how pretty it is. :( I want big man-dimensions to go with my big man-hands.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-27-2006, 02:55 AM
Then I'd have to recommend a Game Boy Player.

Del Murder
01-27-2006, 02:57 AM
I used to have Super Game Boy. It was awesome.

moogle maniac
01-27-2006, 03:44 AM
this stinks i just bought a nintendo ds

BatChao
01-27-2006, 03:55 AM
It looks smokin' hot... too bad I'm not into re-getting systems I already have...

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-27-2006, 10:51 PM
i dont like it.......im still getting the electric blue

Zeldy
01-27-2006, 11:13 PM
I think its rather snazzy.

Dreddz
01-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Still looks crap IMO...

StarlightAngel
01-27-2006, 11:22 PM
If it's cheap enough, I'll probably buy it instead of the original DS ^^

Sephex
01-28-2006, 12:09 AM
I'll probably get one when the price drops...or I can get lucky once again and get it as a gift (this is the reason why I own a PSP and a GBA micro). Yes, I have a DS already, but...I'M A WHORRRREEEEE!!!!!!!!!

DragonflyLex
02-01-2006, 03:18 PM
No, you are just spoiled! :rolleyes2 I should know that too! Now that you said that though....no more spoiling for you! ha!

I'll probably get one when the price drops...or I can get lucky once again and get it as a gift (this is the reason why I own a PSP and a GBA micro). Yes, I have a DS already, but...I'M A WHORRRREEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Psychotic
02-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Nintendo in releasing smaller version of handheld console shock.

I don't have a GameBoy, but I have a GameBoy Pocket.
I don't have a GBA, but I have a GBA SP.
I don't have a DS...

When will you people learn? :p

Mo-Nercy
02-02-2006, 01:11 AM
It reminds me of an iPod.
Yeah. O_O

I don't like handhelds, no matter how small they are.