PDA

View Full Version : The "I hate the random rule" thread

Ruthik
01-27-2006, 03:22 AM
Yeah. I am so irritated at it that I am going to waste your time about it.

Who all hates this rule and wishes squaresoft never made it in the game?

BTW is there a list of regions (cities) that start with this stupid rule so I know to try and avoid them as much as possible?

Also, any way of getting around the random rule in Dollet? I am having a field day trying to give a card to the queen here. 1 hour and counting. (Why oh why can't I just hand her the card :( )

TheSpoonyBard
01-27-2006, 03:28 AM
Hello, me again. Remember Sister's FAQ I recommended to you? Details of how to abolish the Random rule for the QoC quest are in there.

Ruthik
01-27-2006, 03:31 AM
Easy easy. When you figure out the way it all works its so simple.

Step 1: Get the queen to BALAMB!

Step 2: When in Balamb talk to the guy leaning over on the dock in a brown jacket. This will clear all the rules in Balamb.

Step 3: Save outside of Balamb! Talk to the queen and get a combo of rules that isnt in Dollet. (Mine was Open and Same).

Step 4: Beat the queen or give her a lvl 8 card. See if she is heading back to Dollet. If not, reset and do it till she does. (37.5% chance she will go to Dollet)

Step 5: Save outside of Dollet. Go to the first girl on the left as you enter Dollet. Challenge her and say YES when she asks to mix Balambs rules. Then QUIT until she says "Random has been abolished". If it is something else. Reset and do this again. When she does, SAVE IT outside of Dollet!

Step 6: Give the queen her card and make sure she is going to balamb! (37.5% chance she will go to Balamb)

Step 7: Random has been done for and she is headed for Balamb (where she is easy and near dollet). Repeat~! (BTW, DONT say yes if she asks if you want to combine with Dollet. Just say NO! :) )

Doing it the way I have shown will keep the queen in 2 cities and prevent a mess of card rules from occuring. It will also keep you from running all over the world and wasting time just traveling.
See, easy :)

beema
09-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Holy revived thread batman!
Well, I too am trying to get the god forsaken Random rule abolished, and I followed your steps to a T, but when I get to step 5 your method doesn't work.

When I challenge the girl in Dollet, she doesn't ask if I want to combine rules -- she doesn't ask anything, she just plays as normal.
So what the hell should I do?

In fact, I don't see the Queen of Cards in Dollet anywhere. She did say that she was going there, so I duno what the deal is.

ReloadPsi
09-23-2007, 10:24 PM
I can tolerate Random; it's Plus that screws me up.

beema
09-23-2007, 11:33 PM
well in any case, if someone has an alternative method of abolishing Random I'd be much obliged.

Mirage
09-23-2007, 11:39 PM
I like the Plus rule, Wall is also nice. Random always sucks.

Xurts
09-24-2007, 02:03 AM
Holy revived thread batman!
Well, I too am trying to get the god forsaken Random rule abolished, and I followed your steps to a T, but when I get to step 5 your method doesn't work.

When I challenge the girl in Dollet, she doesn't ask if I want to combine rules -- she doesn't ask anything, she just plays as normal.
So what the hell should I do?

In fact, I don't see the Queen of Cards in Dollet anywhere. She did say that she was going there, so I duno what the deal is.
For people to ask you to combine rules you must be carrying a rule that is not in that region. The easiest way to do it is to play a game in Galbadia so you're carrying their rules (which should be Same by default), then play a game in Dollet. You'll be asked to mix rules, say yes, immediately quit, and hopefully something will either spread or be abolished. In this case you want Random abolished, so keep reseting until it is.

I always abolish every rule from every region I go to except for Open and sometimes Same. This makes card games much more enjoyable, and allows you to play against your opponent instead of the rules.

beema
09-24-2007, 04:10 AM
hmm
but I've already previously spread a bunch of crappy rules like the Plague in Deling city (what I assume you mean by galbadia?), so will doing that still work?

Mostly I want the random rule abolished in Deling so I can get Rinoa's card. But having it abolished everywhere would certainly be welcome.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
09-24-2007, 08:41 AM
If I'm to beat a good player with the Random rule, I also need Plus

Xurts
09-24-2007, 11:40 PM
hmm
but I've already previously spread a bunch of crappy rules like the Plague in Deling city (what I assume you mean by galbadia?), so will doing that still work?

Mostly I want the random rule abolished in Deling so I can get Rinoa's card. But having it abolished everywhere would certainly be welcome.
You just have to carry a rule that isn't in the region where you want to abolish. If you're carrying rules that are already used in that region they won't ask to mix because there isn't anything that can be mixed.

Randgris
09-25-2007, 06:20 AM
I like the random rule, specially with Same, Plus, and Same Wall. I hate Sudden Death, most of the time; Elemental, not really just annoying.

rubah
09-26-2007, 12:36 AM
Random is what gives the game quality.

You can relate it to the general gameplay of ff8 (or ff in general really)

1) there are physical and magical attacks
2) there are little other techniques and statuses that no one ever uses because the first two are so successful.

1.a) there are really strong player cards that have amazing stats
2.a) there are other cards that no one ever bothers with because the player cards are so successful.

Random is the game's little way to remind you that being able to obliterate everything isn't the only kind of fun you should be striving for. Earning your obliteration through cunning and skill is also worth striving for.

Tallulah
09-26-2007, 06:07 PM

2) there are little other techniques and statuses that no one ever uses because the first two are so successful.

2.a) there are other cards that no one ever bothers with because the player cards are so successful.

Random is the game's little way to remind you that being able to obliterate everything isn't the only kind of fun you should be striving for. Earning your obliteration through cunning and skill is also worth striving for.

Good point, but it is still annoying as hell, having no control over your cards. :eep:

loinharte
09-26-2007, 08:45 PM
i think im the only one whos going to say this

i like random battles, it mekes u on edge u dont know wat ur going to fight if u can beat it(unless ur a god like me at the game). so i think there freakin awesome:)

nik0tine
09-29-2007, 08:24 AM
One of the easiest ways around random is to mod all of your crappy cards.

Xurts
09-29-2007, 04:51 PM
One of the easiest ways around random is to mod all of your crappy cards.
You wouldn't be able to collect every card then. :erm:

The Last Oath
09-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Speaking of this rule, whaddya rekon is the easiest way to get the Laguna card without too much Loss??

I usually save and keep re starting until i get it.. is there an easier way??

Xurts
09-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Speaking of this rule, whaddya rekon is the easiest way to get the Laguna card without too much Loss??

I usually save and keep re starting until i get it.. is there an easier way??
Play a game and then immediately quit until a rule gets abolished. Since you can only abolish one rule while in space, get rid of the one that gives you the most trouble. Keep reseting until that rule gets abolished, then try to get Laguna. I abolished Random and didn't have much trouble winning.

Piet has the Alexander card, btw. That is needed for the Queen of Cards sidequest, if you're doing that.

rubah
09-30-2007, 02:53 AM
You can get a Star for having all the cards if you mod them, it just counts if you *have* had them.

I usually just get laguna after all the commotion is over and the queen of cards is in the little area in disk 4.

Xurts
09-30-2007, 06:08 AM
You can get a Star for having all the cards if you mod them, it just counts if you *have* had them.

I usually just get laguna after all the commotion is over and the queen of cards is in the little area in disk 4.
I'd rather have every slot filled than have the gold star.

Mo-Nercy
09-30-2007, 05:08 PM
I played Triple Triad online for a long time and I've come to love Random. And Same and Plus. And Elemental. And Open is the devil.

sillybuttons™
12-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Random rule is only a pain early on in the game. The only real useful function the cards have is to refine into items (unless you enjoy playing just for fun). When you need items such as jet engines or the like just refine all your low level cards into whatever you fancy, sell what you get (if you need the gil) so you are just left with high level cards and hey presto, random rule, eat my ("-- insert regional term --").

BardTard
01-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Just refine all your crappy cards so you'll be sure you'll be playing with good cards.

It's actually harder than it seems :(

Aerith's Knight
01-03-2008, 02:31 PM
nice sig wiffles.. and i agree

BardTard
01-04-2008, 06:15 AM
Tee hee thanks :D it's Koda Kumi :love:

And yeah getting rid of crappy cards is so hard cus sometimes you need like 5 or 10 of them to refine into an item and when you only need one more... it's such a pain :(

Heath
01-04-2008, 12:40 PM
When I started to properly play Triple Triad in FFVIII, it was the Random rule I really hate. I like to at least have a degree of choice over which cards to use, rather than being lumbered with a bunch of rubbish cards plus a character card, meaning that the risk of losing the character card is much higher because your other cards can't pick up the slack.

Skyblade
01-05-2008, 01:40 AM

Ok, let's use that analogy.

Is there anyone around who would not quit playing an FF game that randomly decided on your battle party at the start of each engagement, forcing you to over level some characters, underlevel others, and use characters you hate? Sorry, but Random isn't "quality", it's just annoying.

rubah
01-05-2008, 03:48 AM
We call that final fantasy 4, actually. Except it was decided for the whole game 8) Also, that analogy was from september ;P way to be belated in replying.

If you don't play with random, it's just boring after a while. The point of games is to CHALLENGE you. If you have a similar card set to your opponent, then winning random battles consistancy is a sign of skill. Edea, for example 8)

Seriously, if you're playing the game just so you can win every time, that's a terrible reason. But maybe you prefer games where you aren't a few potions away from total annihilation the entire time (like I was with ff4 incidentally xD)

toad626
02-16-2008, 10:11 PM
I not only hated that rule. I hated all of triple triad. It sucked that you had to play it to get the best weapons. Terrible terrible mini game and the one who came up with it should be smacked. Tetra master was a little better.

Bloodline666
02-20-2008, 03:00 PM
You know, I successfully got Random abolished in every region except for two: Lunar Gate (which has every rule intact, and I don't think you can get any of them abolished) and Trabia. Well, I got Random abolished in Trabia, but forgot to save, and that cost me dearly when I fought an Elnoyle in Esthar and was ill-prepared for it (and couldn't escape, either), and when I re-started my game after the subsequent "Game Over", I was too lazy to make an abolition attempt on Random in Trabia all over again. That cost me on the Ragnarok in Disc 4, when CC Diamond had Trabia's rules, and I spread it to another CC member on the Ragnarok!

As for the Queen Of Cards sidequest, I cheated on that one...simply by throwing the games against the Queen of Cards and using the first four cards she wanted, regardless of her location. I experimented with it, and it worked. Only took her two trips to Dollet for me to complete it because of it.

Xurts
02-22-2008, 07:04 AM
You know, I successfully got Random abolished in every region except for two: Lunar Gate (which has every rule intact, and I don't think you can get any of them abolished) and Trabia. Well, I got Random abolished in Trabia, but forgot to save, and that cost me dearly when I fought an Elnoyle in Esthar and was ill-prepared for it (and couldn't escape, either), and when I re-started my game after the subsequent "Game Over", I was too lazy to make an abolition attempt on Random in Trabia all over again. That cost me on the Ragnarok in Disc 4, when CC Diamond had Trabia's rules, and I spread it to another CC member on the Ragnarok!
You can actually abolish Lunar's rules. Each time you play there's a chance a rule will be abolished, and from there you can mix the abolished rule until every other rule gets abolished. While you're in space you can only abolish one though; you have to wait until you land back on the planet to abolish the rest.

osirisgothra
09-02-2011, 03:46 PM
I was at first a sceptic about whether or not this would work (playing the card game after carrying a new rule to dollet, then selecting the 'quit' option instead of actually playing cards) and at first it didn't work for me but actually only took 6 times to get that random rule abolished, so thanks (and sorry I didnt believe you guys at first)

Jiro
09-03-2011, 02:54 AM
Bumping threads this old is typically not allowed osiris. Roughly half of the posters aren't here any more anyway!