PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil - The original gameplay or the new one?

Necron
01-27-2006, 05:16 PM
So, what do you think is better. Do you like the new Resident Evil 4 gameplay, or do you prefer the original gameplay. I mean, surely I can't be the only one who prefers the old gameplay can I?

Ps: Please choose one of the poll options as it is easier to get a more fixed result of which people prefer. :)

edczxcvbnm
01-27-2006, 05:30 PM
I prefer the original gameplay. I had no problem with RE4 but I liked the fixed...ish camera angles and slower pace that the originals had.

Dreddz
01-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Im a RE traditionalist and like the shuffling Zombies, closed corridors, dusty labs, rather to the blasting of countless guados.......I'd like RE5 to go back to the classic gameplay, but Im 100 % it wont, thats isnt that bad, as I did enjoy RE4, but RE1-3 was such a unique experience, RE4 is just like any other shooter, its just really good, but Capcom could of used that gameplay engine, and create a completely new Action game, and keep the original RE intact...

Necron
01-27-2006, 05:38 PM
I hate how close the camera is fixed on Leon (or whoever else you get to play as) on RE4.
I also hate how there is only something like 2 or 3 puzzles throughout the whole game, it's just blasting on zombies really. Puzzles is one of the main things which makes Resident Evil for me.
Although, looking on the point of view or storyline and graphics, RE4 has a much more developed story to the original 'Outbreak in Raccoon City' situation.

SeeDRankLou
01-27-2006, 05:45 PM
There is a lot more control with the new one. So instead of just pressing the aim button and firing the gun, hoping for that head shot, you can aim the gun at the enemy manually shoot them wherever you want. It's more....interactive I suppose. Maybe less boring is the right phrase, especially with the AI of the enemies in big areas. I suppose however that it was far more scary when you were on a narrow walkway and could see the zombies coming at you from both sides and had to choose which way to go, knowing that there isn't enough room to run around them, knowing that if you didn't act quickly enough you were going to get bitten.

NM
01-27-2006, 05:48 PM
I prefer the new style. The old control system was to clunky and slow, you couldn't react or move about quick enough. Which was fine against the slow suffeling zombies, but against anything with some pace to it's attack just left you wide open.

The old style of play was good in it's day, but the series was becoming boring and old imo. The new gameplay system livened it up and injected some much needed pace to the game.

Madame Adequate
01-27-2006, 05:50 PM
The gameplay itself? Resident Evil 4 wins by an insane amount. The controls are easy, fluid, and responsive. The enemies are capable and intimidating. Pretty much everything about it is great, in that regard.

However, I greatly preferred the general atmosphere of the previous games. Certainly, 2, 3, and 4 have become progressively more action-oriented, but they've also lost something that made the original so amazing.

Hopefully, as it seems RE5 will be going back to good old-fashioned zombies, we might well see a blend of the excellent new gameplay and the excellent old atmosphere. (Not to say there's anything particularly wrong with RE4's environment, but it just doesn't have the same effect as that mansion.).

But I don't miss the puzzles, in honesty. Why in Wesker's name would the police HQ of Raccoon City be set up so the Chief can't go to the bathroom without getting his head cut off? And needing three keys for the privilege?

What I'd like to see is a long-term siege situation. Remember the cabin in RE4? Well, something akin to that, though in a larger area with a few other people. Trying to hold out until helicopter evac or something, I dunno. That would be so cool though.

Necron
01-27-2006, 05:52 PM
There is a lot more control with the new one. So instead of just pressing the aim button and firing the gun, hoping for that head shot, you can aim the gun at the enemy manually shoot them wherever you want.

You have a very good point :)

I just don't feel that RE4 is really very scary - at all.
You don't get any jumpy moments, and there is no sense of suspence at all.

edczxcvbnm
01-27-2006, 06:14 PM
My biggest problem with RE4 is that is was not survival horror. There is MORE than enough ammo and health on the hardest difficulty. On normal in the originals it wasn't super easy and hard you had to skip killing enemies to survive.

I like the aiming system in this new one but that is really all that got changed. Other than that the controls are the exact same thing as the previous games. They just changed the camera and made the areas you fight in more wide open. That allows you to shoot someone a frickin mile away instead of 5 feet away like in the original.

My point being that the controls are NOT better. The game design is better.

Necron
01-27-2006, 06:58 PM
I think that now Capcom have changed Resident Evil, they may lose many fans. Their fans were attracted to the game because of the original system, and now that original system has gone, some fans may have lost the one thing that attracted them to the game in the first place, and they may lose interest. Although, on the other hand, Capcom have attracted new gamers - ones who like the new system. But I guess if someone didn't like the originals, they might not even give RE4 a chance!

SoulTaker*
01-27-2006, 07:20 PM
I like RE4's design a little better, the originals were already great games, but RE4's story was little more interesting and fun, also the bosses were far and away the best bosses ever in the series, and they were so goddamn smart, you go in a tower they throw fire projectiles at you, they raise latters to get to you, knock down doors, they even instinctively surround you, not to mention that they could run, in Code:Veronica I could get past the whole game by simply using my knife or running. RE4 had its scary moments, especially when the guy with the chainsaw, you hear it start up and your like aww /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, I loved the cult/children of the corn feel they tried to impose. If I had to choose i would definitely choose the new system. Leon is by far the best character so far in the series also. So many great moments in that game, like the knife fight with the arm guy, how you had to push the exact button codes in time or he slits your thoat or plunges the blade through your chest cavity. It is probably my favorite game of all-time just in terms in it being fun, no oring moments or the chronic bad camera angles and back tracking that the originals had. Definitely best game of 2005.

One thing I would change was there was to much ammo, I was saving my Magnum shells up the whole game until I realised that I didnt need them.

Necron
01-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Strange, I seem to find Code:Veronica the hardest in the series..

a nirvana fan
01-27-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm not going to vote as it is very unfair because there has been a ton of old gameplay resident evil's and only 1 new gameplay resident evil so I don't think this is fair.

Necron
01-27-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm not going to vote as it is very unfair because there has been a ton of old gameplay resident evil's and only 1 new gameplay resident evil so I don't think this is fair.

Riigghhhtt... :Oo:
I laughed aloud with mirth and merriment.

Ps. I get what you mean, but I disagree that it is unfair.

SeeDRankLou
01-27-2006, 08:08 PM
I just don't feel that RE4 is really very scary - at all.
You don't get any jumpy moments, and there is no sense of suspence at all.
RE4 has more tension oriented fear. The music does a great job of that. And, while there were a few times where an enemy came up from behind and made me jump, nothing is really scary in this game. But I wonder if that's because we're on the fourth (and for some sixth or seventh) one and we've seen it all before. Or if it was just the dark rooms and slow but sinister zombies that are just scary. In RE4, the fear is based more around making the player tense than scared. First you have ganados chasing you around a few houses, no biggie. Then more come and you go inside one of the house for protection, only to have them try to break in. So you put something infront of the door, but then you hear them trying to break the door, then more of them trying to break through the downstairs window. Then they prop up a ladder to the upstairs window, and then a guy with a chainsaw comes and joins the fray. You go upstairs and you have another window that they will try to come through. So that's four points of entrance and a chainsaw. So you have all of these obstacles that keep mounting on themselves and only two hands (and Leon for some reason can't hold two guns at once). You have to think fast, you have to act fast, much faster than with REs before this....or you die. I've played through the game more than five times, and I still die sometimes at that point (on professional of course :tongue: ). I did however feel the fear when the Regenerators started appearing. They remind me of the zombies of old, and they had awesome theme music.

Strange, I seem to find Code:Veronica the hardest in the series..
I found RE0 to be the hardest, I don't know why really, I just had the most difficulty with that one. In fact I had to put it on easy just to get through it the first time.

Necron
01-27-2006, 09:40 PM
The regenerators were probably the most scariest thing on RE4. Especially when you shoot their legs off - you think they're dead, and then they jump on you with their massive teeth blazing.
It can't be that we're used to Resident Evil that we don't find RE4 as scary, because even when I am replaying the original games, I can easily be jumped or scared as I forget what's coming next.

For some reason - everytime I got through the automated door that leads to the kitchen in the train on Resident Evil Zero, I jump at the sound of the door. Not supposed to be remotely scary - but that door scares the skin outa me. It must be the fact that I forget it is an automatic door each time I enter it. :p

kikimm
01-28-2006, 03:09 AM
I can't stand the original RE. The gameplay just killed it for me.

I have yet to play RE4, though. But I am looking forward to the experience. :D

Necron
01-28-2006, 10:43 AM
I can't stand the original RE. The gameplay just killed it for me.

I have yet to play RE4, though. But I am looking forward to the experience. :D

You can't really compare them if you've never played RE4 though can you?

MecaKane
01-28-2006, 02:19 PM
I love the new gameplay, it's an amazing game. And I'd love to see it done with the survival horror adventure game feel of the frist ones. Puzzels, running around getting keys, less ammo, etc.
And really, the only scary thing in Code Veronica X is running out of ammo and not being able to kill anything. RE 4 had those momments even less, except for when you played as Ashley. That was scary as hell.

Slothy
01-28-2006, 03:04 PM
I prefer the old games myself. They were creepier, and much more of a horror game than RE4, not to mention a lot less boring (more on that in a minute). Though I do like the gameplay in RE4, that game had too many problems for me to give it the nod. I hated trying to aim in that game. The laser sight only showed up on things you could shoot, which meant you often had to wave your gun around wildly until you got it to show up on something. At a distance it was nearly impossible to aim with it, and the worst part is it very likely would have been an easy fix. I also hated the fact that I couldn't strafe. Call me crazy, but there were quite a few times where I got hit because I couldn't quickly side step an enemy attack. Now there is the dodge function, but it wasn't there all the time and often came and went before you could even react to it. And finally, the games pacing was horrible. It was just wave after wave of enemies, and the enemies had little variety. It wouldn't have been as much of a problem if the game were half as long, but as it was I got bored half way through, and had to force myself to finish it 6 months later. I only did finish to say that I did and in the hopes it would get better, but by the end, I had lost all desire to play it ever again. They really needed more puzzles, and enemies in that game.

By breaking the action up and shortening the game I would have enjoyed it a lot more, maybe even more than the originals, but if RE5 is just going to be more of the same I may pass on a new RE for the first time in the series history.

Necron
01-28-2006, 08:17 PM
I like your thinking Vivi22 :D

~SapphireStar~
01-28-2006, 11:02 PM
For me, its the original Res Evils. I adore the old PS1 games, they are so old skool and I just have wicked memories of that damm licker crawling across the window in Res Evil 2!

Captain Maxx Power
01-29-2006, 12:34 AM
RE4 is a masterstroke. It grabs RE by the nackers and yanks it into the 21st Century.

Necron
01-31-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm gonna miss the old series. Especially the whole 'Silent door opening' screens that builds tension. There's none of that in RE4.

Wuggly Blight
01-31-2006, 06:48 PM
I really prefer the old RE, RE4 lacked so much to me, its not resident evil. Slap another name on it and you wont know its a resident evil. I got really bored of the "Presidents daughter has been kidnapped!" story years ago, and unfortunatly it either revolved around that, magic voodoo that has no real place in the RE universe but silent hill, the layouts, I hate the long long single path it all seems so 2d to me. It really wasnt scary, It seems merely a action game Im not really to sure where horror fits into it.

Necron
01-31-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm sure I saw somewhere that Devil May Cry was originally planned to be Resident Evil 4, but was changed to Devil May Cry as it was too far from the Resident Evil plot.. and the main character on it was going to be Leon until they changed it to Dante.
I may be wrong.

Wuggly Blight
01-31-2006, 07:42 PM
You are indeed correct, DMC is a resident evil 4 reject.

Lady Selphie
02-02-2006, 06:10 PM
I prefer RE4 because there are many new idea and the graphic of the game is perfect.

I hate how close the camera is fixed on Leon (or whoever else you get to play as) on RE4.
I agree this is the worst thing in this game.

I Don't Need A Name
02-02-2006, 08:00 PM
I like Resi 4 alot but the camera makes it too easy to find things and cancels out the ability to make you jump. Resi 1 etc also had difficult puzzles and alot of tedious backtracking, which were strangely fun. Also they took MUCH longer. The ability to restart from the beginning of the area IS useful, but stops the annoyance, but secret want, to restart from the last save so you can kick some more zombie ass

Dreddz
02-02-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm sure I saw somewhere that Devil May Cry was originally planned to be Resident Evil 4, but was changed to Devil May Cry as it was too far from the Resident Evil plot.. and the main character on it was going to be Leon until they changed it to Dante.
I may be wrong.
That would of been tragic if DMC was RE4....

SoulTaker*
02-02-2006, 08:55 PM
i can see if you dont like RE4 as much as the other Resident Evil games because those ARE some pretty kick ass games, but if you dont like it even on its own as being simply a very fun to play game, then their is something wrong with you.

Necron
02-02-2006, 09:10 PM
i can see if you dont like RE4 as much as the other Resident Evil games because those ARE some pretty kick ass games, but if you dont like it even on its own as being simply a very fun to play game, then their is something wrong with you.

It is a very good game, and as a stand alone game we would have nothing to compare it to, so perhaps in some ways more people would buy it if it wasn't part of the Resident Evil series. I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone (or even myself for that matter).

Yuffie514
02-02-2006, 11:26 PM
i think i played the original Resident Evil after Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (which i already adorn as a horror-game classic). i was starting to like it when i played, and since i only rented it, i don't see it on shelves anymore. oh, and the rental prices are such a rip-off...but that's not a problem.