PDA

View Full Version : What is the wolf meant to symbolise?

Emerald weapon
01-27-2006, 08:10 PM
:confused: In the film a wolf appears a few times.....does it have any realavant part to the story??

Awesomeman
01-27-2006, 08:21 PM
It's a reancarnation of Zack. You can tell because he appears at his grave, and aeris' grave. He also is there to help cloud out(Look closely. He's in the flower scene) similar to aeris.

Emerald weapon
01-27-2006, 08:40 PM
awwwww is the water a reancarnation of areis??since it like heals the geostigma

Awesomeman
01-27-2006, 08:54 PM
That's possible. I never thought of that.

RikWeaN
01-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Err ... Actually, I don't think so.
The wolf being a reincarnation of Zack or something.
Do you have sources or something ? Or arguments ?

The way I see things, in Japan the wolf has some symbolic significations.
One of them is loneliness as well as remorse.
Which fit Cloud quite well here. You can notice the wolf disapears at the end, when Cloud isn't alone anymore. Yeah, the wolf first appears on the very hill Zack died at, but it also appears later on at the Forgotten Capital, right where Aeris died.
If it was Zack's reincarnation, showing Zack disappearing along Aeris at the end would be pointless.

As for the "water", I think it's Holy. Remember, it came from under the ground in the church.

Death Penalty
01-28-2006, 02:08 AM
The wolf symbolises clouds emotions.

Masamune·1600
01-28-2006, 03:13 AM
On the DVD audio commentary, Tetsuya Nomura stated that the wolf is a symbol of Cloud's guilt. As such, it can be understood to pertain to Zack and Aeris indirectly. It is not, however, any sort of reincarnation of either character.

~SapphireStar~
01-28-2006, 07:35 PM
It's a reancarnation of Zack.
Thats what Ive always believed.

Markus. D
01-29-2006, 06:13 AM
Err ... Actually, I don't think so.
The wolf being a reincarnation of Zack or something.
Do you have sources or something ? Or arguments ?

The way I see things, in Japan the wolf has some symbolic significations.
One of them is loneliness as well as remorse.
Which fit Cloud quite well here. You can notice the wolf disapears at the end, when Cloud isn't alone anymore. Yeah, the wolf first appears on the very hill Zack died at, but it also appears later on at the Forgotten Capital, right where Aeris died.
If it was Zack's reincarnation, showing Zack disappearing along Aeris at the end would be pointless.

thats what makes the most sense.

RikWeaN
01-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah.
Hence the fact the wolf is Cloud's emblem in the movie :
He wears it on his clothes, and the name of his bike is also related (Fenril).

Death Penalty
01-30-2006, 01:44 AM
Yeah.
Hence the fact the wolf is Cloud's emblem in the movie :
He wears it on his clothes, and the name of his bike is also related (Fenril).
It is fenrir fen rir.

Ishin Ookami
01-30-2006, 04:40 AM
On the DVD audio commentary, Tetsuya Nomura stated that the wolf is a symbol of Cloud's guilt. As such, it can be understood to pertain to Zack and Aeris indirectly. It is not, however, any sort of reincarnation of either character.

This is the same guy who stated that while making the movie he had no intention of reviving aeries, and he just focused on creating a good story and not on action scenes.

A: Allow me to present the entire laundry list of Aeries chores in Advent children

Counciling cloud.
Healing cloud from bahamuts omega flare
throwing cloud the remaining distance to bahamut
curing geostigma
counciling kadaj
resurrecting cloud
tending to sick children
making a dramatic exit with dead boyfriend.

B: As far as story goes, Is this the same script that has cloud working through his survivors guilt in less then 15 seconds just by hearing vincent has never tested the whole "forgiveness of sins" thing? Yah sure Nomura, your the next kurosawa.

So yah, Nomura I wouldnt exactly count on for a reliable source. He just probably thought it looked cool and put it in.

Christmas
01-30-2006, 05:05 AM
A: Allow me to present the entire laundry list of Aeries chores in Advent children

Counciling cloud.
curing geostigma
counciling kadaj
resurrecting cloud
tending to sick children

What's wrong with that?

Ishin Ookami
01-30-2006, 06:12 AM
What's wrong with that?

Well, when the creator says he's keeping a dead character Dead, yet uses her as a deus ex machina style plot device, to undo every dramatic quagmire the writers put in instead of, oh I dunno, maybe allowing a bit of dramatic pathos to occur, It kinda takes away from the creators credability.

Not to mention makes for a really crappy film.

The Devourer Of Worlds
01-30-2006, 06:22 AM
This is the same guy who stated that while making the movie he had no intention of reviving aeries, and he just focused on creating a good story and not on action scenes.

Counciling cloud.
curing geostigma
counciling kadaj
resurrecting cloud
tending to sick children

To be fair, she didn't really resurrect Cloud; it would see that she healed him. Of course, he would have been fucked if she didn‘t but yeah. It is also my understanding that when you see Aerith through Cloud through the flare, that only happens in his mind, and what is really happening is Aerith is using her...um...whatever...to raise his spirit.

I tend to agree with you though, after saying he wasn’t going to bring Aerith back, he made a rather bizarre decision to then put her in most of the movie. Oh well, that’s what happens when your movie consists of 1.5 hours of fan service.

Not that I’m saying I wouldn’t have it any other way. I wouldn’t of watched it if it wasn’t just 1.5 hours of fan service…

As for the wolf, it soulds like something out of Norse Mythology. It could represent Fenrir, who was the child of Loki, the ultimate evil. This could coincide with the fact that Cloud carries Jenova cells, thus is a ‘child of evil’, so to speak.

I really have absolutely no idea though; that was just a random assertion.

RikWeaN
01-30-2006, 07:12 AM
It is fenrir fen rir.
Makes no difference in Japanese, buddy.
"r" and "l" are the same to them so we couldn't know for sure.

Nice addition to the debate anyway :rolleyes2

The Devourer Of Worlds
01-30-2006, 07:17 AM
No, it's incorrect to say 'Fenril', because 'Fenrir' isn't Japanese, it's from Norse Mythology.

Christmas
01-30-2006, 07:27 AM
Well, when the creator says he's keeping a dead character Dead, yet uses her as a deus ex machina style plot device, to undo every dramatic quagmire the writers put in instead of, oh I dunno, maybe allowing a bit of dramatic pathos to occur, It kinda takes away from the creators credability.

Not to mention makes for a really crappy film.

She is still dead.

RikWeaN
01-30-2006, 12:24 PM
I agree with Christmas.
Otherwise you'd have to consider the ending of FFVII crappy too, Ishin Ookami, since Aeris takes part in facing the Meteor just like she does by healing Cloud in AC. Just because she's dead doesn't mean she cannot act in the physical world - based on FFVII universe's rules that is.

Desert Wolf
01-30-2006, 12:44 PM
I thought the Wolf was Aeris not Zack.Cause its there whenever she helps him.Like near the end where she heals him.The screen is white and you see the Wolf.I doubt it represents evil anyway.

Ryushikaze
02-01-2006, 04:25 PM
The wolf is the representation of Cloud's guilt over letting his friends die and his current 'lone wolf' attitude of distancing himself from people.

Nomura, et. all have said as much in interviews.

Shadow The Red XIII Thing
02-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Makes no difference in Japanese, buddy.
"r" and "l" are the same to them so we couldn't know for sure.

Nice addition to the debate anyway
Its Fenrir in norse mytholigy too. But I guess its spelled different in Japan.

RikWeaN
02-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Its Fenrir in norse mytholigy too. But I guess its spelled different in Japan.
Yeah, that's also what I think.
To me, "Fenrir" and "Fenril" are the same thing.
Remember Saint Seiya ? One of the Divine Saints (you know, those northern guys)' name was Fenril, and he was the Wolf Saint.

http://membres.lycos.fr/zewean/fenril3.jpg

No, it's incorrect to say 'Fenril', because 'Fenrir' isn't Japanese, it's from Norse Mythology.
Alright, so what do you think "Fenrir" refers to, then ?
Dunno about "Fenrir", but in northern mythology, Fenril is said to be a gigantic wolf eating the world during Ragnarok.
Since Cloud's emblem is wolf, naming his bike after a wolf from a legend makes sense to me, hence the fact I think Fenrir and Fenril refer to the same entity ... it's just that Japanese language can't make a difference between R and L so it's just a transcription mistake.

Ryushikaze
02-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Fenrir, Fenril, Fenris...

All are actually correct. For the wolf. Fenris is 'most' correct, however, as I've been told (by a scand, So I'm taking their word on it). It should be kept in mind that the Teutonic mythos vary from area to area, mostly in the form of minor differences in names, or the grouping of a lesser character as another major character. In fact, most wolves involved in Ragnarok are often thought to merely be aspects of Fenris.

Cloud's bike, however, is Fenrir.

RikWeaN
02-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Alright, that's the official transcription, but what does it refer to, then ?
Does AC's Fenrir refer to the same entity Ragnarok's Fenris and Saint Seiya's Fenril do ? ;)

My guess would be yes, that's why I was saying writing it Fenrir or Fenril didn't matter that much.

Death Penalty
02-04-2006, 03:42 AM
Alright, that's the official transcription, but what does it refer to, then ?
Does AC's Fenrir refer to the same entity Ragnarok's Fenris and Saint Seiya's Fenril do ? ;)

My guess would be yes, that's why I was saying writing it Fenrir or Fenril didn't matter that much.
What he said.

Ryushikaze
02-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Well, when one is given an official spelling, one generally accepts it.

Then again, this is FF7, and Aerith/Aeris/Nancy (don't ask) debates still rage on to this day.

The Devourer Of Worlds
02-04-2006, 08:32 AM
Aerith/Aeris/Nancy (don't ask)
I don't get it. You had better explain it to us in depth, and possibly provide a link to your subtitles whatever it is that you are talking about.

Death Penalty
02-05-2006, 12:20 AM
The hell is Nancy?:confused:

SEPHIROTH_CLONE_666
02-05-2006, 04:37 AM
...Then again, this is FF7, and Aerith/Aeris/Nancy (don't ask) debates still rage on to this day.

Sorry, can't help it, Im asking. Erm...Nancy? :sweat: did I miss something?

Ryushikaze
02-05-2006, 08:35 AM
As devourer noted, it's a joke in my AC parody subtitles, and the way I tend to end debates in which her name is a subject.

For further details and more random jokes, download them today!

The Devourer Of Worlds
02-05-2006, 09:00 AM
You know, you could at least tried to make it sound like you weren't advertising.

Ryushikaze
02-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Why? You set it up for me, after all.

Death Penalty
02-05-2006, 09:40 AM
He has a point we did set it up for him.
To the victor goes the spoils.

The Devourer Of Worlds
02-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Actually, what I said was a round about way of saying 'I know exactly what your playing at and it's not cool'. 'Course nobody else got it and they played right into your hand.

And you would have gotten away with it too, if it...oh wait, you did.

Death Penalty
02-05-2006, 10:17 AM
And you got away with it because of those damnable meddling kids.

The Devourer Of Worlds
02-05-2006, 10:25 AM
You killed the joke.

Death Penalty
02-05-2006, 11:25 AM
I know and now I feel alot better at having ruined someones joke.:)

Darth Tjador
02-05-2006, 03:35 PM
I thought it simbolized strength.....

Oddball19
02-05-2006, 10:36 PM
It's a symbol of Cloud's guilt and regret. As a result of being unable to
do anything to save Aerith and Zack, he blamed himself for their deaths. The
symbolism of the wolf also works in regard to the expression "lone wolf," as
Cloud has chosen to live away from others while he awaits death from
Geostigma. Continuing this line of symbolism, Cloud wears symbols of a wolf's
head and his motorcycle is named "Fenrir," the name bore by Loki's wolf child
in Norse Mythology.

I got that from Squall Of Seeds giant FAQ.

vincentDoC
02-15-2006, 10:01 AM
i think the wolf is zack cause it is 2 much of a coincidence don't u people think??
or maybe it is arieth cause when cloud is in trouble the stupid wolf would be there

Mercen-X
03-05-2006, 10:32 PM
It's a symbol of Cloud's guilt and regret. As a result of being unable to do anything to save Aerith and Zack, he blamed himself for their deaths.
Cloud's psychosis didn't begin with Zack's death though. It began when he was unable to save Tifa who ended up in a week-long coma after they feel off of a bridge. Zack's and Aeris' deaths only added to his self-doubt and personal anguish.

As for the wolf, symbols have multiple meanings and references. That's why they're symbols. If they were meant to have one meaning, they'd just be statements.

Trop
03-06-2006, 10:31 PM
As I have seen in several games and such some writers like for their readers to create their own answers, the wolf so far as been explained as a Lone Wolf, a Wolf from Mythology of whatever, guilt and Zack. I think we are supposed to create our own answer to this question.

Death Penalty
03-07-2006, 02:05 AM
Dmanit its in the commentary on the dvd. I give a damn what you think when theres facts. Read the past posts. Youll see Nomura said it was a symbol clouds guilt