PDA

View Full Version : Shakespeare?

Psydekick
01-27-2006, 08:59 PM
What do you think of him, is he a good play writer or a nut.:)

*~Endless Night~*
01-27-2006, 09:07 PM
I think he's good although I hate Macbeth I had to do that 2 years running in high school:mad:
I like Romeo and Juliet :love: (I know, I cant help it I'm weak for romance) and I like As You Like It coz its funny and its probably the easiest to understand. And Midsummer Night's Dream for pure craziness :D

Kirobaito
01-27-2006, 09:08 PM
His comedies were much better, and easier to read, than his tragedies were. I enjoy Shakespeare a lot.

Psydekick
01-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Where doing a Midsummer Nights Dream at school in english, it alright but a bit corny and Lovey-Dovey:(

boris no no
01-27-2006, 09:11 PM
I think hes good
Macbeth rocks my socks

Chris
01-27-2006, 09:12 PM
It's his birthday today yay! Happy birthday. :)

anacacia
01-27-2006, 09:12 PM
I like them actually. I know, me someone hardcore, but oh well.

I think they are pretty good. I like the olden times. :grinpink:

SoulTaker*
01-27-2006, 09:13 PM
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
Hamlet

One of my favorite lines ever, but my favorite play ever would have to be Othello, Shakespear was a genius, but some doubt he ever existed.

-N-
01-27-2006, 09:16 PM
His comedies were much better, and easier to read, than his tragedies were. I enjoy Shakespeare a lot.I used to prefer his tragedies, but I'm kinda sick of tragedy these days and have been browsing through his comedies, and they do strike my fancy as well. He's a good guy to read, but he inevitably gets butchered in schools.

Old Manus
01-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Boring and overrated

Shoeberto
01-27-2006, 09:19 PM
He's a good guy to read, but he inevitably gets butchered in schools.
I think most people lose their appreciation because of how much he's forced on them in school.

I like his stuff. Good reads.

*~Endless Night~*
01-27-2006, 09:21 PM
I used to prefer his tragedies, but I'm kinda sick of tragedy these days and have been browsing through his comedies, and they do strike my fancy as well. He's a good guy to read, but he inevitably gets butchered in schools.

yeah it kinda ruins his plays when you overanalyse them the way you have to in school. Thats why I hate Macbeth so much

SoulTaker*
01-27-2006, 09:23 PM
I love his tragedies, Julius Ceasar, Othello, Hamlet, even Romeo and Juliet, he really is good at irony in his stories.

anacacia
01-27-2006, 09:24 PM
I think hes good
Macbeth rocks my socks

As he is rocking mine. :tongue:

Psydekick
01-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Boring and overrated
Agreed:)

Kirobaito
01-27-2006, 09:39 PM
It's his birthday today yay! Happy birthday. :)
Shakespeare's birthday was in April, dude.

Lost Number
01-27-2006, 09:40 PM
To sum up Shakespeare in schools: Much ado about Nothing.

First thing to do with a time machine - kill Shakeapeare.
:) :)

Zeldy
01-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Im doing Macbeth in English. Its quite violent :(

Lost Number
01-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Same here. I got killed cos I was Duncan. We have to act it out.

escobert
01-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Macbeth is the greatest play to ever grace the face of the earth.

nik0tine
01-28-2006, 12:31 AM
I'm by no means an expert on Shakespeare, but from the little that I've read I've come to the conclusion that his work isn't all that great. What did he have to say? Did any of his plays actually have any relevant message? I haven't read most of his stuff, but something like Romeo and Juliet isn't all that thought provoking, from what I remember.

escobert
01-28-2006, 12:38 AM
But, Macbeth is just so so awesome :p seriouly read is nikO :p

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-28-2006, 12:46 AM
Macbeth is amazing. I was lucky enough tto see it preformed live also. It is just amazing.

I do not mind Hamlet, and I liked Twelth Night and Midsummer Night's Dream.

Over all I really like Shakespeare, for English not being my strong point in academics, Shakespeare always treated me well.

kikimm
01-28-2006, 03:13 AM
I never really got into Shakespeare. I can't stand the style in which he writes; really flowery speech, and all that. Plus, yeah, I hate that school forces his stuff on us. Maybe I'll give him another go after I'm doing with all that, and maybe I'll think differently. I'd like to appreciate him.

eestlinc
01-28-2006, 03:26 AM
Shakespeare's birthday was in April, dude.
Yea, today is Mozart's birthday.

I love his tragedies, especially King Lear. What an amazing piece of work.

greekanimeguy
01-28-2006, 03:29 AM
ive only really read a midsummers nights dream in english class, and i saw the crappy movie on top of that lol, anyways since its grade nine, im sure that this is one of his simpler stories, but i really like the romeo and juliet forshadowing (pyramus and thisby)

The Man
01-28-2006, 04:05 AM
Oddly, I just finished a re-reading of Macbeth. Shakespeare is excellent; probably the most skilled wordsmith in the history of English literature, and quite an astute commenter on the human condition as well.

King Lear is probably his best work, yes.

I'm by no means an expert on Shakespeare, but from the little that I've read I've come to the conclusion that his work isn't all that great. What did he have to say? Did any of his plays actually have any relevant message? I haven't read most of his stuff, but something like Romeo and Juliet isn't all that thought provoking, from what I remember.Romeo and Juliet is inferior, dude. Read Hamlet, Macbeth, and King Lear; those are his three best works.

Raistlin
01-28-2006, 05:34 AM
I'm by no means an expert on Shakespeare, but from the little that I've read I've come to the conclusion that his work isn't all that great. What did he have to say? Did any of his plays actually have any relevant message? I haven't read most of his stuff, but something like Romeo and Juliet isn't all that thought provoking, from what I remember.
...Read <i>Hamlet</i> or <i>King Lear</i> (both tragedies) or <i>Taming of the Shrew</i> (comedy) before you pass judgment. Shakespeare is great.

krissy
01-28-2006, 05:50 AM
Tamin of the Shrew = 10 Things I Hate About You

The Man
01-28-2006, 05:51 AM
iirc She's All That was also based after a Shakespeare play, but I can't remember which one.

Raistlin
01-28-2006, 05:56 AM
Tamin of the Shrew = 10 Things I Hate About You
Except 10 Things I hate About You sucked and had an entirely different point.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-28-2006, 05:57 AM
She's All That is yet another iteration of Pygmalion, which is Shaw, not Shake.

The Man
01-28-2006, 05:57 AM
Ah, I misremembered. Neither of them were actually very good films either. xD

mooglebunni608
01-28-2006, 06:20 AM
I really don't like him cause i was forced to read A Midsummers Night Dream when i was 11... that sucked.

Psydekick
01-28-2006, 07:13 AM
And they give you that crappy CD to sing along too:(

*~Endless Night~*
01-28-2006, 07:35 AM
I never really got into Shakespeare. I can't stand the style in which he writes; really flowery speech, and all that. Plus, yeah, I hate that school forces his stuff on us. Maybe I'll give him another go after I'm doing with all that, and maybe I'll think differently. I'd like to appreciate him.
Yeah thats what I did too, after I'd left school I found out that I actually had a book with all his plays in so I picked a couple randomly then I ended up reading the whole thing and just skipping macbeth...

rubah
01-29-2006, 02:41 AM
I don't care for his stuff much.

Slade
01-29-2006, 03:01 AM
Hamlet and Othello were my favorites :)

~SapphireStar~
01-29-2006, 08:35 PM
He, to me, was an excellent play write. I adore Romeo & Juliet, Midsummer Nights Dream, etc. I didnt think I would get into his works when I was young, but when I read Romeo & Juliet when I was 13, I fell in love with his work :D

Captain Maxx Power
01-29-2006, 09:54 PM
His play aren't particularly hard to understand, once you know how to read them. Like all plays it's not the source material that determines the quality of the work, it's who does it. I once saw a showing of Midsummer Night's Dream that had me in stitches. Done right that play can be seriously funny.

Death Penalty
01-29-2006, 10:53 PM
The only play he did that didnt suck ass was Othello.

NUFF SAID:eep:

Rase
01-29-2006, 10:56 PM
For me, it's incredibly hard to read a play. Shakespeare is no different, and while he is a great writer, I just have trouble reading any play, including his. I do like seeing his play's acted out though, considering it's by people who care. :)

Psydekick
01-30-2006, 07:59 AM
What he said

Heath
01-30-2006, 06:55 PM
King Lear and Macbeth are brilliant. I wasn't too keen on The Merchant of the Venice or Romeo & Juliet though. Definitely a talented writer. Not something I think I would've been tempted to pick up and read in my spare time and it wasn't until Macbeth (second play I read) that I thought he was anything special.

Resha
01-30-2006, 07:13 PM
I love Shakespeare, most of all his comedies. My favourite play by him ever is The Taming of the Shrew; I never really loved Macbeth overly (I blame over-analysis in school!).

Reading Shakespeare, I like to look at the dramatic side of it as well as the literary side - I don't know, it seems to me that people too often consider his works to be a two-dimensional, on-paper kind of thing and forget that it has to be seen on stage. It's great on stage, and a lot easier to understand. His works are brilliant from an actor's POV too, and would really thrill and challenge a good actor. :D

SammieBabe
01-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Shakespeare does take some analyzing which is why I think high schools use it so much. Most of his stuff I really enjoyed. Romeo and Juliet was at the bottom of that list...