PDA

View Full Version : Why is FFV so underated

Shin Gouken
01-28-2006, 10:55 PM
I reall don't think FFV deserves the title of one of the three worst FF in the series.

One of the three worst in the series in my opinion, but still worth playing.

LOL sorry Turky for quoting this outside the thread you posted it in :)

We all know Final fantasy V had script problems. And this meant that you had to look a little harder to find depth in the characters (although it is undoubtedly there) But FFV has other areas of the game that more than make up for these problems. And it's not as if the other FF's don't have problems as they clearly do.

So to try and make this a more positive thread, rather than ask why you think FFV is not a great game, i will ask, what made FFV a great game for you?

Mirage
01-28-2006, 11:42 PM
FFV is fun for it's job system and lighthearted mood.

TurkSlayer
01-28-2006, 11:48 PM
I reall don't think FFV deserves the title of one of the three worst FF in the series.

LOL sorry Turky for quoting this outside the thread you posted it in :)

We all know Final fantasy V had script problems. And this meant that you had to look a little harder to find depth in the characters (although it is undoubtedly there) But FFV has other areas of the game that more than make up for these problems. And it's not as if the other FF's don't have problems as they clearly do.

So to try and make this a more positive thread, rather than ask why you think FFV is not a great game, i will ask, what made FFV a great game for you?
Somehow, I had a feeling this was about my comment. I just want to clear up my feelings: Yes, it's in my the three loest favorites in my list of favorites, but it IS above the other two(FFX-2 and... Well, I might get rocks thrown at me if I say the other...*cough*FFVIII!*cough*). It's a decent game, I'll give it that, but I just like the rest of the series better.

Slade
01-29-2006, 03:12 AM
Well, to me FFV is one of the three BEST games. Along with VIII and IX. These three were the meaning of Final Fantasy to me :love:

BTW, check out my tribute fanart I did for FFV: http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=78306
:)

Auragaea
01-29-2006, 03:28 AM
FFV, VIII, and X-2 are actually some of my favorites because their battle systems and customization system were REALLY deep. To me, I don't care much for storylines or character development in RPGs, but rather their battle and customization system. As such, those 3 games are really very good to me. In fact, my all time favorite FF is a tie between FFVIII and VI. Both had exactly what I want and love in an RPG.

Dreddz
01-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Second favourite in the series ( first being FFVII )
I enjoyed the plot, Galuf dying seemed more tragic than Aeris dying IMO.
Great music, graphics not too shabby. All in all, great game.

Neco Arc
01-29-2006, 11:17 AM
I really like ffv, because of its job system, and plot and some of the music...
in fact it is tied with ffviii as my favorite with ffvi and ffviii tied as my first...

Captain Maxx Power
01-29-2006, 11:42 AM
It's underrated by one person. Everyone else concludes that it is teh sex.

TurkSlayer
01-29-2006, 03:19 PM
FFV, VIII, and X-2 are actually some of my favorites because their battle systems and customization system were REALLY deep. To me, I don't care much for storylines or character development in RPGs, but rather their battle and customization system. As such, those 3 games are really very good to me. In fact, my all time favorite FF is a tie between FFVIII and VI. Both had exactly what I want and love in an RPG.
Wow, you and me are completely opposite. Story and characters come before everything to me. Though the battle system in FFVIII is one of the main reasons I hate that game.

And Maxx Power is right, I'm the only one who doesn't like it that much.

XxSephirothxX
01-29-2006, 04:01 PM
I don't know. I honestly didn't enjoy it that much. I wasn't especially interested in the story or the characters, and while the Job system is good, the battles were'nt especially fun, and they were far too frequent. I just got bored and frustrated. Plus...X-Death? C'mon.

Captain Maxx Power
01-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Plus...X-Death? C'mon.

Hey now come on, you can knock most things but you can't knock the X-Man. A crazy wizard-tree intent on bringing the end of everything, without motive? You just gotta love that extreme brashness.

The Devourer Of Worlds
01-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Plus...X-Death?
Pfft, what exactly was wrong with X-Death? He was at the very least superior to all of the FF villains before him. If people could get over his obscure name (which was more than likely a mistranslation of ’Exodus’) they would realise that he wasn’t half as bad a villain as everyone makes him out to be.

Anyway, the reason FFV is underrated is probably because it wasn't released outside of Japan until Anthology came along. Far more people would have enjoyed it IMO if it wasn't a SNES port that was trying to compete with actual 3D PSX games...

Shin Gouken
01-29-2006, 05:42 PM
X-death is short for Exeeding death so ive read.

The very first time i played, i remember X-deaths name being mentioned for the first time and it struck me with fear. Seriously, i really didn't want to fight him, i was crap back then and he sounded scarey :(

I thought he was great. He had a legion of monsters that supported what he was trying to accomplish, including the most feared monsters that were banished to the N-zone. He had more brains than brawn. He managed to arise after being trapped by the power of the crystals, and managed to rise again once defeated by the light warriors. He had a mind of war, and managed to defeat galufs army through gorilla warfare and such. He set his sight on the most powerful force in existance and suceeded (kinda) certainly nothing bad about him comes to mind.

Rengori
01-29-2006, 06:00 PM
It's a huge improvement over FF3.

The Devourer Of Worlds
01-29-2006, 07:17 PM
X-death is short for Exeeding death so ive read.
Yeah, I've heard this as well but I don't think that name was even confirmed by any official sources though. One thing that the name ‘Exodus’ has going for it is that when FFTA was released in the US, a Totema that was supposedly based on X-Death had it’s name translated to ‘Exodus’.

I guess if this was supposed to correct a mistake in anthology, it will show up in FFV: Advanced. We’ll just have to wait and see then…

TurkSlayer
01-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Pfft, what exactly was wrong with X-Death? He was at the very least superior to all of the FF villains before him.
Are you calling him superior to Garland!? I don't see X-Death knocking you all down!

The Devourer Of Worlds
01-30-2006, 05:20 AM
As awesome as that line is, it doesn't really make up for the fact that you kill him in the beginning, and then he just kind of shows up in the end.

Besides, I've always liked the quote in my sig...

Shine On...
01-30-2006, 05:39 AM
I actually really like this game (so far, I am currently playing it). I don't think it is by any means one of the three worst FF's! I actually really like it, the story is good, (even though no the deepest) and I really like the battle system due to jobs, and also, its not all, dark and serious. more of a lighthearted tale... which I enjoy.

Shin Gouken
01-30-2006, 06:44 AM
The perception that FFV has a "not very deep plot" and not very deep characters is simply down to the badly written script. A simple script re-write will change that perception and the game will truly be able to shine. Amogst any changes to FFV advance, i hope a script re-write will be included

Shine On...
01-30-2006, 08:08 AM
The perception that FFV has a "not very deep plot" and not very deep characters is simply down to the badly written script. A simple script re-write will change that perception and the game will truly be able to shine. Amogst any changes to FFV advance, i hope a script re-write will be included

I would have to agree with you here.