PDA

View Full Version : Old games vs. New

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
01-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Which do you think is better?

Captain Maxx Power
01-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Well define old. Anything beyond this current gen could be classified as old. Dyou mean the distinction between 8-bit onwards? 16-bit onwards? Pre-PS2/Xbox?

Dreddz
01-29-2006, 11:53 AM
I enjoyed alot more games back in the days of the PSX.
I wasnt playing games much in the days of the SNES.

01-29-2006, 12:18 PM
I suppose pre-3-d Era

*~Endless Night~*
01-29-2006, 01:14 PM
it really does depend on the game, like i think ff has gotten better as time goes on, whereas my fave zelda game is the snes link to the past, although twilight princess looks set to kick ass! the old sonic games are sooo much better than the new no contest, it just depends

Chris
01-29-2006, 01:31 PM
I think it's impossible to compare old to new, especially since there are so many games in general.

Epiphany
01-29-2006, 01:39 PM
I say both. While new is usually portrayed as higher tech, and therefore better, old games usually have better story-lines.

Cz
01-29-2006, 01:46 PM
There have been awesome games in the past as well as in the present, and just as many terrible ones too. I guess it depends where you draw the line, but generally I wouldn't say that new games are any better/worse than old ones.

kikimm
01-29-2006, 06:07 PM
I think I like more new games than old ones.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-29-2006, 06:11 PM
new ones

~SapphireStar~
01-29-2006, 08:37 PM
I voted for both. I love my Sega, N64, GB games, but I also adore my PS1/PS2 and DS ones too.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
01-29-2006, 08:39 PM
I'd say both :D

Vyk
01-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Games that have captured my time and soul:
(PS1 and Saturn supposedly dawned the 3D Age, so...)
3D Age - KOTOR 1 & 2, Xenogears, FF7, Dragon Force, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus

Pre-3D Age - DOOM (64? Same style anyway. Pennacle of that style actually), FF6, Phantasy Star 4, Shining Force/Shining in the Darkness, Arcus Odyssey, Landstalker, Sonic the Hedgehog

Games that I could put 40 almost non-stop hours into? Well that's pretty much exclusively the first half of my 3D list. Which means that while old school games weren't bad necissarily. They werent intended for drawn out sessions. They're repetitive and quirky and usually good for an hour or so at a time. Hence Tetris and its ilk being the kings of this feild. Long live Bomberman for a fun time. Long live Xenogears for a long, deep, and overly engrossing story and playability. Face it, we're pampered. People complain when a game is only 10 - 20 hours long. Was Mario Bros 3 20 hours long? Or even 10 hours long. Who complained about length back then? See, now we have something we weren't even aware that we needed. And we take it for granted. I'm gonna have to say 3D all the way. They just try harder for us. They may fail harder. But I'll be damned if I"m gonna knock them for attempting to satisfy me more than any Pacman game ever has.

Necron
01-30-2006, 08:59 PM
I think it really depends on what the game is. Some old games are classics, and can't be compared to new games, which is more or less the point I am trying to make - old games are much more classic and well remembered than new games. For instance, Metal Gear Solid 1 is a classic. Final Fantasy VII is a classic. Without many of these classic games, the games today would not as good as they are. Which is my second point - games have revolutionized a lot since then, and many have even beaten their predecessors.
So, in conclusion, I would say they are both as good. Classics are always nice to replay, and the new games are graphically nice to look at, and are always good to just pick up and play.

Yuffie514
01-31-2006, 10:47 PM
old games (before the release of PSX) are good for reminiscing. i like to try out the new things that new games has to offer. i mean classic Ninja Gaiden is fun, but don't you just feel more like a ninja now thanks to Tenchu...

escobert
01-31-2006, 11:01 PM
I liek both, I'm not a huge graphics person if the storys right.

Rengori
01-31-2006, 11:09 PM
Last option that has no relevance to the question and is likely to be most voted because it's funny.

Nick Schovitz
02-01-2006, 12:11 AM
I think it really depends on what the game is. Some old games are classics, and can't be compared to new games, which is more or less the point I am trying to make - old games are much more classic and well remembered than new games. For instance, Metal Gear Solid 1 is a classic. Final Fantasy VII is a classic. Without many of these classic games, the games today would not as good as they are. Which is my second point - games have revolutionized a lot since then, and many have even beaten their predecessors.
So, in conclusion, I would say they are both as good. Classics are always nice to replay, and the new games are graphically nice to look at, and are always good to just pick up and play.

I agree definetly to this except about FFVII, long live FFVIII. anyway yeah I see more classics back of old age such as, Super Mario World, Kirby Superstar, FFIV Super Mario RPG, F-Zero and more.

edczxcvbnm
02-01-2006, 01:39 AM
I don't really give a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif anymore. As long as the game is awesome I could care less how old/new it is.

Rengori
02-01-2006, 02:00 AM
Ed = :love:

Maxico
02-01-2006, 08:12 AM
I find it strange that people consider the PSX old.

But if that's what were going with, I have to say that anything with Sega in it's prime is better than anything without it.

Markus. D
02-01-2006, 09:40 AM
I don't really give a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif anymore. As long as the game is awesome I could care less how old/new it is.

Neco Arc
02-01-2006, 11:44 AM
nothing beats old school pacman but i still say both...

KentaRawr!
02-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Depends on the game, really. I will say both.

02-06-2006, 06:19 AM
Nobody voted neither... not that I expected it

fantasyjunkie
02-06-2006, 07:53 AM
I say both. While new is usually portrayed as higher tech, and therefore better, old games usually have better story-lines.
I have to agree with this one right here. RPG's have much better graphics nowadays but I havent seen any that have the detail like the old Ultima games on the PC.

Germ Hamee
02-06-2006, 06:51 PM
It depends on the genre. I'm currently of the opinion that RPGs don't have much new to offer these days -- they're the same as they were five years ago, except prettier. The stories aren't necessarily worse, but we've been there and done that. So I guess you could say I prefer the RPGs of yesterday, only because at the time they presented new and exciting ideas.

But there's a lot of newer games I can't even compare to my older library because they're nothing alike -- Shadow of the Colossus, Indigo Prophecy... so my vote is neither.

02-07-2006, 04:19 AM
Wow... Two seconds later after saying no neither, there is one!

LunarWeaver
02-07-2006, 05:09 AM
Using Final Fantasy as an example, I came in at VI and have played each up. X is actually my favorite, but for some strange reason I PREFER to read them then listen to them. Reading them makes them more personal for me. So even though a "new" game is my favorite of the bunch, I prefer the "old" ones...Wait, none of that made any sense.

DMKA
02-07-2006, 07:48 AM
I agree with ed, though I must say I played and loved more games from the PS1 era than any other.