PDA

View Full Version : Suikoden V

Dreddz
01-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Lets hope they dont balls it up like Suikoden IV :)

~SapphireStar~
01-29-2006, 11:18 PM
I havent seen or heard anything of the next installment. Hopefully it will be much better then the last game. What a dissapointment to the series.

Raistlin
01-29-2006, 11:20 PM
I heard that S5's going back to the 6-party battle system. woot!

Erdrick Holmes
01-29-2006, 11:39 PM
I heard it's another prequel, taking place in between 1 and 2.

My name is...something..?
01-30-2006, 04:32 AM
It takes place not too long before Suikoden 1.
About ten years I think.
But yeah, it looks freaking sweet.
I want to play it badly.

Darkbeat
01-30-2006, 05:24 AM
Suikoden IV wasn't too bad...must say not the best game in the series, but boy did they screw up the original plot of Suikoden III. That was Konami's biggest mistake!

I really hope Suikoden V brings the series back to their former glory, since this will be the last Suikoden for Playstation 2.

Raistlin
01-30-2006, 05:46 AM
Suikoden IV wasn't too bad...must say not the best game in the series, but boy did they screw up the original plot of Suikoden III. That was Konami's biggest mistake!
What the fuck are you talking about? S3 was great! GREAT! It was S4 they screwed up badly.

S3: original characters. New, interesting hero system. Very developed characters. Good story; couple of good plot twists. New battle system (not the best, but at least they tried). New, very interesting, very well done skill system. New world map and major battle system (again, not great, but they tried).

S4: A LOT OF SIDE STUFF (treasure hunting, etc). That's about all this game had. NO character development (unless you count Snowe, who was just irritating as hell, so I tend not to count Snowe), a plot that a 12-year-old could've put together with more sense, a horribly boring battle system (the S1 battle system was better). I give them credit for the world map, though (again, not great, but they tried).

Darkbeat
01-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Did you actually READ what I said? I never denied that Suikoden III was great, but because they changed the original plot they screwed up. Gameplay wise and stuff it was a great game. Though the battling sucked majorly.

From what was posted on another forum I visit:

Suikoden V

Characters:

Protagonist(male)
- Eldest son of Queen Arshetat Falanas and Queen’s Knight Commander Felid.
-Wields a Falenian national treasure as a weapon, a connected three-piece rod.
-Choose voice A, B, or mute.
-In the Queendom of Falena, males do not bear the right of succeeding the throne.
-M-range.
-Generally doesn’t speak.
-I’m worried that he hasn’t been officially announced to be the Tenkai Star.
-Wears an orange outfit, the officially revealed outfit, and a deep red outfit.
-Seems like his skills are “attack” and “agility”(I think).

Rion(female)
-Knight apprentice
-Responsible for protecting the prince.
-Undyingly faithful to the prince.
-Since the hero doesn’t talk, she takes his place in developing the story; so hopefully, she will be a likeable character.
-When talking on the field in town, she shows up behind the hero(while other characters don’t) .
-Skills are “agility” and (? I forgot).
-M-range .
-Voice actor is Sendai Eri.

Georg Prime(male)
-Gained entry into the Queen’s Knights through his long-time friend, Knight Commander Felid.
-Dons a black outfit(uniform of the Queen’s Knights), and an eyepatch over his left eye
-At a glance, he seems to be in his 30’s.
-Oses “martial instruction” as a fixed skill, others are “abdomen?”
-Bears a critical attack rune.
-I can’t figure out his weapon, but it seems like a sword .
-Short range.
-Speaks very casually to the hero; requested by Rion “please stay alert in the royal palace.”
- To that, he responds “yea, my job’s to serve the court, but I’ve been doing this for a long time, it’ll be okay.”

Syaries(female)
-Arshetat Falanas's sister.
-Aunt of the prince, she lives her days at her fancy.
-Golden hair, which covers her left eye.
-Purple outfit, and her apparel within is quite small.
-Skills were something like ”long-something” and “magic.”
-Uses a “sphere” weapon type of the same descent as Akagi’s.
-Long range .
-Voice actor is Orikasa Ai .

Arshetat Falanas (female)
-Well respected by her people.
-Has been making a great effort to erect a peaceful nation, but…
-The Sun Rune seems to be attached to her forehead.
-A scene where she goes mad and loses herself has been spotted.

Felid(male)
-Said to be to have a large build.
-In addition to being Arshetat’s wife, he is the Commander of the Queen’s Knights.
-Renowned as the hero who saved the kingdom, for fending off enemy invasions at the front lines.
-Hero’s father.

Limslair(female)
-Sister of the hero.
-Eldest daughter of Queen Arshetat Falanas and Queen's Knight Commander Felid.
-Chances are that she is the next in line to succeed the throne.
-In addition to golden hair, she wears a necklace on her left ear.
-Short stature, outfit has a very Asian flavor.
-She adoringly and lovingly calls the hero “oniisama.”(brother-honorific)

Maikis(female)
-A Queen’s Knight.
-Limslair’s personal guard .
-Wields a small two-handed katana.
-Approximately the same age as Rion.

TGS Interview
Source: http://www.konami.jp/tgs2005/
The “deepest entry” in the series draws near!
A direct interview with Producer Matsugawa Tomonori!

Please tell us about your hardships in developing Suikoden V.
Certainly, figuring out how exactly to tell the story and how to resurrect the characters were most trying.

How far along is Suikoden V in development?
Just…a bit more.

What kind of exhibit is planned for TGS2005?
We’re going to show a 10 minute movie exclusively at TGS; and we’ll have a special booth set up, allowing people to play thoroughly through the first 15 minutes of the game. The number of people that may get the chance to play is limited, so we apologize in advance. Certainly do come and check it out.

Are there any specific points you’d like the visitors to notice?
Of course, I’d like them to notice the character designs. But mostly, I want them to get a feel of the personality and way of life of the characters from their dialogue. After all, that is Suikoden V’s focal point.

Lastly, do you have any final words for those eagerly waiting to purchase Suikoden V?
We are aiming for Suikoden V to be the deepest entry in the series. Please look forward to it. The first SRPG in the series, Rhapsodia, and the PSP remakes of the first two games will also be on display, so be sure to check them out too!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The story begins above a ship. The hero, Rion, George, Syaries are together.

On their way back from Solfarnis, they are introduced through some nonchalant banter.
Upon arriving at the capital, they have an audience with the Queen. The Queen is most affectionate and loving.

As the Queen listens to the report of their observation, a flashback scene begins.

The scene is Lordlake. As the name suggests, it’s said to be a town possessing incredible beauty, which is quite rare within Falenia.. But now, the canal has dried up, people are succumbing to sickness, and the land has degenerated into barren ruins.

It seems like the reason for Lordlake’s deterioration is the rebellion plot of two years past. In order to quell the rebellion, the Queen used her Sun Rune.

Under those circumstances, Duke Rouel of Lordlake and his wife were sentenced to death. Now old men wearing hats with special features called “talgeyu”(spelling?) (many in town can be seen wearing this hat) serve as mediators in the town. Talgeyu-wearing townspeople who act rude are actually prefaced with an apology.

Aphelion
01-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Finally they're heading back to two of the most fun characteristics of the series: the six-character party and the continuation of the plot (whatever it is, a prequel or a sequel, is included in the Suikoden timeline).

Also, two other characters have been confirmed (Killey and Lorelai, from the second game), as well as Viki. With those two small points and returning characters from the PlayStation games to offer some connection, I believe Suikoden is back on track.

Darkbeat
01-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Jeane will be back too and I believe playable! Complete heaven!

The protagonist looks like a girl though, but I love the weapon he is using. Reminds me of Tir McDohl.

Raistlin
01-30-2006, 03:18 PM
And I believe I saw somewhere that it's rated teen for partial nudity. I wonder what Jeane does now.

Dreddz
01-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Ive still yet to play Suikoden III, must get round to it at some point.

~SapphireStar~
01-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Its a pity cause I have Suikoden III, but no way to play it. No point chipping up my current PS2 cause its sadly dying on me :(

Dreddz
01-30-2006, 09:16 PM
PS2's all die eventually, I get the most out of mine ( ya, I have chipped my PS2 ) while I can.

Darkbeat
01-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Same here...unfortunately it died recently :(

So no Suikoden fun for me for a while. But that doesn't matter, because I'll be getting a new one soon. Need to finish Suikoden Tactics.

Madame Adequate
01-31-2006, 12:47 AM
Well, the promo vidoes I've seen have me extremely pumped about Suikoden V. I didn't mind IV, but it definitely wasn't as good as III. Hopefully this will be back on track (And I note in Darkbeat's quote that there is a choice of having speech for the main character? Does this mean he WON'T be a mute, like I, II, and IV's were? Only thing I really don't like about the series right there...)

MecaKane
01-31-2006, 04:27 AM
And I believe I saw somewhere that it's rated teen for partial nudity. I wonder what Jeane does now.
Oh it wouldn't be rated yet.
B-b-b-but... :love:

Erdrick Holmes
01-31-2006, 06:15 AM
Jeane better mudwrestle this time. Freakin Konami not reading my letters.

black orb
01-31-2006, 09:58 PM
>>> Suikoden 4 was a good game, you guys have no love for pirates, islands, Nay-Kobolds and more pirates.. :heart:

Im not worried about S5 because I know its gonna be a great game just like all the others..

Raistlin
01-31-2006, 10:39 PM
Nay-Kobolds are just another reason S4 sucked. Kobolds are vastly superior to their wussy cat counterparts.

black orb
02-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Nay-Kobolds are just another reason S4 sucked. Kobolds are vastly superior to their wussy cat counterparts.
>>> Just because they arent warriors like Kobolds, Lizards and Ducks??

Oh yeah, anybody know something about the Sun rune and its powers??..

xtreme112
02-01-2006, 11:29 PM
I wanna see them revive the classic sprite style of I and II, they're always going to be the pure suikoden element! ^_^

black orb
02-01-2006, 11:31 PM
>>> Sorry but I doubt Konami will make a 2D suikoden again..

Aphelion
02-02-2006, 12:06 AM
>>> Just because they arent warriors like Kobolds, Lizards and Ducks??

Oh yeah, anybody know something about the Sun rune and its powers??..
Not much. The Queen must have blown an entire city with it because of a rebellion (as you can see by Darkbeat's summary), but other than that, information until now is scarce.

black orb
02-02-2006, 12:25 AM
>>> I hope they bring back Yuber in his old heavy armor.

Aphelion
02-02-2006, 12:29 AM
>>> I hope they bring back Yuber in his old heavy armor.
Let's hope they bring him back in, for starters. We can talk about outfits later. Unveiling his' and Pesmerga's background would be nice, too, as well as more of the Sindar history and Leknaat or Hikusaak's true motives. But that would be too much for just one game, wouldn't it?*

*Not really.

Erdrick Holmes
02-02-2006, 12:30 AM
The sprite style, as much as I hate to admit it, will probably be never seen again, unless Suikoden 1 and 2 get released in the states for the PSP.

Alixsar
02-02-2006, 02:57 AM
The sprite style, as much as I hate to admit it, will probably be never seen again, unless Suikoden 1 and 2 get released in the states for the PSP.

Konami already said that it depends on how well it sells in Japan...and yeah, it's highly unlikely.

But anyway, V looks really awesome. It's got Killey in it. Let's not kid around here.

Madame Adequate
02-02-2006, 03:34 AM
I want to see Kinnison and Shiro again. :( And Sarah. Not the one from III, the laundry girl from I. She became stupidly good with magic, if I remember right. For a laundry girl.

And pretty much the entire cast of Suikoden II for that matter.

I should probably just play II again, eh?

Anyways, in Suikoden I the Sunbeam Rune heals your characters passively. So I don't think it's too great a stretch to suspect it's to do with healing/birth/creation, things of that nature.

Or huge lasers from space. Which is a more likely way of putting down a rebellion, I'll admit.

Let's hope they bring him back in, for starters. We can talk about outfits later. Unveiling his' and Pesmerga's background would be nice, too, as well as more of the Sindar history and Leknaat or Hikusaak's true motives. But that would be too much for just one game, wouldn't it?*

*Not really.

Matsugawa did say this would be the deepest in the series. Perhaps, if we're stupidly optimistic, we might infer that we're going to see some good exposition about the overall story and world of Suikoden?

Darkbeat
02-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Yuber and Pesmerga story...if you listened carefully in Suikoden III then you already know what they truly are ;)

I'll just use spoiler tags here for the ones who don't want to know ;)

Luc talked about Dharma and Chaos and how the world only existed with those. In fact Pesmerga is Dharma, Yuber is Chaos...in short this has been somewhat confirmed by Konami as someone almost got a lawsuit for bringing this information outside (no I am not joking!)

Oh and for those who are interested...Jeane gets even less clothing than in Suikoden IV!!!

http://avalanchestudios.net/uploads/viploader57534.jpg

Aphelion
02-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Luc talked about Dharma and Chaos and how the world only existed with those. In fact Pesmerga is Dharma, Yuber is Chaos...in short this has been somewhat confirmed by Konami as someone almost got a lawsuit for bringing this information outside (no I am not joking!)

Still, we don't know what they want, do we? And a battle between them (or an encounter, for that matter) wouldn't be so bad, anyway.

Oh, Sarah in S1 was the same as in S3? Is there any confirmation in this? Because, honestly, it's unlikely (I was about to say impossible, but you never know) that the laundry girl has something to do with that skilled magician whose partners brought me many nightmares (battle-wise, that is - Yuber's on my list, I'm telling you).

Darkbeat
02-02-2006, 03:03 PM
No Sarah in Suikoden I was a normal Star of Destiny...

Sarah in Suikoden III is a sorceress who was born with a Flowing Rune on her head and was claimed to have immense power. Harmonia kept her for her powers until she met Luc and travelled with him. Since then she has been by his side.

Markus. D
02-02-2006, 03:33 PM
now that I look back... I never really got to experience the "awe"-ness of the battle system.

was there anything else you could do apart from.... master runes and do co-op moves? (talking battle wise)