PDA

View Full Version : Converting music files

Hawkeye
01-29-2006, 10:52 PM
Anyone know where I can convert MIDI files into Mp3's?

rubah
01-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Many midi programs will allow you to export mp3 from midi. I'm not sure which they are. They're all 'zomp you have to buy us to unlock more than 17 seconds!'

You could also record from stereo mix if you don't mind a significant drop in quality (hahaha low quality midis!)

Xaven
01-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Yeah, woobah hit it on the spot.

(What about making mp3's from .wav files?)

nik0tine
01-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Is this at all related to Noteworthy composer?

Hawkeye
01-30-2006, 12:21 AM
Not really.

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
01-30-2006, 12:33 AM
I doubt MIDI's are capable of being converted as they are not music files

rubah
01-30-2006, 01:13 AM
flarenuke, they're perfectly capable. The difficult part is turning mp3s to midisx.x;

xaven, cdex will do it, also musicmatch jukebox and several million other programs, but those two do not require money.

Samuraid
01-30-2006, 01:51 AM
Most soundblaster cards have a recording mode called "What U Hear" which allows you to digitally record what is coming out of your speakers. If you have a soundblaster card, select this recording source, play the midi file, and record the output with a wav recording program at the same time.

01-30-2006, 10:12 AM
flarenuke, they're perfectly capable. The difficult part is turning mp3s to midisx.x;

xaven, cdex will do it, also musicmatch jukebox and several million other programs, but those two do not require money.

Sure, if you are willing to record it... Although they're may be a way... I'm just assuming since MIDI's are not literally a music file

And MP3 -> MIDI is freaking impossible... Although it is possible to make them on your own out of MP3... which is close enough

blackmage_nuke
01-30-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm just assuming since MIDI's are not literally a music file

well techincally midi is the only music file as all midi can actually do is play music whilst mp3 and wav etc can play any sounds not to mention midi stands for musical instrument digital interface
but anyways..
i belive unless you have advanced software or an mp3 recorder the only way is to record a wav and convert using a mp3 converter software

01-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Okay, let me rephrase... SOUND FILE

ShunNakamura
01-30-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm just assuming since MIDI's are not literally a music file

I am fairly certian that midi files are music files.

MID·I Audio pronunciation of "midi" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (md)
n. pl. MID·Is

1. A standard for representing musical information in a digital format.
2. Software that conforms to this standard, used for composing and editing electronic music.

All formats(mp3, etc) are standards of representing music/songs in digital format, are they not. What negates midi from being a music file but allows the others?

As for converting them to mp3, well lets just say I haven't found any good free software todate that does it. But then again I haven't tried every proggy out there... and xaven and cdex are unfamilar names to me.

Samuraid
01-30-2006, 06:33 PM
MIDI is strictly a music (notation) file while MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/etc. are audio formats.

MIDI stores each note electronically and your soundcard renders the audio. Other audio formats consist of a fully rendered audio stream.

01-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Well, I'm saying that an MIDI tells your computer to play the notes... so it's not a sound file... how could you convert something like that to an mp3?

rubah
01-31-2006, 12:53 AM
By clicking the option that says 'export to mp3'?

ShunNakamura, I was suggesting that Xaven (the user) should use cdex. Not you, as it doesn't have any midi capabilities that I am aware of:)

I suggest using google. The very first hit was http://www.pistonsoft.com/midi2mp3.html which is a [n apparently] unrestricted 30 day trial.

I just ran one of Nik0tine's midis through there, Little song in G minor, and it sounds fine:]
(fine in that it sounds like a midi in mp3, not a midi played with real instruments.)

ShunNakamura
01-31-2006, 10:40 AM
oops... that is what I get reading posts when I am ill.

xenapan
02-11-2006, 11:47 PM
winamp has a nice output controler. with a plugin or two, you can output to just about anything you want as long as you can play it in winamp.