PDA

View Full Version : FF1 site advice requested

Dr Unne
01-30-2006, 12:09 AM
So let's say I have an FF1 site ( http://ff1.classicgaming.gamespy.com/ ) and I have a bunch of people lined up who want to help me update it regularly again. I know the site is looking pretty crappy right now, my host screwed it all up for some reason and I'm repairing it. This is a good time to start working on everything again while I repair the damage, I figure.

What do you think my site could use in terms of additional FF1 content? My ideas so far:

1) Listing more specific monster information, such as all the monsters on each floor of the dungeons etc.
2) More Japanese info (translation, differences between English and Japanese versions, I don't know?)
3) Dawn of Souls info. Most of my current info already applies to all the remakes, so I only need a "differences" section for this, listing the additional stuff thats in DoS but not in the NES version. Anything else about Dawn of Souls that matters enough to make a section about it? I've actually not yet played it.
4) Listing the contents of treasure chests on all my maps.
5) More PSX info, like all the in-game artwork.
6) Additional sprite library containing map tiles and such. Not sure who this would be useful for.
7) Plaintext version of the walkthrough.

You get the idea. Anything else anyone would care to see done?

(This spam has been admin-approved.)

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
01-30-2006, 12:30 AM
I can help you with a lot of this... I've read a lot about FF1... Want me to help you, CAN I BE SITE STAFF ♥♥♥!!

abrojtm
01-30-2006, 04:11 AM
OMG ITS DR UNNE...!!!!

I'd be willing to help you with a Soul of Chaos section. That would be the Earthgift Shrine, Whisperwind Cove, Lifespring Grotto, and whatever the Fire place is called. (LoL). That would also include the 50+ monster and 16 boss bestiary.

01-30-2006, 09:29 AM
1) Listing more specific monster information, such as all the monsters on each floor of the dungeons etc.

I can do that, It would take a bit of time, but trust me... It'll take less than three days

2) More Japanese info (translation, differences between English and Japanese versions, I don't know?)

I know an FAQ that said all the differences, I have it currently

3) Dawn of Souls info. Most of my current info already applies to all the remakes, so I only need a "differences" section for this, listing the additional stuff thats in DoS but not in the NES version. Anything else about Dawn of Souls that matters enough to make a section about it?
I've actually not yet played it.

Yes, there is, The dungeons, new bosses, changed MP System

4) Listing the contents of treasure chests on all my maps.

This will take me one hour tops

5) More PSX info, like all the in-game artwork.

Can't help ya there

6) Additional sprite library containing map tiles and such. Not sure who this would be useful for.

I know how to do this, But i'm a bit too lazy for that kind of work :p

7) Plaintext version of the walkthrough.

Super damn easy, but still too lazy :p

I'll do the walkthrough first

You get the idea. Anything else anyone would care to see done?

(This spam has been admin-approved.)[/QUOTE]

01-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Here's an example of how I would do the map editing... I want to add a more Final Fantasy NES font... which I may have to create myself... :(

Also... CAN I WORK ON YOUR SITE STAFF [heart]!!!

Flying Mullet
01-30-2006, 12:57 PM
A couple more suggestions:
- A guide to the menu system (main menu, equipment, items, etc...)
- Status ailments and how to cure them

01-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Slain - LIFE spell, LIF2 spell Clinic
Poison - PURE spell, PURE potion
Stone - SOFT spell, SOFT potion
Darkness - LAMP spell
Silence - AMUT spell
Paralyze - (none)
Sleep - (none)

That's all aliments...

Dr Unne
01-30-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm not asking for people to help me. I have enough people for now. I'm asking for suggestions on what the site needs.

Flying Mullet, that's a good idea. I already have an explanation of some Japanese menus (http://ff1.classicgaming.gamespy.com/wscjapanese.php). Funny how I never did the English ones.

01-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Oh... Dammit... I feel so idiotic...

Captain Maxx Power
01-30-2006, 11:37 PM
You can easily use FFHackster to get a HUGE amount of as yet undisclosed data. A lot of it won't mean an awful lot to the average punter though.

01-31-2006, 12:51 AM
That's true... I use Hackster to see what's in the chests

Dr Unne
01-31-2006, 01:00 AM
You can easily use FFHackster to get a HUGE amount of as yet undisclosed data. A lot of it won't mean an awful lot to the average punter though.

That's the plan. I don't know where else to get some of the info I need.

Black Mage FF1
01-31-2006, 01:26 AM
That's the plan. I don't know where else to get some of the info I need.

Go to gamefaqs.com and check sqpats character lists FAQ. That basically has all the info you will need. Of course, you will have to ask him if you can use it first.

Dr Unne
01-31-2006, 02:00 AM
Go to gamefaqs.com and check sqpats character lists FAQ. That basically has all the info you will need. Of course, you will have to ask him if you can use it first.

I always find that vaguely amusing. Can I say I own the copyright on the fact that an Ogre has 195 HP since it's on my site, and people who write down that fact need to ask me first? :) I would ask someone before I blatantly uploaded something they wrote unchanged to my site, but I have no problem using someone else's info as a reference source, even without asking them. You can't own facts. I let people take pretty much anything from my site that they want without asking, for example. All game information is actually owned by Square (if anyone), not by website makers or walkthrough writers.

If I ever used something from someone else, I'd give them credit because I'm nice, but not because I feel like I have to. That is an interesting FAQ though, I hadn't seen that one. It may be helpful with monster locations, if nothing else. I'm not sure about most of the other stuff. I don't want to turn the game (or my site) into an algebra lesson.

I think when you get to the level of decompiling a game to mathematically map its battle mechanics, you've not only crossed the line between "fun" and "not fun", you've lit the line on fire and danced upon its flaming corpse. Though I guess people have their own notions of what is fun.

Rengori
01-31-2006, 02:13 AM
Ask Nihilus if you can put his FFI remake on your site.

01-31-2006, 03:15 AM
One-Word:
Kearu...

Black Mage FF1
01-31-2006, 01:40 PM
I always find that vaguely amusing. Can I say I own the copyright on the fact that an Ogre has 195 HP since it's on my site, and people who write down that fact need to ask me first? :) I would ask someone before I blatantly uploaded something they wrote unchanged to my site, but I have no problem using someone else's info as a reference source, even without asking them. You can't own facts. I let people take pretty much anything from my site that they want without asking, for example. All game information is actually owned by Square (if anyone), not by website makers or walkthrough writers.

If I ever used something from someone else, I'd give them credit because I'm nice, but not because I feel like I have to. That is an interesting FAQ though, I hadn't seen that one. It may be helpful with monster locations, if nothing else. I'm not sure about most of the other stuff. I don't want to turn the game (or my site) into an algebra lesson.

I think when you get to the level of decompiling a game to mathematically map its battle mechanics, you've not only crossed the line between "fun" and "not fun", you've lit the line on fire and danced upon its flaming corpse. Though I guess people have their own notions of what is fun.

Yeah Im not saying you "have" to. But considering all the hard work it took the guy to make that FAQ, if you are gonna use it you should credit him.