PDA

View Full Version : Hardware going soft?

bipper
01-30-2006, 01:40 AM
Thought I would pop this in for your hardware and pc trouble shooting Gurus.

My computer is a 2.4 GHZ standard PIV processor on an Intel Board. I have an Nvidia TI 4400 video processor on the Vetro board.

The problem: It seems as though any time I do anything to effect the visuals on my computer, I get a redraw issue: A blantant flicker on the screen. Even typing tends to cause this issue. It has been slowly getting worse, and I really don't have another decent board around that will support an AGP video card. I started playing WoW and it played fine until latley. Now the graphics dont load.

I know it isnt the monitor, as I have tried three different monitors. I have tested the ram, and that looked fine - so I guess I would just need to inquire on a good method of checking the board, processor, and video card.

Any ideas?

Bipper

P.S. I had a fan running near it, and that seemed to reduce the flickering somewhat as well. Still goes flickers badly and such.

Samuraid
01-30-2006, 01:53 AM
Sounds like some sort of crosstalk. Check for any sources of electrmagnetic interference around the computer. My guess would be that the motherboard is to blame though.

Welcome back by the way. :) Haven't seen you around for a bit.

bipper
01-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Haven't seen you around for a bit.

Blame WoW :), My tunneling machine [at home] was down atm, so at work - I work :( Plan on seeing me a bit more now though.

Anways, back to the problem - Removing the fan seemed to help a bit, but it still flickers. The video card does get HOT! But from my experience, when a video card starts to go, it causes more havok than just a flickering screen.

Without having parts to swap out atm, it's gonna be fun. This was happening fairly frequently about a month ago, then I just dusted the hell out of the box, and it seemed to offer a temporary remedy. Still, no luck I finding the bad hardware.

Bipper

EDIT [FIXED] I got the problem fixed. I started getting blue screens on boot and other behavior issues as well. With the new job, it took me a while to find time to buckle down and fix the computer, but I got-r-done *cough*. There was a wad of lint stuck on the heatsync... After removing that, and adding some good silver heatsync, she runs perfectly now. I honestly figured that overheating the processor area would cause the board to shut down, not flicker /shrug oh well - *happy end*