PDA

View Full Version : Does Tidus die his hair ?

Renmiri
01-30-2006, 10:11 AM
A vitally important FFX mystery :D

My 5 year old wanted a Tidus action figure and he got it for his b-day. The doll came with a dark blue stripe on the hair, Tidus looks like those people that forget to die their hair when it grows and the roots are a different color... :eek:

Then I noticed FFX has some scenes where Tidus does have some black roots on his hair. Is he a fake Blondie ?

Inquiring minds want to know!

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/7000/reunion24.jpg

Project G
01-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Good point! But how would the dye stay in his hair after all those Blitzball matches?

Christmas
01-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Tidus doesn't seems to be blonde when he was a kid anyway.

http://www.gamecritics.com/feature/preview/ffxadd/image01.jpg

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
01-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Tidus was originally meant to have black hair...

Renmiri
01-30-2006, 02:33 PM

Great catch!!

*~Endless Night~*
01-30-2006, 03:31 PM
wish i knew where he got his dye from coz it stays in a lot damn longer than any of mines ever have

Tabris
01-30-2006, 03:42 PM
The colour of ones hair tend to change as one grows up. It could be perfectly believeable for Tidus to have brownish hair as a boy, and blond hair when he was an adult.

To be honest, I don't think the creators of the game meant for him to have dyed hair, I believe they just thought he looked cuter with dark roots and dark eyebrows (those eyebrows could be a giveaway, though - blond men tend to have blond eyebrows as well).

Heero Yuy NWZC
01-30-2006, 04:49 PM
don't u mean dye? i agree, with others. some ppl are born with blonde hair and later on it turns to black. that's just a way of nature.:D

Renmiri
01-30-2006, 04:58 PM
don't u mean dye? :D

:eek:

Ooops!

Anaisa
01-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Tidus's hair is bleached. In Japan its popular for guys to bleach their hair apparently, so maybe thats why they decided to go for the bleached look.

SoulTaker*
01-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Tidus's hair is bleached. In Japan its popular for guys to bleach their hair apparently, so maybe thats why they decided to go for the bleached look.
No, Meg Ryan is a very popular actress in Japan, You Got Mail is like number 1 all time in the box office their.

a nirvana fan
01-30-2006, 07:18 PM
It's only a game dude.

TheSpoonyBard
01-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Does Tidus die his hair?
Die! *stabs hair*

Tidus was originally meant to have black hair...
Agreed. There's a screenshot of Tidus with black hair standing outside Remiem Temple on page 19 of the Official UK Playstation Magazine (Issue 66, Christmas 2000).

Rhi
01-30-2006, 08:00 PM
can i see?

TheSpoonyBard
01-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Sure, if you have the magazine. I couldn't find the picture online and I don't have a scanner/digital camera.

Rhi
01-30-2006, 08:03 PM
poopie!!!

actually, i wonder if my brother has that...

Vaprice
01-30-2006, 10:43 PM
game=made by japanese people
japanese people=like dying hair and being crazy...
tidus=yes died hair, why because the game developers thought it'd be a nice change to see thier hero with new hair!:choc2:

Renmiri
01-31-2006, 01:08 AM
tidus=yes died hair, why because the game developers thought it'd be a nice change to see thier hero with new hair!:choc2:

Well, I'm not complaining, Tidus is a cutie!

But I wonder if he will find stuf to bleach his hair in Spira ;)

Slade
01-31-2006, 03:15 AM
It is possible that his hair naturally bleached. When you spend alot of time in the sun your hair bleaches. I know from experience (although, it wasn't as extreme as Tidus, just the tips of my dark hair went blonde). Tidus would spend alot of time outside training and such for his Blitz tournaments and thus, his hair would bleach over time. The only thing that suggests otherwise here is that Zanarkand seems to be always dark.........

01-31-2006, 03:21 AM
Umm... Japanese people have black hair only... I would not be suprised if they dye their hair...

Sain Cai
01-31-2006, 03:32 AM
Tidus must shop at Wal Mart and gets "Super Blonde". This stuff kept me blonde for I dont know how long.

4evarisha
01-31-2006, 04:25 AM
he might no idea

Heero Yuy NWZC
01-31-2006, 04:48 AM
It is possible that his hair naturally bleached. When you spend alot of time in the sun your hair bleaches. I know from experience (although, it wasn't as extreme as Tidus, just the tips of my dark hair went blonde). Tidus would spend alot of time outside training and such for his Blitz tournaments and thus, his hair would bleach over time. The only thing that suggests otherwise here is that Zanarkand seems to be always dark.........
This si a possiblity. Since Tidus spends a lot of his time in those blitzball sphere things the water enhances the suns rays and bleaches his hair.

Flake
01-31-2006, 05:37 AM
Jecht and Tidus's mother both had brownish hair.
So it would make sence for Tidus to dye his hair...and apparently his Zanarkand was supposed to be like modern time,so it wouldn't be to far fetched for him to have dyed his hair.

Psydekick
01-31-2006, 07:49 AM
Maybe he don't stop at inn's for rest but to buy hair dye:)

Anaisa
01-31-2006, 02:18 PM
Tidus's hair is bleached, so he wouldn't need to buy hair dye. Bleach does not wash out or wear out, it grows out. An Tidus's hair could not be bleached in the sun to the shade his hair is, or to the extent that it is, in real life. The sun in Zanarkand would have to be extremely strong to do that,an if that were the case, there would be no dark haired people in Zanarkand,and they'd all be heavily tanned!

Heero Yuy NWZC
01-31-2006, 04:50 PM
as i already said, tidus was in those blitzball spheres which are filled with water. in turn the sun's rays are amplified by the water. Tidus is in the water every game(and with him being a blitzball star he must be in there for quite a while to practice as well). so in conclusion, it is possible for Tidus' hair to bleach from the sun.

Anaisa
01-31-2006, 07:00 PM
Yes its possible for everyones hair to be lightened by the sun. But not to the extent Tidus's is. In reality, nobody with dark hair no matter how much time they spend in the sun, will get their hair to go that many shades lighter.

~SapphireStar~
01-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Hair colour does change over the years. I was white blonde untill I turned 2 when I became a brunette. My hair may go back to being blonde later on in life. Same with my fella, who had brown hair at birth, is now blonde and may become a brunette in the future.

So Tidus was brunette as a child and now as a teen it has become blonde. Perhaps later on it went back to brunette. Who knows?

Renmiri
01-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Hair colour does change over the years. I was white blonde untill I turned 2 when I became a brunette. My hair may go back to being blonde later on in life.

My sister too, she had strawberry blonde hair until she was around two, then it got darker as she grew up. She went back to strawberry blonde, but she had to use Redken :D

Yuffie514
01-31-2006, 11:08 PM
i'd look stupid if i did the same thing to my hair. why not love your natural hair color...

Anaisa
01-31-2006, 11:38 PM
My natural hair colour doesn't suit me, so thats why I don't love it.

Renmiri
02-01-2006, 03:10 AM
Here's the doll, doesn't Tidus look like a reverse skunk, with that dark stripe on his hair ?

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/7060/tidus32zk.th.jpg (http://img477.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tidus32zk.jpg)

Flake
02-01-2006, 04:25 AM
That doll's hair is ugly.

Oh and in the words of your 5 year old..."MOM IT'S NOT A DOLL IT'S A ACTION FIGURE!"
:p

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Yes its possible for everyones hair to be lightened by the sun. But not to the extent Tidus's is. In reality, nobody with dark hair no matter how much time they spend in the sun, will get their hair to go that many shades lighter.
u are not getting the part about him in the blitzball spheres full of water. water magnifies the sun's rays which in turn would bleach his hair. this part is what u can't comprehend

fire_of_avalon
02-01-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I've actually thought about this quite a lot. On the one hand, FF leading men tend to have very light hair. Cloud, Zidane, Cecil, Edgar and Sabin etc, while the leading women tend to have dark hair (this is especially true in the later games, no so much the, erm, First Generation ;)). So, I'm wondering if this is a kind of tongue in cheek stab at their own motifs through the years. They "need" a light haired leading man, so they "make" Tidus dye is hair blonde.

Of course, Slade could be correct here;
It is possible that his hair naturally bleached. When you spend alot of time in the sun your hair bleaches. I know from experience (although, it wasn't as extreme as Tidus, just the tips of my dark hair went blonde). Tidus would spend alot of time outside training and such for his Blitz tournaments and thus, his hair would bleach over time. The only thing that suggests otherwise here is that Zanarkand seems to be always dark........., which is also something I've thought about.

Is it weird to think about this stuff? xD

EDIT: Additionally, in response to Anaisa, if you start out with light brown hair, it can bleach completely to a dark blonde similar to Tidus's. But I'm still in favor that the developers were poking fun at themselves. :]

Anaisa
02-01-2006, 06:03 PM
u are not getting the part about him in the blitzball spheres full of water. water magnifies the sun's rays which in turn would bleach his hair. this part is what u can't comprehend
I can easily comprehend it. It doesn't matter how much time you spend out in the sun, whether your in water or not, your hair can only be bleached so light. Just like when you tan, no matter how long you spend in the sun you'll only go so brown, an your hair will only go so light. If you look at the shots of Tidus as a child his hair was quite a light brown shade so he could actually reach a dark blonde in the sun, but he couldn't acheive the shade his hair actually is in the game in this way. An if you look at Tidus's hair when he's older, his roots are darker than when he's a child, and his eyebrows are also darker than that hair colour. On some pictures, an that figure, they actually look black, you definitely would not get hair that dark to go that light with sunlight alone. An another thing, if the sun could give your head a full head of highlights with as much coverage as Tidus has got, it certainly wouldn't miss your roots. An if Tidus got hair that colour due to playing blitzball in the water, then all human blitzball players, unless they wore a cap, would all have bleached blonde looking hair, an heavy tans.

Renmiri
02-01-2006, 06:56 PM
That doll's hair is ugly.

Oh and in the words of your 5 year old..."MOM IT'S NOT A DOLL IT'S A ACTION FIGURE!"
:p
How did you guess he says that ? :D

Is it weird to think about this stuff? xD
I hope not because I do too!

Anaisa is correct, I grew up two blocks from a very sunny surfer's beach. And like Anaisa said, even with surf bums spending the day in the sun, most of them spending several hours wet under a scorching sun, their hair didn't get the dramatic contrast that Tidus gets...

A lot of the surfer guys I knew had that kind of bleached hair Tidus has, but they put their board wax on their hair to get that way. It seems paraffin, sunlight and saltwater are a natural bleaching agent. Paraffin doesn't spread to the roots so easily, hence the dark roots look. But it only worked with the surfers who were a natural dark blonde, the brunettes just got dark brown / golden lights.

Sigh... The surfers I knew were so cute, yet so brain dead... Most of them are in rehab or died of overdose by now. :(

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-01-2006, 07:22 PM
anaisa, u are avoiding the concept. is FFX related to our world? no so i rest my case that their sun could be the cause since their sun would be different than ours. also, as fire_of_avalon said, the sun bleached his hair from a light brown to a darkish blonde which is similar to Tidus' hair. besides, the chromosomes in ur genes create ur hair color and the follicles of ur hair have those genes in them, so if they are exposed to the sun long enough, they can be altered to where the dominant traits(dark hair color) are weakening to recessive traits(light hair color). this is no assumption or guess. this is fact.

TheSpoonyBard
02-01-2006, 07:52 PM
is FFX related to our world? no

besides, the chromosomes in ur genes create ur hair color and the follicles of ur hair have those genes in them, so if they are exposed to the sun long enough, they can be altered to where the dominant traits(dark hair color) are weakening to recessive traits(light hair color).

Tidus is a dream of the Fayth, and as such I don't think chromosomes and the like have much meaning. As you said, Spira does not conform to the norms of reality. His hair can be whatever the Fayth want it to be. I wouldn't use science to justify something in a video game.

Then again, it could be possible that Tidus could choosse to alter his appearence, much like Auron.

Anaisa
02-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Heero, ive already said that the sun there could be different than ours. An the fact still remains that if the sun was able to bleach Tidus's hair with as much coverage as it has, why would it completely miss the roots? And no it is not a fact that sunlight can alter your genetics that make up your hair colour, it can't. The sun changes the colour of your hair externally only.

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-01-2006, 10:07 PM
how so? u sayin that the sun kills the organisms in the hair and makes it turn lighter? and what i said was true. i did not say that the FFX world did not confirm the norms of reality. i said that there position near the sun could be different from ours. this is what i meant. and what i said was true. as u know there are more than one pair of traits for each gene. there are other traits that determine the strength of the dominant or recessive trait in that gene. the sun can kill these and weaken the dominant or recessive trait by killing off those others that determine the strength. i have been in biology. im not so sure that square would make their world too dissimilar from ours and i think that genes is one thing that they did not alter(reproductive system is the same in their, as is the distribution of genes). tell me what u think if there are problems. :D

Anaisa
02-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Im saying that the sun only lightens the hair strand, it doesn't alter your genes that effect your hair pigment.

Flake
02-02-2006, 02:48 AM
How did you guess he says that ? :D

Because I used to be 5 :p
And all of my dolls were action figures so I wouldn't seem girly :laugh:

TheSpoonyBard
02-02-2006, 10:10 AM
im not so sure that square would make their world too dissimilar from ours
How about fiends, pyreflies, the Ronso, the Guado, magic, Sin, the Fayth, aeons, little dolls that walk and attack of their own accord, etc?

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-02-2006, 04:26 PM
ever heard of races? we have hispanic, asian, african, and caucasian. these are the same principles. that does not make their world dissimilar though. im talking about the world itself not the inhabitants.

02-03-2006, 12:02 PM
His hair was meant to look died... NO QUESTION, I think you guys are trying to make a debate about this

boys from the dwarf
02-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Because I used to be 5 :p
:eek: "TRULY!?!":eek:
lol! FF4 reference:D .

obsessed_wif_yuna
02-12-2006, 07:33 AM
The only thing that suggests otherwise here is that Zanarkand seems to be always dark.........
thats tru but at the veri veri start of the game, wen u watch tidus play blitzball during the scene, his hair is blonde not black.

Psydekick
02-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Hed probably just died it hoping to get sum chicks LOL!:)

Tanith
02-15-2006, 09:27 AM

But when asians bleach their hair they get that gross orange colour. My stepmum tried it. I laughed. :D

Is it just me, or does Tidus's face look sort of asian-esque? But then the blue eyes and bright blonde hair throw me off...

Tanith
02-15-2006, 09:37 AM
And as an afterthought...you guys are really getting into this whole 'hair can be bleached naturally!' debate, hey? I'm not sure it really matters. I'd assume it was dyed.

Well, each to their own I guess.

Aulayna
03-28-2020, 03:31 AM
Important questions that lurkers on the Who's Online list looking at old threads make you think about.

I reckon he probably does...

Fynn
03-28-2020, 07:07 AM
He did have black hair in the alpha version, so he probably did at some point

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-28-2020, 01:45 PM
I suppose I've never really thought about it. I've just always seen him as having dirty blonde hair, and the darkness of the roots was just to discern shading. Plus, some blondes naturally have dark hair underneath due to "new hair" being exposed to the sun less, or whatever the article I looked up 5 seconds ago said.

But far be it from me to assume that a JRPG character doesn't have a hair care routine.

Not gonna lie I thought this was a pun thread. I thought maybe die instead of dye was some kind of Dream Zanarkand joke, but nope.

Galuf
03-28-2020, 04:32 PM
Dye-dus

Mr Gashtacular
03-30-2020, 07:37 PM
*removes a blonde hair stuck between teeth*

uhm why are you asking me? why would i know hahaha how could i possibly know that?!

Jiro
04-03-2020, 12:49 PM
Here's my theory that I have zero confidence in and have done literally zero fact-checking for: surely David Beckham was a big influence as a popular star athlete and I recall him having a messy dyed blonde look vaguely around that time period, so I feel like Tidus would have done similar. However, given the fact that he's a dream of the Fayth based on Shuyin, does he need to dye his hair or do the Fayth just make it naturally look like that? AND FURTHERMORE does Shuyin dye his hair??