PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your zombies?

SoulTaker*
01-30-2006, 06:07 PM
I finished watching Land of the dead a few nights ago, and I must say not George Romero's best work. It was cute back in the day to have zombie's who move like 80 year old parkinson patients. But they WILL catch you, because you will fall down and allow them to catch you. But in this day in age dont insult my intelligence, I expect my attackers to be fully mobile, like in Dawn of the Dead 2004, 28 days later, and Resident evil 4. I know you may say that in 28 dl and RE4 they technically arent zombies, but who cares, regular zombies are to easy to kill and just not frightening in a the age of automatic weaponry, even in the old RE games most hordes of zombies can be dispatched with knife swipes to the legs, and even in the RE universe they can only manage to take control of a small hick town not the whole world.

So the question remains how do you like your zombies?

Anaisa
01-30-2006, 06:47 PM
I prefer the slow zombies, they are more amusing. If a zombie is too fast, you won't have time to mock them before you kill them, or escape from them.

a nirvana fan
01-30-2006, 06:49 PM
I don't really care as long as they are flesh eating freaks roaming the earth.

Pure Strife
01-30-2006, 07:33 PM
There's a certain charm to the shuffling, moaning rotting freaks. These new running zombies feel like different monsters altogether sometimes.

Wuggly Blight
01-30-2006, 07:38 PM
these zombies that can run, open doors and blackflip threw hoops really miss the hole point of what a zombie really is.

kikimm
01-30-2006, 08:49 PM
I can't stand zombies, and I like them nonexistant.

But if I had to choose, the "shuffling, moaning rotting freaks" are the best. :monster:

Dreddz
01-30-2006, 09:18 PM
The zombies in Dawn Of The Dead ( remake ) are by far the most superior, even though I did prefer Day of the Dead in general.

look_out_below
01-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Zombies with some speed behind them. Then it is actually believable that they can catch the main characters in the movie/story/whatever.

Madame Adequate
01-31-2006, 12:55 AM
Slow zombies. Fast zombies, co-ordinated zombies, and clever zombies are not zombies, they are some other creature entirely. Also, they lose most of their horror - why? Because the whole point of zombies is that they are so easily outwitted, and so easily outrun, and if you've got anything remotely resembling a decent weapon they're easily killed, but they will still get you. It's the crushing inevitablity of their numbers, their lack of fatigue, and the complete perfection of willpower which makes them scary.

Fast zombies give no time for the involved character to have any interaction with them. There's no horror or fear, there's just "OHCRAPAZOMBIE*Blamblamblam*OKITSDEADNOWK!".

I can't remember where it is, but Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead) wrote a vey good little piece along pretty much those lines.

So yeah, slow, ambling, mal-coordinated zombies. If they have to exist at all. :(

Venom
01-31-2006, 01:12 AM
Not really a huge fan of the concept of zombies.

fire_of_avalon
01-31-2006, 01:23 AM
Ooo I like zombies. I like all zombies, they're scary.

DK
01-31-2006, 01:23 AM
Not really a huge fan of the concept of zombies.

theundeadhero
01-31-2006, 04:08 AM
ZOMBIES DON'T EXIST!

SoulTaker*
01-31-2006, 06:31 AM
Slow zombies. Fast zombies, co-ordinated zombies, and clever zombies are not zombies, they are some other creature entirely. Also, they lose most of their horror - why? Because the whole point of zombies is that they are so easily outwitted, and so easily outrun, and if you've got anything remotely resembling a decent weapon they're easily killed, but they will still get you. It's the crushing inevitablity of their numbers, their lack of fatigue, and the complete perfection of willpower which makes them scary.

Fast zombies give no time for the involved character to have any interaction with them. There's no horror or fear, there's just "OHCRAPAZOMBIE*Blamblamblam*OKITSDEADNOWK!".

I can't remember where it is, but Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead) wrote a vey good little piece along pretty much those lines.

So yeah, slow, ambling, mal-coordinated zombies. If they have to exist at all. :(
Shaun of the dead was funny as hell, but raise your hand if you seen Land of the Dead..... If you have seen it you'll know what Im talking about, theirs a scene where the zombies bust through a mall and attack the people inside, the people take off running while the zombies are shuffling, never gonna catch up right? WRONG, next scene all the people are getting torn to shreds, how the hell did creatures that move .2 miles an hour catch up to fully sprinting human beings? Its not scary its funny, in the 1990 remake the zombies are shown to be how weak they really are, the main character basically side steps through them all. I think if I keep running like this that zombies never gonna catch me, let me fall down to give them a fair chance.

The concept of zombies rule though, it plays to the primal fear of being eaten alive, also it may be you love ones doing the eating, I just like my horror movies to have creatures faster than my grandma.

Giga Guess
01-31-2006, 01:52 PM
The slow shuffle...I mean the extras on Shaun of the Dead explain it all.

Anaisa
01-31-2006, 02:34 PM
I think if the zombies are fast it gives them too much of an advantage. Its just not believable that you could escape if they are as fast as humans, and they out number them by a large amount.

Mo-Nercy
01-31-2006, 02:52 PM
Slow zombies are still scary in their own way. Like the ones that crawl around on the floor and grab your feet from under a table. Or the ones that travel in huge packs and just totally surround you, just because there's so many.

Yeah, slowies are cool.

Madame Adequate
01-31-2006, 03:01 PM
The slow shuffle...I mean the extras on Shaun of the Dead explain it all.

That's where it was! It wasn't written at all, it was on the DVD.

Shaun of the dead was funny as hell, but raise your hand if you seen Land of the Dead..... If you have seen it you'll know what Im talking about, theirs a scene where the zombies bust through a mall and attack the people inside, the people take off running while the zombies are shuffling, never gonna catch up right? WRONG, next scene all the people are getting torn to shreds, how the hell did creatures that move .2 miles an hour catch up to fully sprinting human beings? Its not scary its funny, in the 1990 remake the zombies are shown to be how weak they really are, the main character basically side steps through them all. I think if I keep running like this that zombies never gonna catch me, let me fall down to give them a fair chance.

No, you're missing the point. Sure, there might be discrepancies, but the fact is just because you can outrun a zombie doesn't mean you can outpace it. Sure, you might get away from a zombie, but you'll have to stop to catch your breath. Unless you're a marathon runner, you're not likely get far enough away for the zombie to lose track of you. And don't even think about vehicles! Unless you've got an armored car, or can fashion something suitably armored and able to go through most terrain, you're still going to have some severe problems. Even in those lucky circumstances, you're going to have to worry about gas and maintenance.

The problem with most zombie movies is that they focus on a small thing for a small length of time. One group of people, usually in one building, before they are rescued or make an escape attempt. People tend not to think about the long-term possibilities of the matter, especially concerning a large, nation- or even world-wide outbreak.

SoulTaker*
01-31-2006, 11:18 PM
That's where it was! It wasn't written at all, it was on the DVD.

No, you're missing the point. Sure, there might be discrepancies, but the fact is just because you can outrun a zombie doesn't mean you can outpace it. Sure, you might get away from a zombie, but you'll have to stop to catch your breath. Unless you're a marathon runner, you're not likely get far enough away for the zombie to lose track of you. And don't even think about vehicles! Unless you've got an armored car, or can fashion something suitably armored and able to go through most terrain, you're still going to have some severe problems. Even in those lucky circumstances, you're going to have to worry about gas and maintenance.

The problem with most zombie movies is that they focus on a small thing for a small length of time. One group of people, usually in one building, before they are rescued or make an escape attempt. People tend not to think about the long-term possibilities of the matter, especially concerning a large, nation- or even world-wide outbreak.
It has to be a small group of people surrounded in an inclosed space because their is no way Romero could make people afraid of his zombies otrherwise, on small scale slow zombies are scary on a large scale not so much. 28 days focused on the large scale possibilities and it seemed pretty similar of how world governments would respond to an outbreak, since the UK is an Island they just quarintened it and waited for the evil creatures to starve to death. Also in the Dawn remake at the beginning of the movie it shows the world being overrun because these zombies can actually keep up with you, coupled with surprise and the zombies not being totally weak I could actually see the world being overrun. But I think if slow moving zombies were the enemy I see them being contained and eradicated farely quickly, which is the case in most zombie movies like in RE and Shaun, but Romero in his movies actually has the zombies taking over the world.

I saw the HBO edition of Shaun of the dead so I missed their explanation on the DVD, but Romero's explanation has something to due with Rigamortis.

In reference to you marathon runner statement, I've been chased by a dog before and I can tell you if you fear for your life you can run for days. But that was a dog, I could out jog zombies.

I think if the zombies are fast it gives them too much of an advantage. Its just not believable that you could escape if they are as fast as humans, and they out number them by a large amount.
The thing is In the Dawn of the Dead remake depending on how you view the ending the protagonists dont escape, and in 28DL the only reason they escape is because the ceatures starve to death. And their isnt such a thing as to much of an advantage in horror movies, if you eliminate the threat of the horror movie monster it eliminates the fear factor. Great horror movie writers are good at giving the aura of "hopelessness." Theirs no believability to me in that fact that slow zombies could threaten me, but thats probably why I find them more funny than scary.
This review of Land of the Dead pretty much sums up my beef with slow zombies adn Romeros new movie. Contains some spoilers.
http://www.geocities.com/tyrannorabbit/landofthedead.html

lady yunalesca
01-31-2006, 11:37 PM
i love all zombies!!! very partial to an old rotting "flesh eating zombie" (for those of you that have seen it the scene with the zombie fighting a real shark is amazing isnt it?) but when the modern day zombies in the remakes started to run i was thrilled!!! they couldnt make them the same could they?? it would have been too camp!!!

SeeDRankLou
01-31-2006, 11:48 PM
ZOMBIES DON'T EXIST!
Says the man with an undead reference in his username. :tongue:

I don't know really, the zombies in Dawn of the Dead remake didn't really seem all that realistic, they seemed more like monsters than zombies. I suppose if done correctly running zombies could work, but I have yet to see it done correctly.

Rengori
01-31-2006, 11:50 PM
Stir-fried zombies are the best. People could make millions off of them if zombies came back.