PDA

View Full Version : *howls at the moon*

Lord Xehanort
01-30-2006, 08:26 PM
I need information on lycanthropy. Medical lycanthropy (that hairy disorder), mythological lycanthropes, lycanthropes in movies, anything helps.

Two requirements:
1) None of this: 'wearwulfs, sliver ballet, LoL!'
2) No wikipedia entries.

TOPIC: Give Billy info AND discuss lycanthropes.

Lycanthropes represent our deepest, most carnal inhibitions. What's not to love?

Lost Number
01-30-2006, 08:28 PM
All I know is they rarely get proportions right in films.

Psychotic
01-30-2006, 08:29 PM
The name isn't as catchy as werewolves, that's what's not to love.

-N-
01-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Try Google and WebMD, man.

Lycanthropes are freaks, just like everyone else.

Resha
01-30-2006, 08:38 PM
That Michael Jackson video...I think.

Chemical
01-30-2006, 08:58 PM
I wrote a greatly accepted academic paper on Psychosubliminal Messages in Films that discusses how film regulates human behaviour by teaching moral lessons through observational learning.

I can upload it for you.

I discuss two cult classics: Ginger Snaps and American Werewolf in London.

Itself, has a bundle of resources you may find useful in your own research and may prove to be insightful while looking at the aforementioned lycanthropic films.

Lycanthropes represent our deepest, most carnal inhibitions.

I discuss this, also, in length by drawing parallels to Freudian and Jungian theory. Especially that concerning the battle between the Id and Superego for the concious Ego.

Dignified Pauper
01-30-2006, 09:24 PM
At every full moon, I read that Neel turns into a fat pasty white guy. I believe it was VC who told me.

Mirage
01-30-2006, 09:26 PM
It's true, I've witnessed it myself. He was kinda sexy.

Death Penalty
01-30-2006, 10:17 PM
A fat pasty white guy?
Good One.
HAHAHAHAHAHAH:chuckles:

Chaos
01-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Lycanthropes eh?

I know a couple of people who are into that. Run around pretending to be wolves...or, being wolves...however you look at it really.

Each to their own. I understand it as people compulsivly believeing they either should be a wolf or have a close connection to their wolf spirit, were-side type thing.

Can be fun I suppose.

Shoeberto
01-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Each to their own. I understand it as people compulsivly believeing they either should be a wolf or have a close connection to their wolf spirit, were-side type thing.
What about ducks?

Not that I feel like I'm close to a duck spirit at all. Why, saying something like that. . .would be ludicrous! I'd be. . .I'd be rejected from society!

:cry:

-N-
01-30-2006, 11:57 PM
At every full moon, I read that Neel turns into a fat pasty white guy. I believe it was VC who told me.It was Jebus who spelt out the prophecy.

Chemical
01-31-2006, 12:52 AM
Man, I love werewolves...

And those of you who hear werewolves and think <a href="www.furcadia.com"> THIS </a> stop. :P

It's been such a long tradition in the western culture as I know it. Despite cinime exploiting it for whatever they can it's history spans back farther than that... and that's what I think is so interesting about it. These "primitive" folk tales have horrified and entertained the people within its culture for centuries, you can't say that about TV. In fact TV is so repetitive and boring that they have to constantly recreate reality to even appeal to a person.

People once believe a werewolf, the mad man who runs naked in the moon, would come and eat your babies then eat you.

I don't really know any good books, I suggest just going to your local library, the internet is p00p when it comes to resources. Though it can sometimes be a good book pointer outer.

Lord Xehanort
01-31-2006, 11:17 AM
I wrote a greatly accepted academic paper on Psychosubliminal Messages in Films that discusses how film regulates human behaviour by teaching moral lessons through observational learning.

I can upload it for you.

I discuss two cult classics: Ginger Snaps and American Werewolf in London.

Itself, has a bundle of resources you may find useful in your own research and may prove to be insightful while looking at the aforementioned lycanthropic films.

That's the best idea I've heard all week.

escobert
01-31-2006, 11:24 AM
not kinda. VERY.

Chemical
01-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Alright, here's my paper.

Though I implore you, if you're going to borrow some ideas please reffer me.

I'm one of those people who puts a great deal of trust into shared information but also believes that acknowledgement is due for hard work.

Alright, So the attachments

1 Psycho-Subliminal

This is the main essay and the only one with academic credit.
It's 8 pages, 1.5 line spacing with a 1 page bibliography.

Main Ideas: (I'm citing from the essay here)

“there is no question that we sense many things without being consciously aware of them” and that “there is also no question that unconscious factors can affect behavior or motor action”(Carroll).

The formalistic qualities within the film, such as character, plot and imagery appeal to the unconcious which consequently regulates behavior.

To proove this point I:

I disarm the formal componants of myth and spectacle and apply rational analysis.
II place the results within a psychoanalytical context.
III synthesizing all previous conclusions with pre-established concepts in media, culture and anthopology.

I know it doesn't seem to have much to do with werewolves, but since I focus in on the horror genre and werewolves to proove my thesis, they're much more integrated into the main body. So be patient.

Thhe Second Attachment
"Lycanthropia"

The profiles of the patients have been removed from the movies, Ginger Snaps and American Werewolf in London, and synthesized with “Dr. Seward’s Diary,” from Dracula. The reason in doing so is to eliminate the myth and spectacle from the film in order to isolate the psychological importance. “Dr. Seward’s Journal” is appropriated for the patient study because of his character role in Dracula as well as the format he uses. Seward is scientific and in his analysis uses only rationality and observation. His analysis of his patient, R. M. Renfield, is identical to my goal in understanding each respectable victim of lycanthropia. By synthesizing the character information with Seward’s format I will be able to isolate and respect the psychological and behavioral characteristics of lycanthropia. To emphasize the rational and analytical significance of my studies I have written them in APA format.

So as you can see, it was just a written aid I used. There is no validity to it, so to speak... except I found it very useful to look at the characters as if they were psychologically ill.

They are not werewolves, they think they are and all the symptoms are delusions. They see fur, but it's not there. The actions are real though, so it explains how the "Id" takes over the Ego and causes the person under speculation to act in a primitive manner.

Hope this helps.

If you'd like to talk about the paper, have any questions etc. you can get a hold of me on MSN or AIM.
min_tee_@hotmail.com / Ashley K Faith