PDA

View Full Version : The Truman Show!? (spoilers)

Ezme
01-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Something occoured to me while playing this for the umpteenth time today. Why do none of the residents of Dream Zanarkand want to explore the beyond? Well except Jecht I suppose, he goes off on the boat. Do you think it just smashes into the side of the set like in the end of truman show? Also Tidus doesn't know the names of any of the old cities in spira. Surely the dream zanarkand people would know about at least Bevelle, but theres also besaid, luca and the city above the moonflow.

Lost Number
01-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Since it is contained within the dream, and made by th efayth, surely that control what they know?

Renmiri
01-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Indian tribes sometimes have no idea we westerners exist. I suppose when your grandparents and great grans never knew about another city you just think this is how things should be...

mega_tonberry
01-30-2006, 09:58 PM
I don't remember where, but I read somewhere that if a citizens of dream zanarkand saw beyond or almost left the boundaries of the city, Yu yevon would send them back and erase their memory or something like that.

Jessweeee♪
01-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Well, if they are a dream, then perhaps the fayth only dreampt that Tidus and Jecht would leave. Like they said, they became more than dreams.

BG-57
02-01-2006, 12:45 AM
The city seems to exist seperately from the rest of Spira. Even such a prominant landmark such as Mount Gagazet, which looms over the ruins of Zanarkand, doesn't seem to exist in dream Zanarkand.

Being dreams, the people that inhabit Zanarkand don't seem to be aware of the boundaries that limit them. It reminds me of another movie where people live in a self-contained world: Dark City. Tidus seems surprised that anything is beyond Zanarkand.

Be that as it may, Zanarkand seems to built on a series of mesas that rise out of the ocean. It seems entirely cut off from land.

Renmiri
02-01-2006, 03:20 AM
The Matrix also had a similar plot, except that in the matrix some of the fayth escape their pupeteer and stop dreaming on their own...

obsessed_wif_yuna
03-02-2006, 08:56 AM
ye ye ye but zanarkand and bevelle were at war.

and if they didnt noe about bevelle, then how could they be at war wif each other?

TheAbominatrix
03-02-2006, 09:03 AM
The real Zanarkand was at war with Bevelle. The dream Zanarkand was created by those who had been lost in that war/involved/whatever, so why would they continue the war in that dream?

Zanarkand is probably just surrounded on all sides by water into infinity, I'd assume.

Jecht Shot
03-02-2006, 04:36 PM
According to one of the FFX Ultimanias (Ultimania are a series of books that Square publishes for their games since FFVIII; FFX had at least two of them, one covering the gameplay and one covering the story), Yu Yevon would sometimes just reset the summoning for various reasons. One of those reasons would be that somebody would become too curious about the outside world.

While it is like the Truman Show, thats not really what happened to Jecht though. He was just training out at sea, saw Sin, became a little too curious and swam close to him. Sin absorbed him, like it did Tidus, and took him. I guess in that case, Yu Yevon wasn't aware of what was going on, or he probably would've reset the summoning before Jecht got too close to Sin.

Ezme
03-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Sin could've been the reason for the reseting..... when the real world encroaches too much into the dream world