PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy X rereview (SPIOLERS)

Sephex
01-31-2006, 01:07 AM
A couple of weeks ago, I played through FFX for the third time. I let everything sink in and I decided to review it once again. Let's see how this game has held up for four years. I'll break it down...like so:

Gameplay: I'll admit that I had the most fun with the game my third time around. I knew the tricks of the trade, and I also knew how to BS my way out of everything. I'm better with RPGs that let me see lots of info. That's when I ABUSE THE POWER. Despite that, I prefer the gold old ATB system and its many variations. Sure, it's fun to plan ahead, but I like to be put on the spot more. Also, the non-world map STILL makes me feel that I am on rails.

Graphics: Except for the FMVs, they didn't look as good as I remember. Sure, they look polished, but it's the little things that drive me crazy. When Tidus' character model is shown in game the necklace he wears seems glued to him, or it is part of his body (watch when he leans over during the conversation with Yuna on the boat that is headed towards Kilika--it drives me NUTS). Damn that necklace...

Music: Yeah, the score isn't as cool as past soundtracks, but a lot of the main themes rule. "To Zanarkand" is one of Uematsu's best tracks. It didn't really hit me untill after this playthrough. Better than I remembered.

Voice Acting: Why...does everyone...tal..k...like this? The voices aren't the problem, but whoever recorded and mixed them needs to be shot. There is no need to elaborate here. If you're not a FFX fanboy/girl, you know what I mean.

Story: Also better than I remembered. Yeah, there have been better RPG stories out there, and Square tried to go against the grain a bit and stray away for cliches. I like the ending for the sole fact that not everything was tied up in a nice package, which most FFs end up doing.

Overall: A good FF for me. Not bad. Not great. Just good. I'd say that it's around the middle of where I rank my FFs.

I'll be doing a rereview for FFIX in a couple of weeks if you liked this one.

Renmiri
01-31-2006, 01:35 AM
I think that to understand the success of FFX or any video game for that matter you have to put it in the context of what was available at it's time. Of course the graphics TODAY don't seem as bleeding edge as in 2002, and the storytelling too evolved a lot...

Hey people used to think Pac Man was a good game, right ? In 10 years FFX may be so outpaced by other games that people will wonder what made it so good...

To me, FFX gave me more than just a game. It was a movie you could interact with. A good story I'd watch in video, combined with a game that was very entertaining. The characters seemed real, they cried, they kissed, they yelled at each other. Not your typical Zelda or other kiddie like graphics. The game rocked but what really made it unique IMHO was the effort they put in making their characters seem like real people.

Rengori
01-31-2006, 02:36 AM
The game was a little short, and Tidus's necklace also bugged me, and dear lord the sphere grid, but the battle system and story helped make up for that. I agree, it was good, not great, not bad.

Tabris
01-31-2006, 04:31 PM
One comment about the voice acting:

The reason they ta...lk...like... this, is because they try to match the words with the movement of the character's lips. I've seen the same thing in the dubbed Jackie Chan-movies I have (to be honest, I think the voice acting in FF-X was much better than in most of the dubbed JC-movies).

I must admit, I was quite surprised when I started reading reviews about FF-X and saw how many that was reacting to the voice acting. I was actually amazed over how good it was, although I don't doubt being able to understand Japanese and playing the original would've been better.

Flake
01-31-2006, 05:46 PM
Is there a reason Yuna seems to be the one who ta...l...ks like this the most?

Nice rereview.I agree on some of it :thumb: