PDA

View Full Version : The brothers' coin toss

Flying Mullet
01-31-2006, 03:04 PM
I haven't played the game in a while, but I was just thinking about the coin toss scene between Edgar and Sabin. Did Edgar use the double-sided coin? From the scene I got the impression that neither of them was thrilled about ruling the kingdom, so they let the coin toss decide it. There are a couple of places in the game where the double-sided coin makes an appearance, so I didn't know if that was forshadowing. Yet it doesn't make sense if Edgar really wanted the kingdom, because I was assume that Sabin would have given it to him.

Thoughts?

Neco Arc
01-31-2006, 03:23 PM
I think Edgar did use the double sided coin. He did this as to allow Sabin his freedom, away from palace rule, whilst he himself would take charge of Figaro.

I could be wrong though.

Crossblades
01-31-2006, 03:31 PM
He did use it. I think Locke mentioned this

Tavrobel
01-31-2006, 08:17 PM
If you take Sabin and Edgar in your party to the opera house, when Celes tells Setzer she will marry him if he wins the coin toss, she asks Edgar (not that they actually speak), and he will give her the two sided coin. Sabin will then go berserk, realizing that his freedom was only because of his brother. To answer the question, Edgar DID use the double sided coin.

As for the whole kingdom ruler problem, the former king (Sabin and Edgar's father) said in his will that his kingdom be divided in two, one for Sabin and one for Edgar. No matter what they would do, they would both be in charge, but since Edgar is the older of the twin brothers, he would have slightly more executive power. But since they made a deal, Edgar is granted his brother's portion of the kingdom; hence, his position when you meet Edgar, and when you find Sabin, he is only referred to as "Prince", not "King".

Of course at the ending, we see the coin, with one side as Edgar, and the other as Sabin. Because currency in Figaro was likely to have the face of its rulers and successors, Sabin would easily have been fooled, as both sides are in fact "heads".