PDA

View Full Version : Minorities in Final Fantasy

Ashley Schovitz
02-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Have you realized that in not too many FFs do they include minorities, such as I mean all of those that are considered to be the minority in the US excluding the Asians. Final Fantasy mostly has Caucasians or Asians in their games, for example Yuffie, Rinoa, and Yuna all look to be asian even Tifa and Aeris in Advent Children, but they mostly put in Caucasians. The only black person that I've seen in any FF is in VII and that's Barret, where are the others?
I know that Wakka is one but I don't know which one. I've heard people say that he's hispanic, he sounds slightly like one in his accent, but I doubt that he really is. So do you too think about the lack of reaching out to other people in FFs is lacking?

Shin Gouken
02-01-2006, 12:31 AM
Final fantasy has nothic to do with ethnic minorities. Therefore the lack of it doesnt bother me. In fact i never even considered it till just now

vampirepiggyhunter7
02-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Raijin Buddy
Kiros Dona
General Leo Lucil
Blank? Maroda
Lani Mindu/Minwu
Baralai?
I'll list the rest laterhttp://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/grimangelbellybutton/point.jpg

Nick Schovitz
02-01-2006, 01:16 AM
Who is General Leo? and I think she was referring to ones that you can actually be and blank is definetly white.

Vyk
02-01-2006, 01:56 AM
How many black people visit Japan do you think? Which nationality do you think they're trying most to deliver for? I think if they had it their way everyone would look asian or non-descript. Tidus totally looked caucasian while you were playing, but during cut-scenes you could clearly tell he was meant to be asian. That doesn't mean they have something against caucasians too, it's just they're asian, their characters are going to be asian or mystical. You want black people in a video game, black people need to help create a video game. If I wrote a story, most of the characters would be white, 'cause I'm white. I think it'd be a little presumptuous to try to cater to a culture or group that I can't really relate to, because I'm not them.

Ashley Schovitz
02-01-2006, 02:00 AM
Hmph, you're clouded but even in some of my stories that I write the main characters are Caucasian eventhough I try to add blacks, asians, and hispanics in them too or that's being racist.

Rengori
02-01-2006, 02:03 AM
and is definetly white.
General Leo is from FFVI. He's a general. For the Empire.
http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/GeneralLeo/General%20Leo%20-%20Status.gif
Seems pretty black to me.

Nick Schovitz
02-01-2006, 02:04 AM
I was talking about Blank

Rengori
02-01-2006, 02:09 AM
Oh. I was wondering what you were talking about.

Vyk
02-01-2006, 07:42 AM
Hmph, you're clouded but even in some of my stories that I write the main characters are Caucasian eventhough I try to add blacks, asians, and hispanics in them too or that's being racist.
A lack of ethnic diversity is not racism

Awesomeman
02-01-2006, 08:57 AM
A lack of ethnic diversity is not racism

He's right you know.

The Devourer Of Worlds
02-01-2006, 09:22 AM
General Leo is from FFVI. He's a general. For the Empire.
http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/GeneralLeo/General%20Leo%20-%20Status.gif
Seems pretty black to me.

He doesn't look black at all. Hell, he looks like Bruce Willis.

Anaisa
02-01-2006, 10:50 AM
He doesn't look black at all. Hell, he looks like Bruce Willis.
He doesn't look black, but he's brown. Why are "black people" called black, when their not even black?, their brown . Although white people are called white, when their not white either. But thats because there is no colour the same shade as "white people". Bruce Willis!:laugh:

The Devourer Of Worlds
02-01-2006, 11:03 AM
I really don't see how anyone could consider that black/brown or whatever else that implies a African ancestry (ok, there's is no Africa on the FFVI world but you know what I mean...). If square really intended to make him black, they would have made it obvious (eg Barrett).

blackmage_nuke
02-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Blackmage might be black, you can never tell :p

But blackbelt and thief from FFI seem to have skin abit darker than figter and whitemage or redmage but that could just be a tan though...

Rengori
02-01-2006, 04:17 PM
He doesn't look black, but he's brown. Why are "black people" called black, when their not even black?, their brown . Although white people are called white, when their not white either. But thats because there is no colour the same shade as "white people". Bruce Willis!:laugh:
That's true. I just remembered a funny Futurama Quote.

Zap Brannigan (preparing troops for battle): Some of you are white, some of you are black. You're brown. And you're silver!

TheSpoonyBard
02-01-2006, 04:27 PM
The Pupu race is severely under-represented.

SoulTaker*
02-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Final Fantasy games generally are filled with Caucasians, about 3 asian looking characters, and 1 character of color, I mean look at their anime, they all look anglo saxon. I have never seen an asian that looks like Tidus in my life, he looks like Meg Ryan and she's white. I think FF8 has the record with 2 black characters, Kiros and Raijin. I'd rather them not do other minorities anyway, they usually just stereotype, like Barret, I think thats how Japanese view black people, big, mean, and simple minded. All he does is throw out swear words and threaten to beat people up. I remember a moment in the game when your on the airship and he says YEAHHHH BOYYYY, like it was 1992 and everyone is still listening to Flava Flav and Public Enemy, if thats not blatantly stereotyping I dont know what is, or how about Wakka, I think he is supposed to be Caribbean or something and he just throws out words like ya mon, and wuz up brotha. Any moment Im waitin for him to bust out singing "Dont Worry be happy". You cant fault the Japanese animators though, the only Black or Mexican people they experience are the ones that come into town off a american naval base.

TheSpoonyBard
02-01-2006, 05:22 PM
All he does is throw out swear words and threaten to beat people up
So does Cid.

Other than Barret there are black people in the Wall Market gym.

Fatal Impurity
02-01-2006, 05:43 PM
its the same with alot of games practically every game i can think of stereotypes black people and other ethnic minorities its life we cant change it so we deal with it

ljkkjlcm9
02-01-2006, 07:35 PM
I seriously think before FFVII, which was the first game to obviously have a person of color, it was because of graphic limits. Someone mentioned FF1 but if you get into the actual data of the game, each character is limited to 3 colors, and for some characters, white just wouldn't fit into the scheme, and black inferred a blank space you could see through, plus the entire background in fights was black, so the guy would be invisible. So honestly, I believe part of it is graphic restriction, and the other part is, they never really thought about it. I mean they create whole new species, so I don't really think they were racist.

It's like the whole acceptance thing, you don't have to approve of something to accept it, to bring my own personal opinion in. I'm not a fan of homosexuality, I believe it goes against one of our main purposes in life, but if they keep it behind closed doors and don't rub it in my face all the time, which they tend to do nowadays, I accept it, and just avoid it. Acceptance does not mean approving. Disclusion does not mean racism. If you asked Square-Enix, they'd probably be like, oh, that never really crossed our mind...

THE JACKEL

THE JACKEL

-N-
02-01-2006, 07:47 PM
He doesn't look black, but he's brown. Why are "black people" called black, when their not even black?, their brown . Although white people are called white, when their not white either. But thats because there is no colour the same shade as "white people".Arabs and Indians get to be called "brown". Don't listen to Talib Kweli.

I agree with the fact that racial homogeniety doesn't imply racism. I also liked the diversity of FFVII's cast and I wish there would be more of it. However, not all countries have the luxury of having such a diverse culture as America or Britain, so it is understandable to see games with characters of limited diversity.

Also, these games are meant to be in a fantasy setting. People may look all white or Asian, but those concepts have no meaning in a fantasy world. Square has chosen from FFIX and onward to parallel our racial conflicts with species conflicts. We had Genomes, Burmecians, Cleyrans, Dwarves, Black Mages, Qus, and more in FFIX. We had Al Bhed and Ronso in FFX (and the parallels of African-American discrimination to Al Bhed discrimination were pretty obvious). It is superficial and foolish to call these games racist because they don't carry our conventional races. It's "Fantasy" for a reason.

SoulTaker*
02-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Their not racist, they just stereotype to a degree.

DeathKnight
02-01-2006, 08:40 PM
:choc2: Japanese people haev ALWAYS been that way, they always cater everything to caucasians, sad if you ask me.

-we need more latinos, blacks, asians, even some kick ass arab people:choc2:

Rpgs with diversity: Shin Megami Tensei series, Shining Tears, The Legend of Dragoon, and Final Fantasy X to a degree

Vyk
02-01-2006, 10:18 PM
This is going to sound totally racist, but I'm gonna step out on a limb here. Disclaimer note, I am not racist, so bear with me.

I'm sure people have heard ignorant racial remarks like "They all look the same to me". And as bad as that is, it's slightly true to a degree. Asians hair colors are for the most part, all black. Eye colors don't vary much. Skin types usually only vary in tone/shade/darkness/lightness. Same issue with black people. And call me an ignorant fool if I'm wrong, but as far as I know it's a lot the same with middle eastern cultures. Whereas with caucasians you have not only different skin tones, but different skin types. I've never seen an asian with freckles (but I won't discount the possibility). Nor have I seen a black person with blue eyes. Or an arab with red hair. Caucasians are just the most visually distinct race. And as I pointed out about cut-scenes in ten. I believe what Square tried to do (and I'll attest the same thing is going on in animes and everything else) was make Asians just as diverse. Those aren't meant to be caucasians. They're meant to be diverse asians. A japanese person with naturally pink hair. Blue eyes. Cat ears. Sometimes they make the setting America, but that's pretty rare on the whole. Its usually set in tokyo, or some fantasy place. And they're usually characters that are born there. So you know what their pedigree is meant to be.

Rengori
02-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Vyk makes the strongest point.

Shiny
02-01-2006, 10:41 PM
I thought Kiros was Black or of some other decent that wasn't White. He didn't act like a sterotypical Black person. I think that most of their characters look Asian, because that's what they're used to seeing. Then again...I looked at the 12 trailer and realized all the main characters are blond and look White. :whaaa: What world are they living in?

This is going to sound totally racist, but I'm gonna step out on a limb here. Disclaimer note, I am not racist, so bear with me.

I'm sure people have heard ignorant racial remarks like "They all look the same to me". And as bad as that is, it's slightly true to a degree. Asians hair colors are for the most part, all black. Eye colors don't vary much. Skin types usually only vary in tone/shade/darkness/lightness. Same issue with black people. And call me an ignorant fool if I'm wrong, but as far as I know it's a lot the same with middle eastern cultures. Whereas with caucasians you have not only different skin tones, but different skin types. I've never seen an asian with freckles (but I won't discount the possibility). Nor have I seen a black person with blue eyes. Or an arab with red hair. Caucasians are just the most visually distinct race. And as I pointed out about cut-scenes in ten. I believe what Square tried to do (and I'll attest the same thing is going on in animes and everything else) was make Asians just as diverse. Those aren't meant to be caucasians. They're meant to be diverse asians. A japanese person with naturally pink hair. Blue eyes. Cat ears. Sometimes they make the setting America, but that's pretty rare on the whole. Its usually set in tokyo, or some fantasy place. And they're usually characters that are born there. So you know what their pedigree is meant to be.
I'm pretty sure Asian, Black and Latino people have different skin types too. Although it's rare for them to have eye colors other than Brown or Hazel. However, I have seen alot of Blacks with grey eyes (naturally). Maybe it's just where I live. :confused:

SoulTaker*
02-01-2006, 10:58 PM
I thought Kiros was Black or of some other decent that wasn't White. He didn't act like a sterotypical Black person. I think that most of their characters look Asian, because that's what they're used to seeing. Then again...I looked at the 12 trailer and realized all the main characters are blond and look White. :whaaa: What world are they living in?

I'm pretty sure Asian, Black and Latino people have different skin types too. Although it's rare for them to have eye colors other than Brown or Hazel. However, I have seen alot of Blacks with grey eyes (naturally). Maybe it's just where I live. :confused:
I have seen very light skinned black people, Ive seen black people with red hair. And if you go by region white people look alot alike as well, British Isle people are generally stereotyped to having pasty pale skin with red or Germans are stereotyped to having blonde hair and blue eyes. Italians are stereotyped to be short with black hair and brown eyes.

Many of my black friends say that all white people look the same to them. An African from South Africa has many physical attributes that differ from a Northern African. You probably wouldnt notice the difference but they do, as an Asian person notices the differences between a Korean or Japanese person, I dont but they do, call a Chinese person Japanese they get pissed.

Its kind of different in America where their are hardly any pure races.

Rengori
02-01-2006, 11:02 PM
What world are they living in?
Ivalice. Duh.

Shiny
02-02-2006, 01:17 AM
Ivalice. Duh.
Oh no, I wasn't talking about where the characters were from. It was a retorical question about where the makers of FF12 were from. Seeing as how they made those characters look the same.

Germans are stereotyped to having blonde hair and blue eyes.
Actually, alot of Germans I've seen have dark hair. I guess it depends on the area you're in.

Many of my black friends say that all white people look the same to them. An African from South Africa has many physical attributes that differ from a Northern African. You probably wouldnt notice the difference but they do, as an Asian person notices the differences between a Korean or Japanese person, I dont but they do, call a Chinese person Japanese they get pissed. First off... these Black friends you know...they are evil. Anyone who says that certain races all look the same is either blind, or purposely being rude. Not all White people look the same; that's absurd! It all depends on genetics. Although you know if a person is lighter skinned odds are they probably have some American or European decent. And alot of people can't tell their own race from other races. It's extremely difficult to try to find differences within races. So I guess to me Asian people look Asian. Black people look Black. Latinos look Latin, and White people looks White. I leave it at that.

Its kind of different in America where their are hardly any pure races. True.:bgl:

RaidenWeb17
02-02-2006, 02:26 AM
I read somewhere that the reason FFX characters look more Asian than anything else is because that Square was used to using asian facial expressions in their other titles and using the Asian facial expressions that they had seen all there life would be a lot easier than bringing in an American and having to get all new facial data and stuff like that. Also they look asian to appeal to the Japanese

EDIT: But I heard that the main chick from FFXII is going to appear more French than Asian.

Death Penalty
02-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Oh no, I wasn't talking about where the characters were from. It was a retorical question about where the makers of FF12 were from. Seeing as how they made those characters look the same.

Actually, alot of Germans I've seen have dark hair. I guess it depends on the area you're in.

First off... these Black friends you know...they are evil. Anyone who says that certain races all look the same is either blind, or purposely being rude. Not all White people look the same; that's absurd! It all depends on genetics. Although you know if a person is lighter skinned odds are they probably have some American or European decent. And alot of people can't tell their own race from other races. It's extremely difficult to try to find differences within races. So I guess to me Asian people look Asian. Black people look Black. Latinos look Latin, and White people looks White. I leave it at that.

True.:bgl:
How are these black people evil. I'm black and I have no problem with barret cus thats what black culture represents now.

SoulTaker*
02-02-2006, 08:39 PM

First off... these Black friends you know...they are evil. Anyone who says that certain races all look the same is either blind, or purposely being rude. Not all White people look the same; that's absurd! It all depends on genetics. Although you know if a person is lighter skinned odds are they probably have some American or European decent. And alot of people can't tell their own race from other races. It's extremely difficult to try to find differences within races. So I guess to me Asian people look Asian. Black people look Black. Latinos look Latin, and White people looks White. I leave it at that.

True.:bgl:
Their not evil their just stating that white people look the same to them, as Vyk stated that black people look alike to him. Just depends on how many black people or white people you see on a daily basis I think.

Death Penalty
02-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Their not evil their just stating that white people look the same to them, as Vyk stated that black people look alike to him. Just depends on how many black people or white people you see on a daily basis I think.
Nuff Said.

Prancing Mad
02-02-2006, 10:30 PM
It ain't racist, but they are in need of more "colours".

SoulTaker*
02-02-2006, 10:38 PM
More colors? Like what indigo? Theirs black people that range from almost yellow skin tone to actually almost garnering the hue of black, and whites range from extremely pale to pink almost red. i dont undrestand your definition of more colors.

Shiny
02-02-2006, 10:49 PM
How are these black people evil. I'm black and I have no problem with barret cus thats what black culture represents now.
Simple...because of what they said about a certain races looking the same. That's not true. Not all people look the same. They need to look deeper. Nuff' said 'bout that. I do have a problem with Barret being represented in the way he was, because it's a streotype, but I also think it's a compliment to Blacks (Barret being a strong, powerful, center for the group). However, the dialgoue he said was ridiculous. Not all Blacks talk like that. Infact, *shocking* most are actually articulate :rolleyes2 yeah. By the way to anyone who will probably say that comment was racist I was being extremely sarcastic. Barrets dialogue sucks! Black culture does not represent what Barret represented, because Black culture stands for much more than just yelling and ebonics.

SoulTaker*
02-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Simple...because of what they said about a certain races looking the same. That's not true. Not all people look the same. They need to look deeper. Nuff' said 'bout that. I do have a problem with Barret being represented in the way he was, because it's a streotype, but I also think it's a compliment to Blacks (Barret being a strong, powerful, center for the group). However, the dialgoue he said was ridiculous. Not all Blacks talk like that. Infact, *shocking* most are actually articulate :rolleyes2 yeah. By the way to anyone who will probably say that comment was racist I was being extremely sarcastic. Barrets dialogue sucks! Black culture does not represent what Barret represented, because Black culture stands for much more than just yelling and ebonics.
Barrets stance in the game as a caring strong individual is a compliment to blacks, but I agree his dialogue could get way over the top ometimes.

Vyk
02-02-2006, 11:26 PM
In Square's defense, I don't think they meant for Berret to "represent" black people. He was just merely a black character. And there are black people that are like that. Its not a slander against black people. It's just a personality they chose to give him. Not all old people want to be austronauts. They don't all smoke, or cuss, or hate their assistants. Not all asians are ninja theives. And not all barmaids have big boobs :D There was no representation, it was just characters.

TheSpoonyBard
02-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Cid isn't old; he's 32. I know plenty of elderly (70+) people that have their heads in the clouds, smoke constantly, swear and hate everyone.

Shiny
02-02-2006, 11:33 PM
In Square's defense, I don't think they meant for Berret to "represent" black people. He was just merely a black character. And there are black people that are like that. Its not a slander against black people. It's just a personality they chose to give him. Not all old people want to be austronauts. They don't all smoke, or cuss, or hate their assistants. Not all asians are ninja theives. And not all barmaids have big boobs :D There was no representation, it was just characters.
I never said that there wasn't Black people like that. Just that most of them aren't and it's a silly stereotype. Also, giving him dialogue like that is a slander to Black people as he was the only one who used it in the game. So it wasn't like they were just using it, because the slang was popular at the time. It was mainly that that I had a problem with everything was okay.

rubah
02-03-2006, 12:40 AM
The thing about stereotypes is that there really are people who fit them.

RaidenWeb17
02-03-2006, 01:49 AM
Cid isn't old; he's 32. I know plenty of elderly (70+) people that have their heads in the clouds, smoke constantly, swear and hate everyone.
I hope I am like that when I get older

Death Penalty
02-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Obviosly you've never met me and Shadows dad.

Prancing Mad
02-03-2006, 10:33 PM
By colours I mean, of course, different skin pigmentations. I think it would be good if they mixed things up a bit. I'm a middle-class 20 year old white dude, and even I noticed that most people in FF are caucasian. I think in their attempts to make their games more realistic, they could change the skin tones a little more often than once per thousand characters.

SoulTaker*
02-03-2006, 11:48 PM
By colours I mean, of course, different skin pigmentations. I think it would be good if they mixed things up a bit. I'm a middle-class 20 year old white dude, and even I noticed that most people in FF are caucasian. I think in their attempts to make their games more realistic, they could change the skin tones a little more often than once per thousand characters.
My bad dude, I thought you were implying that black people dont have different skin pigmentations, your right though, its getting better in terms of more pigmented characters, X has alot of different pigmented characters.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Don't listen to Talib Kweli.This is actually pretty bad advice.

-N-
02-04-2006, 01:20 AM
It was a reference to "Brown Skin Lady". :\
Mos Def is the better Black Star, anyways.

Shiny
02-04-2006, 03:30 AM
I agree! Mos Def is an example of a positive image for Blacks.

Death Penalty
02-04-2006, 03:31 AM
Mos Def sucks compared to Kweli. Black star my ass. Talib doesnt star in /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifty movies.:p

DJZen
02-04-2006, 03:36 AM
Caveat: this is a joke

You can't call 'em Asian, that's racist. There is no Asia in the Final Fantasy worlds, so by likening them to Asians, all you're doing is saying "well Asian people do THIS, so this guy MUST be Asian", when the character isn't even from Earth at all. Square seems to be going with the name Hume for the humanoid race of the Final Fantasy games, differentiating them from Humans, so they don't correspond to Human ethnicities at all.

LunarWeaver
02-04-2006, 04:06 AM
Once the creator of Survivor was asked why there are so many white people and so few black people on his show. He said he never thought about it, that the majority in America are white and that's where the contestents come from so it reflects the majority. Then he said that he's from England, so the whole politically correct and "Everyone's a racist because of something" isn't implanted in his head.

I think this is the same way. We're all taking this in a North America perspective where stand up comedians have made everything about black/white and how different we are. The Final Fantasy team would probably laugh at the idea of being racist.

Besides, there isn't ANY gay characters in any Final Fantasy period (call Tidus gay all you want but he still laid the moves down on Yuna. I'll give Kefka and Kuja a definite probably but that's all). But you don't see me storming the Square offices and making a gay parade out of how homophobic they all are....That's because they aren't thinking of it that way, they're just making games. I see people and just see people, I never think about it this much.

Besides, the Final Fantasy worlds are made up. There is no Africa and Asia and America. Barret is Midgarian and Wakka is Besaidian and Kiros is Galbadian and Raijin is Yaknowian and so on :laughing:

Markus. D
02-04-2006, 06:14 AM
the minorities are say... in differant races.

For example, in FFVIII, you have your: Human, Shumi etc....

and another example is that FFXI is split up into differant races aswell.

ussually in FF the same race of people live in equality.

instead of being judged by colour, they are judged by form.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Besides, there isn't ANY gay characters in any Final Fantasy period (call Tidus gay all you want but he still laid the moves down on Yuna. I'll give Kefka and Kuja a definite probably but that's all). But you don't see me storming the Square offices and making a gay parade out of how homophobic they all are....That's because they aren't thinking of it that way, they're just making games. I see people and just see people, I never think about it this much.There are like ten gay characters in FFVII.

Death Penalty
02-04-2006, 08:20 AM
There are like ten gay characters in FFVII.
Lies all lies. Its pure blasphemy.
If you cant tell I just got a word of the day chart.:cool:

Nick Schovitz
02-04-2006, 04:09 PM

Come on it's not true what makes them look different is their faces, really you're worried to much about color and hispanics and blacks do have different shades just like asians, such as the Indians, Malayasians, and Mongolians. I did heard that they made Barret a stereotype in FFVII Advent Children.

Hikaro Takayama
02-04-2006, 04:51 PM
I've never seen an asian with freckles (but I won't discount the possibility).

I have... Japanase people, particularly those from the more Northern Provinces, are very fair skinned, and I've met some people from Saitama who had freckles....

Also about FF, it all depends on the game... There were plenty of Arabic/Inidic looking people in FF X, which, overall, had a generally Mid-Easter/Indian feel to it.... You could even liken the conflict between the Yevon and the Al-Bhed to the Arab/Israeli conflict (i.e. a large group of technologically backwards nations versus a small, technologically advanced one). Of course, most of the charachters fit Asian archaetypes, since, due to the fact that the creators are Japanese, that's the kind of people they know the most about (although there is a fairly large French sector and other gaijin population centers developing in Tokyo, so that may change, eventually). It's kind of interesting about this debate, becasue when I write a story or book, I try to give as accurate a representation of the people in the area as I can. For example, in this one Sci-fi series that I'm working on that's set 200 years in the future, the US population is mostly of racially mixed people, with the average skin tone being a medium brown, and all sorts of hair and eye colors. In addition, there's a large hispanic population (to kind of carry over current population trends), and even the president (who is actually the US representative to the Terran Union sentate, since the Union covers both the Solar and Alpha Centauri systems) is hispanic (his name is Henry Garcia).

Nick Schovitz
02-04-2006, 06:03 PM
I didn't see any indians but I saw some people who related to Native Americans such as Baralai.

DJZen
02-05-2006, 03:21 AM
It's difficult for pixels to have races.

DeathKnight
02-05-2006, 10:27 PM
It's difficult for pixels to have races.

But it sure is easy to make every FF main character blonde

"japanese people kiss white people's ass too much":choc2:

Death Penalty
02-06-2006, 12:54 AM
But it sure is easy to make every FF main character blonde

"japanese people kiss white people's ass too much":choc2:
That is quite possibly the most rascist thing I have ever heard about FF. Kudos to you new white supremasisi. Would you like some cheese.:)

DeathKnight
02-06-2006, 06:54 PM
That is quite possibly the most rascist thing I have ever heard about FF. Kudos to you new white supremasisi. Would you like some cheese.:)

uuuuh sure, anyway, I'm not blind is more like it. UNLIKE some peoples *cough*:choc2:

RaidenWeb17
02-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Yes Death Knight you probably should have left that comment out. If Japan heard you say that, they would make you do some kissing to their areas

Death Penalty
02-07-2006, 01:32 AM
uuuuh sure, anyway, I'm not blind is more like it. UNLIKE some peoples *cough*:choc2:
Her comes world war 3. Oh the reason I offered you cheese is because its been said if you give the meanest white man chese they will turn into Mr Rogers.
I am not blind. I just wear glasses for reading.

RaidenWeb17
02-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Mr. Rogers was an ex-marine with a kill count of 25. I am telling the truth about this one. It was used in a sermon thing at my church and explains why he became a preist after the marines.

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
02-08-2006, 02:59 AM
I seriously think before FFVII, which was the first game to obviously have a person of color, it was because of graphic limits. Someone mentioned FF1 but if you get into the actual data of the game, each character is limited to 3 colors, and for some characters, white just wouldn't fit into the scheme, and black inferred a blank space you could see through, plus the entire background in fights was black, so the guy would be invisible. So honestly, I believe part of it is graphic restriction
THE JACKAL

THE JACKAL

Wrong, NES handles four palletes, one is devoted to the background and is chroma-d out. And the other three are devoted to the sprites... It is indeed possible to give the THIEF and Bl.BELT lighter-toned skin, if you edit the palletes it is indeed possible... (also overworld sprites are all the same skin tone)... and the Bl.MAGE was intended to look black... but during the menu it's blue... few people notice that...

DeathKnight
02-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Yes Death Knight you probably should have left that comment out. If Japan heard you say that, they would make you do some kissing to their areas

nah, they're not aggressive people, they'd be like :D "we'll try and add some latinos, blacks, and other races into future FFs, we'll do all we can":D they're always smiling and are very cool.:choc2: well at least most of 'em.

Awesomeman
02-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Death Knight, you are being racist.

Now, for everyone who is going on about the creators of FF being racist, its simple: english voice-overs. The Japanese didn't have Barret and Wakka act like that in their version, the english writers did. They made Barret act like a gangster and had Wakka spueing out words like "bradda".

TheAbominatrix
02-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Mr. Rogers was an ex-marine with a kill count of 25. I am telling the truth about this one. It was used in a sermon thing at my church and explains why he became a preist after the marines.

That's an urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp

02-09-2006, 02:01 AM

Now, for everyone who is going on about the creators of FF being racist, its simple: english voice-overs. The Japanese didn't have Barret and Wakka act like that in their version, the english writers did. They made Barret act like a gangster and had Wakka spueing out words like "bradda".

That is indeed true... like how Guy talked in simple sentences without prounouns...

DeathKnight
02-09-2006, 02:03 AM

racist??? uuuuuuuuuuuh...more like stating facts???:moomba: most FF male protagonists were blonde. Especially since the PS1 days where they could REALLY make 'em blonde.:choc2: really fucked up if you ask me.

Death Penalty
02-09-2006, 05:58 AM
That is rascist DeathKnight. Dun call it a fact if its not a fact. Can I get some real evidence of this 'ass kissing'.

02-09-2006, 07:01 AM
GOd... could everybody stop this whole "racist" buisness...

Death Penalty
02-09-2006, 07:56 AM
Do you mean stop calling him rascist or stop being rascist.

02-16-2006, 11:04 AM
No, that just because someone says something or makes a minority joke he's suddenly racist... like: Blacks can make fun of Whites but Whites can't make fun of blacks...

That is fucking racism too, even if it's being the majority

DeathKnight
02-17-2006, 12:17 AM
No, that just because someone says something or makes a minority joke he's suddenly racist... like: Blacks can make fun of Whites but Whites can't make fun of blacks...

That is smurfing racism too, even if it's being the majority

I NEVER called japanese people racist, all I stated were facts. Most FF characters since FF VII are blonde and WHITE and now again with XII it continues................Hell if they made them with black hair and japanese looking I'd shut up right away since the games are made by japanese people...............but wow they really want the money and go so low with it that they HAVE to make every FF character blonde and WHITE. (Let it be known, my post is MOSTLY facts with opinion)

PS: Oh right, you're banned...oh well

Shiny
02-17-2006, 01:57 AM
racist??? uuuuuuuuuuuh...more like stating facts???:moomba: most FF male protagonists were blonde. Especially since the PS1 days where they could REALLY make 'em blonde.:choc2: really smurfed up if you ask me.
This is true. Most of them are blond. And have white (peach whateva)skin. I think what DeathKnight is trying to say is that Japanese people aren't racist, Square Enix is just fitting into the mold of rpgs to make all their human characters Caucasion. Honestly if you look at the whitening products and advertisments most of the people are white actors/models. Some of them idolize Caucasions because they look so different from Asians. Which leaves me to wonder why they don't have extreme opposites like Blacks or Latinos.

DeathKnight
02-18-2006, 07:18 PM
This is true. Most of them are blond. And have white (peach whateva)skin. I think what DeathKnight is trying to say is that Japanese people aren't racist, Square Enix is just fitting into the mold of rpgs to make all their human characters Caucasion. Honestly if you look at the whitening products and advertisments most of the people are white actors/models. Some of them idolize Caucasions because they look so different from Asians. Which leaves me to wonder why they don't have extreme opposites like Blacks or Latinos.

This summarizes all I've been trying to say, good to see that there are people who look at things from other people's eyes and know how they feel 'bout things.

:moomba:

Momiji
02-19-2006, 01:33 AM
I've never seen an asian with freckles (but I won't discount the possibility).

I have. My cousin is Asian...well, half-Asian, (I'm from the Caucasian side of the family) and he has freckles.

But as FF goes, it's just a game, I don't see diversity as being a big deal.

DeathKnight
02-19-2006, 03:44 PM
I have. My cousin is Asian...well, half-Asian, (I'm from the Caucasian side of the family) and he has freckles.

But as FF goes, it's just a game, I don't see diversity as being a big deal.

It's more than a game, it's art.

DMKA
02-19-2006, 05:06 PM
In the early ones nearly everyone had the same skintone, understandably..

In VII there was Barret and alot of NPCs that weren't white-ish..

In VIII there was Rajin and Kiros..

In IX hardly anyone looked human anyway...

In X there was Wakka, and alot of non-humans again, and ALOT of NPCs of various colors...

In X-2, same, and there was Buddy...

In IX, X, X-2, XI and XII there's so many mythical races..

And in all of them it's set in a mythical world, not earth...therefore I don't see how it even matters.

DeathKnight
02-19-2006, 05:33 PM
In the early ones nearly everyone had the same skintone, understandably..

In VII there was Barret and alot of NPCs that weren't white-ish..

In VIII there was Rajin..

In IX hardly anyone looked human anyway...

In X there was Wakka, and alot of non-humans again, and ALOT of NPCs of various colors...

In X-2, same, and there was Buddy...

In IX, X, X-2, XI and XII there's so many mythical races..

And in all of them it's set in a mythical world, not earth...therefore I don't see how it even matters.

ok, so all the other characters besides the main characters have similarities with other races but what 'bout the main MALE character??? It's always this blondy caucasian guy. In XII they've crossed the line, it's almost boring, hell we ALL know that the guy with the gun(insert name) would argueably be the better main character.

Death Penalty
02-19-2006, 11:42 PM
Dont judge a book by iots cover

SoulTaker*
02-20-2006, 12:40 AM
ok, so all the other characters besides the main characters have similarities with other races but what 'bout the main MALE character??? It's always this blondy caucasian guy. In XII they've crossed the line, it's almost boring, hell we ALL know that the guy with the gun(insert name) would argueably be the better main character.
He does got sort of a point, I dont care what race the main character is but except for Squall all the main characters of the later generation have been blonde haired and blue eyed. How about black hair green eyes or brown hair hazel eyes, Final fantasy needs to start diversifying its lead male characters.

TheAbominatrix
02-20-2006, 12:42 AM
While many of them have had blonde hair, they've all been very different people. They have different personalities, stories, and attitude. That's the important part.

Shadow The Red XIII Thing
02-20-2006, 02:20 AM
He does got sort of a point, I dont care what race the main character is but except for Squall all the main characters of the later generation have been blonde haired and blue eyed. How about black hair green eyes or brown hair hazel eyes, Final fantasy needs to start diversifying its lead male characters.
And while I some diversity would be nice, its not everything. The only time I cared about race in FFs was when I was arguing with this kid over if Red XIII was black or not.

Shiny
02-20-2006, 04:04 AM
How about not Caucasion and male for once?:laugh:

TheAbominatrix
02-20-2006, 04:28 AM
Well we had Yuna and Terra as female main characters... but I think they'll stick to males in general, as the majority of gamers are guys (and yes, I am a female).

Shiny
02-20-2006, 04:31 AM
Well we had Yuna and Terra as female main characters... but I think they'll stick to males in general, as the majority of gamers are guys (and yes, I am a female).
This is true unfortuanetly. :( But I don't think it's the majority anymore. It's pretty much half and half. Some girls just don't admit they do, but they do.

DK
02-20-2006, 04:49 AM
The reason why the main characters usually have blonde hair is probably because it's something that stands out to the Japanese. I don't know this with any great certainty, it's just something I saw on a site once a long time ago, but as someone already mentioned, Dark hair and eyes are a physical trait of pretty much every Asian person. Therefore, i'm guessing for their heroes, to stand out and be defined as someone who is not just an average person, they give them the blonde hair and green eyes to point this out, for example when the Saiyan's transform in Dragon Ball Z, they get golden hair and green eyes. It was something along those lines, anyway. I know there is some sort of fixation with blonde hair over there, with Gaijin girls or whatever they're called with the bleaching and dying.

Anyway, I see nothing wrong with the casts of these games, these are just the people that inhabit this certain world. How exactly do you propose to get a latino character for instance into a game and then portray them as latino without coming across as stereotyped and cliche? I don't see why it matters what colour or creed a character in a game is, or why they should have members of all races if it doesn't apply to it. If you were making a film/game set in the arctic, you wouldn't stick an african elephant into the film/game just to represent Africa/Elephants.

TheAbominatrix
02-20-2006, 04:56 AM
Harajiku girls. Gaijin is just a term for foreigners.

And well said as usual, my dearest Kyono <3

Shadow The Red XIII Thing
02-20-2006, 05:08 AM
The reason why the main characters usually have blonde hair is probably because it's something that stands out to the Japanese. I don't know this with any great certainty, it's just something I saw on a site once a long time ago, but as someone already mentioned, Dark hair and eyes are a physical trait of pretty much every Asian person. Therefore, i'm guessing for their heroes, to stand out and be defined as someone who is not just an average person, they give them the blonde hair and green eyes to point this out, for example when the Saiyan's transform in Dragon Ball Z, they get golden hair and green eyes. It was something along those lines, anyway. I know there is some sort of fixation with blonde hair over there, with Gaijin girls or whatever they're called with the bleaching and dying.

Anyway, I see nothing wrong with the casts of these games, these are just the people that inhabit this certain world. How exactly do you propose to get a latino character for instance into a game and then portray them as latino without coming across as stereotyped and cliche? I don't see why it matters what colour or creed a character in a game is, or why they should have members of all races if it doesn't apply to it. If you were making a film/game set in the arctic, you wouldn't stick an african elephant into the film/game just to represent Africa/Elephants.
He said it all.

DK
02-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Harajiku girls. Gaijin is just a term for foreigners.

And well said as usual, my dearest Kyono <3

Yar, those ones.

Thanks, sexy. <333333;D;D;D;D:D:D;d;;d:;d:;d:;D:;d:;d;D;;D

Sorry I'm not quite sure what came over me there.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Harajuku (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harajuku), actually.