PDA

View Full Version : Da Vinci code

fantasyjunkie
02-02-2006, 07:39 AM
I'm hearing Da Vinci code this and Da Vinci Code that. Can someome please tell me what this code is or is it just a bit of fiction someone made up? Thanks!

Lychon
02-02-2006, 08:20 AM
I'm hearing Da Vinci code this and Da Vinci Code that. Can someome please tell me what this code is or is it just a bit of fiction someone made up? Thanks!

It is a novel which incorporates dubious historical accounts of Christianity and suspenseful developments in modern times regarding these accounts. It is written with numerous references to cryptology, ancient scripture such as the Apocrypha (writings not included in the "official" Biblical Cannon), and religious organizations which come together in the novel as part of an underlying conspiracy about the bloodline of Jesus Christ.

You've probably heard that the novel centers on the question of whether or not Jesus was married to Saint Mary Magdalene, and fathered children with her that formed the base of a holy bloodline which is supposedly affiliated with a secret society known as the Priory of Sion (or the Ordre de Sion, although it is unclear whether these are the same society or two different ones). Leonardo Da Vinci was said to be a "grandmaster" of this society and used his talent for painting to encode secret messages and images about the idea of the bloodline. Leonardo Da Vinci really does not play a main historical reference in the novel. The main reference is his painting the "Last Supper," in which the author Dan Brown asserts that the figure next to Jesus Christ is in fact his wife, Mary Magdalene. This has not been proven, but then again, it has not been disproven which makes the novel even more exciting.

Here is a picture of that painting- Jesus is the central figure with the red and blue garments, and the person to the left of Jesus (as you're looking at the painting, not from Jesus's perspective) is the supposed Mary Magdalene instead of the traditional apostle John, as traditionally believed:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/975/11milanlastsupper3oo.th.jpg (http://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?image=11milanlastsupper3oo.jpg)

The Catholic Church and other religious groups (such as the Catholic society Opus Dei, which is featured prominently in the novel) have responded with great displeasure against the novel, since it challenges established Christian beliefs to their very core. The question of what is fact and what is not when it comes to religion is very difficult to decide. There is historical evidence, however, for the Priory of Sion, and various other groups (such as the Knights Templar, Freemasons, Rosicrucians, etc...) which have been linked to the bloodline conspiracy.

I've read it and believe it is written well, with great suspense and mystery elements that come together with one of the most controversial topics in present time to obviously create a bestseller. If you can't seem to find time and read it, then perhaps you'll enjoy the movie version of the book which is coming out this year on May 19th. Overall, IMO it's not War and Peace or Great Expectations, but it's still good reading.

I'm kind of a fan of this whole topic, ever since I played the computer game Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned, which deals with the same consipracy (great game, play it if you like this kind of mystery). There is also a second fictional book in the works that I've heard of which deals with the same subject, and that is announced for 2008.

-Alex

Miriel
02-02-2006, 08:31 AM
It's an extremely poorly written book that someone from Fanfiction.net could have written.

jrgen
02-02-2006, 11:28 AM
It is based on actual theories, but he makes some really farfetched connections between them.

Madame Adequate
02-02-2006, 12:33 PM
It's an extremely poorly written book that someone from Fanfiction.net could have written.

Though I'm very glad I'm not the only person who thinks that, this (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/245417/1/) is one of the best things I have ever read, and it's on fanfiction.net

'Course I probably only love it because I love X-Com, but I think he's done the world an exceptional amount of justice.

Helps that his pen name is my surname, too. xD

Zante
02-02-2006, 12:46 PM

Guess thats a matter of preference, I enjoyed it verry much.

Resha
02-02-2006, 01:23 PM
It's an okay book; highly overrated, to be sure, and the ending is crap. That kind of lets the whole book down; if the ending is rubbish, then it reflects badly on the whole book. I also think that maybe Dan Brown is a leetle too sceptical of things. It's a good book to read once or twice, but hardly worth the big media blow-out it gets.

Cz
02-02-2006, 05:12 PM
It's a decent novel, even though the plot is rather flawed. The simplicity of the book makes it good light reading, although I doubt it would stand up to repeated reads considering how reliant it is on mystery and suspense. It's no work of art, but not bad nevertheless.

Death Penalty
02-02-2006, 06:31 PM
It was okay.

fantasyjunkie
02-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the info! :)

Maxico
02-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Three words.

Airport page turner.

Del Murder
02-03-2006, 04:49 AM
The subject matter was interesting but the plot was horrible and the characters were bland.

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Oh look! A clue that a sixth grader could solve! Lets spend eight chapters discussing it and solving it! But first lets look into a boring subplot that eventually goes absolutly nowhere! Okay we solved the clue, lets spend another ten chapters solving the next one! OH! Weak, unsurprising plot twist! Lets solve another clue! Okay we solved it end of story! Here's a stupid ending!

And that's pretty much it.

Miriel
02-03-2006, 05:43 AM
This is the first book that I've ever wanted to physically hurt. So around the last chapter when I got so fed up with it, I flung the book as hard as I could against the wall.

Die book, die!

Chemical
02-03-2006, 06:00 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?p=1358818&highlight=Da+Vinci+Code#post1358818

The Man
02-03-2006, 06:05 AM
The subject matter was interesting but the plot was horrible and the characters were bland.Quoted for truth. You'd probably get a lot more information by reading the books he mentions in whatever chapter, but I've read a couple of them and they're incredibly dense reading.

Of course, I pretty much stopped caring about religion entirely about two years ago, so I probably wouldn't really enjoy even that so much if I reread it.

Miriel
02-03-2006, 06:14 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?p=1358818&highlight=Da+Vinci+Code#post1358818
Ahahaha.

Chapter 57: eestlinc drinks a soda

eestlinc bought a soda and drank it. When he was done, he saw something that made him jump.

The can fell to the ground.

Chapter 58: Miriel and Raistlin in the mystery cave

'Did you hear that?' said Miriel

'No,' said Raistlin.

'Ok.'

'Where do we go now?'

'Let's look over there,' replied Miriel, brushing some of her golden locks away from her eyes.

'WAIT WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?'

Raistlin's flashlight fell to the ground.

Chapter 59: In which the background of the soda can is recanted
:D

Del Murder
02-03-2006, 06:33 AM
Chapter 60: Code-a Cola

'Look, there's some writing on the can,' said The Man as he gazed upon it gazingly.

'What do you think it is doc?'

'Hm,' said Dr Unne, 'look at this symbol here:

EXP 051206

This is obviously a code of some sort. Maybe a combination of some sort.'

'Perhaps it will lead us to the lost artifact of Jesus!' said the bumbling and unassuming guy that isn't explained much but obviously has a sinister side and what do you know he ends up being behind it all.

'First I must decipher this code. Let me try taking the square root of the number, then multiplying it by it's natural log, followed by the sum of it's digits, and lets make that into a series which we will extrapolate to the tenth term and then add those to the total of hits gotten by the 1963 Red Sox, followed by the number of strands of hair on Jesus's head in this painting that I happened to bring along, and divide it all by the phone number of this secret society I belong to...'

Odaisé Gaelach
02-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Angels and Deamons was better.

fantasyjunkie
02-05-2006, 10:01 AM

'Look, there's some writing on the can,' said The Man as he gazed upon it gazingly.

EXP 051206

'Perhaps it will lead us to the lost artifact of Jesus!' said the bumbling and unassuming guy that isn't explained much but obviously has a sinister side and what do you know he ends up being behind it all.

'First I must decipher this code. Let me try taking the square root of the number, then multiplying it by it's natural log, followed by the sum of it's digits, and lets make that into a series which we will extrapolate to the tenth term and then add those to the total of hits gotten by the 1963 Red Sox, followed by the number of strands of hair on Jesus's head in this painting that I happened to bring along, and divide it all by the phone number of this secret society I belong to...'
ROFL!! LMAO!!! :D :D :D :D

yuno
02-07-2006, 08:51 AM
best-sellers wouldnt be best-sellers if they werent that great.i found the book cool.but i found angels and demons MUCH better.

Miriel
02-07-2006, 09:22 AM
best-sellers wouldnt be best-sellers if they werent that great.i found the book cool.but i found angels and demons MUCH better.
Now that's just not true.

escobert
02-07-2006, 09:31 AM

EXP 051206

WELL??? what does it all mean!? I can't sleep without knowing!

yuno
02-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Now that's just not true.
which part of it is not true?

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-07-2006, 05:15 PM
The fact that if it's a best-seller, then it must be good. That's like saying that the top ten boxoffice movies are always good, quality movies. It's just not true.

Twisted Tinkerbell
02-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Personally I didn't like it, I found it boring. And about the films thing two words Wedding Crashers, that film sucked ass!

Zante
02-07-2006, 06:10 PM
The fact that if it's a best-seller, then it must be good. That's like saying that the top ten boxoffice movies are always good, quality movies. It's just not true.
Actualy, it is. If the majority of people like a book or movie, then it is safe to say that its good, even if I personaly didnt like it.

Lychon
02-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Actualy, it is. If the majority of people like a book or movie, then it is safe to say that its good, even if I personaly didnt like it.

"Actually," it isn't. Whether a book or movie is good or not good is ALWAYS opinion, even when it comes to the classics. A lot of other factors influence the success of a film or book, such as marketing, subject, time of release, word of mouth, etc... For example, the movie Wild Wild West was PHENOMENAL at the box office, but MOST people hated it. This disproves your idea of a movie or book necessarily being good if many people like it or if it is successful.

This is probably also true for Final Fantasy VII and VIII. Since VII came out first, many people prefer it to VIII, but it is VIII that is the better game overall. :D

yuno
02-07-2006, 06:38 PM
"Actually," it isn't. Whether a book or movie is good or not good is ALWAYS opinion
yes,of course,but best-sellers and box-office hits use EXPERT opinion (ie film critics,book reviewers,etc) and opinion of the PUBLIC that is positive.im not saying that everyone will like them,and im not saying they are perfect,but to some extent,they have to be good in the opinion of the critics and the public.

Lychon
02-07-2006, 06:46 PM
EXPERT opinion is still opinion, and many times they contradict each other. Many blockbusters have recieved horrible reception by reviewers and film critics, but the public has loved them. And the idea that because they are successful means they HAVE to be good does not make any sense to me- this is an opinion and if you can prove it then it will be fact. But until then, a movie which is successful or even well-recieved does not denote that it is definitely GOOD, because the idea of what is good and what is not good is opinion.

E.g.: I think Star Wars is GOOD, but other people hate it.

Zante
02-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Hm, you do have a point. But then if it all is only a matter of opinion, why discuss it at all? :)

An example to what I was triing to say. Take the Mona Lisa. I personaly see nothing special about the paitning and I believe any decent painter could paint it. But people all round the word price it as a masterpiece, so im not going to disagree. Same with movies. If a lot of people are seeing them, it means that the creators did something right imho.

yuno
02-07-2006, 07:28 PM
but for a book to be a best-seller,shouldnt it be regarded by the majority as "good"?that's what statistics are for.the general rating of the book becomes the facts,since everyone may have different opinions.whether the book is good or not,the people base on statistical facts.it's like tv ratings.shows are "great" and use statistical facts to back that statement up.

Lychon
02-07-2006, 08:08 PM
but for a book to be a best-seller,shouldnt it be regarded by the majority as "good"?that's what statistics are for.the general rating of the book becomes the facts,since everyone may have different opinions.whether the book is good or not,the people base on statistical facts.it's like tv ratings.shows are "great" and use statistical facts to back that statement up.

I don't agree and here is why. Take for example the book in question here. The Da Vinci Code is one of the biggest sellers of all-time, but the "majority," as you put it, regard it as BAD. Just look at the posts regarding the book on the first page of this thread. Most people HATE it and think it is written poorly.

If you state that something is definitely good or bad, then anyone who has an opposite opinion is wrong, and should not have that opinion. You can't have something that is factually good or bad, but also have an opinion on it. Since good and bad are opinions in of themselves, ANY reference to good or bad as descriptors of a subject is an opinion, no matter what the subject or how well it is recieved.

The Mona Lisa is the most popular painting in the world due to FACTS revolving around the life of Leonardo Da Vinci. The definition of a masterpiece is "an outstanding piece of work or art." Since the Mona Lisa is the most "out - standing" of all of Leonardo's art, it is safe to say that the painting is a masterpiece without that statement being an opinion. Ask yourself, when you think of Leonardo's art, what is the first painting that comes to mind? It is the Mona Lisa that outstands the most.

Raistlin
02-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Lychon: EoFF is hardly a definitive representation of the US or the world or whatever geographical area. :p

The Da Vinci code did sell really well and a lot of people like it. Debating about whether it's "good" or "bad" is pointless. But, if I had to go purely by quantity, I would have to say that The Da Vinci Code was a good book.

yuno
02-08-2006, 05:11 AM
EoFF is hardly a definitive representation of the US or the world or whatever geographical area.
amen...

i think i will still take my outlook from worldwide statistical fact.the opinion factor is actually the reason why statistics was born.since everyone has a different opinion,a generally accepted value of how good a book/movie is can only be taken from statistics.even in the internet,you will see how this works.in youtube,for example,the videos are rated from 1 to 5.those videos that have high ratings (ie 4.5 to 5) are generally accepted as good.this also works on song countdowns.those that make it to the top of the charts are the ones that are generally accepted as good.yes,some may not like those books/movies/songs,but their rating tells us that the general public considers them good.

Lychon
02-08-2006, 07:20 AM
amen...

i think i will still take my outlook from worldwide statistical fact.the opinion factor is actually the reason why statistics was born.since everyone has a different opinion,a generally accepted value of how good a book/movie is can only be taken from statistics.even in the internet,you will see how this works.in youtube,for example,the videos are rated from 1 to 5.those videos that have high ratings (ie 4.5 to 5) are generally accepted as good.this also works on song countdowns.those that make it to the top of the charts are the ones that are generally accepted as good.yes,some may not like those books/movies/songs,but their rating tells us that the general public considers them good.

No, statistics do not show how good or bad something is, they show what most people THOUGHT of it. And many times, an extremely successful book or movie has a very NEGATIVE general opinion. This would contradict your logic that the general opinion reflects a definite goodness or badness of a subject. The ratings do not tell whether something is good or badl it tells you what the majority of the people involved in those ratings THOUGHT of the subject in question.

And regarding the Da Vinci Code, most people on television who have spoken of it ABHOR the book, as well as a majority of internet posts. I was merely referring to the closest thing at hand, which was this thread, so I could bring the idea back on topic.

ANyways, I think we've heard about this argument ad nauseam, but I still don't see any truth or logic in what you're saying.

krissy
02-08-2006, 07:25 AM
i put it away after chapter 3 rolled around

which really was in the first two pages, wasn't it. guess i didn't really give it a chance to pick up.

yuno
02-08-2006, 08:01 AM
No, statistics do not show how good or bad something is, they show what most people THOUGHT of it. And many times, an extremely successful book or movie has a very NEGATIVE general opinion. This would contradict your logic that the general opinion reflects a definite goodness or badness of a subject. The ratings do not tell whether something is good or badl it tells you what the majority of the people involved in those ratings THOUGHT of the subject in question.
but then,where should we get the general concept of a good or bad book/movie other than statistics?as said,people do have different opinions,but the general opinion would have to say something about how good that book/movie is.and i didnt say that it is a definite goodness and that surely everyone will find it good.not everyone may like that book/movie,but the statistical facts would still speak out and say that "this book/movie is generally hailed as good," so in the general concept of what is "good",the book/movie is actually "good".

also,i havent heard of a best-seller/box-office hit that has a negative GENERAL opinion.would you please cite some examples?please and thank you.

Lychon
02-08-2006, 06:35 PM
but then,where should we get the general concept of a good or bad book/movie other than statistics?as said,people do have different opinions,but the general opinion would have to say something about how good that book/movie is.and i didnt say that it is a definite goodness and that surely everyone will find it good.not everyone may like that book/movie,but the statistical facts would still speak out and say that "this book/movie is generally hailed as good," so in the general concept of what is "good",the book/movie is actually "good".

also,i havent heard of a best-seller/box-office hit that has a negative GENERAL opinion.would you please cite some examples?please and thank you.

Now you're just backpedaling. Your original standpoint was the defense that if something is successful, as in a book or movie, it is definitely good or bad. Since this has been disproven by me, you are now changing your story to say that statistics give a general impression of the subject based on the majority opinion.

Also, I have already cited numerous examples of best-sellers and box office hits that have GENERAL NEGATIVE perceptions. Da Vinci Code has a general negative perception. Wild Wild West was a huge hit and has a GENERAL NEGATIVE PERCEPTION. MEN IN BLACK II had a big box-office record and has a GENERAL NEGATIVE PERCEPTION. WOuld you like me to keep going? Or maybe you can do some research for yourself and find out that there are hundreds of movies and books in this category; "please, and thank you." :)

People don't know if something is good or bad in their eyes until they see it. I don't go and see popular movies because they are GOOD, but because they are POPULAR, and THEN I decide for myself whether they are good or bad. A film's statistics and ratings tell you that what the majority of people thought about that film. It does not mean there is a DEFINITE GOODNESS about a film or book if the majority approve of it, as was your original notion which you are now attempting to hide.

Have a nice day.

yuno
02-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Now you're just backpedaling. Your original standpoint was the defense that if something is successful, as in a book or movie, it is definitely good or bad. Since this has been disproven by me, you are now changing your story to say that statistics give a general impression of the subject based on the majority opinion.
this was what i originally said...

best-sellers wouldnt be best-sellers if they werent that great.
please read my earlier posts.i never said they were DEFINITELY good.what i was trying to say was,best-sellers and box-office hits wouldnt be what they are if the public's general outlook on them is "bad".i was saying that the books and the movies would have to be considered by the general public as "good" for them to be best-sellers and box-office hits (which you have proven wrong in the same post,btw...^_^).

case in point:i am not trying to hide something.^_^

Wild Wild West was a huge hit and has a GENERAL NEGATIVE PERCEPTION. MEN IN BLACK II had a big box-office record and has a GENERAL NEGATIVE PERCEPTION.
i have lost this debate.^_^ i guess you are right.movies really dont need to be good to be box-office hits.i tried looking these two movies up at imdb and found a generally low rating (well,not really low,but not high enough to be considered "good" as well).mib2 has a 5.5 average rating from more than 26000 people,while wild wild west has a 4 from more than 22000.i guess that's a good enough statistic for me.

thanks for mentioning these two movies.i didnt know where to start researching before you mentioned these two.