PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty.....*cries*

SeeDRankLou
02-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Ok, so I have a Jury summons on Monday. It kind of sucks, because this Monday is the Monday after Superbowl Sunday, on which I will probably be drinking. And it's at 8am.

So, I've never been to Jury duty before. I know a lot of you guys aren't old enough, but for those who are, share your Jury duty stories so I can know what I might expect.

Levian
02-02-2006, 11:13 PM
This one time I was in a jury duty with a lot of people, and everyone agreed but one. So we fought and fought and it lasted forever, and everyone started to hate that one person who thought the person was not guilty. And he was allergic to peanutbutter, so one of the girls there tried to kill him with peanutbutter, and he died. So the police took her, but then it turns out the peanutbutter wasn't lethal. He had died from a sting from a bee. So the woman was released and everything turned out just fine.

edit: oh wait, that was an episode of CSI.

greekanimeguy
02-02-2006, 11:20 PM
omg i personally hate CSI, biggest ripoff of law and order

anyways if i were you, id be excited, i really want to be on a jury one day, it sounds like alot of fun! are you allowed to divulge what its about?

btw if you really dont want to do it, when they question you, say youve already heard about the case, that way they will think you have a biased opnion

Yamaneko
02-02-2006, 11:25 PM
I was supposed to go two times, but I never did. I'm not a very good citizen.

Anaisa
02-03-2006, 12:35 AM
Ive never done jury service, an probably will never be asked to with my reputation. But my dad's done it, an he says it was good, because they paid him good money, an the food was nice.

RSL
02-03-2006, 12:36 AM
I have yet to be called for jury duty. I registered to vote last fall, I expect that I will eventually have to do this.

herbie08
02-03-2006, 12:44 AM
I have very little respect for the court system. I don't know exactly what questions they ask you, but I'm pretty sure if they pick up on the fact that you're going to be somewhat difficult to the case, they usually will chose someone else over you. If they ever do choose me though, they're in for one huge pain in the ass.

eestlinc
02-03-2006, 12:47 AM
I had jury duty in December. I got assigned to a case but the defendent changed his plea to guilty right before trial so we didn't have to actually serve. I'd rather sit on a jury for a week than go to work, though.

SammieBabe
02-03-2006, 12:53 AM
I got it right after I turned 18. We had to sit a an auditorium and they assigned us a number. When they called your number, you go for the interviews with the lawyers in the courtrooms. Until they call your number, its pretty boring. Bring a book or something. Then the lawyers ask you a bunch of questions and decide if they want you on the jury.
I actually got picked for my trial and had to go for the next three days after that. You get paid like minimum wage or something... It sucks, but that's civic duty for ya...:rolleyes2

Leeza
02-03-2006, 01:36 AM
I got called once, but I told them something along the lines that it was freaking me out to be on the jury of a murder case so they said that was good enough to get me off. Besides which, I had a daughter to look after and that also gets you off of having to do jury duty.

edczxcvbnm
02-03-2006, 07:15 AM
I went in for jury duty late at like...9:30. Then they let us go at 11:30 because it was Friday and they were not going to start any new cases. I took my check and left.

Jury Duty rocked!

Samuraid
02-03-2006, 07:42 AM
I've had jury duty twice, but never got called in for a trial.

About the best you can do is bring a good book/laptop to pass the time while you sit around for most of the day.

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-03-2006, 08:29 AM
Maybe Pauly Shore will be there!

http://imgsrv.madmaxmorningshow.com/image/DbGraphic/200508/139778.jpg
Hey buuuuuuuuuuddy!

Psychotic
02-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Getting out of jury duty is easy. The trick is to say you're prejudiced against all races.

The Simpsons has a quote for every occasion.

-N-
02-03-2006, 11:31 PM
i totally saw that csi episode and i've seen like three

Lindy
02-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Remember to try and date the defendant, sleep with the lawyers and discuss the case on your internet journal and/or with members of the journalistic establishment.

Oh and always accept brown envelopes from men in suits.