PDA

View Full Version : Cities & College Information

Chemical
02-03-2006, 05:56 AM
I've been given the opportunity to attend the following schools in America so I'm doing some research into the area to help me narrow down my choices. Please only information about the states listed.

I'm looking for imformation concerning the following cities and schools.
General information would be nice:

Galleres, Museums, etc.
Cool Places
Approximate Rent.
General Description.
About the School, if possible

THE SCHOOLS

Cincinnati, Ohio Art Academy of Cincinnati
Cleaveland, Ohio Cleveland Institute of Art
Colombus, Ohio Columbus College of Art & Design

Boston, Massachusetts Art Institute of Boston
Beverly, Massachusetts Montserrat College of Art
Boston, Massachusetts School of the Museum of Fine Arts
Boston, Massachusetts Massachusetts College of Art

Memphis, Tennessee Memphis College of Art

Milwaukee, Wisconsin Millwaukee Institute of Art & Design

Minneapolis, Minnesota Minneapolis College of Art & Design

Atlant, Georgia Atlanta College of Art

Oakland, California California College of the Arts
Laguna, California Laguna College of Art & Design
Los Angeles, California Otis College of Art & Design
San Francisco, California San Francisco Art Institute

Detroit, Michigan College for Creative Studies

Old Lyme, Connecticut Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts

Portland, Maine Maine College of Art

Washington, DC Corcoran College of Art & Design

Kansas City, Missouri Kansas City Art Institute

Baltimore, Maryland Maryland Institute, College of Art

Philidelphia, Pennsylvania Moore College of Art & Design
Philidelphia, Pennsylvania Pennsylvania Academt of Fine Arts
Philidelphia, Pennsylvania University of the Arts

Sarasota, Florida Ringling School of Art & Design

Portland, Oregon Oregon College of Art & Craft
Portland, Oregon Pacific Northwest College of Art

There's a couple of International ones as well:

Dundee, Scotland Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art
Glasgow, Scotland Glasgow School of Art
Winchester, England Winchester School of Art
BC, Canada Emily Carr Institute of Art & Design

The Man
02-03-2006, 06:00 AM
I used to live in Sarasota; my family still does. It's a nice town. Cost of living's pretty high though.

Can't really help you with any of the other information though, sorry. Although I do know that the Ringling School has quite a fabulous reputation.

Miriel
02-03-2006, 06:08 AM
Oakland, California California College of the Arts

That's where all the ganstas are. Haven't heard much else about Oakland except that a lot of drag racing goes on there. I've never even heard of the school.

Laguna, California Laguna College of Art & Design

Laguna as in Laguna Beach? Rich white (snobby?) folk area. Beautiful though. Seriously one of the most gorgeous areas in California. Never heard of the school.

Los Angeles, California Otis College of Art & Design
I've heard good things about Otis and Los Angeles isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. There's always stuff happening and there's so much to do in the city. There's always the Getty (which always has new art shows going on) and tons of concerts are always coming in nd out of the city. But! I haven't heard nearly as many good things about Otis and Los Angeles as I have of:

San Francisco, California San Francisco Art Institute
I really like San Francisco, and not just cause Delicate Murder is there. It's kinda like a better Californian version of New York. Without the extreme cold or super-speed walking natives. And from what I hear, San Francisco has about the same amount of stuff to do in the city as Los Angeles. And it's cleaner.

And my Mom went to the Art institute and she's a great artist and stuff. So yeah.

-N-
02-03-2006, 06:10 AM
The mystery of Ashley K Faith has just been solved.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Del Murder
02-03-2006, 06:12 AM
Don't go to Oakland unless you're packin.

The Man
02-03-2006, 06:14 AM
actually, yeah, I can probably give at least vague reviews of several other cities here. I'm well travelled.

I can back up the approval of San Francisco. Nice town, not polluted at all, lots of really pretty areas. I also think the political atmosphere is one of the nicest in the country, but that's probably just me and my fringe views ;)

Boston's nice. A terrible place to drive, but that's fine, because from what I remember, it has a pretty decent public transportation system, and stuff is usually close enough together that you can just walk or ride your bike anyway. Again, I also like the political climate.

I lived in Atlanta for the first five years of my life, and I've made semi-regular visits there with my family ever since. I'm partial to it, maybe just because I have pretty fond childhood memories of it, but it's a lot nicer than a lot of other large cities I've visited. The traffic sucks though, and you'll probably need to do a lot of driving because that's more or less the norm in the American South.

ehh kay, for just about any other city on that list I'd be talking out of my ass. xD

Del Murder
02-03-2006, 06:16 AM
And I'm sure there's a quite noticible difference.

The Man
02-03-2006, 06:17 AM
...http://fools-gold.org/forum/images/smilies/cussing.gif

Miriel
02-03-2006, 06:21 AM
Oh yeah, transportation.

Los Angeles has miserable traffic. Miserable. At least San Francisco has BART. Even the navigationally challenged like me can use BART and not get lost.

escobert
02-03-2006, 06:26 AM
Don't go to Oakland unless you're packin.
a lunch?

-N-
02-03-2006, 06:28 AM
A bowl, Bert. :D

I suppose I could give you information about the cities.

San Francisco is a wonderful city. The Bay Area gives beautiful weather year round. The multicultural diversity is insane - it's like all the regions of the world decided to contribute a little bit of themselves to San Francisco. If you can afford the steep housing in the city, and get accepted, then by all means, go there.

Atlanta is a wonderful city as well. Gets muggy during the summers, but it's still full of friendly folk and people who actually say hi to you. It's got a pretty neat history and there's fun stuff to do downtown. Of course, the last time I was there was about 7 years ago, (versus being in San Francisco six months ago) so this could have changed.

Del Murder
02-03-2006, 06:45 AM
I can vouch for SF. I work there, and take the train every day. The Bay Area has one of the best transit systems in the US.

Yamaneko
02-03-2006, 06:46 AM
Los Angeles, the art scene is dead here. Cool here is going to Disneyland. That's not very cool. Rent? Time to take out some loans! Traffic, fake people, disconnected, and generally jarring to the senses. You would never find me living in any of those other places, though. San Francisco is nice. Portland, OR is nice too, but the weather sucks.

Shlup
02-03-2006, 06:46 AM
Laguna has one of my favorite beaches. And it's reasonably close to LA and all other California-y areas.

Miriel
02-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Los Angeles, the art scene is dead here. Cool here is going to Disneyland. That's not very cool. Rent? Time to take out some loans! Traffic, fake people, disconnected, and generally jarring to the senses. You would never find me living in any of those other places, though. San Francisco is nice. Portland, OR is nice too, but the weather sucks.
Art scene isn't dead here. What are you talking about, man? :confused:

I'm a fine arts minor, and my professors always gave us a list of all the art related stuff going on around here. And there was plenty to do and see.

Yamaneko
02-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Compared to other major cities we fall flat on our faces. People come here to get into movies or TV.

Miriel
02-03-2006, 07:00 AM
Movies are art. :)

Yamaneko
02-03-2006, 07:04 AM
What's art?

Del Murder
02-03-2006, 07:17 AM
What isn't art?

Chemical
02-03-2006, 04:59 PM
http://www.writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/Images/duchamp-toilet.GIF

I should also mention I'll be there from January - April 2007.
So that should help narrowing down the weather.

escobert
02-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Then stay away from Boston or the North East unless you like cold and snow.

Miriel
02-03-2006, 06:36 PM
http://www.writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/Images/duchamp-toilet.GIF

I should also mention I'll be there from January - April 2007.
So that should help narrowing down the weather.
Hahahaha. :D

As for the weather, Los Angeles beats San Francisco hands down for the weather. But there's also more pollution here. If it came down to which place had the warmer, sunnier days, I'd go with LA.

bennator
02-03-2006, 07:32 PM
I grew up in cleveland. I think it's a kind of depressing city, always grey, decayed downtown. Then again, I'm biased, because I grew up there. Cleveland Institute of Art is however in a really cool neighboorhood, you are steps away from the gigantic (and free) Cleveland Museum of Art, Severance Hall (Home of the Cleveland Orchestra). You are also real close to the campus of Case-Western Reserve University, so you'll have a chance to mingle and hang out with students from another school. It's also near Little Italy, which is heavenly, if not fattening (oh, I'm craving it so much now...a month until I get home), and also by Coventry Village (through back to the 1960s). Feel free to PM or IM me about it if you want.

The Man
02-03-2006, 10:48 PM
by the way, if you're coming down to Sarasota, let me know; I should be there sometime in March 2007, unless my plans drastically change by then. Doesn't seem right to let an EoFFer come to town and not visit them. xD

SammieBabe
02-03-2006, 10:58 PM
I live about an hour North of Sarasota. The weather about that time of year will be better than in most of the country. While it does get cold, it never snows and we don't really have alot of ice or anything.
Sarasota the town is nice, although I will admit I haven't spent alot of time there. I know that they have a couple Museums, like the Ringling Museum and Edison's home, but other than that, I don't know much...
However I can tell you that in the St. Petersburg/Tampa area, we have tons of museums, Florida Holocaust Museum, Salvador Dali Museum, Florida International, and also great restaurants and nightlife... I'm a Concierge at a large hotel in Tampa, so I have access to gobs of info on the area itself, if you'd like more...
The school does have a great reputation too, as The Man mentioned...

EDIT: There is a kick-ass aquarium in Sarasota too. Its called the Mote Aquarium. I loved it...

DeathKnight
02-04-2006, 05:57 AM
No NY or TX??? you'll find other places boring:choc2:

Chemical
02-04-2006, 06:09 AM
I'm going to New York for the second time in about a week.

I could apply to Pratt, but frankly I don't want to live in NY. It's okay to visit, but that's it, is it, is it.

And no, Apparently Texas isn't cultured enough to have Art Schools worth going to.

PS
WTF. Serial killings of women in Massachussets.
*crosses off*

I should mention I'd preffer a low-crime rate location, especially low-murder.

Yamaneko
02-04-2006, 06:15 AM
That shouldn't be of concern if it's only for one term.