PDA

View Full Version : Okay, this sucks.

-N-
02-04-2006, 12:40 AM
I can't download files in Firefox. It crashes. I have the most recent update. I uninstalled and loaded an older update I knew was stable. Still happened. :\

Psychotic
02-04-2006, 12:43 AM
I recommend that you use Microsoft Internet Explorer (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx). It's truly an underrated little browser, and it's my personal choice.

-N-
02-04-2006, 12:57 AM
I get trojans with IE :\

The Man
02-04-2006, 12:58 AM
you could always try Opera.

however, without more information on what you were doing before Firefox started smurfing up, I can't really help you with anything other than half-assed browser suggestions. Firefox is superior anyway.

-N-
02-04-2006, 01:15 AM
Yeah, I have no idea why it started screwing it up either. I was wondering if anyone else who downloaded the update was having this issue. But I can't pinpoint it to that since when I changed back the same problem continued.

The Man
02-04-2006, 01:22 AM
The fact that downgrading didn't make the problem go away leads me to suspect that it was caused by something else, and for some reason wouldn't have had a chance to manifest itself until you upgraded. Have you installed any other programs on your computer recently?

-N-
02-04-2006, 02:06 AM
Hmm, Norton's popping up with some trojans. Ad-aware returned nothing, though.

Samuraid
02-04-2006, 02:13 AM
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=365344 ?

The Man
02-04-2006, 02:21 AM
damn, I should have thought to look on the mozilla forums. xD

rubah
02-04-2006, 02:55 AM
Now make my firefox memory usage problem go away plz~

-N-
02-04-2006, 03:01 AM
Sweet, thanks. Now to address my freezing problem again...

Samuraid
02-04-2006, 03:13 AM
Now make my firefox memory usage problem go away plz~
1.5.0.1 supposedly fixes a few storage leaks.

rubah
02-04-2006, 04:24 AM
I upgraded to it already (the new update thing was sorta scary:o didn't ask to save files or anythingx.x; I don't like it) but I've already seen it at 130mb memory used. (200mb+ on virtual memory)

Samuraid
02-04-2006, 04:37 AM
Hmm...do you have a lot of windows open by chance? I've had tons of stuff open but never seen the usage go above 80MB as far as I remember.

-N-
02-04-2006, 05:03 AM
I get Firefox using 120-180 MB if I have several (5-10) windows open. However, even if I close most of those windows Firefox still claims that RAM.

Vyk
02-04-2006, 05:41 AM
Yeah, Mozilla needs to get on the ball. FireFox has been causing me grief the past couple weeks too. They're gone for now. But it was destorying my computer. Ate up my processor while I was at work once. And took like half an hour to end task (I'm patient. Didn't feel like hard crashing).

Edit: I have the RAM problem too. Its like it calls dibs on the amount it uses total until you end a session. But I use tabs instead of windows so it's reasonable but apparently it doesn't matter. I've gotten used to closing everything out once in a while to clear things up a bit.

Samuraid
02-04-2006, 06:18 AM
Hmm...I currently have 7 windows, 9 sites, and 45 tabs open, and with all that it just hit a bit over 90MB of RAM...

EDIT: And just closed all but this window with 4 tabs and the usage went down to about 65MB.

Seems very strange that it would cause storage leaks.

EDIT2: Seems the 1.5.0.1 fixes a few known storage leaks. (I'm still running 1.5.0.0)

Yamaneko
02-04-2006, 06:23 AM
Don't use plugins. They're system hogs.

Vyk
02-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Well they need to have another update where it doesn't hog system process when it runs into something it doesn't like. I've had quite a few problems since the whole 1.5 fiasco and kinda wishing I'd go back. It used to just alert you, it's screwed up, close it. And it closes. No biggy. Trillian's the same way (my two most-used programs) crash detected, close out. No big deal. But now FireFox will quit responding, sometimes momentarily, sometimes I have to end it's task. And it completely slows down my computer. Whatever changes they made in 1.5 need to be reinforced with the previous stability xD

rubah
02-04-2006, 06:04 PM
firefox 1.07 didn't have it nearly as badly, but I refuse to go back to using that because you can't reorder tabs and you have to go and activate areas before you can scroll through them (like PM reply textboxes) instead of just hovering over.

Like vyk, I just get in the habit of leaving it closed over night and alt+f4'ing when other programs reflect the used memory.

I don't hardly ever browse with more than two windows (right now it's just one, with two tabs) but the usage still goes up like a mutha.

It's been open for less than an hour, and it's up to 93mb/81mb for mem and virtual mem.
Just two eoff tabs open :]

[edit-- forty-five minutes later, 140mb/128mb, there's been tabs opened and closed, but no more than would get used in usual browsing. five to seven maybe. and there's only two open now]

crono_logical
02-05-2006, 09:57 AM
1.5.0.1 supposedly fixes a few storage leaks.I'll have to test this when I get back to London :p I still use 1.0.7 and usually see usage go up to 200 MB with the amount of tabs and windows I like to keep open - around 350 MB last week :D I guess the alternative is to start bookmarking and closing stuff :p

Samuraid
02-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Actually, getting more RAM seems like the best solution. :D

crono_logical
02-05-2006, 11:06 PM
I would do, but 1 GB or more for a laptop is rather expensive :p

rubah
02-06-2006, 02:21 AM
From what I've seen, it just seems to satisfy itself on gorging on as much ram as there is available, so I get the feeling more wouldn't do the job!

bipper
02-06-2006, 02:46 AM
Get linux, use links :) You wont use much memory, I promice.

Mozzila is suffering the FOTM slide, as has been expected. Several programs (free, Open Sourcem and Comercial) hit this point eventually. Personally, with the move to free opera, I wonder what is going on in their minds.

About the origional problem, the fix proposed by Samuraid is perfect, though it sucks that it is so common (As I have pulled it of at least a dozen machines at work) and yet I have yet to see any patch to fix the issue...

Bipper

ShunNakamura
02-06-2006, 04:17 AM
I have never really noticed firefox eating much memory... then again I also don't have it opened for hours at a time unless I have a big reason. And with 2 GB of memory it would have to eat up a LOT of mem before I really noticed it.

Well been on for about an hour now with multiple tabs(very rarely do I use multiple window's).. it is using only 34MB of memory. So it can't be using that much mem for me. Then again, I don't put much stress on it, and I have noticed it can really devour the memory on certian pages... almost to the point that my computer crashes. Not fun.

crono_logical
02-07-2006, 02:10 AM
I have never really noticed firefox eating much memory... then again I also don't have it opened for hours at a time unless I have a big reason. And with 2 GB of memory it would have to eat up a LOT of mem before I really noticed it.

Well been on for about an hour now with multiple tabs(very rarely do I use multiple window's).. it is using only 34MB of memory. So it can't be using that much mem for me. Then again, I don't put much stress on it, and I have noticed it can really devour the memory on certian pages... almost to the point that my computer crashes. Not fun.Try having it open and use it for at least 2 weeks on end like I usually do :D

bipper
02-07-2006, 03:13 AM
Try having it open and use it for at least 2 weeks on end like I usually do :D

If you run Window$ isnt it concidered a sin and clearly punishable by death to leave your computer on for more than 24 hours and not expect any resource leaks? :p

bip

Vyk
02-07-2006, 03:55 AM
My computer's on 24/7 >_>;;

Right now uptime is 16 days, 7 hours, 53 minutes and whatever seconds :D

bipper
02-07-2006, 04:28 AM
Wow, neat :) Any instalation of XP pro I have can go about a week tops. I am thinking more on the IIS serving side of things of course.

Like I warned earlier, having windows on all the time is neat, but still - you admitted to sin, and I am afraid I am gonna need you to sit in this nice little chair we call 'sparky' for no reason whatsoever ;)

Bips

rubah
02-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Who said we weren't expecting memory trouble?