PDA

View Full Version : Is there any real reason Eyes on the World is a private forum rather than an archive?

The Man
02-04-2006, 12:56 AM
Just curious. Kinda was getting nostalgic and wanted to read some old threads.

Dignified Pauper
02-04-2006, 12:59 AM
i was under the impression it was completely deleted

Del Murder
02-04-2006, 12:59 AM
What forum?

The Man
02-04-2006, 01:00 AM
i was under the impression it was completely deletedno, they told us they were making it private for reference purposes or something. Maybe that's changed since then, but if so it makes me a sad panda.

What forum?The old World Events forum, silly :p (I'll just assume you were being sarcastic)

RSL
02-04-2006, 01:00 AM
It's in the garbage forum where it belongs!

The Man
02-04-2006, 01:01 AM
but I want to read some garbage. :(

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-04-2006, 01:02 AM
Archives usually represent things of which we are fond and proud. Eyes on the World was mostly a stew of negativity and hence not something we would like to hold up and say hey guys check this out good times eh.

Del Murder
02-04-2006, 01:04 AM
...nah, it's just too easy.

I like to preted that place never existed.

The Man
Archives usually represent things of which we are fond and proud. Eyes on the World was mostly a stew of negativity and hence not something we would like to hold up and say hey guys check this out good times eh.you could always indicate in the forum description that it was generally regarded as an unmitigated disaster, then. If they don't expect much, they won't judge the site negatively for its presence. xD

RSL
I'll mod you quick and you can read all you like. Let me know when you are done so I can de-mod you again.

The Man
02-04-2006, 01:05 AM
http://lastocp.com/forums/images/smilies/serios.jpg

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-04-2006, 01:06 AM
That's actually how Yamaneko got his job and then we just sorta forgot about it.

The Man
02-04-2006, 01:07 AM
The things you learn from asking questions, eh?

Raistlin
02-04-2006, 01:13 AM
Wasn't Bleys adminned so he could do one thing and then he was just never deadminned?

I know Unne was temp-adminned for like a week. By "week" Cid apparently meant "two years."

Leeza
02-04-2006, 05:02 AM
The words <i>sweep, under</i> and <i>rug</i> come to mind with EotW. You don't see it so it's best to forget about it. :cat:

The Man
02-04-2006, 05:11 AM
I'll agree that some threads in it devolved into something "bad," but just because a few of them are, you don't want members viewing any of them for nostalgia's sake? Furthermore, hiding one's past just because one regards it as a mistake seems to indicate a rather sizable lack of self-confidence to me. If nothing else, the forum could be left in public view as an example of what to avoid in serious debates.

Del Murder
02-04-2006, 05:16 AM
Which threads were you looking for, just out of curiosity?

Leeza
02-04-2006, 05:19 AM
It wasn't a mistake. It was started after 9-11 and it had it's purpose, which was supposed to be temporary, I believe. Then it slowly started to turn into a battleground.

That forum is equivalent to a train wreck where everyone will ge gawking to see blood. Best to leave it in garbage.

The Man
02-04-2006, 05:26 AM
Which threads were you looking for, just out of curiosity?Any threads The Captain, I'm my own MILF, myself, and a few other members posted in, really. I find it interesting to read old posts and see how members' viewpoints change over time.

what I'd really like to get my hands on is one of Bleys's backups from before the forums were pruned, because I'm missing all the old debate threads I saved due to a hard drive crash. Of course I know that's not likely to happen ever... although if I were given the access, I probably would be sad enough to reinsert all the old lost posts into EoFF's current database :P

It wasn't a mistake. It was started after 9-11 and it had it's purpose, which was supposed to be temporary, I believe.That forum didn't exist when I joined EoFF, and that was about six months after 9-11. But I do remember hearing that it was supposed to be temporary.

Then it slowly started to turn into a battleground.

That forum is equivalent to a train wreck where everyone will ge gawking to see blood. Best to leave it in garbage.Political threads commonly turn into battlegrounds even now that EotW has been deleted, as well. By that logic, shouldn't any argument that devolves enough to need closing be put away? Leaving the threads is commonly accepted practice because it gives members an example of what kind of posting to avoid. I fail to see why this should be any different, even if it is an entire forum.

Yamaneko
02-04-2006, 05:33 AM
Wesley sometimes asks me to look for posts in there.

The Man
02-04-2006, 05:34 AM
you have Bleys's old backup? insane. have you ever talked about reinserting it into the current database?

I suppose offering various internets favours won't net myself a copy, otherwise I'd offer them.

Yamaneko
02-04-2006, 05:34 AM
what

The Man
02-04-2006, 05:35 AM
oh, you meant Eyes on the World, not Bleys's backup. This is what sleep deprivation does to Aaron, apparently. xD

Raistlin
02-04-2006, 05:52 AM
Wesley sometimes asks me to look for posts in there.
I think I asked you for ONE thread. I don't even remember which thread it was. :p

Agent Proto
02-04-2006, 05:56 AM
Leeza has her history messed up. Eyes on The World started because we were tired of seeing threads based on world events in EoEO. And this was perhaps during the first year of the Iraq War. It was either that or something else I'm forgetting about. But I know it wasn't immediately after 9/11

The Man
02-04-2006, 05:57 AM
The Iraq war sounds right. Leeza wouldn't be the first person to confuse Iraq with 9/11 :p

Del Murder
02-04-2006, 06:07 AM
All she said was that it was started after 9-11, which it was, so she was not incorrect at all. :)

The Man
02-04-2006, 06:11 AM
It implied that 9/11 was the cause of the forum's existence though, which was an incorrect implication :p

Yamaneko
02-04-2006, 06:13 AM
Leeza is never wrong.

Leeza
02-04-2006, 06:23 AM
As far as I know (which isn't much as far as World Events go), the war in Iraq was a result of 9-11 so it's one and the same for me.

The Man
02-04-2006, 06:24 AM
Bush and company used 9/11 as a primary justification for going to war with Iraq at the time, but now it seems likely that Iraq didn't actually have anything to do with 9/11 :p

Del Murder
02-04-2006, 06:30 AM
Leeza is never wrong.
Top Ten Leeza(/RSL) Facts
Leeza's tears cure cancer. Too bad she has never cried. Ever.
Leeza does not sleep. She waits.
Leeza is currently suing NBC, claiming Law and Order are trademarked names for her left and right legs.
The chief export of Leeza is pain.
If you can see Leeza, she can see you. If you can't see Leeza, you may be only seconds away from death.
Leeza has counted to infinity. Twice.
Leeza does not hunt because the word hunting implies the probability of failure. Leeza goes killing.
Leeza's blood type is AK+. Ass-Kicking Positive. It is compatible only with heavy construction equipment, tanks, and fighter jets.
In fine print on the last page of the Guinness Book of World Records it notes that all world records are held by Leeza, and those listed in the book are simply the closest anyone else has ever gotten.
There is no chin behind RSL's beard. There is only another fist.

The Man
02-04-2006, 06:35 AM
Since this list clearly promises ten Leeza facts, and the tenth mentions RSL instead of Leeza, does this mean that Leeza and RSL are in fact the same person? zomg conspiracies

Agent Proto
02-04-2006, 06:36 AM
Leeza isn't Chuck Norris! Get your facts straight Del!

Del Murder
02-04-2006, 06:37 AM
Have you ever seen them in the same room together?

The Man
02-04-2006, 06:38 AM
Do chatrooms count?

Leeza
02-04-2006, 07:08 AM
Leeza isn't Chuck Norris! Get your facts straight Del!
I know Karate! :cat:

-N-
02-04-2006, 07:19 AM
I had two awesome posts in EotW, one which was deleted and one made by a banned third account during Banfest 2005, and I have both of those screenshot and saved, so there's no real reason for the forum to exist.

And Leeza/RSL would kick more ass if Del ripped off the Vin Diesel Fact Generator instead of the Chuck Norris one. The Vin Diesel Fact Generator was so intense I almost got banned from #eoff because of it. BoB had to remove it from the stats page because it was too intense for his scrawny ass.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-04-2006, 07:52 AM
Ten Facts About the Vin Diesel Fact Generator

Yamaneko
02-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Leeza is one of the ninjas chasing ShlupQuack.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-04-2006, 08:25 AM
She's <a href="http://www.dieselsweeties.com/shirts/tenninjas357.gif">all of them</a>, actually.

edczxcvbnm
02-04-2006, 08:50 AM
It wasn't a mistake.

Don't lie to yourself.

Psychotic
02-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Guy Fawkes (April 13, 1570–January 31, 1606), an English soldier, was a member of a group of Roman Catholic conspirators who attempted to carry out the so-called Gunpowder Plot in 1605, in an attempt to assassinate King James I of England (James VI of Scotland) and the members of both houses of the Parliament of England. To do this, the House of Lords was to be blown up during the formal opening of the 1605 session of Parliament and the House of Commons, the members seated in a joint sitting for the opening. Guy Fawkes was in large part responsible for the latter stages of the plan's execution. His activities were detected, however, before the plan's completion. Following a severe interrogation, involving the use of torture, Fawkes and his co-conspirators were executed for treason and attempted murder. His capture is still commemorated in Britain and parts of Ireland with the popular celebration known as Guy Fawkes Night.<!--Oh cool, we're allowed to mindlessly spam Feedback again? Excellent. I've had these babies saved in storage for quite some time:

SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM!!!!

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!!!!

SPAMMITY SPAM SPAM SPAMOSAURUS SPAMORAMA!!!

They're hi-tech cutting-edge spam. You guys should move out of 2005 and into 2006 with me. (We'll split the rent 60-40)-->

eestlinc
02-05-2006, 07:15 AM
the Aristocrats! *snap snap*

crono_logical
02-05-2006, 09:51 AM
*tempted to move EoTW to the archives* :kaoplain: