PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Endings: Yay or nay?

AdVincent
02-04-2006, 04:51 AM
FFX-2 had quite a lot. 5, was it? Not sure...but what do you guys think of them. Is it nice to have seeing all of them (which would mean playing through the game more then once most likely) or should we all be stuck with one ending like FF7-X was? (I'm not sure if 1-6 had them as I've barely played any of them).

Vyk
02-04-2006, 05:48 AM
To the extent of Chrono Trigger, I'd have to say nay. I hate feeling like I"m missing out. I know it's to reward people for doing more. But meh. And from the sound of it X-2 has a worse set-up. You get punished for not completing it the way they want to. If they're gonna have alternate endings. Do it like KOTOR or Fable. You get an ending that represents the way you play. Therefor the most appropriate ending for you. So you don't feel unfulfilled and cheated.

AdVincent
02-04-2006, 05:52 AM
Yeah, that's a good idea. Have only two different endings, and you will always know which one you're going for.

And instead of good or evil, we could have Girl A or Girl B, Be king of Castle A or Castle B, etc. things like that.

When you have a "perfect" ending for people that do every little thing in the game, a lot of people that don't get it feel unsatisfied

Flake
02-04-2006, 07:31 AM
I say yes.
Makes alot of replay value.

blackmage_nuke
02-04-2006, 10:18 AM
I actually liked the multiple endings in FFVI and Chrono trigger where the endings are actually relevant to how much of the game has been completed (and ct even gives you an ending if you lose), but the multiple endings in FFX2 arent that great so i'd rather have one ending than have to do every impossible little thing and replay the whole game if i miss something.

The Devourer Of Worlds
02-04-2006, 10:27 AM
I don’t see anything wrong with them, as long as they are full alternate endings as opposed to simply partial/full endings. The only problem with alternate endings that I can think of is it makes it harder to make sequels (yeah, big loss…) and it’s more difficult to work out what you can consider ‘cannon’ within the game.

Dreddz
02-04-2006, 11:01 AM
nay.....

Vyk
02-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Had to start over if you didn't get 100%? That's completely rediculous. I don't know if any other Castlevania did that, but SotN had a set-up like that. Where you could complete like 200% (two halves of the game, but you only had to complete one half, and not even at 100%). But for the most part, if you missed something, you weren't screwed. Just re-load your last save. Do more things before going to the final fight. And you didn't have to get a full 200% to get what was considered the best ending. They gave like a 10% lee-way or something. I had 198% and if I had been jipped that would have been horrible

Fatal Impurity
02-04-2006, 01:47 PM
ff6 has multiple ending!!!! :O OMG! :O *jumps onto playstation and starts playing ff6 frantically*

Alexander
02-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Yay, in a certain extent. I don't want FFX-2 to repeat again, but multiple endings rock. XD

Neco Arc
02-04-2006, 03:33 PM
yay... maybe like SD3 style...

Necron
02-04-2006, 05:26 PM
I say nay, the reason is because if I don't see EVERY ending, I feel incomplete, just knowing that I haven't got 100% on a game makes me put my head in a very fluffy pillow and cry. :cry:

Captain Maxx Power
02-04-2006, 06:30 PM
The problem with making a game that takes sixty plus hours to complete with multiple endings is that for every "new" ending a player has to invest a further sixty hours at a time. Plus most endings you don't even KNOW what constitutes to them (FFX-2 had something like talking to a certain NPC in a certain mission at a certain time whilst standing on your head eating M&Ms or something). The only game I've come across that did multiple endings well was Chrono Trigger, with the expert use of New Game + and the simplicity of the ending being based on when you fought Lavos.

NeoCracker
02-04-2006, 06:36 PM
I liked the Multiple Endings of Ogre Battle: MArch of the Black Queen. Endings relevant to characters you gather, special items you can find, your alignment score and reputation score. I think there were about twelve endings, one of which you can only get as a female, and one as a male. Very good endies that were very different. One of which one of your generals shivs you.