PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap, the Boost ability is actually worth something

AdVincent
02-04-2006, 11:42 PM
So earlier today I opened up a dusty FF8 to fight the infamous "Omega Weapon" as I had my game saved right before confronting the last boss. So I went through the portal door to the outside world for some training at the Island closest to hell(or whatever it's called). I use Eden to punish some mofo's and decided to press to "Select" button to see if anything would happen just out of the blue since watching the damn GF animation takes an hour and a little Square button shows up that tells you to push it. I start to get the hang out of it and I do 29,000 dmg instead of the regular 9,999.

Why wasn't I aware of this? This could have made the game A MILLION times easier. I was always wondering why the hell my GF's were so damn weak.

nik0tine
02-04-2006, 11:49 PM
GF's are seldom worth using. (with the exception of Eden, and Doomtrain, of course)

Alexander
02-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Like most FFs, the summons are pretty weak, besides the final ones. But Boost really makes them a little bit less useless. But still, Limit Breaks are much better.

And I don't know how you missed Boost. I mean, EVERY DAMAGING GF (bar Diablos and Cactuar) start with Boost in their abilities, and it is only 10 AP.

Shoeberto
02-05-2006, 12:45 AM
I've always found boosting to be quite satisfying. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=76424)

JackNapier
02-05-2006, 02:39 AM
GF's are seldom worth using. (with the exception of Eden, and Doomtrain, of course)
WTF? Im not saying your wrong but I found the GFs really helped for me.

Fonzie
02-05-2006, 05:53 AM
Only good thing they do is refine items or magic's

AdVincent
02-05-2006, 06:18 AM
No, I mean I never knew you could use that thing...NOWHERE in the game does it tell you to press select+square.

Captain Maxx Power
02-05-2006, 03:28 PM
GFs are the ultimate meat shields.

Mo-Nercy
02-05-2006, 03:34 PM
There are a few ways to play FF8. The way you're 'supposed' to do (arguably) is to junction your GFs, pump up your stats, draw and refine yourself awesome items and magic and stay on a low level throughout. The other way is to abuse your GFs, with Boost and SumMag abilities, GFs can actually do a lot of damage. Combine this with the fact that GFs take damage for you while you're waiting for them to come out and you'll find that playing FF8 this way isn't too bad either.

And yes, we all had to find out what Boost did all by ourselves.

Alexander
02-05-2006, 04:56 PM
There are a few ways to play FF8. The way you're 'supposed' to do (arguably) is to junction your GFs, pump up your stats, draw and refine yourself awesome items and magic and stay on a low level throughout. The other way is to abuse your GFs, with Boost and SumMag abilities, GFs can actually do a lot of damage. Combine this with the fact that GFs take damage for you while you're waiting for them to come out and you'll find that playing FF8 this way isn't too bad either.

Well, GF abusing at low level with decent junctions, and leveling up with bonuses in Disc 3 and still abuse GFs, is the best of both worlds. XD~ Even though I only start to GF abuse at Disc 3 - when I can get Doomtrain (best GF evah) and get them a crapload of levels by abusing Edea. XD~~

Only good thing they do is refine items or magic's

And stat junction and the commands are totally worthless, weeee~

LunarWeaver
02-05-2006, 05:18 PM
It's surprising how many people don't know about this. I myself discoverd it by accident too. I find it funny Quistis gives you 463 tutorials on everything from how to junction magic to how to brush your teeth, and never once finds it important enough to mention how to Boost. No wonder she got fired from her instructor position.

Captain Maxx Power
02-06-2006, 12:09 AM
No wonder she got fired from her instructor position.

She didn't get fired. They just decided she was too gorgeous to be allowed in the Garden distracting me the students.

raskerino
02-06-2006, 03:11 AM
There are 4 worthwhile GFs (not two), a) Eden for damage, b) Doomtrain for meltdown, c) Cerberus for triple and d) Tonberry for pure awesomeness and hilarity.

LunarWeaver
02-06-2006, 03:17 AM
She didn't get fired. They just decided she was too gorgeous to be allowed in the Garden distracting me the students.

Well I can't argue with that

yuno
02-06-2006, 01:13 PM
There are 4 worthwhile GFs (not two), a) Eden for damage, b) Doomtrain for meltdown, c) Cerberus for triple and d) Tonberry for pure awesomeness and hilarity.
i also found diablos quite useful.his damage function (or at least the damage function that i observe) is cooler than most.

roxy
02-10-2006, 11:24 PM

Why the hell would you stay on a low level?

Vaprice
02-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Why the hell would you stay on a low level?

It's like FFVII. If Cloud was lvl 1, Sephiroth would be lvl 1. So therefore if your main character was a lower lvl it'd be more easier to beat the main boss. If it was lvl 99 with max stats, and etc... you'd have a more difficult time fighting the boss.

I might not be answering correctly, but if I did understand what you said it's all right.

Hell_Tonberry
02-13-2006, 11:59 PM
i didnt read whole thing but i gotta admit YOU'RE BLIND!! ... menu/tutorial/information/gf/BOOST!!!!!!!!

Thoughtless
02-16-2006, 06:45 AM
First time through the game for me it was hell, GF GF GF rofl. Never used them past then, i got The Punishment (or something) before I left Balamb for the first time and just used Attack and little magic (Excluding Doomtrain).