PDA

View Full Version : How come...

Rengori
02-05-2006, 05:24 AM
It seems 80% of the visual art forum is sigs?

black orb
02-05-2006, 06:07 AM
>>> I guess pick a pencil and draw something is not very popular these days..

Agent Proto
02-05-2006, 06:12 AM
I don't really like the idea of showcasing signatures and classify it as art. Chances are that the images used are official artwork not created by the user who made the signatures. While, I guess there are a few signatures that look great, I just don't think they should be showcased.

Just my opinion. We need more actual artwork rather than signatures in Artist's Gallery.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-05-2006, 06:20 AM
I'd be for banning them.

Rengori
02-05-2006, 06:48 AM
I'd be for banning them.
High five! Oh wait, I'm dead to you aren't I?

Del Murder
02-05-2006, 07:03 AM
If it really is 80% or something that large, then maybe we should ban them.

Maybe restrict them to only pieces which do not use the works of others?

Rengori
02-05-2006, 07:04 AM
Well, it's more the SIZE of the threads than the number... And that was probably an exageration.

Miriel
02-05-2006, 07:14 AM
Why not just make one thread where everyone can show off their latest signature creations?

The mentality that people have seems to be, "Oh look! a thread with some copy and paste signature creations. I can make stuff like that. I'll make a thread for my "art" too!" x 100.

Edit: Something like this (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=48581) would obviously work.

nik0tine
02-05-2006, 07:17 AM
I don't think signatures should go in the Art forum since I've yet to see even once signature that I would classify as "art".

Miriel
02-05-2006, 07:26 AM
I don't think signatures should go in the Art forum since I've yet to see even once signature that I would classify as "art".
What is art?

There's plenty of stuff in that forum that I personally wouldn't regard as art (and I'm not just talking signatures here) but seeing as how this is Eyes on Final Fantasy, and not an art related site, there's really no reason to be elitist about the kind of stuff that can be posted in the Art forum.

Take that elitism to deviantART.

Yamaneko
02-05-2006, 07:27 AM
What isn't art?

Wait...

eestlinc
02-05-2006, 07:29 AM
yea, I don't think we should really be making judgment calls on artistic worth here. then aain, I don't think we really need to pump the art forum full of signature threads either.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-05-2006, 07:37 AM
It has been our policy to make judgment calls when the art forum gets saturated with what is obviously garbage. So far it's only been regarding five-second MS Paint crap, but signature threads would certainly be eligible as well.

Miriel
02-05-2006, 07:41 AM
Fine, make it easier on everyone and only give black orb, sita atis, Dr Unne, and *angel tears* the ability to make threads in there.

Then the rest of us can "ooh" and "aww" as much as we want and grovel at their feet or something.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-05-2006, 07:49 AM
Sita still posts in there? Good times.

-N-
02-05-2006, 08:27 AM
What do you call an artist that can't draw?
A graphic designer!

edit: :monster:

nik0tine
02-05-2006, 08:31 AM
I almost said musician.

Old Manus
02-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Tracey Emin

Levian
02-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Picasso wasn't all that good with perspectives either.

Dr Unne
02-05-2006, 04:15 PM

Except mine.

Mo-Nercy
02-05-2006, 04:26 PM
(o^.^)==O SUPER MO PUNCH!!

^ Art. <3

rubah
02-05-2006, 04:36 PM
No one comments on the real art.

black orb
02-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Fine, make it easier on everyone and only give black orb, sita atis, Dr Unne, and *angel tears* the ability to make threads in there.

Then the rest of us can "ooh" and "aww" as much as we want and grovel at their feet or something.
>>> That would suck for sure, the art forum isnt just that people you mentioned there,this is what im talking about.. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=62583)

Agent Proto
02-05-2006, 04:38 PM
I stopped bothering with the Art forum. I used to be an advocate for the forum, but I lost all hope because no one ever comments when I post something there. :(

Psychotic
02-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Except mine.Submit it to Writer's Corner.

If graphics-based sig threads are allowed in Art, text-based sig threads should be allowed in Writer's corner.

But then again, a lot of the posters in the Art forum seem to enjoy the sig threads, and they aren't really harming anyone.

Cz
02-05-2006, 04:53 PM
It's probably worth having a single 'official' sig thread and deleting all others. The sheer number of sig threads in there at the moment is clogging up the forum and burying all of the proper art (for want of a better term). Maybe if more focus is placed on it, people will start to comment.

Rye
02-05-2006, 05:02 PM
I'd say they are art, the skillfully done sigs. :) If you can say they're not a form of "real" art, those who say they're not, show me a brilliant sig then that YOU made. Some of my sigs can take over an hour or two to do, and I daresay they're not MS Paint crap. I agree that sig threads should be limited, but to ban them all together is not fair.

If you won't let one form of art be allowed, who's to say you won't ban another? Photography? Oh, you only press a button and shoot a photo! That's not art, let's ban that too! And vector art? That's LIKE graphic art. BANNED!

See what I mean? :) I like Black Mage 121's idea. One giant sig thread is good. Though the Art forum doesn't seem too clogged up in my opinion.

EDIT: The proper term for painting and pencil and paper art is TRADITIONAL art, not real art. No one can say what is and is not art.

Rengori
02-05-2006, 05:48 PM
>>> That would suck for sure, the art forum isnt just that people you mentioned there,this is what im talking about.. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=62583)
Too bad that thread died.

RSL
02-05-2006, 05:56 PM
I don't see any reason to disallow sigs from that forum. What's it hurting?

Leeza
02-05-2006, 06:13 PM
I have my threads per page set to one hundred and I counted 19 threads for sigs. That's roughly 20% of the Artist's Forum devoted to sigs. I don't think that's overly much, but they are the threads that get most of the traffic and this keeps bumping them up to always be more visible. Each member is allowed only one thread for all of their sigs so, of course they will be always getting posted in on a regualr basis.

Del Murder
02-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Well if it saturates the forum to the point that most of them are sig threads, then it pushes down some of the original (as in entirely drawn by the artist) artwork down to where no one bothers to look at it.

EDIT: Looks like Leeza checked it out and I don't think 20% is enough to necessitate getting rid of those threads.

rubah
02-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Is dolling not an original art form then, since they originate from a base that was made by someone else?

Del Murder
02-05-2006, 09:03 PM
I don't even know what that word means.

Rengori
02-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Niether do I. What doe "dolling" mean?

Loony BoB
02-05-2006, 09:12 PM
I think a giant sig-thread would be good. The thing about sigs is that a lot of them don't take two hours to make - and just because they take that long between start and finish doesn't mean that's actually how long they do take to get created. I mean, if it's possible to recreate something in a matter of minutes if you know the tools well enough, then I see why people wonder. I see fancy sigs as graphic design, not art, personally. Design is still a visual talent, though, and I can understand how people can see it as an art form - like photography, it can be done in an artistic manner - I just call it 'design' personally because that to me is a better description for it.

rubah
02-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Niether do I. What doe "dolling" mean?
It's similar to sprite making except that the sprites are just naked figures.

Rengori
02-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Right. I got that.

black orb
02-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Too bad that thread died.
>>> Dont worry, It comes back to like from time to time..