PDA

View Full Version : The concept of Alchemy

Fonzie
02-05-2006, 05:51 AM
I've never really understood what it's meant by alchemy. I watch shows which kinda explain it but makes me ask more questions. It's just really confusing :confused: If someone could explain it to me it'd nice.

Yamaneko
02-05-2006, 05:54 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemy

Fonzie
02-05-2006, 05:58 AM
Odd it mentions the philosopher's stone as materia prima

Peegee
02-05-2006, 06:18 AM
Exactly -- the 'philosopher's stone' would be the means to attain nearly irrational abilities of transmutation.

krissy
02-05-2006, 06:20 AM
it's not hard
just rearrange the atoms

Fonzie
02-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Sir Isaaic Newton was an Alchemist lmao

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-05-2006, 06:30 AM
Albert Einstein was a physicist rofl

Tai-Ti
02-05-2006, 06:32 AM
it's a dead science, that didn't work ^_^d
well, some people like to think it worked, but that was the work of another science like chemistry.
Alchemy was the theory that you could change something into something else if it was the same mass and volume with what you started with.
They thought they came close to creating gold when they made brass, heh heh :D

Fonzie
02-05-2006, 06:35 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=78890

Look at that

Rice Cake
02-05-2006, 06:41 AM
Actually this one guy that I forgot his name turned Nitrogen atoms into Hydrogen atoms. Alchemy would work, but the outcome wouldn't be worth all the money it went into making it.

Tai-Ti
02-05-2006, 06:42 AM
the philosophers stone isn't real, its just a story linked to Alchemy.
It's like a quick cure for cancer: it might be out there, but the outlook is grim
but unlike a quick cure for cancer, not many people are putting heaps of their time and effot, and millions of $ looking for it.
i think Alchemy is a facsinating thing to read about,]
but at our school, you have a choice of Physics, Chemisty or Biology, it's been a good 50, 60 (?) years since Alchemy has been a talk of the town.

escobert
02-05-2006, 06:50 AM
Or even longer.

Emerald Aeris
02-05-2006, 06:58 AM
Alchemy nowadays is none of that physical lead-into-gold nonsense. As I understand it, alchemy refers to attaining a higher state of understanding, a philosophical transmutation. The state of gold being enlightenment. They talk about purifying the "spirit" a lot. I've read a book or two on it. Kinda silly if you ask me.

Awesomeman
02-05-2006, 07:11 AM
Wait! Are you guys refering to the philosopher's Stone in FMA? Cuz thats just a tv shoe and the only things similar to the show and real alchemy is the words transmutation and alchemy. Real alchemists didn't use some stupid circle, they used machines. And as my brother said, the product would be of far less value as the original materials.

Fonzie
02-05-2006, 07:30 AM
I saw the show so i was trying to learn the truth about it all.;)

Maxico
02-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Wait! Are you guys refering to the philosopher's Stone in FMA? Cuz thats just a tv shoe and the only things similar to the show and real alchemy is the words transmutation and alchemy. Real alchemists didn't use some stupid circle, they used machines. And as my brother said, the product would be of far less value as the original materials.

If they were, they deserve to die in some horrible manner or another.

And the philosophers stone DOES exist outside of that anime (Well the myth anyway).

And they wouldn't be of less value, THEY WOULDN'T EXIST. It's impossible. Period. Not to mention that alchemy predates machinery.

Awesomeman
02-05-2006, 09:37 AM
I meant like burners and pots, not like ovens and crap like that. And I don't believe in myths. If I can see it, then I will believe it. And if you read what RC put, then it is, or should I say was, possible to do it.

Death Penalty
02-05-2006, 10:07 AM
Could someone just sum it up for me as I dun feel like reading that Wiki.

smittenkitten
02-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Read the Harry Potter Books they know all. :)

Death Penalty
02-05-2006, 11:58 AM
I have and they do not know

boris no no
02-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Someones been watching Full Metal Alchemist ;)
*goes blind*

Shoden
02-05-2006, 04:15 PM
It's an ancient chemistry, people believed that using science and chemicals they could transmutate such as Lead to Gold and Dead to life, it never worked but alot of people famous or not were alchemists. Sir Issac Newton and Leonardo Da Vinci were alchemists, it's widely connected with paganism and stuff. Texts were wrote in symbols and ruins like code so only top secret spies or other alchemists could find out what it meant, it wasn't just an art it was a cult and a wide belief.

I could begin with the FMA art of alchemy but that aint the point :D though FMA rocks your socks and you know it.

yuno
02-05-2006, 04:28 PM
alchemy is actually one of the biggest stepping stones for the development of chemistry.alchemy caused people to actually try and discover the elementary composition of matter.when they thought that they cannot actually turn ordinary metal into gold in the atomic level,they just focused on the branch of science called "chemistry".

Fonzie
02-05-2006, 04:40 PM
WE learn something new everyday. :D

Rice Cake
02-05-2006, 07:44 PM
alchemy is actually one of the biggest stepping stones for the development of chemistry.alchemy caused people to actually try and discover the elementary composition of matter.when they thought that they cannot actually turn ordinary metal into gold in the atomic level,they just focused on the branch of science called "chemistry".

Didn't you read anything I put. Some one actually turned one subsance into another. And to that one guy that said alchemy predates machines, thats a load of crap. Sure the idea did, but the first successful transmutation was in the more recent times with machines. How do you really think they changed Nitrogen into Hydrogen. They used gaint reacters. Plus it is possible for them to turn a normal ore in to gold. It's just that the gold would be worth less than how much it cost to run the machine, the value of the original ore, and the machine itself. All alchemy is, is rearanging the molecules of the original substance into a copy of the prefered substance. If you don't beleive me, I'll be back with all the info on the first successful transmutation.

EDIT: First off I made a mistake. It wasn't Nitrogen to Hydrogen, it was Nitrogen to Oxygen. But, I found this article.

In 1919, Ernest Rutherford used artificial disintegration to convert nitrogen into oxygen. This process of bombarding the atomic nucleus with high energy particles is the principle behind modern particle accelerators, in which transmutations of elements are common. Indeed, in 1980, Glenn Seaborg transmuted lead into gold, though the amount of energy used and the microscopic quantities created negated any possible financial benefit.

In 1964, George Ohsawa and Michio Kushi, based on the claims of Louis Kervran, reportedly successfully transmutated sodium into potassium, by use of an electric arc, and later of carbon and oxygen into iron. In 1994, R. Sundaresan and J. Bockris reported that they had observed fusion reactions in electrical discharges between carbon rods immersed in water. However, none of these claims have been replicated by other scientists, and the idea is now thoroughly discredited,

Awesomeman
02-05-2006, 09:54 PM
My bro knows all about alchemy...:)

yuno
02-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Didn't you read anything I put. Some one actually turned one subsance into another. And to that one guy that said alchemy predates machines, thats a load of crap. Sure the idea did, but the first successful transmutation was in the more recent times with machines. How do you really think they changed Nitrogen into Hydrogen. They used gaint reacters. Plus it is possible for them to turn a normal ore in to gold. It's just that the gold would be worth less than how much it cost to run the machine, the value of the original ore, and the machine itself. All alchemy is, is rearanging the molecules of the original substance into a copy of the prefered substance. If you don't beleive me, I'll be back with all the info on the first successful transmutation.
you say that "all alchemy is,is rearranging the molecules of the original substance into a copy of the preferred substance." which means nitrogen turning into oxygen is NOT alchemy,because whatever you do,you cant rearrange the molecules of nitrogen to become a copy of oxygen molecules.you have to change the nitrogen atoms in the NUCLEAR level,not in the MOLECULAR level.and that is not alchemy,that is chemistry.it is not a transmutation,it is a nuclear reaction.

Shoeberto
02-06-2006, 02:12 PM
In order for mankind to gain etc.

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-06-2006, 05:47 PM
I knew a guy named Al Kemy once. He was a big fat jerk. He still owes me $30.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-06-2006, 07:44 PM
In order for mankind to gain etc.No.

Shoeberto
02-06-2006, 08:24 PM
You know, if you don't want your catchphrases to be ripped off, you really shouldn't use such infectiously catchy ones.

xtreme112
02-08-2006, 11:25 PM
This really is an interesting subject...

Captain Maxx Power
02-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Alchemy is the ability to craft the finest and purest green.

Jaffar
02-09-2006, 12:48 AM
Alchemy Yes Indeed Jaffar Has Heard Stories Of Such Things.

Once A Terrable Alchemist Of Only Evil Nature Stood Against The Caliphs Of Long Past Arabia.An Alchemist Who Very Sight Is Harmfull To The Eyes And Wretched Was His Plans.Among The World There Where No Better Men Who Made More Discovery And Sheer Astonshment Then The Ancient Arab Alchemist's.But This One Would Be Of Less Honor,For He Would Go On To Creating A Most Wretched Union Of Men Called The Assassins Who Would Be Assailent To Every One Who Would Cross Paths With The Creatures.Many Brews And Even More Terrabile Potions Did He Make That Turned His Men Into Demons Of Sheer Death And Distruction.He Called Them Flash Assailents And His Potions Brough About Them A Bloodlust That Was Unstopable.Because Of The Strong Brew In Wich He Made His Assassins Would Hunt There Target For Years If Need Be And Strike With A Lightning Speed.His Assassins Unlike The Whole Lot Of Coward Warriors In the World Did Not Use Stealth For If they Where Discoverd The Witness Would Surly Die Instantly.And Many men Did They Feld Unto There Daggers.

Chibi Youkai
02-09-2006, 12:54 AM
That...made no sense.

udsuna
02-09-2006, 01:01 AM
,because whatever you do,you cant rearrange the molecules of nitrogen to become a copy of oxygen molecules.you have to change the nitrogen atoms in the NUCLEAR level,not in the MOLECULAR level.and that is not alchemy,that is chemistry.

Bzzt.... wrong. Chemistry is only the elemental level, the properties within an atom and the electron shell. Not the working of molecular composition. I think that Nuclear Physics covers THAT field. Sure as hell isn't chemistry.

And alchemy was intent on altering an element into another element. Which would be represented by turning Nitrogen into Oxygen. Or Plutonium into raw energy. Either works. Sorry, yuno.

Ancient Seductress
02-09-2006, 04:25 AM
That...made no sense.

Sweetie perhaps if you took A few minutes to understand what Jaffar is saying rather then writing a stumbling post about how you cant understand it then I wouldent have to explain it to you know.

The Assassins where a secret organization controled by a Arabian "Alchemist" who prepared brews and potions to render his men in the state of berserk,rage,bloodlust, and gaining inhuman speed.Wich is why they called them "Flash Assailants".The Assassins built a number of strongholds all over persia and mesopotamia.When the Assassins were out on mission, they generally worked alone. Rarely did two or more of them work together. They dressed up as tradesmen or ascetic religious men, and spent a good deal of time in a city, in order to get well acquainted with the houses and streets, as well as the daily routines of the future victim.They always struck without any resistance from there victim as jaffar said If discovered with there speed the witness is sure to die instantly.The Leader was arabia's greatest alchemist and arabia had plenty of them.In fact in ancient Babylon there was a grand school for alchemist's and belived to be the school that invented "Mesopotamia's Battery" wich was the first battery in the world.

Awesomeman
02-09-2006, 04:32 AM
Sweetie perhaps if you took A few minutes to understand what Jaffar is saying rather then writing a stumbling post about how you cant understand it then I wouldent have to explain it to you know.

The Assassins where a secret organization controled by a Arabian "Alchemist" who prepared brews and potions to render his men in the state of berserk,rage,bloodlust, and gaining inhuman speed.Wich is why they called them "Flash Assailants".The Assassins built a number of strongholds all over persia and mesopotamia.When the Assassins were out on mission, they generally worked alone. Rarely did two or more of them work together. They dressed up as tradesmen or ascetic religious men, and spent a good deal of time in a city, in order to get well acquainted with the houses and streets, as well as the daily routines of the future victim.They always struck without any resistance from there victim as jaffar said If discovered with there speed the witness is sure to die instantly.The Leader was arabia's greatest alchemist and arabia had plenty of them.In fact in ancient Babylon there was a grand school for alchemist's and belived to be the school that invented "Mesopotamia's Battery" wich was the first battery in the world.

Is this a story, or a fact?:confused:

Ancient Seductress
02-09-2006, 04:34 AM
HAHA You dont know about the Assassins?Your kidden they where the ones who Invented the word Assassin (real name:Hasshash).
Look it UP

Awesomeman
02-09-2006, 04:40 AM
Oh sorry, and didn't the japanese create the word assasin?

Ancient Seductress
02-09-2006, 04:50 AM
Oh sorry, and didn't the japanese create the word assasin?

I think your talking about ninja, or shinobie ;), and they used more stealth then lightning speed of the arabian Flash Assailants

As for Assassin it's an arabian creation,the Assailants where also known as the "Cursed Warriors".But then not so much so to have there targets escape wich was very unfortunate for wayward crusaders :p

Awesomeman
02-09-2006, 04:54 AM
Assasins are anyone that kills people in secret. and we are going off topic.

yuno
02-09-2006, 06:38 AM
Bzzt.... wrong. Chemistry is only the elemental level, the properties within an atom and the electron shell. Not the working of molecular composition. I think that Nuclear Physics covers THAT field. Sure as hell isn't chemistry.
ooooops...my mistake.yes,it's nuclear physics...^_^

And alchemy was intent on altering an element into another element. Which would be represented by turning Nitrogen into Oxygen. Or Plutonium into raw energy. Either works. Sorry, yuno.
on deeper study of what the word "transmutation" means,i guess you are right.^_^

Chibi Youkai
02-10-2006, 12:45 AM

Maybe I did look it over and think about it, and still didn't understand it even then.

vampirepiggyhunter7
02-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Don't watch FMA to answer your question.
Trust me. I did a school report on alchemy.

Jimmch939
02-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Don't watch FMA to answer your question.
Trust me. I did a school report on alchemy.

Right. The creator('s) of FMA took a couple of concepts from what is traditionally referred to as alchemy and let his(their) imagination(s) run with it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-10-2006, 06:36 PM
his(their)Try "her."

Alive-Cat
02-10-2006, 06:54 PM
If you watch Full Metal Alchemist, at the start of EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN EPISODE it will explain the concept of Alchemy over and over and over into your skull until you NEVER forget! :spin:

Shoden
02-10-2006, 06:56 PM
The FMA concept of Alchemy differs from the real concept of Alchemy in a few ways though there are similarities, especially in the manga.

Wizdumb
02-10-2006, 10:59 PM
it's a dead science, that didn't work ^_^d
well, some people like to think it worked, but that was the work of another science like chemistry.

Ancient alchemy evolved into modern day chemistry.

Shoeberto
02-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Furr Metar Archumeestu