PDA

View Full Version : philosopher's stone=materia

Fonzie
02-05-2006, 06:23 AM
The philosopher's stone, in Latin lapis philosophorum, is a mythical substance that supposedly could turn inexpensive metals into gold and/or create an elixir that would make humans younger, thus delaying death. It was a longtime "holy grail" of Western alchemy. In the mystic view of alchemy, making the philosopher's stone would bring enlightenment upon the maker and conclude the Great Work. It is also known by several other names, such as materia prima.

20105 This i found on a Alchemy page. Each orb means something

Also found this intresting /\
[]
[]
[]

boys from the dwarf
02-05-2006, 08:07 AM
this must have been what they based materia on. sqare always make references to mythology and legends , but this is a new one though and i think you may be one of the first people to find it out.congrats.

Fonzie
02-05-2006, 04:44 PM
I the winner :mario:

abrojtm
02-05-2006, 09:52 PM
I'm pretty sure that Materia is simply Latin for "material or substance," but nice try.

Your explanation doesn't really make since by the way.

Fonzie
02-05-2006, 10:05 PM
materials are needed for alchemy, also i really don't care what you think. Just thought this was intresting.

omnislasher
02-17-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that Materia is simply Latin for "material or substance," but nice try.

Your explanation doesn't really make since by the way.

well, in a game thats as complex as this one, (not to mention the fact that its a work of art, so it's going to be taken in differently by anyone who views it) nobody except the creators really know exactly what the inspirations were behind the creation of every part of this game, or how they've been changed to suit the meanings behind the game. Art will always mean something different to anyone who experiences it, thats kind of the point of art itself... so who are you to shoot down someone's findings, or opinions that they have?
Personally, I find the concepts of alchemy very cool and interesting, and I think that jackpot found something awesome that nobody else has. so, congrats jackpot.

roxy
02-18-2006, 08:54 AM
Wow congrats, I think that alchemy is a load of crap though, but well done anyway :D

Skyblade
02-18-2006, 09:07 PM
If Square was going to make Materia a reference to the Philosopher's Stone, I don't think they would make it so subtle. The in-game descriptions and history given of Materia do not match any of the legends of the Philosopher's Stone. If they were going to use the Philosopher's Stone as a basis for Materia, then it would only make sense to match the origins of Materia to the origins of the Philosopher's Stone.