PDA

View Full Version : Very, very interesting: game translation and localization.

KoShiatar
02-05-2006, 09:25 PM
http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/2006/02/qa_square_enixs_1.php

Ever wondered what in the world made translators change games so much? Now you can catch a glimpse of it. I read this article on another forum and I thought it would be nice to share.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-06-2006, 05:29 PM
For example, when I told Kato-san, the scenario writer of Chrono Cross, that I found contradictions in his story, he sat down with me and helped me rewrite sections to make better sense in English, and implemented them into the game with extra text windows for me. It's good that he called Kato on this. It's not so good that the game's script turned out to be convoluted mess anyway.
Also think of FFX when at the end of the story Yuna turns to Tidus and says ‘Arigatou’ in Japanese. In English it sounded really weird for a girl who was turning to the man she loves, and may never see again, and just say a cold and simple ‘Thanks’. During recording, our translator asked the scenario writer, Nojima-san, whether he could change her line to say ‘I love you’."Nojima-san, the English-speaking audience is simply not ready for a lovers' farewell that doesn't adhere to hackneyed Hollywood movie conventions!"

Good stuff overall, though.

KoShiatar
02-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Yes, it is. It gives you some insight of how the whole process goes, and it answered a lot of my questions. What makes me kinda sad is that localizators don't seem to think that people ARE willing to make an effort to undertand something that comes from another country, culture and mentality.

Behold the Void
02-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Unfortunately, they are right to some degree in that regard. Many people are not willing to understand, and that can detract from game sales overall by a considerable margin.

Really a good article though.

edczxcvbnm
02-07-2006, 03:32 AM
I had known most of the concepts behind translation(thank you Working Designs making of discs) but not those specific examples. I think Yuna saying thank you is way more powerful than I love you. You can't always be happy with the translation but for the most part I always have been with most games. I think more companies are starting to learn about the value of good localization but are still a far way behind. Even more so when you consider the massive costs estimated for this coming generation.