PDA

View Full Version : My ps2's not working... b:(

yuna41269
02-06-2006, 03:42 AM
I have a copied game of final fantasy X. It's been working before but now, everytime I insert it in my ps2, the game wont be loaded. A reddish color will just appear in my screen saying that I need to insert ps2 format disc. Do you know where I can find that disc. My friends say that I need to modify my ps2 so the copied game will work. But I don't know how..help, anyone??:confused:

Vyk
02-06-2006, 05:43 AM
Its not asking for a format disk... what it means when it says that is that it wants a PS2 style disk. Meaning an actual game, not a copy. I have no idea how you supposedly had it working in the first place without modifying your PS2. Game CDs have (I believe) a code around the edge that you can't copy. Its part of the printing. Not something you can burn onto a blank CD (or something to this effect). The PS2 reads this to verify it's an actual PS2 CD/DVD. You have to modify your PS2 so that it would ignore that, and then you can get around verifcation. To modify your PS2 involves buying a mod chip, and opening the casing and soldering it onto the motherboard. Have fun with that... So yeah. No clue why it would have ever played your copied CD in the first place.

Most people that want to be cheap have a trick for using copied CDs, which is putting in a real PS2 game and then rigging your PS2 so you can slip the game out after it's verified and then pop in the copy

o_O
02-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Unless the PS2 is already modded, or you owns a swap disc, FFX wasn't playing previously on that PS2. Perhaps you meant that it has loaded before on another PS2? Anyway, a swap disc is a safe option to go for, as it won't void your warranty (which you could only have on a Slimline PS2 anyway), and doesn't require any soldering or installation. Otherwise, look on eBay (or other local auction site) for a local auction on mod chips. Most sellers will include a free installation if you pick up, or are willing to post your PS2.

Its not asking for a format disk... what it means when it says that is that it wants a PS2 style disk. Meaning an actual game, not a copy. I have no idea how you supposedly had it working in the first place without modifying your PS2. Game CDs have (I believe) a code around the edge that you can't copy. Its part of the printing. Not something you can burn onto a blank CD (or something to this effect). The PS2 reads this to verify it's an actual PS2 CD/DVD. You have to modify your PS2 so that it would ignore that, and then you can get around verifcation. To modify your PS2 involves buying a mod chip, and opening the casing and soldering it onto the motherboard. Have fun with that... So yeah. No clue why it would have ever played your copied CD in the first place.

It's not necessarily data around the edge, but bad sectors in the disc cannot be burnt by regular DVD or CD burners. The bad sectors contain data for matching the audio up with the video (subchannel data), but on PS2 discs, this is scrambled and randomised for parts of the game which don't require audio, such as the pre-title screen section. Regular burners rectify this messed up data so that the subchannel data is correct.
Consequently, when a PS2 reads the disc, it checks to see that the subchannel data is nonsense, and if it isn't, the game must be a copy, and won't load.

Most people that want to be cheap have a trick for using copied CDs, which is putting in a real PS2 game and then rigging your PS2 so you can slip the game out after it's verified and then pop in the copy

That is a good method to use, though the original game you have to use <i>must</i> have a larger TOC than the copy you want to play. Generally speaking, the more data on a disc, the larger the TOC. So if you wanted to play MGS3 or some other very large game by this method, you're pretty much out of luck. :p