PDA

View Full Version : Few questions for a FFT noob...

Carmilla
02-07-2006, 03:19 AM
Im up to battle 25 or so in the underground library and im getting beat up pretty bad. The dragoons do like 100 dmg to me while i hit them for like 40. :cry:

My average level is around 18 yet all of the enemies are around 25ish.

Should my levels always be around my enemies?
And another stupid question... exactly what goes up when my characters gain levels? HP/MP goes up from armors and atk goes up from weapons. What stats go up from levels?

And is level 8 the max a class can go? That seems low considering i got many characters to that already...

Oh, one other thing... why are the percentages of my Raise and Reraise spells so bad? I have like 30-40% chance to succeed when my Priest casts those spells!

Zechs
02-07-2006, 06:08 AM
1: It is suggested to maintain similare levels to that of the enemies. Thought it would further help to exceede them by a level or so.
2: What I remember, its just HP and MP are what increase as levels go up.
3: 8 is the Class Level Limit. I don't know why.
4: it is based on the Faith of a character. Increassing the characters Faith whill increase the chance of the spell. Though it may be the other way around and is based offof the downed characters Faith.
Hope this helps.

Xaven
02-07-2006, 06:24 AM
Also, you may want to take their zodiac signs into consideration. Go through that section in the game tutorial for some background and really look at it until you get it. A lot of times, zodiac signs can make or break your party. If you discover you have some serious problems with how the zodiac signs of your party are set up, you may want to consider rearranging jobs or dropping/adding party members.

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-07-2006, 06:39 AM
1. Levels aren't as important as skills, see below.
2. Stats increase with levels, but not at a fast pace. You will get a boost to speed and attack as you level, but mostly what is increased is HP and MP. Thus, having high levels isn't nearly as important as having good skills. Having high levels is simply a bi-product of having good skills.
3. Job levels are limited to level 8, and the only jobs that really require anything close to that to unlock are jobs like the Calculator and the Mime. Most jobs can be unlocked with a 3 or 4 in all other jobs. Aside from boosting the amount of JP gained with each action and unlocking new jobs, that is all the job level does.
4. As was said earlier, that's faith-based. Raising Brave and Faith are good ways to increase your attack (Brave) and magic attack (Faith) damage outside of leveling. Be warned, characters with a permanent Brave of 5 or less or characters with a permanent Faith of 95 or more will leave the party permanently. Ramza is exempt from this rule.

yuno
02-07-2006, 08:27 AM
im guessing your zodiac signs are not compatible.30-40% chance of raise is much too low.learn about the zodiac compatibilities and incompatibilities first.

MogThief
02-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Im up to battle 25 or so in the underground library and im getting beat up pretty bad. The dragoons do like 100 dmg to me while i hit them for like 40. :cry:

My average level is around 18 yet all of the enemies are around 25ish.

Should my levels always be around my enemies?
And another stupid question... exactly what goes up when my characters gain levels? HP/MP goes up from armors and atk goes up from weapons. What stats go up from levels?

And is level 8 the max a class can go? That seems low considering i got many characters to that already...

Oh, one other thing... why are the percentages of my Raise and Reraise spells so bad? I have like 30-40% chance to succeed when my Priest casts those spells!

Could you give me more information about the units you want to bring into battle, such as their abilities, jobs, etc.? I'm trying to treat this as if it was my problem.

Gilthanes
02-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Get a summoner, get him Golem and a good hard hitting attack, Leviathan/Salamander or better. That will help alot. Get your close-range fighters Blade Grasp from the samurai abilities. Put Golem up to protect your non-grasp'd casters, and then drop a big summon right in the middle.

sometimes I seriously think Summoners are more overpowered than Orlandu, not to mention Blade Grasp. Btw to make sure Blade Grasp works best, use Cheer Up from Ramza to get your fighters brave levels to 80+ (Brave translates directly into a % chance that your Reaction ability goes off)

And I'm surprised you got past the Execution Site if you were only what, 15-16? That battles harder than Orbonne imo (But thats cuz I always have to steal that Blood Sword heh). Get 25+ for Orbonne, get a pimped Summoner and some Samurai-Reaction'd fighters and you're set

And if your priests Raise spell isnt working well. Check his/her faith. Check the targets Faith. If both are say, under 50, its gonna be very hard to land a Raise. Use Mediators skill to raise your priests faith to 70+, but dont go over 90 or he may leave automatically. Personally, when the game starts I usually ditch my current soldiers, and recruit 4 people, 2 with 70+ brave to be fighters, and 2 with 65-70+ faith to be casters

Carmilla
02-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Most jobs can be unlocked with a 3 or 4 in all other jobs. Aside from boosting the amount of JP gained with each action and unlocking new jobs, that is all the job level does.

Ok, that was another question i was going to ask... what does a high level in a job do...
So all it does is increase JP gained and obviously unlock other jobs? Hmm, that sounds lame. :tongue:

And yeah, ive been boosting Ramzas brave with cheer and got him blade grasp. But it seems a little like cheating since ive tried it. hehe

And dont even get me started on the execution site or the battle where Ramza is stuck behind the drawbridge alone. Those took me like 3 hours each to do. But once i started using weapon break it was a piece of cake.

Thanks guys, youve helped a lot so far.
Im absolutely loving this game so far. :choc2:

Gilthanes
02-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Blade Grasp isnt immortality tho. Very far from cheating, its still very easy to kill a Blade Grasp'd member, as you will soon realize your enemies noticing also. Only applies to physical attacks, hell, you can even throw a stone at them and blade grasp doesnt block it hehe :)

BudSoda02
02-07-2006, 05:31 PM
This may sound stupid, but you may just want to start over and make sure you level up first. This is why you make multiple saves of this game, that way you can jump back around a bit if you find a part of the story too hard. Summoners are always nice to have but I find wizards and priests do a good job as well.
Thanks- BudSoda02 BudSoda02@yahoo.com

Gilthanes
02-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Only problem I have with Wizards is that Summoners can do their job just as well, and even throw on Golem or Carbuncle or a huge aoe heal when needed. Black Mages are very limited, was never a huge fan of using them in FFT

BG-57
02-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Wizards work best in combination with Short Charge, but the ultimate value of Black Magic spells is that most of them can be used in combination with Math Skills. Properly calculated, you can do tremendous damage instantly.

Beoluve
02-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Also here is a trick I always use. Before you enter a place like orbonne monastery save just outside and one inside.You should do this incase you need to change something or buy something or level up. So know you save inside so you can continue and one outside to upgrade.