PDA

View Full Version : Street Fighter/Sheng Long

Vyk
02-08-2006, 02:30 AM
Some of you may already be aware of this story. But I need some help, so for those that don't know the story, I'll sum up.

When the original Street Fighter two was released, one of the things Ryu would say when he won was "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance". It sounded like he was referring to a character. But what was actually going on is doofy translation. Apparently the Chinese pronunciation for Shoryuken is Sheng Long. And somehow a Chinese translation got mixed in with the Japanese -> English translation.

Apparently the April issue of EGM at the time, decided it would be funny to fool gamers into thinking that Ryu really was referring to a hidden character. Then went on to tell gamers that if they spent some time in the final match with M. Bison without touching him, eventually "Sheng Long" would come out and kill M. Bison and you'd have to fight your former master. (i.e. they convinced gamers they'd have to fight Ryu's former master "Gouken" tranlsated to Sheng Long)

Apparently they even published a doctored screen shot with the article depicting a Ryu-esque character (like those are uncommon [these days]) in brown robes and long gray hair.

It eventually became known as a hoax, but apparently prompted Capcom Japan to create Akuma as the hoax had such a huge impact on their sales (people went to arcades in droves to try to unlock Sheng Long) and everything about Akuma fits the description EGM gave about Sheng Long.

It even changed the canon Street Fighter story where M Bison killed Ryu and Ken's teacher, to a much more detailed story about two brothers, Gouki (Akuma) and Gouken ("Sheng Long" [note: this is not his official name]), and their teacher Goutetsu (who Akuma eventually kills). After gaining dark powers from their art Gouki challenges Gouken in front of Ryu and Ken during a training session and loses horribly, and leaves, vowing to master the darker sides of their art and return to kill him (which he eventually does).

The rest of the story I'm not sure is canon as I only heard most of it through EGM. But it fits with everything else I've read right up to the death. The second confrontation between the brothers was while Ken and Ryu were off competing in the tournament, Ken managed to return home in time to see his master killed. (Also of note, Gouken apparently had a daughter who witnessed the whole thing) Ken tried to avenge his master but Akuma shrugged him off pretty easily

Now comes the second EGM hoax. Their claim that Akuma killed Gouken on a cliff and his body fell into a river and was never found. Leaving it open to the possibility that he might have survived somehow. And then they tried to play the same SF2 hoax in SF3. Printing an April issue article about how to unlock the hidden boss Sheng Long, who's a very Ryu/Akuma-esque character (this time in gray robes) with long gray hair. And again with the doctored screen shots. Even character art to go with it, which looks supsiciously official.

I never saw the original article, or screen shot. But I have the EGM issue with the SF3 hoax. Unfortunately I can't scan it. But I have found sites with pictures. There's a full body image of Sheng Long in the issue, but the only picture I found online was a crop of his face. I have found a few of the doctored screen shots

What I'm hoping is that someone around here is really in the know. Hopefully someone can find a pic of the original SF2 fake screen shot (I've looked all over the web). And can hopefully explain where the character art came from, and who/what they used to splice the doctored screen shots to come up with really convicing depictions. I assume Akuma's body is the base, but that bald head had to come from somewhere. I'm attaching the images from EGM's SF3 hoax article.

Erdrick Holmes
02-08-2006, 03:11 AM
I never really understood who this "Shen Long" that Ryu was babbling about when his master is CLEARLY Gouken. Like you said, it was probably a translation error.

I think I have a copy of that magazine stashed in one of the hundreds of boxes in my garage. I'll look later on.

So now we know, and knowing is half the battle.

http://www.collectablekingdom.com/images/new_gijoe_logo.jpg

Vyk
02-08-2006, 03:44 AM
Haha, well glad I accomplished something at least :D

Yeah, all the sources I came across said Sheng Long was just the Chinese (Cantonese specifically) to English translation of Shoryuken (his Dragon Punch) so basically all he's saying is "You must defeat my dragon punch to stand a chance" xD

Erdrick Holmes
02-08-2006, 04:09 AM
THAT's what it ment.

Mystery solved.

black orb
02-08-2006, 04:19 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/rodv/shenlong.gif>>> now hurry and make your wish...

Erdrick Holmes
02-08-2006, 05:10 AM
I wish all morons are dead. *notices how the world loses 89 percent of it's populus.

black orb
02-08-2006, 05:28 AM
I wish all morons are dead. *notices how the world loses 89 percent of it's populus.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/rodv/shenlong.gif>>> Granted!.. *dies*

Shin Gouken
02-08-2006, 09:24 AM

Those sprites were fan made :)

I never questioned that Sheng long refered to an actual person. I presumed he was refering to his dragon punch.

As far as the story goes, all i remember aside from what you already wrote is that ken does actually manage to defeat Akuma at some point.

EDIT: click on the first two sprites to see them animated

NM
02-08-2006, 12:15 PM
I don't really know the whole Street Fighter story that well, but if you have a look on Wikipedia, theres quite a few articles on there about the overly confusing back story.

Erdrick Holmes
02-08-2006, 04:29 PM
The whole Shen Long theory was kind of messed around my Capcom of America. They made Street Fighter comics where a man named Shenlong was Ryu and Ken's master, and since that's such a STUPID sounding thing, I decided I should have NOTHING to do with the comic, and neither should my dad, and neither should you. Trust me.

Vyk
02-08-2006, 05:22 PM
That's probably a translation of the comic that was going in in Hong Kong (I think they said). When the hoax got out of control, there was a company doing a Street Fighter comic at the time, and they scrambled to fit "Sheng Long" into the story.

And more recently, apparently there was a Street Fighter Zero 3 comic which had a Sheng Long as Ryu's father or something? But from what I'm reading on that, I highly doubt it's official. It totally screws up the Street Fighter mythos (way more than Sheng Long would have)

Basic Information

- ChunLi is the daughter of Lord Vega. Gen is her sensei and sort of Lord Vega's trusted servant
- Ryu is Gouken's eldest disciple. Son of Sheng Long (Chi Sheng Long /Red Rising Dragon even though I call him Shoryu) Ryu's name means Chi Long / Red Dragon because of that headband which comic wise was given by his father
And Sakura is Ryu's long lost twin sister ( ignore age difference) adopted by Guy's master

And I don't think "Sheng Long" is necissarily a translation issue in that quote, considering...

- Sheng Long's backstory. He and Guy's master (Zeku ) are childhood friends. And were seperated when Goutetsu picked him as a student (already has Gouken, Gouki and one other guy name Hoken( Hao Quan but call him Hoken for story sake okay )) While Zeku went and study Bushinryu (Guy's style)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Apparently they even published a doctored screen shot with the article depicting a Ryu-esque character (like those are uncommon [these days]) in brown robes and long gray hair.Actually it was a dark gray gi with long silver hair. The screenshot is clear in my mind, but being that my old EGM issues are currently boxed up in the square root of the eighth dimension, I won't be able to scan it. Why don't you write to EGM and ask them to print it in an upcoming issue or do a feature (http://www.1up.com/do/featuresIndex?ct=FEATURE&did=1) about it on 1UP.com? They seem like all right guys.

Shin Gouken
02-08-2006, 07:26 PM
- ChunLi is the daughter of Lord Vega. Gen is her sensei and sort of Lord Vega's trusted servant
- Ryu is Gouken's eldest disciple. Son of Sheng Long (Chi Sheng Long /Red Rising Dragon even though I call him Shoryu) Ryu's name means Chi Long / Red Dragon because of that headband which comic wise was given by his father
And Sakura is Ryu's long lost twin sister ( ignore age difference) adopted by Guy's master

Where did this "basic information" come from???

Gouken isn't ryu's sensai. Gotetsu is ryu's sensai. Gouken is or rather WAS Akuma's sensai. The street fighter II animated film suggests that his headband was given to him by ken. Street fighter alpha the film clarify's that ryu has a brother. No sidter is mentioned and if i remember, his brother wasn't even his brother :confused:

Vyk
02-08-2006, 07:44 PM
What you quoted is from a site regarding the Street Fighter Zero 3 manga which I've stated I don't consider as canon considering how much it messes with the Street Fighter storylines. But the part regarding Ryu's sensei is accurate according to most of the sources I've come across (Wikipedia being among them). Akuma (Gouki) and his brother (Gouken) were trained under the same sensei (Goutetsu) and Akuma's brother took on Ryu and Ken as students

Here's the site with the whacko info on Street Fighter Zero 3 manga
http://www.megspace.com/arts/rcllair/hkcoms/HK_SFZ3.htm

And here's some references for Akuma's story and creation and some bits on Gouken, Goutetsu, Ryu, Ken, and some mention of Little Miss (Gouken's daughter).
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/reference/akuma_street_fighter_character
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akuma_(Street_Fighter)#Related_characters

This one mentions the Hong Kong comic changing the story to match the EGM hoax
http://www.gamespot.com/features/vgs/universal/sfhistory/char_sheng_long.html

Shin Gouken
02-08-2006, 08:07 PM
What you quoted is from a site regarding the Street Fighter Zero 3 manga which I've stated I don't consider as canon considering how much it messes with the Street Fighter storylines. But the part regarding Ryu's sensei is accurate according to most of the sources I've come across (Wikipedia being among them). Akuma (Gouki) and his brother (Gouken) were trained under the same sensei (Goutetsu) and Akuma's brother took on Ryu and Ken as students

Here's the site with the whacko info on Street Fighter Zero 3 manga
http://www.megspace.com/arts/rcllair/hkcoms/HK_SFZ3.htm

And here's some references for Akuma's story and creation and some bits on Gouken, Goutetsu, Ryu, Ken, and some mention of Little Miss (Gouken's daughter).
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/reference/akuma_street_fighter_character
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akuma_(Street_Fighter)#Related_characters

This one mentions the Hong Kong comic changing the story to match the EGM hoax
http://www.gamespot.com/features/vgs/universal/sfhistory/char_sheng_long.html

Yup, they sound pretty accurate. It doesn't say where most of their information came from though. Meh, i'm convinced :cool:

Though one thing i didn't get. Ryu means dragon and akuma means demon. So why does shin akuma mean true demon but shin ryu mean god of dragon?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-08-2006, 08:17 PM
"Shin" can be expressed with different kanji, one of which means "true." The kanji meaning "god," which is usually pronounced "kami," is pronounced "shin" under certain conjugations. I like "quotation" "marks."

Shin Gouken
02-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Where do you get this stuff?!! LOL thanks for that dude. I was worried for a mo there. The shin in my username was supposed to mean god. I don't think it would sound so good if it meant true. Well, that's me happy again :)

Erdrick Holmes
02-08-2006, 08:50 PM
God, I swear. People across the planet CANNOT translate anything properly anymore. It's pretty sad that the only company that hasn't killed off SF completely is Japan.

Vyk
02-09-2006, 04:04 AM
Don't ask why I'm so obsessed with this. But man... apparently the prank got even further. I guess some toy manufacturer even produced a Sheng Long action figure

Edit: Now I've come across some really suspicious stuff. I'm thinking this is german, but I came across scans from a magazine that have the Sheng Long thing in it. And one could surmise they're more doctored images (tons of them along the side o_O) but there's another artistic rendering of him. Same style. Same quality. Different pose. It looks really official. And below him is Gouken (this one I know is official 'cause I've come across it before). Maybe Sheng Long has become accepted? There's even some stuff on Goutetsu and Go Hibiki (Dan's dad, killed by Sagat) that are strangely similar to official art...

Erdrick Holmes
02-09-2006, 04:57 AM
GAH. Damn them.

Vyk
02-09-2006, 04:58 AM
Hmm. Didn't realize some of the pics didn't upload *Fixed*

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-09-2006, 05:45 AM
Those artworks of Sheng Long and Goutetsu in the "magazine scans" are pretty obviously fan art--and bad fan art, at that. And the artwork of Go Hibiki is just Dan Hibiki.

Vyk
02-09-2006, 06:05 AM
I know that's a picture of Dan, it doesn't match the sprite in the pic. I'm more concerned with the sprite in that one. But that doesn't really interest me. The pic of Gouken is the same used on Wikipedia, and apparently in one of Akuma's ending in SFA3 or SF3 I can't remember which. But it also features Goutetsu's image as well. So fanwork or not, it's supposed to be close to what Gouken is supposed to look like (which is in the image of him and Ryu). But that Sheng Long thing bothers me. Both pictures of Sheng Long I've seen are disturbingly close in artistic style to the style used to draw character art in all the Alpha games x_x;

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-09-2006, 06:12 AM
I could go on to explain why these things are hoaxes but at this point it really ought to be a question of common sense. Use your head.

Vyk
02-09-2006, 06:15 AM
I'm sure it is all a hoax. But Goutetsu is official. I just want to know who drew the original Sheng Long. It's too good to be fan art. I wish I could find a full body shot instead of just the cut of his head. Its not just peices of other fighters spliced together.

NM
02-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Someones clearly gone to alot of effort to make people think all this is real. But if you really want to kow the answer you could always try sending an email to Capcom. The worst they can do is ignore you. :)