PDA

View Full Version : Sex and the City

Miriel
02-11-2006, 10:03 AM
I love this show. I love it.

Contrary to the title of the show, the show is more about relationships between friends and boyfriends than it is about sex. I've never seen a show that asked the kinds of questions that Carrie asked, or explored relationships the way the show did.

I thought the balance between characters was really well done, and I could identify a little with each of them. Not that these women are exactly typical of woman in general, but even if each of the Sex and the City girls were a bit outrageous and stereotypical sometimes, I still found them endearing and loved them for all their virtues and faults.

I'm really curious to know if any guys watch this show, and what they think of it. I occassionaly think that certain episodes should be mandatory watching for males, cause sometimes the show just hits the nail in the head.

"Later that day I got to thinking about relationships. There are those that open you up to something new and exotic, those that are old and familiar, those that bring up lots of questions, those that bring you somewhere unexpected, those that bring you far from where you started, and those that bring you back. But the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that's just fabulous." - Carrie Bradshaw

Yeah, I'll admit it. I cried with that last voice over from Carrie. But that could just be because where I am in my life coincided so wonderfully with where Carrie was when I watched that finale. I love this show!

Captain Maxx Power
02-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Seen it, hated it, never watched it again.

Chris
02-11-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm sorry, but I think this is one of the worst shows I have ever seen. I hate the characters; a shows about women trying to get some...how profound.

Dreddz
02-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Lets just say It was one of my favourite programs ever at one point.

Miriel
02-11-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm sorry, but I think this is one of the worst shows I have ever seen. I hate the characters; a shows about women trying to get some...how profound.
You know what? Sex and the City actually is really profound.

And like I said, it's not always about "trying to get some". It's about love and heartbreak and relationships and finding that one special person who gets you and will stick with you for life like a freakin' penguin.

Maxico
02-11-2006, 09:20 PM
"If I'm not having sex by the end of this goat cheese casavia, I'm going to scream."

Yeah, I found it pretty unbearable.

Shlup
02-11-2006, 09:23 PM
I finally sat down to watch an episode after hearing so much about it. I very quickly found myself wanting to stab the main character in the jaw. She's a vapid whore and she needs to die.

Miriel
02-11-2006, 09:24 PM
I <3 Carrie.

Shlup
02-11-2006, 09:26 PM
I <3 the thought of her being beaten to death by all the people those stupid ass shoes could pay to feed.

Psychotic
02-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Why do such vapid, self-obsessed, idiotic and vain women think they deserve the perfect man? It's not like they even have their looks to fall back on.

Shoeberto
02-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Why do such vapid, self-obsessed, idiotic and vain women think they deserve the perfect man? It's not like they even have their looks to fall back on.
Ahahahahahahahahaha it's funny because it's so the truth.

Well, the brunette was hot. But the others were blech.

Rye
02-11-2006, 09:37 PM

Yeah, I kinda agree. I never really watched the show, but that's the type of image I get from it. It might be a good show, but I don't like the people on it just from what I heard they're like.

a nirvana fan
02-11-2006, 11:02 PM

Yep.

Mr. Graves
02-12-2006, 02:57 AM
It's not for me. But then, this seems like a show geared at females. It bored me.

My grandmother loves it.

Miriel
02-12-2006, 03:20 AM
Have you people even watched more than 1 or 2 episodes?

One "vaid self-obsessed, idiotic and vain" woman ends up adopting and providing a loving home for a Chinese baby. Another "vapid self-obsessed, idiotic and vain" woman manages to fight breast cancer and despite losing all her hair remain strong and beautiful and confident. The third "vapid self-obsessed, idiotic and vain" woman becomes a loving mother, and the fourth (despite getting through things like being dumped by a freakin' POST-IT) manages to find the love of her life.

Even if you don't think that the 4 characters are pretty or attractive and think that they come off as vain, they are not vapid and idiotic. A writer, a lawyer, a PR manager, and an art expert. Their dialogue is as sharp and witty as any other dialogue that exists on television, and that includes Arrested Development.

If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine. But it's amazing that people can be so judgemental of a show that deals with woman and their sexual encounters while movies like 40 Year Old Virgin that deals with the sexual encounters of men is fine and dandy. Personally, I don't have a problem with either.

Viva la sexual revolution.

Mr. Graves
02-12-2006, 03:22 AM
Four episodes for me. Believe me, I came with an open-mind at the time. =/

Miriel
02-12-2006, 03:28 AM
I watched all of season one on DVD and I disliked what I saw. So I gave it up for 2 years. Then recently I saw season 2-6 and I fell in love with the show. *shrugs*

I think it's one of those shows that benefits from watching in the long-run since how each of the characters grow and change is what fascinates me the most about the show.

Well, the brunette was hot. But the others were blech.
Yeah, because only woman who are attractive should be on TV, right?

Also, the Sex and the City girls aren't looking for the perfect man, they're looking for the right men for THEM. So if you're bald, sweaty and fat (like Harry) or a skinny, glasses wearing guy with a lisp (like Steve), Sex and the City should give you hope that you too could end up with a great woman. Maybe it's just me, but I like seeing adult relationships that involve people who aren't perfect and who don't look like models.

Rengori
02-12-2006, 08:12 AM
What he said.

Leeza
02-12-2006, 08:19 AM
I loved the show. Never missed it and I'm slowly starting to buy my DVD collection, one season at a time. :cat: