PDA

View Full Version : PC to TV question

Shadowdust
02-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Okay, I've been trying to figure this out for a long time and haven't really cared for sometime until today. Anyway, the problem is concerning the signal degradation when using the s-video out on a video card. With every card I have had, I always get these scrolling horizontal lines on my tv. They're transparent so it's more of a minor annoyance than anything. For the longest, I just had to accept that it was probably the conversion from the video card to the tv that caused the degradation.

Okay, so recently, I decided to hook up my laptop to the tv to view some tv shows I had downloaded. Of course, as always, the horizontal lines appeared. I wasn't too concerned at first. Then, I pulled out my power cord so that I could have a little more mobility. Low and behold, the moment the power cord was pulled out, the horizontal lines disappeared. The television was crystal clear. I plug the cord back in, and the horizontal lines reappear.

Since I had always used a desktop PC before to connect to the tv, I had never figured this was an issue. Now I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the power supply was the culprit all along.

So now I'm wondering, why this happens. I tried contacting technical support at ATI to question them on this and they just game some stupid response on how to hook up my tv. Therefore, my question was completely avoided.

My goal is to one day build a media center pc that I can use for my tv but I want to have this issue figured out by then. Afterall, what's the point of having a nice system like that if it lacks the quality of a cheap $50 DVD player. xD So if anyone has experienced a similar issue and found a fix, please let me know. I haven't found anything when using search engines so I'm at a loss here.

Thanks for listening to my babble and if you have any suggestions, thank you for those too.