PDA

View Full Version : items

Nick Schovitz
02-11-2006, 10:46 PM
I was wondering what alot of these items do in IV, they don't give you any help on what they do if you press select or anything. Here are a few of those items, in case you do know what they do.

Ag Apple
Hermes
Bachuus
Bomb
Unicorn
Barcceas

TheAbominatrix
02-11-2006, 10:48 PM
It shows you in the item screen.

1. I believe it permenantly ups your Agility, but I'm not sure
2. Casts Haste
3. Casts Berserk
4. I believe that's the bomb summon for Rydia
5. Works like Esuna for everyone, I think
6. Dunno

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Ag Apple is what Silver Apples are called in the PS translation. They increase a character's max HP by 50. Golden (Au) Apples boost it by 100.

TheAbominatrix
02-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Ah, no wonder I'd not seen one when I was playing Advance.

Oh Kishi, you never cease to make me quiver.

eestlinc
02-12-2006, 01:25 AM
am i going to regret it if i sell off all these stupid castable items? they just clog up the inventory.

feioncastor
02-12-2006, 01:32 AM
am i going to regret it if i sell off all these stupid castable items? they just clog up the inventory.
Probably not. You may use for a few of them. I like Hermes Shoes for hard fights because Cecil can haste himself, but other than that, they do just get in the way.

I remember playing FF2 for the SNES and getting upset because at no point could Cecil ever do the "Firebomb" and "Litbolt" that he does at the beginning. But in the remakes, you actually can.

Tempest
02-12-2006, 01:36 AM
I remember playing FF2 for the SNES and getting upset because at no point could Cecil ever do the "Firebomb" and "Litbolt" that he does at the beginning. But in the remakes, you actually can.
He can use the Firebomb since you can win them from Red Dragons but, I've never seen the Litbolt other then the beginning, of course.

TheAbominatrix
02-12-2006, 02:48 AM
The only items of the sort I ever used were Lunar Curtains. I had no use for the rest.

eestlinc
02-12-2006, 04:12 AM
good, because the inventory is way too small and I get sick of running off to a fat chocobo all the time.

feioncastor
02-12-2006, 06:59 AM
I am glad that the remake featured all the items, though.

In the original, there was the "Heal" potion, similar to "Remedy" in most games. I thought it was lame that in every other FF that I played, there was a different item for each status ailment, but in FF2, there was just Heal.

And "Heal" potions were cheap, too.

Nick Schovitz
02-12-2006, 07:56 PM
good, because the inventory is way too small and I get sick of running off to a fat chocobo all the time.
I hear to that.

KoShiatar
02-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Keep Lunar Curtains, they're useful.
Have Rydia learn her Summons. Sell the rest.

Nick Schovitz
02-13-2006, 12:05 AM
what items allow her to learn summons?

Jowy
02-13-2006, 04:31 AM
Imp, Bomb, Cockatrice, and Flayer.

Good luck though. I've beaten the game over twenty times and haven't gotten a single one.

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
02-13-2006, 05:30 AM
You have a 1/64 chance of getting it dropped... I don't know how SNES would read it, but if it's like the NES, after 64 Imps/Bombs/Cocks/Mages you would 100% surely get it...

So, if you are fighting 8 imps, you have a 1 out of 8 chance of getting a summon... I tried the Life trick, whenever the item is used it just has no effect...

feioncastor
02-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Imp, Bomb, Cockatrice, and Flayer.

Good luck though. I've beaten the game over twenty times and haven't gotten a single one.
I've gotten Imp, Bomb and Cockatrice, but never on the same game. Right now, I have cockatrice.

Imp is stupid, though. I've never seen it do more than 1 damage.

KoShiatar
02-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Yeah, they're funny, but not really useful...

Nick Schovitz
02-22-2006, 10:16 PM
So what does Succubus, HrGlass, Vampire and Boreas do?

Zeromus_X
02-22-2006, 11:41 PM
1: not sure. (casts "confuse?)
2: casts slow or stop?
3:casts drain
4: some kind of blizzard spell.

Masamuneˇ1600
02-23-2006, 04:43 AM
I was wondering what alot of these items do in IV, they don't give you any help on what they do if you press select or anything. Here are a few of those items, in case you do know what they do.

Ag Apple
Hermes
Bachuus
Bomb
Unicorn
Barcceas

Ag Apple, as Kishi said, increases max HP by 50. Ag and Au are the symbols for the elements silver and gold on the periodic table.

Hermes adds Haste.

Bacchus adds Berserk.

Bomb teaches Rydia the Bomb summon.

Unicorn removes battle-only status effects like Sleep, Confuse, and Paralyze.

There is no "Barcceas" item; I can only assume that this is a reference to the Bacchus or Boreas items.

You have a 1/64 chance of getting it dropped... I don't know how SNES would read it, but if it's like the NES, after 64 Imps/Bombs/Cocks/Mages you would 100% surely get it...

So, if you are fighting 8 imps, you have a 1 out of 8 chance of getting a summon... I tried the Life trick, whenever the item is used it just has no effect...

As I understand it, the odds are actually worse than this. The 1/64 value applies to the likelihood of an item drop being the desired item; however, a true 1/64 value would require an item to be dropped every time. The real odds, then, would be 1/(64*(1..x)).

So what does Succubus, HrGlass, Vampire and Boreas do?

Succubus absorbs MP. HrGlass causes "Stop" for a short period of time. Vampire absorbs HP. Boreas causes powerful ice elemental damage.