PDA

View Full Version : Punk Rock...

a nirvana fan
02-12-2006, 12:11 AM
Punk Rock is a very weird kind of music as the bands always differ from each other for example there's the 1970's bands like The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Adverts, X, and other various to the modern punk bands like New Found Glory, Blink 182, and there's the inbetweens like Black Flag, Bad Religion, Green Day and others...so what are your favourite punk bands, singers, guitarist and other things based around Punk Rock.

My favourite bands are
Misfits
Green Day
Black Flag
The Sex Pistols
The Ramones
The Clash
Bad Religion
The Adverts
The Jam
Goldfinger
Pennywise
And I could name about 20 more but the above are my favourite ones

TheAbominatrix
02-12-2006, 12:17 AM
I really dont count a lot of those as punk, but whatever floats your boat. I love punk rock, I live for it. I go to shows almost constantly, and I love my pretty mohawk.

Some of my favorite bands... Narcoleptic Youth, The Adicts, Swindle, The Unseen, The Buzzcocks, GBH, US Bombs, UK Subs, The Skulls, Subhumans, 46 Short, 8 Bucks Experiment... offhand, those're my faves.

I love punk. Especially circle pits at awesome shows.

a nirvana fan
02-12-2006, 12:37 AM
I haven't heard of most of them bands, as I type im downloading them though:D ...in a way I guess I should say thanks for listing these punk bands I've never heard off.

Btw Ive heard of Buzzcocks, I love em.

Markus. D
02-12-2006, 01:04 AM
My Chemical Romance - Fave Song: Helena

Mike V and the Rats - Fave Song: Never Give Up

Living End ^_^ - Fave Song: Whats on your radio.

TheAbominatrix
02-12-2006, 02:50 AM
I haven't heard of most of them bands, as I type im downloading them though:D ...in a way I guess I should say thanks for listing these punk bands I've never heard off.

Btw Ive heard of Buzzcocks, I love em.

I'd be glad to show you more, tell me what you think of these.

I've found almost all of these bands by going to shows almost constantly. In my town we have a venue called Showcase Theatre, and nearby towns have Glass House, The Scene, House of Blues, and so on. I've been in the punk scene for a long long time, so I've had exposure to a lot of local bands and had the pleasure to see a lot of old time vets (like The Adicts).

Death Penalty
02-12-2006, 04:45 AM
Punk Rock got cancer the day Black Flag broke up and died the day Kurt Cobain passes away. This new 'Punk Rock' doesnt have my respect.

TheAbominatrix
02-12-2006, 04:57 AM
None of what I've listed is 'new' punk rock. The punk scene is still going strong, and bands like The Adicts who've been around since the late 70's are still playing. I saw The Adicts live just a few months ago, and Subhumans are playing a my local venue in March. Punk is still going strong, just because it isnt in the media doesnt mean it isnt still around. And I mean real punk, not these pop-rock bands claiming they're punk.

And what the hell does Kurt Cobain have to do with punk rock? He was an excellent artist, but he was grunge, not punk. He had no impact on the punk scene in the least.

Death Penalty
02-12-2006, 05:07 AM
I asked my friend about that and I typed what he told me cus I dont listen to rock accept old school Jimmy.

ffxfreak93
02-12-2006, 05:11 AM
green day sucks ass!!!

i'm not a punk so i don't listen to it

TheAbominatrix
02-12-2006, 05:12 AM
Well your friend is wrong. Nirvana came after the heyday of punk, and they were grunge. Black Flag, while having a huge impact on punk, would not make or break the scene when there are so <i>so</i> many good bands out there, especially ones that still tour.

Oh, and Nirvana Fan, you may also wanna check out Cock Sparrer. God knows how I forgot to list them, they're one of my top three. They're of the more melodic punk variety.

Brian The Pink Shark
02-12-2006, 09:45 AM
as a metal fan punk isnt something i should like, but i do like some of it, namely sex pistols, the clash and the stranglers not much else unfortunatly :choc:

D.os
02-12-2006, 09:43 PM
I really like Punk, here are some of my fave bands:
Green Day
Yellowcard
Simple Paln
Nine Inche Nails
Fall Out Boy
Bad Religion
All American Rejects
Fonzie
Blink 182
The Descendents
Good Charlotte
Sex Pistols
New Found Glory
Lagwagon

I also like Metal :D :choc2:

a nirvana fan
02-12-2006, 10:34 PM
My Chemical Romance - Fave Song: Helena

Mike V and the Rats - Fave Song: Never Give Up

Living End ^_^ - Fave Song: Whats on your radio.

Chemical Romance are classed as emotional rock(EMO)

and whoever said Punk got cancer when Black Flag finished and when Kurt Cobain died, well how come it's because Cobain died? he was a grunge singer, rite?

Brian The Pink Shark
02-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Grunge is essentially a branch of punk :choc:

nik0tine
02-12-2006, 10:43 PM
I love my punk rock about as much as I love my Bach, and man do I ever love my Bach.

Off the top of my head my list would be as follows: The Casualties, Anti-Flag, The Unseen, The Sex Pistols, The Conflict, Ramones, The Virus, Bad Religion, Dropkick Murphies, Misfits, and The Dead Kennedies.

Trumpet Thief
02-12-2006, 10:47 PM
chaos: If Billy Talent is classified as Punk Rock, then I like it.

Rubedo: I heard that the Misfits were really nice guys (courtest of Foley is Good: and the real world is faker than professional wrestling book), but I heard their music, and I really hated it.

radyk05
02-13-2006, 05:16 PM
i like punk. i only lnow a couple of bands, tho. among them are the ramones (i hate how they got SO comercialized with teeny-bopers wearing their shirts and other stuff), the sex pistols, the clash, fall silent and lately i came to know dos minutos (from argentina, i really recomend them).

TheAbominatrix
02-13-2006, 08:02 PM
I'll definitly check out Dos Minutos, thanks for the recommendation. I love internation punk rock, I have a lot from Japan and Korea at the moment.

marc
02-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Punk is deader than Sid Vicious, it died the moment punk was reffered to as punk, punk was good in the seventies, but its just become another fashion, with any band that uses guitars now being called punk, who even gives a fuck?
Even John Lydon(nice guy), punks biggest idol, admits the whole thing was a joke.
I mean look at green day, I know I'm going to get run down by a group of fanboys now, but they are so unpunk its a joke, there so average and duuurr.

TheAbominatrix
02-13-2006, 09:05 PM
I really wish you would have bothered to read what I wrote.

Is punk big in the mainstream? Hell no. Bands like Green Day, Simple Plan, Good Charolette, etc, arent at all punk. They're called punk to appeal to the demographic of kids who didnt like the pop that was going on.

However, the punk scene is still alive and well in so many places. Bands like The Adicts still play their hearts out, and there are even great newer bands like The Scarred and Narcoleptic Youth. Clit 45, Naked Aggression, Subhumans, they all come around still. Just because there arent a bunch of punks wandering the streets in droves like they did in the early 80's doesnt mean it's dead.

John Lydon can say what he wants, but plenty of other huge punk idols are alive, well, and touring, so it's still alive.

marc
02-13-2006, 09:14 PM
The Scarred and Narcoleptic Youth. Clit 45, Naked Aggression, Subhumans, they all come around still. Just because there arent a bunch of punks wandering the streets in droves like they did in the early 80's doesnt mean it's dead.

Yeah, but with band names like that its hard to take them seriously

John Lydon can say what he wants, but plenty of other huge punk idols are alive, well, and touring, so it's still alive.

John Lydon is alive, and well.

I do like old punk music, but I still think punks dead, people should stop makeing music thats already been made, and do something original.

TheAbominatrix
02-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Since when has punk had an over-flow of serious-sounding band names? And I find it very shallow to judge a band's worth on their name as oppose to, oh, I dunno, their music?

I never said John Lydon was dead, did I?

I'd rather people make all sorts of music and do it well, rather than focusing on trying to make something new. There are plenty of bands making all sorts of music, original and from set genres, as it should be.

marc
02-13-2006, 09:31 PM
Since when has punk had an over-flow of serious-sounding band names? And I find it very shallow to judge a band's worth on their name as oppose to, oh, I dunno, their music?

When you see a band called clit 45, you hardly think there going to be good do you, it dosen't really show you much imagination, there just out to shock people, which there failing to do because with a name like that there hardly going to reach anything outside an underground audience.
Anyway I agree punk bands do sometimes have good and funny names, like the sex pistols, or the sperm bandits, however, 'clit 45' or 'naked aggression' is neither of these.

TheAbominatrix
02-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Again, you're judging a band on the name. That's just utterly ridiculous. You have no idea what they stand for or what they mean. You've never heard their music, read their lyrics, or done anything of the sort. You're making a ridiculous assumption based on a name, which to me shows that I'm wasting my time by even bothering with you, which is just a shame.

I dont see why you're even using the Sex Pistols as an example because, while they inspired a lot of wonderful bands, they're all about shock. While a band like Naked Aggression, who you've judged based on their name and not on the many things they stand for, are denounced despite being a very talented band with excellent lyrics, a long history in the scene, and a habit of fighting for many causes and doing plenty of benefits.

But whatever. Think what you will. I do hope one day you start actually judging music based on music, and not on band names or what someone else says. Have a nice day.

profskett
02-13-2006, 09:39 PM
In my humble opinion, punk is all rubbish. If you're counting MCR as punk band then I like some of their stuff (namely the first half of Three cheers - that album kind of goes downhill after 'Thank You for the Venom'), and Green day have a couple of good songs (though the ones of theirs I like are the non-punk ones). Other than that I think all punk sucks.

marc
02-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Again, you're judging a band on the name. That's just utterly ridiculous. You have no idea what they stand for or what they mean. You've never heard their music, read their lyrics, or done anything of the sort. You're making a ridiculous assumption based on a name, which to me shows that I'm wasting my time by even bothering with you, which is just a shame.

I'm only human.

Epiphany
02-13-2006, 09:49 PM
-Shakes head- It saddens me when people judge the whole by a few. Ah well.

Bands like the Buzzcocks, Adam and the Ants, The Chords, The Damned, Eddie and the Hot Rods, Generation X, Joy Division, Radiators from Space, The Rezillos, The Skids, The Casualties, and Stiff Little Fingers are orgasmic.

nik0tine
02-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Punk is deader than Sid Vicious, it died the moment punk was reffered to as punk, punk was good in the seventies, but its just become another fashion, with any band that uses guitars now being called punk, who even gives a smurf?You, sir, do not know what you are talking about.

Yeah, but with band names like that its hard to take them seriously
Kinda like the Sex Pistols, you mean?

Oh, and John Lydon is a sell out. I hate to admit it, but he is.

marc
02-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Oh, and John Lydon is a sell out. I hate to admit it, but he is.

thats what makes him so punk rock, he just does whatever the fuck he wants.

Crushed Hope
02-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Horrible genre, most every punk band sucks major amounts of ass. The Clash, Flogging Molly, and a few Grindcore bands are great though.

Jebus
02-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Not the biggest fan of punk, being a heavy classic/prog rock fan. But I do enjoy stuff like the Ramones, the Clash, and the Sex Pistols.

Shoeberto
02-13-2006, 10:34 PM
thats what makes him so punk rock, he just does whatever the smurf he wants.
My biggest problem with the punk scene is statements like this. It's hard to tell what is punk and what isn't, because one person calls something a sellout and someone will counter with something like this. It seems to be a culture of bizarro logic where everyone else's opinion is wrong.

Rye
02-13-2006, 10:40 PM
My biggest problem with the punk scene is statements like this. It's hard to tell what is punk and what isn't, because one person calls something a sellout and someone will counter with something like this. It seems to be a culture of bizarro logic where everyone else's opinion is wrong.

Exactly. Plus, the music doesn't really appeal to me, just not really my cup of tea. And it's not even that I dislike the new stuff, because I dislike old punk, like The Ramones, too. Just not my thing, though the handful of talented punk artists are pretty cool. :)

TheAbominatrix
02-14-2006, 12:12 AM

Well it isnt so much the punk scene that perpetuates this. It's the record companies labeling things as 'punk' to sell them. The punk scene, in general, doesnt really care too much about it, just a bit of annoyance when the Avril Lavinge girls stroll into the shows, but really no one cares.

The best way to tell what's punk and what isnt is simply to compare musical sound. Simple Plan, for instance, is very poppy. The lyrics lack any real statements aside from your average pop song, so calling it punk is very off. It doesnt sound right, nor does it carry a particular statement. The only reason those bands are called punk is, again, the record labels and the clothes/hairstyles.

Meat Puppet
02-14-2006, 12:22 AM
my favourite punk bands of right now would definately be split lip and munga :drool:

Shin Gouken
02-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Abominatrix got it spot on. But i do also think that the definition of punk has changed since the sex pistols and continues to change. I wouldn't call the sex pistols punk rock by todays standards. Back then you wouldn't call Blink 182 punk rock. It has kept some of the same values but the attitude changes quite a lot. Rebelling against authority, standing up for what you believe in, just doing whatever the hell you want, complaing at being an adolescant and being broken by love etc are all things punk rock have covered

nik0tine
02-14-2006, 01:26 AM
I should probably clarify. The reason that I say Lydon is a sellout is because it seems as if he does everything he can to "be punk" while at the same time making an effort to degrade everyone else. His concept that "If you have a mohawk you're a poser because other people have mohawks" is absolutely ridiculous. Read his book "Rotten: No blacks no irish, no dogs". It's a great book, but after reading it I decided he was a poser. That and after he did a reunion tour, charged 50 bucks for tickets (and the merchandise was equally expensive, and of extremely low quality) and put on the worst show I have ever seen in my fucking life. He didn't even know the lyrics to his own songs. He read them out of a book. Then, at the end of the show, he gets all buddy buddy with Glenn and says "Glenn is my friend. What kind of media have you been listening to?" Of course, in his own fucking book he talks about how Glenn is not his friend and the whole story about him hating glenn is absolutely true.

TheAbominatrix
02-14-2006, 02:01 AM
I should probably clarify. The reason that I say Lydon is a sellout is because it seems as if he does everything he can to "be punk" while at the same time making an effort to degrade everyone else. His concept that "If you have a mohawk you're a poser because other people have mohawks" is absolutely ridiculous. Read his book "Rotten: No blacks no irish, no dogs". It's a great book, but after reading it I decided he was a poser. That and after he did a reunion tour, charged 50 bucks for tickets (and the merchandise was equally expensive, and of extremely low quality) and put on the worst show I have ever seen in my smurfing life. He didn't even know the lyrics to his own songs. He read them out of a book. Then, at the end of the show, he gets all buddy buddy with Glenn and says "Glenn is my friend. What kind of media have you been listening to?" Of course, in his own smurfing book he talks about how Glenn is not his friend and the whole story about him hating glenn is absolutely true.

Never read his book myself, but I definitly agree with you here. I cant stand that 'if you do anything anyone else has done before, you're a poser' reasoning behind things. I do agree that being unique and original is very cool, but it's also okay to do things just because you enjoy them, and who cares if anyone else does them too?

marc
02-14-2006, 11:46 AM
has anyone seen Flip-Sorry, John Lydon presents that, v. funny

escobert
02-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Flip really sorry was better for the fact PJ ladd was in it imo but uh yeah back on topic. I don't listen to what most of you would call "punk" but I do :p. I like older Blink older Green Day, and I LOVE AFI. I appreciate the older punk bands and the newer ones they just arn't what I'm into. Gimme some good ol Blink anyday :p

mooglebunni608
02-14-2006, 05:42 PM
OH OH OH!!!
i like Avenge Sevenfold's Bat country

Shooting Star
02-14-2006, 07:28 PM
i'm really into punk. my fave punk bands are good charlotte, blink 182 and simple plan:)

Brian The Pink Shark
02-14-2006, 07:34 PM
im nopt a big fan of new punk, it's too whinny and with too few pollitical messages, that is were the sex pistols excel :choc:

TheAbominatrix
02-14-2006, 07:43 PM
im nopt a big fan of new punk, it's too whinny and with too few pollitical messages, that is were the sex pistols excel :choc:

Mainstream 'punk' doesnt have political messages because they're too busy going on about how different they are and about love and whatnot.

If you want political, you gotta go underground. Narcoleptic Youth has some, Anti-Flag, Naked Aggression, Agent Orange, Aus Rotten, Civil Disobedience, Conflict, Defiance, Subhumans, UK Subs, The Unseen, or Oi Polloi. There are a lot of very political bands, but not all of them are.

Aaron.m
02-16-2006, 05:27 PM
most of those you have chosen i wouldn't class as punk but my favourite is the ramones

escobert
02-16-2006, 06:05 PM
See, half my rpblem with punk is, I don't want to hear political music. I hate politics enough already, I don't want to hear music about it either :p

metro
02-16-2006, 06:42 PM

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-16-2006, 07:11 PM
GOLDFINGER!!! :exdee: thes guys rock.

marc
02-20-2006, 09:36 PM
ok so i decided to read some of it

OMG YOU ARE LIKE SO PUNK!!!11WHAT METAL BANDS DO U LIKE!!

i remember your kind from high school....

Don't you get high and mighty, you have a friggin skate complany logo as your avator.

metro
02-21-2006, 03:37 PM

Project G
02-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Misfits, Green Day (Old stuff), My Chemical Romance (They were punk!), Goldfinger, Fall Out Boy, Aiden, Blink 182 and some more that I can't think of at the time being

Momiji
02-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Misfits, Green Day (Old stuff), My Chemical Romance (They were punk!), Goldfinger, Fall Out Boy, Aiden, Blink 182 and some more that I can't think of at the time being

Same here, except I've never heard Misfits or Goldfinger. I'm more into emo music anyway.

metro
02-22-2006, 06:40 PM