PDA

View Full Version : Chalkboards

Trumpet Thief
02-12-2006, 10:20 PM
chaos: Yeah, a random topic indeed.

Rubedo: You notice how Elementary schools have to use chalkboards? Even though the sound can be VERY annoying sometimes, and if you get the thought of someone scratching the chalkboard (I hope I got that thought into yer head), it can be very annoying.

chaos: Anyways, why can't they switch over to those white boards that use markers, like the ones in University? :D

themagicroundabout
02-12-2006, 10:22 PM
In my school there is a lot of variation between the classrooms.
Some have whiteboards, some blackboards.
This all helps to make the day more fun and exciting for students! :)

RSL
02-12-2006, 10:24 PM
In my high school they had all the white dry erase boards. And I graduated there almost 9 years ago (:() I think your school is behind the times!

Reles
02-12-2006, 10:26 PM
White boards are more expensive and back then my school couldn't afford them. But now we're filling our school with white boards, I don't think I see a classroom anywhere with a chalkboard.

Psychotic
02-12-2006, 10:27 PM
In some of the classrooms in my old school, they were too cheap to get an actual blackboard, so they just painted part of the wall black, put some wood around it to make it look real, and there we have it.

Trumpet Thief
02-12-2006, 10:28 PM
In some of the classrooms in my old school, they were too cheap to get an actual blackboard, so they just painted part of the wall black, put some wood around it to make it look real, and there we have it.

chaos: Beautiful.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-12-2006, 10:29 PM
They still use chalkboards in some of my University classes...

Anaisa
02-12-2006, 10:33 PM
They got rid of all the chalkboards at my primary school in about 1997. Although when I got to high school most of the classes still had chalkboards. Chalkboards are more fun though, because you can use the eraser to beat/wipe chalk dust on people.

Freya
02-12-2006, 10:34 PM
When i was in elementary they ahd to remove all the chalkboards. There was a popular craze going around with the kids. They thought that you were cool if you snorted chalk.

Trumpet Thief
02-12-2006, 10:35 PM
When i was in elementary they ahd to remove all the chalkboards. There was a popular craze going around with the kids. They thought that you were cool if you snorted chalk.

chaos: I remember the first time I snorted chalk... :(

Freya
02-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Yeah then they changed to white boards and all those kids went crazy for huffing dry erase markers.

Shoden
02-12-2006, 10:46 PM
The fun in scratching chalkboards, it makes my nails feel horrible but it's cool.

Jess
02-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Man, the noise! THE NOISE! :weep:

Skarr
02-12-2006, 11:21 PM
My old high school had a mixture of both the white and blackboards. However, I was surprised that they got the white eraser boards. I mean, they were trying to get a school bus for nearly 14 years. To my knowledge, they still don't have one. I just believe that they're to cheap to buy one. They'd rather build another office for records. They've already got two.

Faris
02-12-2006, 11:32 PM
There are only a few classes in my school that use White Boards. All the other teachers just complain about the chalk dust. :)

-N-
02-12-2006, 11:36 PM
100% of my college classes are taught on a chalkboard. I don't mind it.

Mo-Nercy
02-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Three years when I went back to my primary school for the work experience program, I noticed that all the boards were still chalkboards.

My high school began switching over to whiteboards about 4 years ago. By the time I graduated, I think every room had a whiteboard in it.

Miriel
02-13-2006, 12:01 AM
Middle School through High School all used white boards. University uses white boards + powerpoint presentation.

My cousin's elementary school uses white boards. I think RSL is right about your school being behind the times.

Rye
02-13-2006, 12:41 AM
For some bizarre reason, Science and Math rooms have white board, and History and English rooms have chalk boards. xD

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-13-2006, 12:59 AM
chaos: Yeah, a random topic indeed.

Rubedo: You notice how Elementary schools have to use chalkboards? Even though the sound can be VERY annoying sometimes, and if you get the thought of someone scratching the chalkboard (I hope I got that thought into yer head), it can be very annoying.

chaos: Anyways, why can't they switch over to those white boards that use markers, like the ones in University? :D
ok, what's with the two ppl thing?

anyways, guess what? there are these new things out called smart boards. there awesome. chalkboards suck.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-13-2006, 01:09 AM
Smartboards are cool, my old High School has one.

Trumpet Thief
02-13-2006, 01:14 AM

anyways, guess what? there are these new things out called smart boards. there awesome. chalkboards suck.

Rubedo: As you can see, we are schizophrenic.

chaos: *waves*

Albedo: *laughs maniacally*

Trowa: *sits and stares and sits and stares*

rubah
02-13-2006, 01:16 AM
They have more chalkboards at Arkansas Tech University than they do at my school. There's several in just one of the ATU buildings whereas at PSD I can think of one. Which was my fourth grade classroom. We got to clap the erasers if we were good!

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-13-2006, 01:22 AM
Rubedo: As you can see, we are schizophrenic.

chaos: *waves*

Albedo: *laughs maniacally*

Trowa: *sits and stares and sits and stares*
ok. i am too dumb to know what schizophrenic is. what is it?

Momiji
02-13-2006, 01:30 AM
ok. i am too dumb to know what schizophrenic is. what is it?

Schizophrenia- Mental condition where someone has multiple personalities.

Anyway, My school has mostly chalkboards. Though a few classes have the white ones.

Jess
02-13-2006, 01:34 AM
The primary schools around here, mostly still have chalkboards. However the highschools & colleges have whiteboards and the smart boards (the powerpoint ones!). I think the primary schools are just cheap. :(

nik0tine
02-13-2006, 02:22 AM
I've never, ever seen a chalkboard in my life. All schools around here use whiteboards, and thank god for that!

escobert
02-13-2006, 02:56 AM
Wow my school is REALLY poor and cheap and we still had whiteboards in every room in all the schools. Hell we ran out of paper durring the year. Several times xD. How sad is that. And Teachers would fight over markers.

Awesomeman
02-13-2006, 03:10 AM
None of my classes had blackboards. Some of the classes did in elementery school, but I was never in any of those classes. Since I've been homeschooled since 7th grade, I don't know what the highschools use :confused:

Neco Arc
02-13-2006, 04:49 AM
i wish my high school had permanent chalk...

Yuffie514
02-13-2006, 08:32 AM
white boards + markers are much better. i had asthma when i was young and chalk dust is a hazard.

Ashi
02-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Only my primary school had the chalk and it was problematic for people with asthma and other allergies. My middle school and high school (and college) had those white boards with the markers and it's better in my opinion. The thought of scartching a blackboard drives me nuts and touching chalk also gives me weird tendancies (washing my hands over and over again/coughing/sneezing).

Boosk
02-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Schizophrenia- Mental condition where someone has multiple personalities.

Actually, thats Split Personnality Syndrom...Schizophrenia=mental condition where they hear voices, eratic behaviour and sometimes visual halusionations (ok, I can't spell it...).... (sorry, did Psychology at AS level).

ANYWAY...ahem...Primary school was all cheap painted blackboards on wood propped up. Secondary School mixture of both white and black boards, College all white boards and Uni all white boards...*phew*.
I like blackboards anyway. I love the smell of chalk.

Kagga:love:

Shaun
02-13-2006, 11:37 AM
I think in the exam halls of my secondary school, they used chalkboards. They mainly used whiteboards though, and the only time I can remember the frequent use of chalkboards is my old primary school...

blackmage_nuke
02-13-2006, 11:49 AM
I dont like the name blackboard, its green!!! dark green!!! really REALLY dark green!!! cant you people see that!? how can they mistake black for green!? Its madness i tell you!:Oo: or atleast all the chalkboards I've come across are.

And i like whiteboards, if you write on them using spit on your finger its hard to rub out, mix it with some whiteboard marker residue and you have a message that will last for eternity (or untill the board it properly cleaned)

Jess
02-13-2006, 12:17 PM
I dont like the name blackboard, its green!!! dark green!!! really REALLY dark green!!! cant you people see that!? how can they mistake black for green!? Its madness i tell you!:Oo: or atleast all the chalkboards I've come across are.

Some are black, though. Atleast they were at my primary school! :)

Ashi
02-13-2006, 03:27 PM

We had some black ones. Well, more gray I guess.

StarlightAngel
02-13-2006, 03:35 PM
My school's too poor to have all whiteboards XD;; We just hang up a whiteboard on the wall over part of the blackboard and then use the blackboard that isn't covered for something else XD;;

In homeroom, all we use the blackboard for is what's going on during the day, and who owes money/how much money for leaving stuff behind in the classroom o.o;

Ah, right, the newer people wouldn't know about Trumpet Thief and his multiple personalities...

Shlup
02-13-2006, 03:43 PM
All the elementary schools around here have white boards.

Last quarter my university opened up a new building with all this fancy equipment and projectors and stuff. And chalk boards. xD

They're easier to read. The glare on white boards makes me have to wear my glasses.

mooglebunni608
02-13-2006, 04:56 PM
in my elementary school they had a chalkbored and a dry erase board!
Luxury xP

bennator
02-13-2006, 06:01 PM
MY elementary schools all had chalkboards, as did my old middle school. When they built the new one, they put in white boards, which I think suck. My High School used chalkbaords, as have all the classrooms I've been in here at college, but I've mostly been in buildings as old as my father, so I'm not suprised.

Zeldy
02-13-2006, 06:36 PM
elementary is the same as Primary, yes? :3
We had chalk for while in my primary school, I think xD I really cannot remember. I think we had them in the old school.. and when they built the new one It got all new everything.. I think.

We have white boards here in Secondary. God, teachers are so lazy these days, they do everything with powerpoint and just project it onto a white board.

SilverWind
02-13-2006, 09:42 PM
For some bizarre reason, Science and Math rooms have white board, and History and English rooms have chalk boards. xD

That's exactly how it goes in my school. :p

Yuna_wannabe
02-14-2006, 01:51 AM
In my high school they had all the white dry erase boards. And I graduated there almost 9 years ago (:() I think your school is behind the times!

HeHe ...we still have chalkboards...:riiight:

Momiji
02-14-2006, 02:54 AM
Actually, thats Split Personnality Syndrom...Schizophrenia=mental condition where they hear voices, eratic behaviour and sometimes visual halusionations (ok, I can't spell it...).... (sorry, did Psychology at AS level).

Kagga:love:

Meh, whatever. I'm taking Psychology next year so I'll know more about what I'm talking about then. :D

kikimm
02-14-2006, 07:50 PM
All the classrooms at my school have white boards, and I hate it. I like the way chalk boards look a lot better, for almost no reason at all. I don't like the markers that stink up the room when whiteboards are around either. :(