PDA

View Full Version : Rubicante ~ The "e" at the end has made him into an idiot.

feioncastor
02-14-2006, 06:07 AM
Rubicant was a worthy opponent on the SNES FFII. He was tough enough, and he even healed you before the battle.

As I recall, simply to mess with you, he'd close his cloak and cast Ice 2 on himself, healing himself. Simply out of spite.

But now, on FF4 Advance, he's "Rubicante", with an "e" at the end.

And now, when you cast Shiva on him while his cloak is open, he counters by casting Blizzara (Ice 2) -- on himself.

That's right. Instead of waiting itll his cloak is closed and healing himself, he actually counters your move by attacking himself.

Score one for Square-Enix.

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
02-14-2006, 11:09 AM
... umm...

Xalioniaf
02-14-2006, 01:23 PM
So...you're saying that Rubicant is better than Rubicant'ay', or...what?

Behemoth
02-14-2006, 03:35 PM
I've noticed that Rubicante is easier than Rubicant. I was able to cast Ice 3/Blizzaga on him while he had his cape up and still have it do 9999 damage, rather than healing him. Also, he doesn't use glare nearly as much, which was pretty much his only source of real damage. I thought this was supposed to be the 'hard version', but a lot of the encounters seem nerfed.

DJZen
02-14-2006, 05:41 PM
This is FFIVA, not FFIV. FFIVA was nerfed in general. If you want to fight Rubicante at his original difficulty, play the PS1 version. Also, the e was there in the original Japanese "hardtype" version. His name, Rubicante, comes from Dante's Inferno, where he is one of the 4 emperors of hell. The same is true for the other 3 elemental lords (Scarmilione, Barbariccia, and Cagnazzo). They're supposedly Italian, but they don't seem to translate well.

feioncastor
02-14-2006, 06:37 PM
I like their SNES names best, because I know them best.

But no, you're right about Rubicante's difficutly on the PS1. I have it, and that one is much harder. As in the freaking Dark Elf. He is ridiculous on the PS1.

I've noticed on the GBA version, the enemies dont' have turns as often.

DJZen
02-14-2006, 09:31 PM
FFIVA is based on "hardtype", as opposed to Easytype or FFIIus. Well... technically it's based on the WSC version of FFIV, but that itself is based on Hardtype. It's important to note this because it means that it uses the same items and abilities as hardtype. However, the game HAS been made easier. Rubicante's newfound self loathing is probably a glitch.

Tavrobel
02-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Seems that FFIVA is one gigantic glitch, at least from all the problems I have heard about it.

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
02-15-2006, 01:15 AM
I would imagine IV Advance would be harder then the SNES version

The Devourer Of Worlds
02-15-2006, 03:03 AM
Let's hope they don't cock up FFV:A as much as they did FFIV:A. Unlike FFIV, FFV had a battle system worth giving a damn about.

I don't think it's possible to screw up the FFVI system more than they already have, so I'm rather indifferent to that...

boys from the dwarf
02-16-2006, 11:42 AM
the E at the end suits him more. its suits his personality more i think. rubicante is a realy cool enemy though, its like on series 2 of star trek vogager where i wanted the enemy to win because they were so polite and cool. rubicante is easily one of the coolest FF4 enimies and the E at the end doesnt make much difference.

Roogle
02-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Most of the enemies were a lot easier. I'd just say that it was due to the programming conversions that had to be made while porting the title.

I don't think they intentionally made Rubicante harder or easier.

Rengori
02-18-2006, 02:18 AM
Let's hope they don't cock up FFV:A as much as they did FFIV:A. Unlike FFIV, FFV had a battle system worth giving a damn about.

I don't think it's possible to screw up the FFVI system more than they already have, so I'm rather indifferent to that...
How'd they screw up FFIVA's? It's pretty much the same as any other FF only with 5 people. And why do you dislike FFVI's battle system? It was rather straightforward except for the Blitz explanation at the beggining.

As for the E at the end, who the hell cares how it's spelled? I could care less.

The Devourer Of Worlds
02-18-2006, 02:28 AM
There are several programming flaws with FFIV:A. Apart from the multiple bugs (such as characters ATB bars charging twice, guard not working etc), they didn't implement the new ATB system properly. They seemed to only increase the speed of PCs rather than enemies, thus you can get in a hell of a lot more attacks than you could in say, the Chronicles edition. This makes the game ridiculously easy; I was able to get through most random encounters with the attack command and bosses that used to be hard due to timed attacks (Demon Wall, Odin etc) are complete pushovers.

The main flaw with FFVIs battle system is that the evasion stat doesn’t actually do anything. Due to a bug, Evasion is now worked out on Magic Evasion instead. Thus evasion boosting equipment is pointless and darkness doesn’t actually affect game play. So yeah; I will be surprised if they manage to screw up the FFVI battle system more than they already have.

Rengori
02-18-2006, 02:36 AM
So.. just play the Chronicles version of FFIV is what you're saying about that. You don't seem to make any arguments saying that they screwed it up the first time, unlike what you previously stated. But I can see what you're saying about FFIVA's glitches. I really could care less about them.

And Square probably has noticed the glitches in FFVI during the 12-13 years it's been out and will probably at least try fix those up.

The Devourer Of Worlds
02-18-2006, 02:41 AM
So.. just play the Chronicles version of FFIV is what you're saying about that. You don't seem to make any arguments saying that they screwed it up the first time
They didn't screw it up the first time, it just wasn't very good. The ability system in FFIV is no where near as entertaining as the Job System in FFV.

Rengori
02-18-2006, 02:59 AM
True.

boys from the dwarf
02-23-2006, 04:17 PM
They didn't screw it up the first time, it just wasn't very good. The ability system in FFIV is no where near as entertaining as the Job System in FFV.
true, i love getting maximum stats and abiltys at low levels using strategys usually involving jobs. i supppose rubicante was easier than the original and i would like to fight this orginal version but i dont care because rubicante was still a challenging boss battle.

feioncastor
02-23-2006, 05:11 PM
As for the E at the end, who the hell cares how it's spelled? I could care less.
It was a joke. I know the spelling doesn't matter. I was only saying that he was much harder before he had an "e" at the end.

By the way, you meant "I couldn't care less", not "I could care less".

boys from the dwarf
02-24-2006, 07:43 AM
im quite sure he meant "i could care less." because that still makes sense so there no real reason for it to be " i could'nt care less."

(CECIL120X
03-06-2006, 10:49 PM
dude(or dudett) why are you corrensting the other dude he probably knew what he typed and my evasion for palom and porom is at 99 because of the hero's shields and they defiently are 99% not attacked at all times. Melle attacks are worthless against the little guys.

feioncastor
03-07-2006, 10:37 AM
im quite sure he meant "i could care less." because that still makes sense so there no real reason for it to be " i could'nt care less."
Of course "I could care less" makes sense. It means that you care so much that you could care less.

When you say "I couldn't care less", you're saying that you care so little that there is no way you could care any less than you currently do.

Saying "I could care less" is the same as saying "I care quite a bit" or "I care a substantial amount".