PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo announces DS Opera web browser and more!

Yamaneko
02-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Confirming our original report, the Opera Web browser add-on has been confirmed for DS. In addition to this, the browser will not be firmware. It is also now known that the forthcoming Nintendo DS web browser will fully utilize the properties of the portable device. Web pages on the DS will span both screens of the handheld, with the touch screen functioning for forms of input. The browser will also fully recognize stylus movements associated with the touch screen in order to adjust the viewing angle of the bottom screen.

The Opera software is currently slated to release in Japan during the month of June at the price of 3800 yen, roughly $30, and will include ATOK Kanji conversion software.
I'm just wondering how pages will be cached considering the DS's limited memory capabilities.

Conforming with our previous story, Nintendo has also showcased plans for a TV tuner device for the DS.The widely anticipated 1Seg Digital TV Card add-on will simply occupy the standard Nintendo DS game slot. Thanks to gaming-forum legend Jonnyram, we can now see the actual TV Card (below) inserted into several DS units.

However, knowing that 1seg is a mobile terrestrial digital audio/video broadcasting service in Japan, it may seem that the TV Card may be available for Japanese consumers only. Whether or not Nintendo Ltd. has decided to bring this add-on to the United States remains to be seen.
Don't really care about this. It probably won't come out here anyway.

Other points of note regarding the conference:

* The New Super Mario Bros. game will be released in Japan this May.
* Tetris DS will sell at a budget price.
* Calligraphy Training is coming to the DS, doing for the hand what Brain Training did for the mind.
* New footage of Xenosaga Episode 1-2 and Children of Mana was shown.
* Super Robot Wars, Dynasty Warriors and Winning Eleven 9, oh my! The last two will be using the Wi-Fi connection.
SMB: DS in May (Japan)!

Discuss.

Maxico
02-15-2006, 06:03 PM
I'm sure if the PSP got the browser after the DS people would be up in arms.

Nobody cares when it's nintendo though.

Looking at this picture (http://ninwifi.com/opera/3.jpg) it seems a little more cumbersome than a firmware upgrade.

On the other hand the stylus (http://ninwifi.com/opera/1.jpg) would be a big asset.

Samuraid
02-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Yeah, just noticed that on slashdot.

Will the screens be large enough?

KentaRawr!
02-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Spanning BOTH screens? That might get a little annoying if the browser uses some of the DS's screen specific functions. Like the bottom screen being a touch screen. o.o

Ashi
02-16-2006, 07:17 AM
I just don't get browsing on portable devices x_x everything's so small and awkward.

DMKA
02-16-2006, 07:31 AM
Wow, now they're on the whole "Lets make our system do everything besides playing games that are worth a crap!" kick too? Way to fail Nintendo...I thought you were better than that.

ljkkjlcm9
02-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Wow, now they're on the whole "Lets make our system do everything besides playing games that are worth a crap!" kick too? Way to fail Nintendo...I thought you were better than that.

I'd like to note that a lot of this other DS stuff, like downloading music/movies and stuff that plays on the DS , is not made by nintendo, but third parties, I'm not sure about all these things, I just know the music/movie/.exe files thing that is coming out is a third party

THE JACKEL

Maxico
02-16-2006, 03:27 PM

Wait, so you oppose optional additional content?

I really can't see why anybody would.