PDA

View Full Version : Biothics: Cryogenics

Auragaea
02-17-2006, 12:18 PM
For my bioethics project, I need to interview people to see how they feel on a certain biology issue, such as abortion, cloning, etc. I’m doing Cryogenics, the act of freezing legally dead people in hopes that the cryonists in the future can restore them to life, youth, and health. Post how you feel about Cryogenics, whether you support or oppose this issue.

Boosk
02-17-2006, 01:59 PM
I wanna be frozen!!
Me me me!!!

Kagga:love:

Resha
02-17-2006, 02:09 PM
I'd oppose this issue. If they're dead, the cryonists of the future would have to be gods, magicians or complete wackos to be able to restore them to life. Someone would have needed to discover the Fountain of Youth. Every single under-developed country would need to have good healthcare so that their poor dead people aren't lacking in health when they're revived.

In the meantime, many of the frozen dead would melt thanks to global warming and the ineffectiveness of all the Kyoto Protocols in the world. If that ever happened, it'd just be kinda...nasty. Let's not forget that huge expenses will be incurred, for something that will never probably happen in the proprietor's lifetime. I don't think it's worth it.

Levian
02-17-2006, 02:11 PM
This is something Donald Trump will do. We'll never be rid of his awful haircut.

Rusty
02-17-2006, 02:12 PM
I oppose the issue. I think it's impossible to do. I agree with everything Resha said.

Lost Number
02-17-2006, 02:22 PM
I think it should be done. Not because it is possible, but because it will enrich our knoledge of the field.

Levian
02-17-2006, 02:31 PM
I think it should be done. Not because it is possible, but because it would be an awesome idea for reality TV.

Angellights
02-17-2006, 03:01 PM
It depends on how the glyco receptor proteins are enabled with their allosteric inhibitors before sending enzyme complexes to the golgi apparatus.....or something @_@
I don't know, I hate biology.

Lost Number
02-17-2006, 03:02 PM
I heard about a golgi complex...somewhere in the cell or summat.

Jebus
02-17-2006, 06:21 PM
The the frozen people want it, then there is nothing wrong with it.

This is where my beliefs in unfettered research, and human rights clash. But so long as the humans being experimented upon give consent, there is nothing wrong with it.

Death Penalty
02-18-2006, 03:00 AM
Do it whatever doesnt effect me. Would I do it.? NO
But I am not gonna force my opinions on others for tis not the christian way.

Slothy
02-18-2006, 01:17 PM
I'd oppose this issue. If they're dead, the cryonists of the future would have to be gods, magicians or complete wackos to be able to restore them to life.

Who says they're actually dead? Just because they're beyond our ability to revive now doesn't mean they'd be beyond our medical capabilities in 100 years or more. It's not playing god, it's science, and if we one day have the ability, then why not? It's not getting into any sketchy ethical territory, it's simply someone wanting the chance to live a little longer. If they've got the money and the technology is there, let them go ahead and try.

Giga Guess
02-18-2006, 03:55 PM
I just can't help but think....someone who's dead, Year 2006, not just waking up, but RESURRECTED in year....iunno, 4999,,,,,I don't know about you guys, but I'd be disoriented, and I'd be scared as hell.

Resha
02-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Who says they're actually dead? Just because they're beyond our ability to revive now doesn't mean they'd be beyond our medical capabilities in 100 years or more. It's not playing god, it's science, and if we one day have the ability, then why not? It's not getting into any sketchy ethical territory, it's simply someone wanting the chance to live a little longer. If they've got the money and the technology is there, let them go ahead and try.
I want you to promise me there'll be the technology, and the ability, and that the entire human race hasn't disintegrated by then. :p Say it definitively.

They'll be dead because the person who started this thread says they'll be dead. I'm just going with that. :greenie:

Madame Adequate
02-18-2006, 04:09 PM
I want you to promise me there'll be the technology, and the ability, and that the entire human race hasn't disintegrated by then. :p Say it definitively.

They'll be dead because the person who started this thread says they'll be dead. I'm just going with that. :greenie:

If that has happened, then they won't get revived. Seeing as they're dead for the duration of cryo, I somehow doubt they'll care.

Where did you get your earlier global warming comment from, by the way...? We don't just jam them into the nearest ice sheet.

Anyway, I have no problem with this. It's a tricky one, but like almost everything else, it'll probably be solved by nanotechnology. The main problem - more than the things people died of, in many cases - is that cells get severely damaged when frozen. The water in them expands, causing them to rupture. This is very bad mojo, and (To my knowledge) we can't repair such damage at this time.

Disorientation is a factor, but I'd wager that when people get brought back that they do get some education in their new time zone. I'd do it, not so much to extend my life as to see the future.

Resha
02-18-2006, 04:13 PM
If that has happened, then they won't get revived. Seeing as they're dead for the duration of cryo, I somehow doubt they'll care.

Where did you get your earlier global warming comment from, by the way...? We don't just jam them into the nearest ice sheet.
Then there's no point doing it, right? Waste of money, time and effort. It sounds impossible anyway.

Oh, I made that up! :D Just like everything else. I don't know anything about this, but it seems logical to think that ice could melt due to - if not global warming - other reasons, anyways. I realise that the temperatures will be monitered et al. But see above for that.

I just don't see the point of doing all of this when there's no guarantee that it will work.

RPJesus
02-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Because one day we may be able to revive them doesn't change the fact that they're dead. They're dead, they're dead.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it because it's unlikely (I mean that unliklyness doesn't make it suck). I suppose it's worth working on because, as the Quartermaster said, it's expanding our knowledge (though, to be honest, there are way more important things).

It's a bit of a tricky subject. What's wrong with bringing the dead back, if we can do it? But perhaps it'll make people even stupider. We'll have even less respect for life and we might be pretty careless, thinking that our actions don't really matter (of course, that would be stupid people. If they die of a horrible accident they may be brought back, but they'll have to pay the huge expensed and probably be crippled for life).

It being so expensive would probably come back to the same thing (thta stuff does)- murdering starving foreigners to get cash to cling on to your own life. People are selfish enough already, do we need that? But I guess you can't say for sure that it will be so bad. People abuse everything anyway, and it's unfair to blame that on the scientists.