PDA

View Full Version : Should Final Fantasy...

MJN SEIFER
02-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Does anyone besides me think that FF should include a character who is Homosexual (sp) without making it "funny" and just have a basic character with all the usual stuff with that "type" of character, but he (or she) happens to be gay. And probably have an "Intrest" story to proove the point.

Any homophobic gay bashing in this post WILL BE REPORTED!! as this is meant to be a serious topic.

vampirepiggyhunter7
02-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Sales would go down. I'd buy it, because I'm not a queersmearering Bible thumper. But whatever square ants to do is fine with me. Not so much other people.
You should add a
...whatever option in the pole.

Shin Gouken
02-17-2006, 11:24 PM
I rather don't care. what do i care what sexuality someone is.

if there was a gay character, he/she would fast become known as "the gay one" which would become the most discussed thing in the game and then most likley will sell copies based on the fact it has a gay character. thats not what final fantasy is about.

TheSpoonyBard
02-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Sure, why not? I'd like to see how they engage the subject of homosexual relations with regards to the importance they place on it within the storyline and whether or not they conform to general sterotypes with regards to behaviour, or portray a more realistic interpretation.

I haven't voted because I'm unfamiliar with this 'Slash' story.

ljkkjlcm9
02-18-2006, 12:58 AM
Sure, why not? I'd like to see how they engage the subject of homosexual relations with regards to the importance they place on it within the storyline and whether or not they conform to general sterotypes with regards to behaviour, or portray a more realistic interpretation.

as I've said before, it'd be interesting to see how the story would be played out. As for whether or not they should, I don't think it would really go over well right now, with all the controversy in this country. I have no problem with it being released, but I'm not sure what the reaction would be.

THE JACKEL

The Devourer Of Worlds
02-18-2006, 01:44 AM
As I’ve stated before, I believe that it will be largely Final Fantasy fans that will reject a homosexual character, rather than the general public. FF simply isn’t popular enough to incite a nation-wide uproar; if it wasn’t a main character it probably would go completely unnoticed.

I can’t imagine that there would be much of a problem in Japan with this sort of thing. The majority of popular anime now days tend to include at least one homosexual character; including them in video games is just a natural progression. There may be some controversy in the West among FF fans, but I really can’t see it escalating past a few angry letters to square and a decrease in sales for 12-15 year old consumers (the latter of which can't possibly be a bad thing).

A & Ω
02-18-2006, 01:44 AM
Who says there isnt one already? Its not like the instruction booklets list sexuality between height and age.

Shin Gouken
02-18-2006, 02:12 AM
I always thought seifer was gay o_0

The Devourer Of Worlds
02-18-2006, 02:18 AM
Gay? Before Squall came on the scene he probably had Rinoa clawing at his back and begging for more…

Slade
02-18-2006, 03:38 AM
I wouldn't mind, as long as it wasn't the main character.

Nick Schovitz
02-18-2006, 03:44 AM
kuja and Vaan all already gay and they are FF characters just look at themhttp://www.life-stream.it/final_fantasy/12/FF_XII_img/Vaan.jpg

rubah
02-18-2006, 07:03 AM
Slash is a fandom term for homosexual romantic pairings. a fanfic with seifer and squall making out furiously would be slash.

How do you know that half the characters in the games already aren't gay? I'm pretty sure the entire population of Costa Del Sol is.

And if it takes a romance to prove that a character is gay, then no, I don't really want any. It's not something I can relate to.

Peter_20
02-18-2006, 10:46 AM
I think that'd be great.
However, this gay character should NOT be some wimp who's running around and falls in love with every damn male life form, and starts crying for everything.
He should be a REAL MAN, with the little difference that he's homosexual.

HowlingMonkey
02-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Didn't we do this a week ago in Brokeback Fantasy? :confused:

The Devourer Of Worlds
02-18-2006, 10:59 AM
That thread died because people are idiots that don't know when to shut the hell up. This is the new and improved version.

Meat Puppet
02-18-2006, 11:20 AM
In my fantasies Selphie is homosexual.

DJZen
02-18-2006, 06:50 PM
In my fantasies, people stop bringing up this subject and mods consider it flamebait.

DeathKnight
02-19-2006, 12:10 AM
no! well if it's a lesbian then woohoo! but no

squall64
02-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Not that I have anything against homosexuality but I don't think ff7 would have been as good if cloud's love triangle was between him barret and cid.

Lychon
02-19-2006, 02:48 AM
That thread died because people are idiots that don't know when to shut the hell up. This is the new and improved version.

Yeah, people were idiots, l o l. As far as making a 'slash' game, that is the choice of the company. It's not a question of if they should or should not make it, it is the question of if they WANT to make it because it is their right and no one is forced to play the game.

-LYCHON

Twilight
02-19-2006, 05:35 AM
Sales will go down, i agree with VPH7. . .
Kuja, Vaan and Seymour have a 'female' look to them...perhaps Square-enix is giving off a hint...that maybe the Main character for their next game will be a homosexual....
'oh gawd this is soo wrong..' some might say...but as long as its SQUARE ENIX, i'll buy it.

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-19-2006, 05:50 AM
Hah, I tipped the poll in the yes favor. :D anyways, it sounds ok. I'd buy it. It doesn't really matter to me. Sounds like a cool idea. And vampirepiggyhunter who had the first post on this thread, the bibly doesn't smear homosexuals. It just says that homosexuality is deemed a sin. Duh...

Death Penalty
02-19-2006, 08:20 AM
The bible smears homsexuality at every chance it gets. Should it have a slash story yes. Of what sex. Female. SWhy cuz it is easier on the eyes than a male slash game.

Setzer Gabianni
02-19-2006, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't mind it, I just think the company would come under fire for it.. =/

~Setzer Gabianni

Qurange
02-19-2006, 10:59 AM
If the character were treated just as any other character, sure. I tend to agree, though, that it probably wouldn't be a big deal, except maybe among a subset of fans. A game is a game, and video games already occupy their own little position in things.

Of course, it's not as if arguments can't be already made that some characters already shown are, as has been mentioned. It'd be fairly easy to present a 'maybe' case for Quistis, for instance, and that's even without the reaching that some slash stories do.

DarkLadyNyara
02-21-2006, 10:26 PM
as I've said before, it'd be interesting to see how the story would be played out. As for whether or not they should, I don't think it would really go over well right now, with all the controversy in this country. I have no problem with it being released, but I'm not sure what the reaction would be.

I can’t imagine that there would be much of a problem in Japan with this sort of thing. The majority of popular anime now days tend to include at least one homosexual character; including them in video games is just a natural progression. There may be some controversy in the West among FF fans, but I really can’t see it escalating past a few angry letters to square and a decrease in sales for 12-15 year old consumers (the latter of which can't possibly be a bad thing).

Meh, that about covers it.

Llanowar
02-21-2006, 10:38 PM
I guess to be perfectly honest yes and no do not cover the answers. As said earlier there should be an indifferent or I don't really mind either way answer because a lot of ppl have brought up the point that they see nothing wrong with it, however they arent all gung-ho to see it done IMMEDIATELY either. To be perfectly honest Having anyone except the Main character in the capacity will go Virtually if not Totally unnoticed by 99.9% of people and the few that do bring it up will spend all of their time in pointless discussions like were seen in the previous thread which I wouldnt even bother posting in it was so obviously doomed to be a Flamer...pardon the pun :D

Vincentsinnerdemon
02-21-2006, 10:56 PM
this is pretty close

Dreddz
02-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Ive always thought there was gay vibes going on with some of the characters. Dosent bother me too much, if there was an out right gay characters, I would think it would cause some uproar, but I dought it will destroy sales, as long as the game is good, I dont think people will care too much.

Rocket Edge
02-22-2006, 03:28 AM
i voted that there should be, it doest bother me. i wouldnt like the main character to be gay however, because i wouldnt like to be unraveling a gay couples relationship.

DeathKnight
02-22-2006, 03:57 AM
No.

Setzer Gabianni
02-22-2006, 11:20 AM
no! well if it's a lesbian then woohoo! but no

This and your above post does not do anything for you, because it's the kind of response noone can take seriously.

~Setzer Gabianni

Cruise Control
02-22-2006, 11:38 AM
They already did. FF8 DUH.

In all reality, no. The gays would rise in protest if they did it wrong, it'd be nightmare for Public Relations people to sell.

And homophobes woukld be like NOMURA YOU BASTARD CHILD.

As cool as it would be, it'd be bad for buisness in the long run.

DeathKnight
02-23-2006, 06:53 AM
This and your above post does not do anything for you, because it's the kind of response noone can take seriously.

~Setzer Gabianni

Back off little girl. Got a problem with my opinion then look the other way and leave me the hell alone.:irked:

Miriel
02-23-2006, 08:01 AM
FFXI doesn't even allow for same sex marriages which seems ridiculous to me given that the marriage of two characters is a private affair and doesn't affect other players in the slightest. And that makes me sad and frustrated since most of my closest FFXI friends are girls and I'd much rather marry one of the girls rather than one of the guys. So yeah, I find it hard to believe that Squeenix will introduce a 'serious' gay character anytime soon.

Should Final Fantasy have an openly gay character? Sure, absolutely. But it shouldn't be done to make a statement or to shock people or even to play to a certain demographic. A gay character should be created in the same natural process as other characters are created and developed. I wouldn't actively want or not want a gay character, cause it really doesn't matter to me. I would want a good character and a good storyline and whether homosexuality plays into that or not is really secondary.

Loony BoB
02-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Setzer & DeathKnight, post on-topic please and lay off each other. Just because you don't like another person's style of posts doesn't mean you need to post offtopic just to point it out.

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Palindroma, you sayin that guys on FFXI suck or can't be serious enough to marry on an online game or that they aren't good enough for you? If so, then...*sniffle*...you're hurtful :crying2:

Miriel
02-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Palindroma, you sayin that guys on FFXI suck or can't be serious enough to marry on an online game or that they aren't good enough for you? If so, then...*sniffle*...you're hurtful :crying2:
Guys tend to hit on the female players quite a bit. And that's fine for some players, uncomfortable for others. I'd much rather get married for fun with a female player than get involved in something with a guy, especially since I'm not sure my boyfriend would like me to get 'married' to some other dude, even if it's just a game.

~SapphireStar~
02-23-2006, 05:56 PM
I thought Tidus was gay? Kidding! I wouldnt mind a homosexual character, but they have to think of the marketing and maybe the FF market wouldnt embrace it. FF is about love stories fair enough, but from characters of different sex, not same. I dont think it will ever happen.

Cubster
02-23-2006, 05:56 PM
I'd have no problem with gay characters in a FF game. I think it'd be different though there would be a backlash from conservative gamers and parents. Prehaps when intolerance dies down and gay people are more accepted in society, then the green light should be given to have a gay character in a FF game.:)

Since I've never played FFXI before and know nothing about how the game works...CAN two heterosexual players get married? How does that work and what happens?:confused:

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Guys tend to hit on the female players quite a bit. And that's fine for some players, uncomfortable for others. I'd much rather get married for fun with a female player than get involved in something with a guy, especially since I'm not sure my boyfriend would like me to get 'married' to some other dude, even if it's just a game.
Hmmm...I see. But that still is kind of an insult.

Miriel
02-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Hmmm...I see. But that still is kind of an insult.
Why is it an insult? I have developed closer relationships with the girls in this game than the guys and I would be much more comfortable marrying one of them than one of the guys. It's simply a matter of preference.

scooby
02-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Uh, hello?! Cloud and Mukki!!! Remember people - Mukki is actually gay, not just effeminate. FFVII had a lot of gay content.

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Well, it's an insult to me at least.

Miriel
02-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Well, it's an insult to me at least.
Well that's just mind-boggling, but ok.

I'm not really sure how prevelant homosexuality is in the Japanese culture. Is it widely accepted there? Taboo? With gay advocacy and acceptance continuing to rise here in the States and in Europe, I can see a video game coming out in the near future that features a openly gay character. But Japanese games and the Final Fantasy series won't see a gay character until homosexuality itself becomes at least mildly accepted in the Japanese culture. I'm not sure if that's happened yet.

lady yunalesca
02-24-2006, 11:40 PM
yes, i can just see cloud mincing through midgar .............

"i'm super, thanks for asking" *sings*

auhin
02-25-2006, 12:25 AM
Nah, it will probably mess up the whole game. People would praise thegame for "breaking down boundaries" instead of enjoying it for the gameplay. And btw, the Bible smears every sin with equal smearness. it doesn't smear any sins more than others. Just wanted to point that out.

scooby
02-25-2006, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by auhin
Nah, it will probably mess up the whole game. People would praise the game for "breaking down boundaries" instead of enjoying it for the gameplay. Hey, it works for the "Shadow Hearts" and "Metal Gear Solid" series. Why not?

Llednar Twem
02-25-2006, 03:03 AM
Yah, FF VIII already has one!
Hint: He's a Squall-hater

scooby
02-25-2006, 06:03 AM
Originally Posted by Llednar Twem
Yah, FF VIII already has one!
Hint: He's a Squall-hater Hmmm.... Let's see.... That guy in Fisherman's Horizon who tells Squall that he doesn't approve of mercenaries? He was, like, SO gayz!!!