PDA

View Full Version : Favourite videogame music composer.

A & Ω
02-18-2006, 01:35 AM
Lets try to name someone besides old Nobuo. Yasunori Mitsuda(xenogears,xenosaga episode I, Chrono Cross/trigger) is very good and I really enjoy some of Yo/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifaka Hirotas stuff(shadow hearts series) and Noriyuki Iwadare(Grandia series, Lunar series, Radiata stories).

Other composers you might know are Yoko shimomura(Kingdom hearts series, parasite eve, I think she did paper mario)
Hitoshi Sakimoto(Brath of fire V, FFXII, FFTactics,Tactics advance, vagrant story)
Motoi Sakuraba(all of the "Tales" series except Legendia which was the only good tales soundtrack, Star Ocean series, Baiten Kaitos,Golden Sun games)
Michiko Naruke(Wild Arms series)

Slothy
02-18-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm just going to have to give a nod to Nobuo since he is my favorite.

Moving on to others though. I love what I've heard of Hitoshi Sakimoto. I've only played Tactics though, so I haven't heard any of his other work. I'm looking forward to FFXII giving me the chance though.

Yasunori is another one for me, but it seems to me that once he gets out of the Chrono series, I don't care for his stuff. Granted I haven't played Xenogears, but I didn't care for the Xenosaga soundtrack at all. I may want to go back and give it another shot since I can't even remember any of the music anymore, but the fact that I can't remember any of those songs just kind of shows me it had no real impact on me. The Chrono games have absolutely brilliant soundtracks though. When the man's on, he's got it.

Dreddz
02-19-2006, 11:11 PM
This kinda isnt fair, My favourite, hands down is Nobuo.
My second favourite is Yasunori as Chrono Trigger and Xenogears had great music, the Forest theme in Chrono trigger is amazing....

vampirepiggyhunter7
02-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Other than Nobuo, Motoi Sakuraba. Resume:
Games

For Wolf Team (subsidiary of Telenet):

Tales of Phantasia (published by Namco)
Tales of Destiny (published by Namco)
Tales of Eternia (published by Namco)
Tales of Destiny 2 (published by Namco)
Arcus Odyssey
Arcus Spirits (published by Sammy)
Arcus I-II-III
Arcus II: Silent Symphony
Arcus 3
Earnest Evans
Anet Futatabi
El Viento
Maneuver Cepter Granada
Goh
Goh 2
Zan II Spirits
Zan III Spirits
Zan: Yaksa Enbukyoku
Zan: Kagerou no Toki
Zan: Youen no Jidai (published by Taito)
Zan Gear
Fhey Area: Century of the Gods
Sol-Feace (Sol-Deace)
Devastator
Final Zone Senki: AXIS
Hiouden
Hiouden 2
Hiouden: Maou Tachi to no Chikai
Cybernetic Empire
D - European Mirage
NikoČ
For Telenet:

Ace wo Nerae!
Tenshi no Uta: Shiroki Tsubasa no Inori
Parlor Parlor Series
For Namco Tales Studio (subsidiary of Namco and Telenet):

Tales of Symphonia
For Camelot Software Planning:

Golden Sun (published by Nintendo)
Golden Sun: The Lost Age (published by Nintendo)
Shining the Holy Ark (published by Sega)
Shining Force III: Scenario 1 (published by Sega)
Shining Force III: Scenario 2 (published by Sega)
Shining Force III: Scenario 3 (published by Sega)
Beyond the Beyond (published by Sony)
Minna no Golf (aka Hotshot Golf, Everybody's Golf) (published by Sony)
Mario Golf N64/GB (published by Nintendo)
Mario Tennis N64/GB (published by Nintendo)
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (published by Nintendo)
Mario Golf Advance Tour (published by Nintendo)
Mario Power Tennis
For tri-Ace:

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (published by Enix)
Star Ocean (published by Enix)
Star Ocean: The Second Story (published by Enix)
Star Ocean: Blue Sphere (published by Enix)
Valkyrie Profile (published by Enix)
For tri-Crescendo:

Baten Kaitos (published by Namco)

SilverWind
02-20-2006, 02:16 AM
Nobuo is my hero.

crono_logical
02-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Sakuraba for me :p In general though, I find the OSTs he does either contain almost all mediocre tracks, or almost all very good tracks - there doesn't seem to be an in-between :p

kikimm
02-21-2006, 02:29 AM
Akira Yamaoka is a god.

Seriously.

Behold the Void
02-21-2006, 03:18 AM
I like Mitsuda moreso than Nobuo, actually, although Nobuo has some great stuff.

Yuki Kajiura did Xenosaga II and thus I am counting her as well. I love her music. Even if in the setting it was in, it was terribly inappropriate.

yuno
02-21-2006, 07:49 AM
mitsuda.small two of pieces was so great,especially with that harp played by anne-marile o'farrel.

Ishin Ookami
02-26-2006, 02:11 AM
mitsuda.small two of pieces was so great,especially with that harp played by anne-marile o'farrel.

Though my favorite is without a doubt Nobuo, I have a soft spot in my heart for mitsuda-san as well.

Or "Yas" as Joanne Hogg reffers to him. Joanne Hogg is the lead singer for irish gospel group Iona (great group, great music, and she has a wonderful voice) who Mitsuda discovered while listening to CD's trying to find a english singer for the xenogears vocal tracks. She returned to do Xenosaga I as well, and I was VERY disappointed not to see her follow up with Ep II. Joanne has a great voice, and having listened to Meibus (japanese version of Small of two pieces) I can tell you Joanne just destroyed her japanese vocal coutnerpart, and not bringing her back was a huge loss to the series. Maybe the creators will realize their mistake and bring both mitsuda-san and Joanne Hogg back for part III.

Zeromus_X
02-26-2006, 04:10 AM
Nobuo and Sakuraba.

I thought the music in Golden Sun sounded like the music in SO3! Well, you learn something new every day :p

Rase
02-26-2006, 06:22 AM
Kenji Yamamoto, who co-composed the soundtracks to Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. I feel he just does an excellent job of pulling me into the game even more.

Silent Warrior
02-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Jeremy Soule. :shifty:

Oh, don't go forgetting Jack Wall or Tim Larkin, now.

~SapphireStar~
03-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Nobuo is my favourite and also the guys who create the Silent Hill and Shadow Hearts music. Really shakes me up!

Timber Maniac
03-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Like many other people have said, Nobuo is the best videogame composer, hands down. And like many other people have already said, Yasunori Mitsuda is in his league. Motoi Sakuraba is a hit or miss with me. Mitsuda and Sakuraba are responsible for the greatest world map tunes ever (600 A.D. for Chrono Trigger and Act II for Tales of Phantasia).

Noriko Matsueda is also wroth a nod. Bahamut Lagoon had one of the best OST's I have ever heard. There's just something so grand and cinematic about it. Hitoshi Sakimoto operates in a similar style, so I shall also give him a nod.

And how about Yuzo Koshiro of Shenmue?!:choc::choc: That's all I can think of right now.

Markus. D
03-21-2006, 06:21 AM
the Composer of my faveorite Drakengard 2 song ("Exhausted" The Broken Past) Nobuyoshi Sano, it feels truly epic when just stopping to listen to it.

Tetsuya Shibata, Kento Hasegawa. who both composed for devil may cry 3, it really suits the mood with both ambient and battle themes, that true industrial future type music.

The guy who composes for guildwars has some pretty brilliant songs aswell.

but the best is clearly the composer for PN 03.

Yuffie514
03-21-2006, 06:39 AM
i just can't seem to forget Uematsu's music.

Samuraid
03-21-2006, 07:17 AM
I like Mitsuda moreso than Nobuo, actually, although Nobuo has some great stuff.

Yuki Kajiura did Xenosaga II and thus I am counting her as well. I love her music. Even if in the setting it was in, it was terribly inappropriate.
Yeah, Yuki Kajiura did the music for .hack//sign as well, which is definitely among the best OSTs ever written.

Markus. D
03-21-2006, 11:21 PM
I have the Perfect OST for Dot Hack, the composer did a brilliant job.

Vyk
03-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Jeremy Soulle did Guild Wars. And he's an excellent choice in this thread. I heart him for the KOTOR games.

Christophe Heral did the music for Beyond Good and Evil. One of the few games I acquired the soundtrack for.

Ramza Beoulve
03-22-2006, 04:52 AM
Well, is obvius that Nobuo Uematsu.

Also Hitoshi Sakimoto (I just love the music of FFT) and Yoko Shimomura (Legend of Mana, I love that game)

Timber Maniac
03-24-2006, 07:15 AM
The composer for .hack//sign was also responsible for the music featured in the anime series Noir. Both featured amazing soundtracks.

crono_logical
03-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Ooh, forgot about Kajiura Yuki :p I tend to think of her more as an anime OST artist than for games though :p

Raven Nox
03-26-2006, 06:16 AM
Probably Motoi Sakuraba, mostly for all the Star Ocean soundtracks and the Baten Kaitos soundtrack (soon to be Baten Kaitos II as well, when I finally get to listein to the soundtrack. If it's anything like Baten Kaitos' soundtrack, I'll love it.)

And since others have said Yuki Kajiura, I will also. I know her mostly for her anime music as well, but it's wonderful music, all the same.

Markus. D
03-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Jeremy Soulle did Guild Wars. And he's an excellent choice in this thread. I heart him for the KOTOR games.

Christophe Heral did the music for Beyond Good and Evil. One of the few games I acquired the soundtrack for.

Jeremy Soul also did the music for Morrowind ES3.... I much prefered his Guild Wars music now though, especially with the new factions music, it sounds amazing.

Fynn
03-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Well, if you could say that Nobuo is the best composer, then this thread would be boring, since everyone loves him. :mog:
He is the KING o videogame music. Or even more: GOD of videogame music. Yoko Shimomura is, of course, the queen. She is my favorite, besides Nobuo. Yasunori Mitsuda has also composed some nice touch. They're all great, but Nobuo's music somehow reached the bottom of me.

Mythra
03-31-2006, 12:09 AM
Let's see, Nobou Uematsu for sure, Yoko Shimomura, the person who did Shadow of the Colossus (Kow Otani I think?), and not sure if you'll count this or not, but Yoko Kanno is amazing (did music for the Ghost in the Shell: SAC series). All have done really great stuff imho.