PDA

View Full Version : Is FFX worth buying a PS2 for?

Disco
02-19-2006, 01:50 AM
I never got around to buying a PS2 as none of the titles really appealed to me apart from FFX and X-2.
I'm now sitting here re-playing FFIX on my PSX and I'm seriously considering buying a PS2 just for these two games. How does it compare to previous FF games?
Thx.

Khaotic
02-19-2006, 01:56 AM
X - definately, especially if you're in the area to get international version.

X-2 most people don't like it because they judge it as a girly game, and how annoying it is, etc, but imo I think looking past those things, its actually a decent game, the battle system is sub-par, and the story is also not that bad.

The Devourer Of Worlds
02-19-2006, 02:10 AM
Yes

Disco
02-19-2006, 02:15 AM
International version?
I would be getting the PAL version, whats the difference?

JackNapier
02-19-2006, 02:38 AM
Definently, there's also many other games besides FFX that are good. But if you haven't played FFX yet then don't even think twice just buy it.

Khaotic
02-19-2006, 02:47 AM
International version?
I would be getting the PAL version, whats the difference?
Well, depends how much of a gamer you are, to me international version is a big deal, it has extra optional bosses such as, penance, dark aeons, thats really all I know of, but that alone is enough. PAL does not have those, sadly. Still, FFX PAL is still a great game none-the-less.

mooglebunni608
02-19-2006, 02:50 AM
No, it isn't worth buying a ps2 just for x-x2

But there are other games that are worth it :D

Tavrobel
02-19-2006, 02:54 AM
It would be worth buying FFX and the PS2 just for it, if you have 200 hours to spend. But there are alot of games also on the PS2 worth buying. (*cough* Kingdom Hearts *cough*). And FFX-2, if you are desperate for closure on the plot, but that game destroys the ending that was established in FFX. I recommend buying the PS2 just for FFX. It what, only $170 for console and game? Not only that, if you buy a used game/console that cuts the cost in half, and you can play other great games on PS2.

Khaotic
02-19-2006, 03:00 AM
It would be worth buying FFX and the PS2 just for it, if you have 200 hours to spend. But there are alot of games also on the PS2 worth buying. (*cough* Kingdom Hearts *cough*). And FFX-2, if you are desperate for closure on the plot, but that game destroys the ending that was established in FFX. I recommend buying the PS2 just for FFX. It what, only $170 for console and game? Not only that, if you buy a used game/console that cuts the cost in half, and you can play other great games on PS2.
Agreed, there is also 2 types of PS2's now, a thin version, and a thicker one, thicker is usually cheaper, but its also not for sale anymore(new) unless for some reason the company/seller has some left over in stock.

In other words, I'd personally get the thick PS2 used,probably would cost roughly $100.00USD, and the game, since it was a greatest hit, probably $10.00 used.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=020245

This is the thinner version, new. $150.00 USD

Tavrobel
02-19-2006, 03:02 AM
Agreed, there is also 2 types of PS2's now, a thin version, and a thicker one, thicker is usually cheaper, but its also not for sale anymore(new) unless for some reason the company/seller has some left over in stock.

In other words, I'd personally get the thick PS2 used,probably would cost roughly $100.00USD, and the game, since it was a greatest hit, probably $10.00 used.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=020245

This is the thinner version, new. $150.00 USD

Still less than $170. How awesome.

Ohh, and most of us missed that he said "how does it compare to other FF games". FFX is definitely better than some of them plotwise, but it'll alienate most of the old school gamers who remember FFVI on the good 'ol SNES (it did when it first came out). It is a very good game overall, and falls short of FFVI. Probably equal to FFIV, and FFIII by a small stretch. Definitely better than the PSX series.

O noes! Here come the FFVII fans to peck my eyes out!

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
02-19-2006, 03:11 AM
Yeah Tavrobel Ill peck your eyes out!! Just kidding :riiight:

Khaotic
02-19-2006, 03:12 AM
Oh, and assuming you've never played PS2, be prepared for voice acting.

Zeromus_X
02-19-2006, 03:33 AM
don't forget about all the other ps2 rpgs! DQVIII, Star Ocean 3, Kingdom Hearts, Shadow Hearts, Suidoken IV, ..........................

*half an hour later*

so yeah, you should get a ps2 whenever you can. :cat:

Slade
02-19-2006, 05:44 AM
Final Fantasy X was the only reason I went and bought a PS2. I wasn't dissapointed, and I don't think you will be either :)

rubah
02-19-2006, 05:49 AM
Incidentally enough, my parents *did* buy me a PS2 so I could play ffx.

They also got me the lotr TTT game, but I never played that very far.

The Devourer Of Worlds
02-19-2006, 06:00 AM
Well, depends how much of a gamer you are, to me international version is a big deal, it has extra optional bosses such as, penance, dark aeons, thats really all I know of, but that alone is enough. PAL does not have those, sadly. Still, FFX PAL is still a great game none-the-less.
PAL does have the Dark Aeons etc. It's the NTSC version that doesn't have them.

Setzer Gabianni
02-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Just get it regardless of what we say. It kicks ass, graphically, though I would say the Sphere Grid isn't the most exciting way of making characters stronger.

~Setzer Gabianni

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
02-19-2006, 10:54 AM
WOT KiND OF STUPID QUESTION IS THAT!? of course u shud buy a s2 jus for ffx! that's like sayin "should i get a ps3 just for the ff7 remake!?" of course!!!

D.os
02-19-2006, 03:51 PM
I bought my Ps2 just to play Final Fantasy X.. then I came interested by other games, like: .Hack// series, SSX3, Tekken.. ect.
I think you will regret if you don't buy it.

Hambone
02-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Let's see... I bought a PS2 because my brother occasionally wouldn't let me play his. I also bought it so I could play FFX, FFVIII. FFVII, FFIX, FFX-2, Kingdom Hearts, and others. It would be stupid to buy a PSX when I could just buy a PS2 to play FFVIII, FFVII, and FFIX and play them on that. All it took was to buy a new PS2 from EB games, buy FFX and Kingdom Hearts from my brother (yes, I couldn't just get them from him for free, he made me buy them!), and then buy the PS2 games that I own now. Then, my brother's PS2 broke. I laughed at him. So he doesn't have a PS2 anymore! Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Anyway, yes, buy a PS2 not just for FFX and X-2, but for other great games as well.

JackNapier
02-19-2006, 05:23 PM
WOT KiND OF STUPID QUESTION IS THAT!? of course u shud buy a s2 jus for ffx! that's like sayin "should i get a ps3 just for the ff7 remake!?" of course!!!
Um....I hate to break it to you but that was just a technical demo.

Sain Cai
02-19-2006, 05:53 PM
No game is worth buying a whole system for, not by a longshot.

That said, and what other people have stated before me, you should get a PS2 for other games. Some off the top of my head: Grand Theft Auto, both Vice City & San Andreas; Champions of Norrath and the other one, Call to Arms was it?

Anywho, if you look at it from the perspective of buying a whole system just for a game, you are essentially paying over $120 for a game.

Seto Fett
02-19-2006, 06:05 PM
It depends on how much a FF fan you are. If you really are a big fan of them, then definitely go for it. X and X-2 are great games in my opinion (my favorites actually) and merit a buy. In my personal opinion, I don't believe X-2's ending ruins anything that deals with X's ending. There was already talks of doing a sequel upon X's release (OPM Magazine) and the Fayth stated Tidus would not vanish forever. He would be given a new world to exist in. (Go back and visit all the Chambers of Fayth in X) So, X-2's ending goes right along with X.

Khaotic
02-19-2006, 10:11 PM

That said, and what other people have stated before me, you should get a PS2 for other games. Some off the top of my head: Grand Theft Auto, both Vice City & San Andreas; Champions of Norrath and the other one, Call to Arms was it?

Anywho, if you look at it from the perspective of buying a whole system just for a game, you are essentially paying over $120 for a game.
Valkyrie Profile, ebay.:greenie:

Mirage
02-20-2006, 06:59 PM
No, but Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 is.

Mirage
02-20-2006, 07:03 PM

My GC was worth it for MGS:TTS :). But ofcourse, I got the console bundled with SMK:DD, and it was still a lot cheaper than a PS2, which is less powerful than the GC :p.

a nirvana fan
02-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Yes! buy a PS2 especially for the RPG's...here's a list of great RPG games

-Final Fantasy X
-Final Fantasy X-2
-Dark Chronicle(AKA Dark Cloud 2 in US)
-Grandia II
-Dragon Quest VIII
-Final Fantasy XII(for when it is released)
-Dark Cloud
-Breate Of Fire

There the only ones I can think off right now.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
02-20-2006, 08:38 PM
i know Ubel, jus playin an aeris revival joke, or a cheese weapon joke :D

McLovin'
02-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Yes.

Vincentsinnerdemon
02-21-2006, 12:37 AM
Buy a PS2 for FFX and FFX-2? No way! But I would buy it for Kingdom Hearts and the .Hack series.

Hambone
02-21-2006, 12:40 AM
In short, the answer would be... Hell's Yeah!

MAS82587
02-21-2006, 12:52 AM
absolutly yes, next question.

Rikkugrl12
02-21-2006, 03:03 AM
to me x2 is alot better than x but its only because it dosnt go fast like x2 but hey do wat u want to its yours

tidus_rox
02-25-2006, 03:52 AM
definatley

vampirepiggyhunter7
02-25-2006, 04:02 AM
X, X-2, KH, KH2, XI if youre loaded, XII soon.

Fantasy_Dragon
02-25-2006, 05:58 AM
And the good part is, after you get the PS2 you can still play those games on your PS2, and you could sell your PS1. Though, some PS1 games don't work on the the PS2..

Shinobi
02-25-2006, 06:41 AM
Its the only reason I bought a PS2.

Ashi
02-25-2006, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't buy a PS2 for FFX on its own. It's not worth it for one game, but it could be a start? If you enjoy it you should try other games also.

Reeno the Alchemist
02-25-2006, 11:29 PM
you should most defently buy it><

lady yunalesca
02-26-2006, 01:09 AM
x is definitely worth buying a ps2 for!!! IMO it hold up really well against the others! (my joint fave with VII). There is plenty to do aswell, with the current price of ps2 you could easily get 1 hour of gameplay for every £1 you spend...well worth it at twice the price!! :)

from what i hear though, the new ps2 doesnt play ps1 games, so hang on to your ps1 for now!!! if you do get a ps2 that will play your ps1 games, hang on to the ps1 memory card as you will still need to use it with the ps2! :)

Jessweeee♪
02-27-2006, 11:16 PM
It depends on what you look for in a FF game. Most people like it, though there are a few who don't. In my opinion, it was worth it even if it was the only game I could play. I especially liked the battle music when fighting Yu Yevon.

JohnMcClane
02-28-2006, 12:46 AM
One Christmas I knew I was getting a PS2. (Found the present hide-out) Ever since FF IX I wasn't really keeping up on the FF series. So one day about 3 weeks before Christmas, I looked in EB-Games and saw FFX stapled all over the store. Tons of copies behind the counter. Well, I freaked. :eek: It was all I talked about until Christmas. Lucky for me my parents returned Crazy Taxi and bought FFX. :) Anyways, I wouldn't exactly say that no game is worthing buying a console. Because I bought a Gamecube so I could play the game MGS: Twin Snakes. (Amazing, BTW) Anyways, the PS2 is definitely worth buying for FFX and the upcoming FFXII. :) Of course, their are plenty of games that are just as good. My advice, find a friend that has a PS2 and rent some games that look appealing. Then decide if you really want a PS2 or not. I myself really wasn't a fan of FFX but, the game is definitely worth playing for the cut scenes. :)

Jessweeee♪
02-28-2006, 10:38 PM
The music is phenomenal alone!

Chocobo King
03-05-2006, 12:57 AM
id say ya because X and X-2 are awsome games.

but wats the dif. between an international and us game of X????

JackNapier
03-05-2006, 01:13 AM
id say ya because X and X-2 are awsome games.

but wats the dif. between an international and us game of X????
Extra Bosses.

Death Penalty
03-05-2006, 01:20 AM
No dont buy it for FFX get it for the dvd function the ability to still play your PS1 AND
The millions of better games

Dr. Casey
03-10-2006, 04:18 AM
I'm thinking of getting a Playstation 2 for several different games... I heard that characters in Final Fantasy X don't have general experience levels, though. The traditionalist RPGer in me says that's pretty damn not cool.

boys from the dwarf
03-10-2006, 07:48 AM
X - definately, especially if you're in the area to get international version.

X-2 most people don't like it because they judge it as a girly game, and how annoying it is, etc, but imo I think looking past those things, its actually a decent game, the battle system is sub-par, and the story is also not that bad.
there both worth getting. i dont totally hate FFX-2 but compared to other FFs its pretty poor. i dont think its girly and it not that the enemys some big pink frilly robot. (not being sexist because what kind of girl likes that sort of stuff?)i bought FFX-2 mainly just to complete my collection. its easier than most FFs and i completed it twice in one day so id get other stuff until the only thing you youve got left to buy is FFX-2.

Wuggly Blight
03-10-2006, 01:36 PM
I would say no, X and X-2 are awful noob trite, I think they only made X-2 to hide how crap X was.

Social Moon Firesky
03-11-2006, 04:00 PM
I never got around to buying a PS2 as none of the titles really appealed to me apart from FFX and X-2.

I was in exactly the same boat as you, like, a month ago. In the end, I saved up £60 and bought one, and IT WAS WORTH IT! Now I just have to track down a cheap version of FFX-2, and then I'm done.

rikkupainegoofydonald
03-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Let me buy a PS2 especially for the RPG's...here's a list of great RPG games I need to buy and see.

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X2
Final Fantasy X International
Final Fantasy X2 International + Last Mission
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2

Mirage
03-12-2006, 03:22 PM
What are you going to do with the japanese versions? Look at them?

Rikku_Yuffie_girl
03-20-2006, 09:41 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME ITS FLIPPEN SWEET YOU SHOULD ITS SO COOL YOU WILL LOVE TIDUS AND WAKKA(THEIR BOTH SO HOT):)

DMKA
03-20-2006, 09:58 PM
What are you going to do with the japanese versions? Look at them?
The Internation versions have spoken English dialogue with Japanese subtitles. But you'd still need a PAL or (illegally) modded PS2 to play them.

shyhorse
03-29-2006, 12:27 PM
YES final fantasy x is worth buying a ps2 for thats y i brought mine for ffx but ffx-2 is a poor game