PDA

View Full Version : Football Predictions

Heath
02-19-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm not expecting you to give me a full table quite yet, as it's still early days. But if you had to decide right this second, who would you tip for the following?

The European places.
Bottom three.
FA Cup.
League Cup.

I wouldn't be surprised if the top four stayed as they are, with the possible exception of Spurs dropping to fifth and Arsenal overtaking. I'm rather hoping that Everton can sneak into the European places (our run-in to the end of the season isn't too bad, with only Chelsea and Liverpool being that bad, really), though slightly more realistically, I think Spurs and Bolton for the UEFA Cup.

I think Sunderland and Portsmouth are certain for the drop, with the remaining place going to either Boro, West Brom or Birmingham. Hopefully Birmingham so Steve Bruce's name disappears from being related to the England managers job!

Going with Chelsea for the FA Cup and Man Utd. for the Carling.

a nirvana fan
02-19-2006, 12:33 PM
I would guess USA 29 Rotherham United 33

Cz
02-19-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm not expecting you to give me a full table quite yet, as it's still early days. But if you had to decide right this second, who would you tip for the following?

The European places.
Bottom three.
FA Cup.
League Cup.

I wouldn't be surprised if the top four stayed as they are, with the possible exception of Spurs dropping to fifth and Arsenal overtaking. I'm rather hoping that Everton can sneak into the European places (our run-in to the end of the season isn't too bad, with only Chelsea and Liverpool being that bad, really), though slightly more realistically, I think Spurs and Bolton for the UEFA Cup.

I think Sunderland and Portsmouth are certain for the drop, with the remaining place going to either Boro, West Brom or Birmingham. Hopefully Birmingham so Steve Bruce's name disappears from being related to the England managers job!

Going with Chelsea for the FA Cup and Man Utd. for the Carling.I think you're spot on, although I can't really see Middlesbrough being relegated once they get their squad back to full strengh. I'd like to see Wigan make the UEFA cup too, but I fear that they won't be consistent enough in the final part of the season. Bolton seem the most likely candidate to take that final European spot, so I'd say your predictions are sound. Good work. :)

NM
02-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Cahmpions League Places

Chelsea
Liverpool
Man Utd
Arsenal

UEFA Cup Places

Spurs
Bolton

FA Cup Winners

Liverpool

Carling Cup

Wigan

Relegated

Sunderland
Portsmouth
West Brom

Psychotic
02-19-2006, 03:25 PM
1. Chelski
2. Liverpool
3. Man U
4. Spurs
5. Arsenal
6. Bolton
7. West Ham or Blackburn...hmm...I'll say the Hammers.

Relegated
18. Middlesbrough (:))
19. Portsmouth
20. Chelsea. I mean, Sunderland.

FA Cup:
Jose's boys.

League Cup:
Wigan, I hope.

BONUSES!

UEFA Cup:
Hamburg (although they have the ugliest kit ever)

Champion's League:
Juventus.

(Ligue 1 - Lyon, Eredivisie - PSV, Bundesliga - Bayern, Serie A - Juve, La Liga - NOT BARCELONA! Valencia :))

tomamar04
02-19-2006, 06:11 PM
1. Chelsea
2. Man U
3. Liverpool
4. Spurs
5. Bolton
6. Arsenal

18. West Brom
19. Portsmouth
20. Sunderland

FA Cup - Chelsea

Carling Cup - Man U

Heath
02-19-2006, 06:18 PM
I would guess USA 29 Rotherham United 33

what

1. Chelsea
2. Man U
3. Liverpool
4. Spurs
5. Bolton
6. Arsenal

Bolton above Arsenal? You really think so?

tomamar04
02-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Look at the table and notice how Bolton have a few games in hand...

Shoden
02-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Well we all know Sunderland are going to be bottom and Chelsea are going to be top, full league tables will tell us who has too much spare time or not.

Heath
02-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Look at the table and notice how Bolton have a few games in hand...

Well yeah, hence why I tipped them for the last UEFA place. I'm still holding out for Everton though! =P

Bart's Friend Milhouse
02-19-2006, 10:42 PM
1 Chelsea
2 Liverpool
3 United
4 GOONERS!

FA Cup Chelsea
League Cup United

Relegated Birmingham City, Pompey, Sunderland

Psychotic
02-19-2006, 11:42 PM
I've noticed a couple of people have only predicted two teams for UEFA. Don't we have three places? If I remember rightly, Bolton came 6th and 'boro 7th, and Liverpool would've been given the third place for coming 5th had the incredible victory in Istanbul not occured.

Has that changed for this season? I wouldn't have thought so, seeing as said victory has increased England's league coefficient ranking up to #1 with UEFA.

Heath
02-20-2006, 01:42 AM
It depends on who wins the cups, Psy. Extra places if someone already qualifying for Europe wins a cup. I think, strictly speaking, it's only 5th that gets the UEFA cup and the Carling and FA Cup winners take the other two spots. So yeah, hence why I want Man Utd (even if ordinarily I'd much prefer Wigan) and Chelsea to win the cups (Chelsea purely for the fact it's not Liverpool =P).

HowlingMonkey
02-20-2006, 11:11 AM
I think you're spot on, although I can't really see Middlesbrough being relegated once they get their squad back to full strengh. I'd like to see Wigan make the UEFA cup too, but I fear that they won't be consistent enough in the final part of the season. Bolton seem the most likely candidate to take that final European spot, so I'd say your predictions are sound. Good work. :)

Wigan already have made the UEFA cup. Man U will be in the Champions League, so the runners up get the cup spot. Unless the League Cup works differently to the FA cup, which I don't remember being true.

As for my predictions:

1. Chelsea :love:
2. Liverpool
3. Man U
4. Tottenham
5. Bolton
6. Arsenal
Then Wigan, Blackburn, West Ham and City rounding out the top 10
11-15 made up of Villa, Fulham, Newcastle, Charlton and Everton
16. Middlesbrough
17. West Brom
18. Birmingham (man this is close to call. West Brom have experience beating the drop, which is why I'm backing them to do it again)
19. Portsmouth
20. Sunderland

FA Cup: Chelsea/Liverpool (they'll meet at some point, and the winner will win it) The only club I wouldn't mind getting it ahead of Chelsea is Newcastle, cause Shearer deserves something
League Cup: Wigan
Champions League: Winner of Chelsea/Barcelona
UEFA Cup: Erm... Some Dutch team or something

Cz
02-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Wigan already have made the UEFA cup. Man U will be in the Champions League, so the runners up get the cup spot. Unless the League Cup works differently to the FA cup, which I don't remember being true.Hey, that's right! This is the best football-related thing to happen in ages. :)

Jess
02-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Chelsea will stay 1st in the table, and I think Liverpool might be able to climb into second above Man U. Those three teams will definately stay in the top 3, though. I think that if Newcastle carry on playing well they will get back into the top 10. :)

Sunderland always get relagated and then get back into the prem after the following season, so that won't be a suprise.

As for the FA, I think either Chelsea or Liverpool will win it, although I'm hoping Newcastle will. Which is clearly not going to happen as our next tie is with chelsea. :(

Psychotic
02-21-2006, 04:40 PM
I hope Newcastle don't make the final, precisely because of Shearer. For weeks all we'd have is "Oh in his last game he has a chance to finally win something. He's a die-hard fan who turned down the offer of Man Utd's trophies for his hometown club." etc etc.

And I daren't imagine what the BBC's coverage would be like, seeing as he's one of their pundits. Brown-nosing really isn't something that appeals to me, and their Shearer suck-upery (It's a real word :() is bad enough already. The amount of times I've heard BBC commentators/pundits exclaim "Shearer would have buried that chance!" beggars belief. Ugh ugh ugh.

Jess
02-21-2006, 04:50 PM
I hope Newcastle don't make the final, precisely because of Shearer. For weeks all we'd have is "Oh in his last game he has a chance to finally win something. He's a die-hard fan who turned down the offer of Man Utd's trophies for his hometown club." etc etc.

And I daren't imagine what the BBC's coverage would be like, seeing as he's one of their pundits. Brown-nosing really isn't something that appeals to me, and their Shearer suck-upery (It's a real word :() is bad enough already. The amount of times I've heard BBC commentators/pundits exclaim "Shearer would have buried that chance!" beggars belief. Ugh ugh ugh.

Shearer rules (Obviously I'd say that, I'm a geordie). I totally respect him for choosing Newcastle over Man Utd, (but that's just because out of all teams, Man Utd are the team that I hate the most). Although, I don't want us to win the FA because of Shearer, I want us to because we've had a real terrible past two years and now Souness is gone we are starting to progress (if only a little) and winning would really get Newcastle back on their way. :)

Cz
02-21-2006, 06:12 PM
I hope Newcastle make it to the final, simply because they'd have to beat Chelsea along the way. Plus with any luck, Graeme Souness will see them lifting the trophy under their new manager and will break down in tears, before running off to the Andes to become a hermit, and will never bother us again. :)

Jess
02-21-2006, 07:26 PM
I can't wait to find out who the new manager will be. At the moment though, from his good work with the team I want Roeder (sp?) to stay. But he has already made it clear that he doesn't plan to be Newcastle's new full-time manager. A lot of people are hoping Shearer will manage when he finishes the season, it would be nice but realistically it just isn't going to happen! :spin: