PDA

View Full Version : Ultros?

Juniper Jade
02-19-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm not having a fun time trying to defeat this purple blob. I use Banon's Health ability every turn, Terra's magic, Edgar's Crossbrow and Sabin's blitz. They all do a lot of damge each round but he just always ends up killing Banon.

Any tips you can give me to help me out? Thank you! :)

nik0tine
02-20-2006, 12:31 AM
Revive Bannon.

JackNapier
02-20-2006, 12:31 AM
Well you should be killing him quite easily. What levels are you at?

Cruise Control
02-20-2006, 12:55 AM
Yeah, I just died there too, using the above strategy w/ the excpetion I don't notice it's SABIN's turn and mess up Blitz frequently. Hid did that hit-everyone-thing, then tentacle raped Banon.

edit: You can't revive Banon.
edit2: Roughly level 10

nik0tine
02-20-2006, 12:57 AM
what the fuck? You can't revive Bannon?

JackNapier
02-20-2006, 12:57 AM
So all your characters are around lv. 10? Well that is kinda low. My levels were Sabin:15 Terra:13 Edgar:14 Banon:11. I had leveled up earlier on.

TheAbominatrix
02-20-2006, 12:59 AM
what the smurf? You can't revive Bannon?

If Banon is KOed at any point during the Lete River run, you lose. He cant be revived.

Juniper Jade
02-20-2006, 01:17 AM
Ahh I'm not sure what levels my guys are at. Banon is low, I know that. But everyone else I belive is pretty good. It's just you can't really wander around and level up... Unless you can around the save points? :confused:

I'll try again later tonight. Thanks guys.

JackNapier
02-20-2006, 01:24 AM
The places I stayed and leveled up were: 1.The starting in the caves of Narshe until Terra was lv. 6. 2.Around South figaro before going to Mt. Koltz until all my characters were equal or above lv. 12. Those are the only places I had to level up before the 1st Ultros fight.

TheAbominatrix
02-20-2006, 01:27 AM
If you've saved at the place right before Ultros, you're kind of stuck with the levels you have.

Place Banon in the back row if you havent already, and make sure his health is always at 100%. You may wanna have him defend when it's time for Ultros to attack him with the tentacle.

JackNapier
02-20-2006, 01:30 AM
Oh yeah that reminds me. It helps to have ALL of your characters in the back row since none of their attacks will be affected.

Juniper Jade
02-20-2006, 01:44 AM
Ooh! Good idea! That totally slipped my mind! Haha. Thanks! :D

Cruise Control
02-20-2006, 02:05 AM
THERES A BACK ROW!

TheAbominatrix
02-20-2006, 02:07 AM
Yes, there is.

Cruise Control
02-20-2006, 02:09 AM
How do I place people in it? This is my first playthrough and ROM's don't come with instructions.

TheAbominatrix
02-20-2006, 02:20 AM
The same way you switch positions in the menu screen. Just press confirm twice, and it should move them back.

That is, if I'm remembering it right. It's been a long time.

Tavrobel
02-20-2006, 02:33 AM
Yes, the back row. If I recall, in the menu screen, if you press left or , it should bring up a small box at the top saying "order/row", with the hand on a character. If you press "A", the the character's portrait will move to the left or right. Right means back row, left means front. Press down to chage other character's positions.

Chances are, Tentacle will still kill Banon, so the best thing to do is to attack with a Blitz, Auto-Crossbow, and Fire, and hope for the best. Ultros tends to react violently whenever he talks, often with Tentacle. Also don't bother curing darkness; it doesn't affect the characters in any way.

If you are lucky, you shoud be able to kill Ultros from level 6 or higher. It doesn't matter if anyone else dies, as long as Banon doesn't die (who can't get revived anyways, so don't argue). Shouldn't be TOO difficult, even if you have level 7 characters with all 4 in the front row. (Although no one told me to power level when I played it...)

Ron Francis
02-20-2006, 03:02 AM
Enough levels and nothing matters. To any dispute of this, I say, "More levels!!!"

TheAbominatrix
02-20-2006, 03:05 AM
If you've saved at the place right before Ultros, you're kind of stuck with the levels you have.

yuno
02-20-2006, 07:08 AM
i always tried a low-level game in the beginning to maximize the use of espers.i never trained the characters before the espers arrive.what im trying to say is that,you dont need to gain a lot of levels to defeat ultros.putting banon in back row is enough.put everyone in the back row for that matter.

Cubster
02-20-2006, 09:32 AM
If you are low on levels and have a couple of tents, you can try building up on the river. I think when you are on the final path toward Ultros, pick "Straight" or "Left" when you are prompted and you should go in circles. Use Banon's Health ability to stay alive and when you think you have reached a sufficent level (probably anywhere from lv. 12-15), use a tent and save your game and try fighting Ultros. Hope this helps.

Acid Raine
02-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Im planning on doing some serious leveling tonight. With everyting set on memory, and Banon set on healer, all I have to do is rubber band my controller, leave it on, go beddy-bye, and Im shootin' blanks, right? (yes....I have one of those crontrollers....)

Cruise Control
02-20-2006, 10:58 AM
All this is moot, but incredibly appreciated, since I just beat tunnel armor. So there will be a difference in teh charachter portraints locatoin.

WOOT! THANK Y'ALL.

Stayin Dizzy
02-21-2006, 04:30 AM
most importantly in the 1st ultros fight: notice that bannons heal all spell uses 0 magic points. he should be healing every turn

Acid Raine
02-21-2006, 04:44 AM
Well.......the leveling plan backfired. I somehow managed to get a game over. So, I gave up, and fought Ultros at lvl 13. It was very easy.

Terra - Fire
Sabin - Blitz/Pummel
Edgar - AutoCrossbow
Banon - Health
everyone in the back row

Do those things over and over, it was easy.

Cruise Control
02-21-2006, 11:02 AM
Sabin - Blitz/Pummel

Down, Down, Left. It's superior.

Now I have a question. I'm using the right combos for advanced blitzes, but only Suplex and under are working, why?

boys from the dwarf
02-21-2006, 05:46 PM
So all your characters are around lv. 10? Well that is kinda low. My levels were Sabin:15 Terra:13 Edgar:14 Banon:11. I had leveled up earlier on.
i think you just level up a lot because at this point my chars were around LVL 11-12 i think and also banon was only level 8 and i got through just fine. put banon in the back row and make sure the only thing that he uses is heal.

ljkkjlcm9
02-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Down, Down, Left. It's superior.

Now I have a question. I'm using the right combos for advanced blitzes, but only Suplex and under are working, why?

he hasn't learned any of the new moves yet. When he reaches a certain level it'll say after he levels up, at the top of the screen "Mastered a New Blitz" then you can use a new blitz. Until then you're stuck with the ones he knows, which is up til Suplex.

THE JACKEL

Tavrobel
02-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Yeah, if Sabin could Bum Rush all game, no boss would survive past 3 turns until the WoR.

Llanowar
02-21-2006, 09:01 PM
But I have to admit about DOMA I would REALLY love to smack that fleeing Clown with a good Bum Rush.

Back to whomever made the comment about trying the turbo controller leveling on the Lete River.....You need to actually stay by the controller for a few levels because Banon is as a General Rule your slowest person and as such does not get a heal off in a lot of battles.....this Early on in the LETE LEVELLING spree Can cause him to lose HP slowly but surely and die if the battles don't happen to last long enuf, or you get extremely unlucky.

TheAbominatrix
02-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Even if he knows Suplex at this point, I dont think you can use it against Ultros.

Llanowar
02-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Who cares about Suplex in under 1 hour 20 mins I can have EVERY character at Ultros and level 17-20 depending on how many Pteradons I got lucky to find on the Lete River.

TheAbominatrix
02-21-2006, 11:25 PM
That's wonderful. The person we're trying to help is at the save point right before Ultros, and thus has no time to level up. So your levels arent really helping.

Llanowar
02-21-2006, 11:34 PM
My statement was made in response to someone earlier saying they had set the turbo controller to do the levelling sequence and had gotten a Game over. I thought u were making reference to my previous post in your post about Suplex working or not working. Sorry.

TheAbominatrix
02-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Ah, no worries. I got a bit confused myself <3

Cruise Control
02-21-2006, 11:46 PM
If I'm confusing people I'm about to make a thread to put all my n00b questions in. Is this the game where tonberries use step mine btw?

Llanowar
02-21-2006, 11:49 PM
I believe years ago I had tonberries and other mobs use step mine, but I am not 100% sure of which cool attacks went with which enemies, so don't hold me to that :D

Cruise Control
02-21-2006, 11:51 PM
Well theres a step counter so I assume so.

Juniper Jade
02-22-2006, 02:59 AM
Little update: I put everyone in the back row and defeated Ultros! Whoop whoop. So thanks for all your help everyone! :D

Acid Raine
02-22-2006, 03:22 AM
A little late.....it doesnt matter, Im far past that part now ^-^

Cruise Control
02-22-2006, 11:05 AM
Me too, I can't find that damn gate. I can't find the mountain. THE AIRSHIPS TOO FAST.

Llanowar
02-22-2006, 05:15 PM
You do not actually see the ESPER GATE which is what I believe you are referring to. What you will see is a SINGLE house on the East (I believe) side of the continent...past a Desert and you land next to it and enter to get to the sealed gate.

Cruise Control
02-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Ah, I was looking for a mountain trail thing, like Narshe. Because that's what you see in the scene. I appreciate this correction.

KoShiatar
02-23-2006, 12:14 PM
No, there is nothing on the map. The Esper Gate part is tricky because of that.