02-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Here's my list of names that I think are funny, starting in alphabetical order:

Boine
Dark Wind
Famers
Gigas
Lightning Bolt
Porksor
Proteus(this a species name of a bacteria I learned in class)
Snow Wind
Tatoolo(a human name)
Tborne(sounds like T-bone)
World

There are some I can't remember as of right now. When it comes back to me, I'll post it. Until then, post names that you think are funny.

BG-57
02-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Rich (should have been the summon Lich)
Strawberry (generic soldier name)
Tingel (surname for Meliadoul, Izlude, and Vormav)
Meliadoul
Rofel (sounds like ROFL)
Flotiball
Mimic Daravon
Pooh (Porky attack)
Little Carrot (Morbol name)

BTW, proteus is Greek for 'first'. It's the root of the prefix proto- and the word protein.

Bendak
02-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Mustadio.

Tempest
02-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Flansburgh - Generic name

feioncastor
02-21-2006, 02:15 AM
Well, this one will take some time to explain.

My friend Andrew and I recently played through FFT. It was his first time, and probably my 20th. Well, he and I have this running joke going. You see, being males, we two are quite appreciative of the female form, including breasts. Heh, I think most men are equally as appreciative of breasts. We had a joke where we would call them a word that would be pronounced "tahn-tahrs". We had never written it out, so we had no set spelling. We could be in public and yell something like "TAHN-TAHRS!!!" and no one would know what we meant, so we'd always get away with it.

Well, in FFT we finally got to Finath River and we were fighting the load of Chocobos there. He took them all out but one. A red one.

The red chocobo was running from him, a lot. Agrias was dead, and so was the mage, so we had a knight, a monk and a samurai. The chocobo would simply hit and run with Choco meteor, and the fight was looking grim.

After the bird felled all but one of his guys (his monk), and there were two counters on zero, the chocobo was finally in attack range, with a wave fist. It was now or never. If this wave fist didn't kill this animal, someone would crystalize, and the game would be reset and we'd have to try the fight over.

So, anxious to kill the bird, Andrew exited the attack screen to check the Red Chocobos name, so he could shout at it by name as he finished it off. And when he did check that out, the Red Chocobo was named:

Tantars.

yuno
02-21-2006, 07:28 AM
goodman.yes,that's a generic unit name.funny i put the thief class on that guy,and he ends up a "badman" after all.

Dalkaen
02-21-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm tremendously shallow when it comes to unit names. By default, I was given a nice Chemist with 74 Faith, but his name was Bugsy. Naturally, I had to go recruit another soldier with somewhat lesser Faith, but at least his name wasn't Bugsy... I recruited someone to replace a female Squire named Vanilla, as well.

yuno
02-21-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm tremendously shallow when it comes to unit names. By default, I was given a nice Chemist with 74 Faith, but his name was Bugsy. Naturally, I had to go recruit another soldier with somewhat lesser Faith, but at least his name wasn't Bugsy... I recruited someone to replace a female Squire named Vanilla, as well.you should have just renamed them before you recruited them.74 faith in recruitment is very rare.

Dalkaen
02-21-2006, 03:05 PM
you should have just renamed them before you recruited them.74 faith in recruitment is very rare.
I didn't get Bugsy at the soldier's office. I had him by default. I don't think there's a way to rename units you get at the beginning of the game, is there?

MogThief
02-21-2006, 04:18 PM
The name Chang sounds funny.

BG-57
02-21-2006, 04:44 PM
I didn't get Bugsy at the soldier's office. I had him by default. I don't think there's a way to rename units you get at the beginning of the game, is there?

Not by normal means. I like to pick my units' names, so I get all my generics at Soldier Offices.

Dalkaen
02-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Not by normal means. I like to pick my units' names, so I get all my generics at Soldier Offices.
Yeah, that's what I do. But if the game gives me a unit with exceptionally good Brave/Faith and a name that I like, I'll keep them.

BG-57
02-21-2006, 05:39 PM
You can permenantly raise Brave and Faith anyways, but I prefer to start out with generics that already have a Brave and Faith of 70. So I spend a lot of time in Chapter 1 recruiting and oufitting four generics.

MogThief
02-21-2006, 06:59 PM
goodman.yes,that's a generic unit name.funny i put the thief class on that guy,and he ends up a "badman" after all.

I never thought about that. :laugh:

Do you know what's really funny -- seeing a uribo named Gigas or a porky named Porksor.

feioncastor
02-21-2006, 11:15 PM
You can permenantly raise Brave and Faith anyways, but I prefer to start out with generics that already have a Brave and Faith of 70. So I spend a lot of time in Chapter 1 recruiting and oufitting four generics.
What do brave and faith even do?

I know that one of them increases your chances to find a good item with move find item, if it's lower. Like, I think it's brave. If you have a low brave, you're more likely to get the good item.

But other than that, what do they do?

BG-57
02-22-2006, 12:52 AM
Brave affects physical attacks and defense. The higher the number, the better your physical offense and defense are. A low Brave makes it easier to find rare treasures by Move-Find (odds of getting the rare item is equal to 100% - Brave).

Faith affects how much damage your spells do and also how much damage spells do to you. Both healing and offensive magic are affected by Faith. Having a Faith of 0 (Innocent) makes you immune to spells completely.

feioncastor
02-22-2006, 02:21 AM
Faith affects how much damage your spells do and also how much damage spells do to you. Both healing and offensive magic are affected by Faith. Having a Faith of 0 (Innocent) makes you immune to spells completely.
So having a faith of 0 would also make your spells ridiculously weak, right?

Tempest
02-22-2006, 03:10 AM
Yeah, your magic won't effect anything. Itll just do 0 damage or healing, or miss.

BG-57
02-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Of course both physical and spell damage are also affected by Zodiac alignments.

Another funny name:

Rubber Suit

Bowser
02-23-2006, 12:12 AM
Zalbag
Mustardio :p

Darth Tjador
02-23-2006, 12:18 AM
Mustard! :)

MogThief
02-23-2006, 04:57 PM
I forgot all about Meatis; that's a pretty funny name. I think it's a mistranslation of meatus, which means "canal." I learned this in anatomy & physiology.

feioncastor
02-23-2006, 05:33 PM
I forgot all about Meatis; that's a pretty funny name. I think it's a mistranslation of meatus, which means "canal." I learned this in anatomy & physiology.
A mistranslation in Final Fantasy Tactics? I don't believe that for a second!!

Ziekfried
02-24-2006, 05:07 PM
YO! I have often seen humans with the name "Dog".

MogThief
02-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Don't forget about Petes!

Dark Messenger
02-28-2006, 11:06 AM
I have seen female units with the name 'Seth'!

MogThief
03-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Badum....that's a pretty funny name, especially on a priest, but it would suit a thief perfectly well. :D