PDA

View Full Version : Some Q's about Dragon Quest VIII

LunarWeaver
02-20-2006, 06:50 PM
I've shown some passing interest in the series before but I've never played any in the DQ series. I think I should I buy VIII but there are some things I'm kind of confused about...

I went on a review frenzy and everyone seems to be polarized. Some say the music is awesome, some say it sucks...Some love the story and some think it's too bland...The battle system is fun or it's horrible...

I've played a ton of RPGs and wouldn't say the traditional menus and traditional system is my favorite but I like it enough, so that's no problem. But I've read it takes forever to level up, and that drove me crazy in Xenosaga coz I beat the game at like level 25. I realize DQ8 is supposed to be super long but will it take me like 10 hours just to progress from 40 to 41?

Obviously, I like a good story, but quite frankly the overall plot of this game blows. But that's OK, because I'm also a character/"event" kind of fellow too. So what I'm asking is, since there's only 4 characters do the other 3 get a lot of development and all that crazy junk? I've read a lot it's like they don't even exist and they barely say or do anything, and since Hero doesn't ever talk (which I actually don't like at all but I can put up with it...Chrono Trigger is teh awesomez after all) that would bum me out. I mean, I played and loved Lunar:Silver Star Story because I was into the characters more then anything else. What I meant by event was will I want to make it to the next town just to see the new inventive place or problem. In Dark Cloud 2 I kept going just to see what new challenge awaited me, so I was hoping Level-5 took the same approach.

And one last thing, is replenishing MP a huge hassle? Final Fantasy treats ethers way too special, but they give you tents and other ways to make sure you aren't just selecting "attack" all the time in every battle. Or are the skills/spells even that useful?

I'm both intrigued and kind of not by this game so I'm just confused. Because I have no prior experience with the series none of the music or enemies will hold any nostalgia factor to me, so I just wonder if it will still be fun for me or not...Hmm, I guess what I'm really looking for is opinions that aren't trying to tell me it's the greatest or worst thing ever, coz that's all I can find!

McLovin'
02-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Play it; you'll like it.

abrojtm
02-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Honestly, it's not worth the fifty bucks that I paid for it, but I got what was to be expected.

If you're a fan of the series, by all means, buy it. I'm sure you'll love it.
However, not much has changed since the times of DQ1 as far as the series goes.

I for one liked the music. However, it was pretty limited and got repetitive sort of quickly. The only song that stuck in my head for good was the one when you are riding the tiger.

The other characters in your party don't have very intense personalities after the points in which you get them in your party. King Trode has more lines than your other companions, and he's not even in your party.

The Alchemy system is good enough, but it's nothing new as far as gaming goes, and it's very limited. Monster training was pretty fun though.

Graphics are good if you like those kind of graphics, control is ok, but battles go horrendously slow. And it is incredibly easy to run out of MP.

Also, I did like the system of leveling weapons, although leveling anyone in general was horribly painstaking especially after I got the Godbird.

That's all I can think of for now.

Khaotic
02-21-2006, 12:56 AM
Play it; you'll like it.
Everyone is different.

I personally didn't like it, I hate rpg's where the main character doesn't talk at all, it gets rather annoying "So, ___ are we ready to go , how should we plan this" "Main Character: *nods head, has a lightbulb above his head* "Ohh.. that sounds like a good plan!" or whatever, you get what I mean. To me, that ruins the character, you don't get to learn much about him/her. The battle system is alright I suppose, but it gets pretty tiring after awhile. Storyline wise, I honestly don't even remember most of it, i quit halfway through the game because it was just plain boring, too much running around on a huge world map, bosses weren't very challenging.

IMO: 6/10 for the rating.

McLovin'
02-21-2006, 03:30 PM
I liked Dragon Warrior 7 much better. And I agree with you, Khaotic, about the silent main character thing. (what is up with that anyways?)

DJZen
02-23-2006, 03:45 AM
The reason they don't develop the main character is because he's meant to be a portrayal of you.

Zeromus_X
02-23-2006, 03:58 AM
I've shown some passing interest in the series before but I've never played any in the DQ series. I think I should I buy VIII but there are some things I'm kind of confused about...

I went on a review frenzy and everyone seems to be polarized. Some say the music is awesome, some say it sucks...Some love the story and some think it's too bland...The battle system is fun or it's horrible...

I've played a ton of RPGs and wouldn't say the traditional menus and traditional system is my favorite but I like it enough, so that's no problem. But I've read it takes forever to level up, and that drove me crazy in Xenosaga coz I beat the game at like level 25. I realize DQ8 is supposed to be super long but will it take me like 10 hours just to progress from 40 to 41?

Obviously, I like a good story, but quite frankly the overall plot of this game blows. But that's OK, because I'm also a character/"event" kind of fellow too. So what I'm asking is, since there's only 4 characters do the other 3 get a lot of development and all that crazy junk? I've read a lot it's like they don't even exist and they barely say or do anything, and since Hero doesn't ever talk (which I actually don't like at all but I can put up with it...Chrono Trigger is teh awesomez after all) that would bum me out. I mean, I played and loved Lunar:Silver Star Story because I was into the characters more then anything else. What I meant by event was will I want to make it to the next town just to see the new inventive place or problem. In Dark Cloud 2 I kept going just to see what new challenge awaited me, so I was hoping Level-5 took the same approach.

And one last thing, is replenishing MP a huge hassle? Final Fantasy treats ethers way too special, but they give you tents and other ways to make sure you aren't just selecting "attack" all the time in every battle. Or are the skills/spells even that useful?

I'm both intrigued and kind of not by this game so I'm just confused. Because I have no prior experience with the series none of the music or enemies will hold any nostalgia factor to me, so I just wonder if it will still be fun for me or not...Hmm, I guess what I'm really looking for is opinions that aren't trying to tell me it's the greatest or worst thing ever, coz that's all I can find!

If you like the classic turn-based system of battle, you'll like it.

DQ stays true to it's roots; gameplay and story haven't changed much, althought the characters (bar the Hero, who is supposed to be a portrayal of you like the above poster said) are pretty well-developed.

However, It is alot more challenging than most RPGs I've seen, keeping to it's roots also means it doesn't spoil us by giving free items or leveling up super fast like most modern rpgs I've played.

As far as leveling, by the end of the game, you should be in your late 30s, maybe 40s if you like leveling. Of course, there are ways to get mass exp/gold, like most rpgs. (metal slimes species, gold golems.) It won't take too long to level, but don't think you'll need to be levelling up ten levels before the next area, 3 or 4 is good enough.

Yes, battles are a bit more strategic, you definitely won't be pressing "attack" all the time. There are plenty of spells, special abilities you get depending on how you build your characters.

Unfortunately, also by staying to it's roots, you may be totally lost on some story areas (i.e., what the hell am I supposed to do now?), so you may want to use an online faq. (The Brady guide isn't very good...)

That's all I can think of right now. Hopefully that followed all of what you said... :cat:

LunarWeaver
02-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Thank you everyone ^_^ That was most helpful...I've decided it's nothing I need right now based on what you all said...I think I'll just wait until it's like ten bucks three years from now and buy it then. I don't see any real reason to go rushing into it honestly. Graphics don't mean diddly to me, so it seems that if I wanted to play this style of game I could just go drag out any old RPG and there ya go.