PDA

View Full Version : FAQ: Hangovers

-N-
02-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Some of you may wonder how to prevent hangovers. This thread is for those to contribute tips, and promote discussion on this horrendous disorder that affects every person who matters.

I have a tip - drink water before you go to sleep.
I have another tip - drink a beer when you wake up.
I have yet another tip - but I don't really feel like typing it.
And finally - when's that EoFF AA meeting going to happen?

Peace out,
Sober McSoberson

Mo-Nercy
02-21-2006, 12:23 PM
You'll be able to hold your liquor better on a full stomach. Have a mighty meal beforehand and try to work a lot of starch into it. Potatoes are god at this.

Keep drinking stuff like soft drinks and water as you drink alcohol. Personally, I like to munch on ice in between drinks. Don't go too hard. If you're planning on drinking a lot of alcohol, it's better to pace yourself than to slam it down within a short space of time. But I understand that this isn't always possible, especially if you're as bad at drinking games as I am. xD

These tips help you to not get drunk in the first place. But remember, it's a delicate balance. Filling up your stomach won't make you invincible and if you do exceed your limits and vomit, having a full stomach is going to be much much worse for you (and whoever has to clean up after/take care of you).

So I'd like to finish up with the best piece of advice, drink responsibly.

Lost Number
02-21-2006, 12:37 PM
It takes 1 hour for one unit of alcohol to get out of yer system, roughly.
Also, apparently, if you take lemon juice along with the alcohol that helps.

Meat Puppet
02-21-2006, 12:46 PM

I heard you squirt the lemon juice in your eye.

Lost Number
02-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Thats the one!

Fonzie
02-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Drink Orange Juice in the morning to help the hangover.

Giga Guess
02-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Water. Just lots of water. An easy half of the hangover is simply dehydration. Also Vitamin B12(I think) also helps I've heard. Finally, as Mo said, pace yourself.

Dignified Pauper
02-21-2006, 01:57 PM
water and sleep are the only things that will effectively decrease the severity of a hang-over. The rest all depends on your liver.

I hear brown people have bad livers.

Rye
02-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Isn't there just a pill you can take before (or is it after? But then again, most people would forget) you drink so that you wake up the morning after without a hangover

Psychotic
02-21-2006, 02:43 PM
I have another tip: DON'T GET DRUNK LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

There, now nobody needs to say that ever again. And if you do, I hope your nose falls off and the doctors say they can't sew it back on, and you're forced to live out the rest of your life as a noseless freak, instead of just an unfunny and unoriginal freak (like me).

boris no no
02-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Some of you may wonder how to prevent hangovers. This thread is for those to contribute tips, and promote discussion on this horrendous disorder that affects every person who matters.

I have a tip - drink water before you go to sleep.
I have another tip - drink a beer when you wake up.
I have yet another tip - but I don't really feel like typing it.
And finally - when's that EoFF AA meeting going to happen?

Peace out,
Sober McSoberson
How about not drink?...wait no! drinking is goooood
The AA meeting will take place when me you and frunk are all on the same continent, or at least the same hemisphere :P

fire_of_avalon
02-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Don't go crazy on the super sugary mixed drinks or bitch beers. I shotgunned two of those fruity Smirnoff things on Friday (after drinking like, three pina colada's and three other fruity Smirnoff things) and I got the worst sugar cramps I've ever had in my life. Also, bad things happened with my evacuation process for most of the weekend.

Psychotic
02-21-2006, 02:47 PM
How about not drink?boris no nose. :irked:

boris no no
02-21-2006, 02:47 PM
(after drinking like, three pina colada's and three other fruity Smirnoff things) .
*sings*
If yooooou like pina coladas, and like getting caught in the raaaaain!!!!!

DK
02-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Last St.Patricks day I had drunk around 10 pints of Guinness and a bottle of cider, and I was rather drunk and would very usually get a hangover from drinking so much and not being sick. But inbetween going from one pub to another, me and my two friends went to the off license to get some more beer and stuff, and I randomly bought a bottle of rosé wine. Just as we got into bed to go to sleep, Ant passed out, and me and Pitman randomly talked drunk crap for a while, and I drank the bottle of wine right then before going to bed. When I woke up, I had no hangover. I'm going to try it again sometime to see if it was a fluke or if it really works.

Twisted Tinkerbell
02-21-2006, 02:55 PM
I find that a pint of water before ya go to bed helps.

If you wake up with a hangover I find drinking tomato juice helps cure it.

Cuchulainn
02-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Eat a banana too. Replacing your potassium levels. So much to do before you take your drunken ass to bed. Pity you're too drunk to do them.

I rarely suffere from hangovers, but when I do, I find painkillers & telling everyone within earshot to 'f88k up & f88k off' helps tremendously.

Markus. D
02-21-2006, 03:30 PM
as I was told by Mitto's Mother.

Panadol, Berrocca and a Mars Bar, your all set apparently.

DarkLord
02-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Or just endure the agony and evilness. Here's a good tip... Instead of drinking loads of water the morning after, drink water the night before too, only water... yum, water.

Lindy
02-21-2006, 03:50 PM
You know it's funny, I was just doing a "lab practical" today about elution of alcohol from the human body.

By practical I mean, me and a few other people got drunk and wobbled around while we were tested every half an hour on a breathalizer.

Basically, here's how it goes :

The average person's maximal alcohol limit is 11ml for females and 18ml for males per stone of weight, this is on the average percentage vodka which is a good approximation for a single unit.

So, I weigh 8 stone which is 8 x 18ml = 144, rounded down to 125ml, or five standard units of vodka.

This is the maximum amount of alcohol which a person's kidneys can process at their maximum rate, anything over this maximum will still be eluted at the same rate, and anything below it will be processed at a slower rate.

In the time it takes for a person to consume an average unit, you'll be eluting half that through your kidneys, so assuming an hour for a unit half of that will be gone by the time you're finished drinking.

So in terms of balance, you drink a pint of average beer over two hours (which accounts for two units), and you'll be eluting a single unit of alcohol (two half pints worth), meaning you'll have one left in your system.

Consume two beers over two hours, you'll still only elute one unit and thus have three left in your system.

The problem of hangovers comes when you have excess alcohol in your system by the time your body "shuts down", so in order to avoid a problem you need to allow adequate time for your body to elute all the alcohol. For those two pints, you'd need four hours to fully clear the alcohol from your system.

Of course, adding water can speed up the process somewhat, and whether or not you've eaten before or after drinking can affect the absorbtion/elution process.

After all that, the point I'm making is that <b><i>before you sleep you have to allow time for the alcohol to pass through your body, and then you'll never, ever suffer from a hangover.</i></b>

DMKA
02-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Hangovers make me all the more glad that I don't drink and most likely never will. I'll never, ever understand the appeal of drinking horrid tasting and smelling body destroying crap only to make you wake up the next morning throwing up with a killer headache.

But whatever floats your boat.

Jess
02-21-2006, 04:01 PM
I was going to say what Ironicles said, just stay awake until you are sober. The best way to avoid a hangover.

An other way to avoid hangovers is eat before you sleep (eating bread/toast or potatoes work best), and drinking plenty of water. :roll:

SammieBabe
02-21-2006, 04:26 PM
What used to help me was eating a carb and starch heavy dinner, and drinking water with my drinks. Then before I'd crash, I'd have a full glass of water and two Advil/Tylenol/Aleve whatever...

amratis
02-21-2006, 04:32 PM
*sings*
If yooooou like pina coladas, and like getting caught in the raaaaain!!!!!

Do you actually know any of the other lines to that song? Please answer No.

Old Manus
02-21-2006, 05:43 PM
Keep drinking until you die.

This has a 100% success rate

edczxcvbnm
02-21-2006, 05:49 PM
I hear drinking a 32oz bottle of Gatoraid does the trick.

Dreddz
02-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Ive heard of drinking water before bed before, I have never done it though, at the time, You just cant be bothered. I know what a Hangover is like, not pleasant, but not painful, just gives you an unpleasant head ache. Not that bad.

DK
02-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Ive heard of drinking water before bed before, I have never done it though, at the time, You just cant be bothered. I know what a Hangover is like, not pleasant, but not painful, just gives you an unpleasant head ache. Not that bad.

You've never had a bad hangover.

Levian
02-21-2006, 07:31 PM
A bad hangover is when you wake up in another country with a naked person next to you, and you're not quite sure what gender it has.

I guess it would be even worse if you had a bad hair day too.

Old Manus
02-21-2006, 07:52 PM
A bad hangover is when you wake up in another country with a naked person next to you, and you're not quite sure what gender it has.
You know full well who I was

Levian
02-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Yeah, just not the gender.

ScottNUMBERS
02-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Drinking is baaaad. :( (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=73252)

Tifa's Real Lover(really
02-21-2006, 09:30 PM
or any other fruit

Captain Maxx Power
02-21-2006, 09:35 PM
This thread is for those to contribute tips, and promote discussion on this horrendous disorder that affects every person who matters.

And thus with one stroke I am rendered useless to the universe.

Clouded Sky
02-21-2006, 09:36 PM
DRINKING IS BAD!

*covers and hides nose*

look_out_below
02-22-2006, 12:10 AM
Dont drink a mix of different alcoholic beverages on one occasion. If for example you start with rum drinks, stick with rum drinks for the rest of the night/drinking excersion. This will not only decrease the chance of a hangover the next morning, but you will be able to drink more too:p .

Calliope
02-22-2006, 02:10 AM
So Neel, how's O-Week treating you? xD

Shlup
02-22-2006, 04:43 AM
Just don't take painkillers with alcohol in your system. It can cause stomach bleeding.

-N-
02-22-2006, 04:50 AM
So Neel, how's O-Week treating you? xDYou and me and Face need to meet up. I got bored way too fast with Orientation. :\

roxy
02-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Eat a really greasy breakfast!

nik0tine
02-22-2006, 11:59 AM
I find that if I only drink hard liqour I seldom get hangovers. For me, the simplest hangover remedy is to never drink beer or flavored/spiced liquor.

In short, drink hard and take it straight and you should be fine.

Mo-Nercy
02-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Eat a really greasy breakfast!
True that. After a night of partying we all usually stroll down to the McDonalds that I work at and get the motherload of all brekky orders (for half price xD)

So many Hash Browns. :eek: